Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Game Mechanisms For Real Life

• Legohead 1977Legohead 19771,574,480
    Posted on 15 September 14 at 14:15
    Mo the Surfer said:itz waz me said:who would want Dialog Trees?You have obviously never been married.... ;pThere are some people where no answer is the right answer, I was married!

For that reason I would drop them down to honourable mention. The list was excellent though, and some really good suggestions here in the comments. I have to agree with fast travel, my commute now is only 10 minutes, on a bad day...but there are so many places I want to visit in the world...and I could take my little boy to all of them without worrying about only having a limited time with him!
    Legohead 1977
  • Posted on 15 September 14 at 14:57
    HUD and re-assignable skill points would be ammaazzzing
    This space for rent.
  • OjotangoOjotango211,341
    Posted on 15 September 14 at 14:59
    Legohead 1977 said:I have to agree with fast travel, my commute now is only 10 minutes, on a bad day...but there are so many places I want to visit in the world...and I could take my little boy to all of them without worrying about only having a limited time with him!Except that usually you have to visit the places by normal means first to unlock the fast travel. You'd have to spend a month rushing around all these places first, and then go back with your lad at your leisure later!
    So much for pathos...
  • Legohead 1977Legohead 19771,574,480
    Posted on 15 September 14 at 16:12
    It would be worth it! I have seen how happy conkers can make him...I can only imagine what he'd make of Disneyland!
    Legohead 1977
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 15 September 14 at 16:14
    Number one WORST game mechanic: Aim Assist/Snap-to-Target. It has taken all the skill out of shooters and replaced with reflexes.

Also I miss TrueSkill rankings in multiplayer but that wasn't so much a game mechanic as it was more of a stat-tracking mechanism.
  • LuckyKantLuckyKant780,055
    Posted on 15 September 14 at 16:38
    ^Yeah, I like a bit of free aim. Max Payne does that well.
    Hey Niko, its your cousin! Let's go bowling!
  • FiriathFiriath139,182
    Posted on 15 September 14 at 18:06, Edited on 15 September 14 at 18:07 by Firiath
    At first I wasn't sure about save points like bonfires (because of the image used), because I remember hearing about the concept of bonfires before playing Dark Souls for the first time, and I remember being shocked like "The game's really difficult and all those horrible enemies return when you save? And when you've run out of Estus you have to use a bonfire to replenish it, resetting all the enemies?!"
    But when I think about it now I think that's actually a great way to 'save' games. Keeps up the challenge. Nowadays I laugh when I think about how I used to wonder why anyone would create save points like that. :D
  • zoidberg1339zoidberg1339500,089
    Posted on 15 September 14 at 18:17
    Oddworld X said:Hydro Thunder Boats. Obviously.

Just when you think life is depressing, you wake up and... GO TO WORK IN YOUR FRICKIN' BOAT!
    EVERY THREAD
  • Posted on 15 September 14 at 18:26
    FailedSeppuku said:New Game +Just start believing in reincarnation.
  • Accio BeerAccio Beer181,102
    Posted on 15 September 14 at 18:42
    I was expecting to see gravity guns, but this list is great.
    "Isn't that a disease, Dad?"-quote from the daughter of a clanmate of mine, inquiring about my gamertag.
  • T JoobT Joob386,065
    Posted on 15 September 14 at 19:25
    HEXYDECIMAL said:No way i think skipping boring parts of our day would be awsome time to go to work skip ahhh days work is doneDude, no. Watch Click!
  • kanterookanteroo121,738
    Posted on 15 September 14 at 20:19
    smile
  • salut allosalut allo419,728
    Posted on 15 September 14 at 20:20
    I don't think Dark Souls is a good example for number 1, considering you basically can never actually die, and infinitely respawn until you become a completely crazy and soulless body trying to kill everyone else
    Metal! \,,/
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 15 September 14 at 20:23
    You guys missed the most obvious one.

I want to be able to pause life.

#sigh
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln
  • itz waz meitz waz me288,916
    Posted on 15 September 14 at 20:40
    Mo the Surfer said:itz waz me said:who would want Dialog Trees?You have obviously never been married.... ;pwell the question still stands, what if the answer you want doesn't appear on the Tree? i would rather have the ability to say what i want than the few dialogues that you can pick.
    itz waz me
  • Posted on 15 September 14 at 22:13
    Yeah, I need a lot of these :|
  • MaliiciousMaliicious540,127
    Posted on 15 September 14 at 23:40
    Just spent a year living in Maastricht, awesome city!
  • Posted on 16 September 14 at 00:21
    How about the freedom to enter the homes of complete strangers and rob them blind right in front of them without facing any consequences? That's how it works in JRPGs......
  • Posted on 16 September 14 at 05:13
    Yep I def need a HUD while I'm drinking and driving. Haha jokes...
    Banana Big Boys
  • MugenKairoMugenKairo263,800
    Posted on 16 September 14 at 06:47
    Awesome list!! Never thought this would make it into the Top 5 articles. Personally a HUD or character build for me.
    'Life begins beyond the edge of your comfort zone'
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.