Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Ubisoft Closing Online Servers for Several Games

• SanadaSanada707,935
    Posted on 10 August 14 at 01:07
    It's best to just ignore him when he's on these tangents. Just laugh at his expense and be done with it.
  • wbswbs965,089
    Posted on 10 August 14 at 03:55, Edited on 10 August 14 at 03:56 by wbs
    Anyone want to send me their copy of Avatar for $5? If so PM me.
  • jordaUwUjordaUwU955,572
    Posted on 10 August 14 at 04:12
    Legal Integrity said:Best In Philly, you should probably stop commenting on this thread. You were wrong before, don't dig yourself into a bigger hole. Yeah he's wrong again. Powerup Heroes also went down.
    Whats ratio?
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 10 August 14 at 05:48
    For some reason this thread is reminding me of this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuW6tQ0218&feature=player_detailpage#t=31

gamerboyTHXtss said:Legal Integrity said:Best In Philly, you should probably stop commenting on this thread. You were wrong before, don't dig yourself into a bigger hole. Yeah he's wrong again. Powerup Heroes also went down.Not only that but there's also a bunch of discontinued stuff in the other games, it's just not that every game has achievements that are affected.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln
  • AngrymagnoxAngrymagnox957,294
    Posted on 10 August 14 at 08:03
    As the GRAW 2 co-op remains unaffected I am hosting session at 2300 GMT for the next week in order to get the co-op section completed. Sign up if you are interested
    Angrymagnox
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 10 August 14 at 13:25
    Thank God GR: FS is still up.
  • Posted on 10 August 14 at 13:31
    The Turgyptian said:Thank God GR: FS is still up.Future Soldier? It's only two years old, and wasn't even alluded to being included in this shutdown list by Ubisoft.
    Supporter of unpopular opinions.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 10 August 14 at 14:07
    Mobius Evalon said:The Turgyptian said:Thank God GR: FS is still up.Future Soldier? It's only two years old, and wasn't even alluded to being included in this shutdown list by Ubisoft.Would make sense for them to shut down 360 games to make room for One games on their servers, especially with the shitload of Ubisoft Xbox One titles coming out in 2015 that would require massive server space. Ubisoft's servers are known to fail every now and then so this move was understandable on their part. You're right though, silly of me to think they'd shut down a two-year old game that's still alive and well multiplayer-wise.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 10 August 14 at 14:56
    I think guys Splinter Cell Conviction will be next to shutdown completely.
  • NorqueatszNorqueatsz144,756
    Posted on 10 August 14 at 16:01
    Glad I decided to get avatar done. Good ratios for easy achievements
  • DaOverUnderDaOverUnder1,691,934
    Posted on 10 August 14 at 16:22, Edited on 10 August 14 at 16:33 by DaOverUnder
    You guys don't get it. My argument was that peer to peer can't be shut down.

It still can't!

I was wrong about some of these games being peer to peer.

Digging myself a hole is saying, "these games are peer to peer, and here's why I think so"... Then it turns out they are not peer to peer.

What had actually happened is that they shut down everything server based. I seem to recall that I said that Shaun White upload achievement, as well as Motionsports shit was server based. Well before it shut down.

So I was wrong on:
    Power Up Heroes

I was right on:
    Motionsports
    America's Army
    Pure Football
    End War
    Shaun White Snowboarding
    Double Agent
    GRAW 2

Why is that? Because they had made a mistake as I said before. They lumped together games already shutdown with games that were going down.

I was wrong on literally two games being peer to peer. When the whole argument was that peer to peer games can't be shut down.

If you guys had thought I was wrong, why didn't you say, "I agree with you -- Peer to Peer games can't be shut down, however, Avatar as well as PowerUp Heroes are server based."

You didn't. You guys didn't try to argue not that those two games were server based, but rather, that those two games could be shut down even though they were peer to peer.

You guys had no idea what the hell you were arguing about, you blindlty took what Ubisoft said for face value. (Correctly, luckily enough for you) Everything I said was true with the exception of thinking that two out of TEN games were peer to peer.

(Keep in mind I correctly stated that MotionSports as well as Shaun White were server based)

It's very clear that you were only right based on the fact these games were server-based. Something you never pointed out, because you guys have no idea what you're talking about.

Though you can keep circle-jerking each other thinking that you won the argument.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 10 August 14 at 17:18
    Mobius Evalon said:The Turgyptian said:Thank God GR: FS is still up.Future Soldier? It's only two years old, and wasn't even alluded to being included in this shutdown list by Ubisoft.Says the guy who thinks Homefront's online servers were peer-to-peer.

Best ln Philly said:You guys don't get it. My argument was that peer to peer can't be shut down.

It still can't!

Digging myself a hole is saying, "these games are peer to peer, and here's why I think so"... Then it turns out they are not peer to peer.

What had actually happened is that they shut down everything server based. I seem to recall that I said that Shaun White upload achievement, as well as Motionsports shit was server based. Well before it shut down.

So I was wrong on:
    Power Up Heroes

I was right on:
    Motionsports
    America's Army
    Pure Football
    End War
    Shaun White Snowboarding
    Double Agent
    GRAW 2

Why is that? Because they had made a mistake as I said before. They lumped together games already shutdown with games that were going down.

I was wrong on literally two games being peer to peer. When the whole argument was that peer to peer games can't be shut down.

If you guys had thought I was wrong, why didn't you say, "I agree with you -- Peer to Peer games can't be shut down, however, Avatar as well as PowerUp Heroes are server based."

You didn't. You guys didn't try to argue not that those two games were server based, but rather, that those two games could be shut down even though they were peer to peer.

You guys had no idea what the hell you were arguing about, you blindlty took what Ubisoft said for face value. (Correctly, luckily enough for you) Everything I said was true with the exception of thinking that two out of TEN games were peer to peer.

(Keep in mind I correctly stated that MotionSports as well as Shaun White were server based)

It's very clear that you were only right based on the fact these games were server-based. Something you never pointed out, because you guys have no idea what you're talking about.

Though you can keep circle-jerking each other thinking that you won the argument.
    Well said, #BLP.
    #BLP #PeerToPeer
  • misfit119misfit1191,088,746
    Posted on 10 August 14 at 21:00, Edited on 10 August 14 at 21:02 by misfit119
    Best ln Philly said:You guys don't get it. My argument was that peer to peer can't be shut down.

It still can't!

Fact is you were telling everyone not to worry, nothing's going to be shut down and come Friday we'd see you were right. Well if anyone was stupid enough to listen to you and didn't bumrush at least some of these games they'd be screwed. I chose not to listen to the person who was making an argument out of the issue and LO! I have my Avatar achievements just before they went away. I mean it's not like the games you were saying they couldn't close were almost all the ones they'd said were closed as of last year. It's not like you were saying that the NEW games on that list couldn't possibly be closed either because you totes just knew they couldn't.

But do go on and tell us how the wise person who was telling us nothing was going down but couldn't be bothered to find out if what he was talking about was actually server based or not was actually not wrong. I mean sure, before I go around telling people that something can't be closed down because it uses one method of online gameplay I actually look around online to find out of it actually IS using that method. But that's just me - I don't like being wrong.

because you guys have no idea what you're talking about.Ah that wondrous mix of furious backpedaling mixed with nit picking. It's glorious.
    Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
  • DaOverUnderDaOverUnder1,691,934
    Posted on 10 August 14 at 21:31
    misfit119 said:Best ln Philly said:You guys don't get it. My argument was that peer to peer can't be shut down.

It still can't!

Fact is you were telling everyone not to worry, nothing's going to be shut down and come Friday we'd see you were right. Well if anyone was stupid enough to listen to you and didn't bumrush at least some of these games they'd be screwed. I chose not to listen to the person who was making an argument out of the issue and LO! I have my Avatar achievements just before they went away. I mean it's not like the games you were saying they couldn't close were almost all the ones they'd said were closed as of last year. It's not like you were saying that the NEW games on that list couldn't possibly be closed either because you totes just knew they couldn't.

But do go on and tell us how the wise person who was telling us nothing was going down but couldn't be bothered to find out if what he was talking about was actually server based or not was actually not wrong. I mean sure, before I go around telling people that something can't be closed down because it uses one method of online gameplay I actually look around online to find out of it actually IS using that method. But that's just me - I don't like being wrong.

because you guys have no idea what you're talking about.Ah that wondrous mix of furious backpedaling mixed with nit picking. It's glorious.
    Well, I knew a mistake was made. I underestimated the mistake

I did check for Avatar. The game uses poor wording. It says, "loading multiplayer". Unlike EA games which says, "connecting to servers".

For PowerUp I just assumed it was peer to peer.

Forgive my mistake.
  • Posted on 11 August 14 at 01:42, Edited on 11 August 14 at 01:50 by Mobius Evalon
    MidgetsInactive said:Mobius Evalon said:The Turgyptian said:Thank God GR: FS is still up.Future Soldier? It's only two years old, and wasn't even alluded to being included in this shutdown list by Ubisoft.Says the guy who thinks Homefront's online servers were peer-to-peer.Homefront's multiplayer was absolutely peer to peer because one of the players in the lobby was "the host", with the usual P2P bull like a moderate NAT in your session causing certain pairs of people unable to join each other without the correct person hosting the whole thing. When I was running sessions near the end of the multiplayer's life, everyone in the sessions was subject to my half-megabit DSL and lagging like mad trying to complete their kills. Playing random matches in ranked multiplayer also suffered the same problems of lag-switching, flying, invincible, and all other kinds of match hosts because their Xbox was the server. Even so, it provides its own example and sits among others (even Avatar from just a few days ago) as how the developer can and does gateway the peer connection through their own servers, and can shut down the whole kit and kaboodle on a whim.
    Supporter of unpopular opinions.
  • Posted on 11 August 14 at 03:27
    Best in Philly just leave the thread alone. You were wrong about all of the games being safe. People suffered because of your assertions. Commenting after you have been proven wrong just makes you look bad. I reported a post that attacked you, but if you keep commenting you deserve everything you get.
  • salut allosalut allo465,737
    Posted on 11 August 14 at 05:18
    Best ln Philly said:If you guys had thought I was wrong, why didn't you say, "I agree with you -- Peer to Peer games can't be shut down, however, Avatar as well as PowerUp Heroes are server based."Thing is, what you mentioned is not what people really cared about. I already knew that Peer to peer couldn't be shut down. That's obvious to me. But there are still game modes and/or features that can be taken down that are required for achievements, like on Frontline: Fuels of War. You can still play multiplayer, but the ranked modes are closed, meaning there ARE unobtainable achievements.

There wasn't really anyone arguing with you. The peer to peer argument wasn't what people were worried about, as most already know that. It was more like a flock of worried people that wanted to be 100% sure that their completion was safe, and you in fact lead some of them to believe it was when it wasn't.
    Metal! \,,/
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 11 August 14 at 06:36
    Legal Integrity said:Best in Philly just leave the thread alone. You were wrong about all of the games being safe. People suffered because of your assertions. Commenting after you have been proven wrong just makes you look bad. I reported a post that attacked you, but if you keep commenting you deserve everything you get.Loving your gamertag/-picture combo.

Also yes, blatantly and desperately trying to cast his own actions into a better light after screaming at everyone for a week how this news post is wrong and calling people who didn't believe him idiots is just several layers of wrong. I just hope nobody listened to him; I haven't read every single post in the thread so I don't know how many casualties there are, if any.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln
  • PuckJunkiePuckJunkie817,544
    Posted on 11 August 14 at 16:29
    So what's the actual impact from the August 8th event, as far as achievements are concerned? Are PowerUp Heroes and James Cameron's Avatar the only two games affected? All gameplay required to get the achievements in the other games is still the same?

I notice that the upload achievement for Shaun White Snowboarding (Generation 2.0) was unlocked by a few people on August 9th, so somehow that still works?

I'm just curious.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.