The Bargain Bin

Forum for discussing where to pick up cheap deals

XBL Sale Roundup: September 16th, 2014

• Posted on 17 September 14 at 01:14
    Picking up both Metro titles and Pac-Man.
    Lord Namlig
  • Posted on 17 September 14 at 01:34
    adamrulz said:iXanon said:Thinking about Valiant Hearts.. Anyone able to recommend?Absolutely recommend this game. One of the best I've played in a while. It has some nice puzzles that aren't too difficult but make you think. The story is perfect, the narrator is great, and you may just need a box of tissue as you go through. I'm going to pick it up on 360 for that price and play it again!Buying than !!!
  • PhilmnatorPhilmnator267,350
    Posted on 17 September 14 at 03:07
    all right Monkey Island games here I come :D
  • EkaterineEkaterine421,208
    Posted on 17 September 14 at 03:30
    Couldn't pass up Tales of Vesperia. Saw it at my local Gamestop recently and it peaked my interest, but pre-owned was still $35, so I couldn't say no to $5.
  • zyxomma100zyxomma100195,346
    Posted on 17 September 14 at 03:43, Edited on 17 September 14 at 03:53 by zyxomma100
    Eternal Sonata was a great game. Not the best RPG even in this sale (that goes to Tales of Vesperia), but still a great game.

[minor spoilers]

The game really has two faces. I see some guy complaining about the story and voice acting. It's weird because he's right but also completely wrong. I hate to sound all snobby... but man, he just didn't get it.
    -Some of the voice acting is bad (Beat and Salsa ugh), but the guy who did Frederic Chopin... I honestly think it's the second best VA job I've heard in a video game... ever. Fantastic work.
    -Yeah, the superficial plot is bad, but the plot that drives the game (the one in Chopin's mind) is beautiful from start to finish, and it only works because Chopin is trying to understand the ridiculous dream world he has built in his head.

Chopin is literally the only main plot character I've ever played as that I totally, 100% related to. Everything he does, with his passive, friendly, amused demeanor is exactly what I would've done given his rather interesting situation. And at the end, I would've done the same thing that he did. I felt ridiculously attached to him because he's just so amusingly sensible, and he made me feel like he was me. I have NEVER felt anything even CLOSE to that in a game before. In a game that's full of the standard ridiculous JRPG stereotypes (minus any oversexualization, thankfully), Chopin is literally the most practical, normal, and relatable character I've ever played as. I can't say I can read the developers' minds, but surely that had to have been done on purpose.

Granted, the game has problems. The storytelling methods themselves kind of fail, and the battle system gets repetitive. That talking head section at the end is also really dumb. Overall, I give the game a 7/10 at best.

But complaining about ES's story? Saying it's a meandering, silly, cliche mess? Nonsense! I can draw a lot of parallels between this game's story and Huck Finn. On the surface, they're both silly, lighthearted adventures. It's easy to dismiss them as such... if you completely ignore everything that's happening in the background. They're both the kind of story that can be read by elementary students and college grad students... and each group will take something completely different out of it.
  • smakzillaasmakzillaa779,046
    Posted on 17 September 14 at 05:31
    matdan12 said:So Metro 2033 or Monkey Island games? Which is more likely to be GWG cannon fodder.Considering the Redux version came out not too long ago, I'd have to go with Metro since it would give Microsoft a reason to say "Hey you can get it free or get the much better version on Xbox One"

Plus I just can't see a Point and click aside from Walking Dead (which being episodic would probably make it impossible anyway) being GwG.
  • CubivoreCubivore391,262
    Posted on 17 September 14 at 05:45
    zyxomma100 said:I hate to sound all snobby... but man, he just didn't get it.
    Yes, indirectly call someone you disagree with a moron, that's always great.

And I did get it. I got every single forced metaphor. It's not that it's a hard plot to understand, I mean the game itself drills into your head between chapters what the plot actually means. Hell, I understood FF7's plot which was both poorly explained (even in the Japanese version) and then poorly translated on top of it, and Eternal Sonata's plot was nowhere near as complicated nor did it run into major translation hiccups. A bad plot is a bad plot, whether it's bad superficially or bad metaphorically. The game reaches so hard and fails even harder with trying to tie the game world into Chopin's life. The only part of it that was hard to understand was the end, but that's at least in part because I had stopped giving a single damn at that point.

And that's not even getting to the truly awful things, like the most awkward and overwrought death scene in any videogame that has ever existed. I think that scene literally went on for longer than the character was even in the game prior to her death.
  • zyxomma100zyxomma100195,346
    Posted on 17 September 14 at 06:24
    Cubivore said:Yes, indirectly call someone you disagree with a moron, that's always great.

And I did get it. I got every single forced metaphor. It's not that it's a hard plot to understand, I mean the game itself drills into your head between chapters what the plot actually means.
    You reach. I didn't indirectly call you a moron. ...And I wasn't even talking about the forced metaphors. Of course I got those. Everyone did.
  • SpikedPitSpikedPit39,964
    Posted on 17 September 14 at 06:50
    What is with pacman at £7.49 and 4.99 dollars?? Who priced this thing?!
  • PharmurPharmur127,834
    Posted on 17 September 14 at 07:26
    Wish I could grab the EU Eternal Sonata :[
  • DwaggieniteDwaggienite3,308,752
    Posted on 17 September 14 at 07:57
    Eternal Sonata is a triple-stack, and quite possible one of the most beautiful JRPG's ever made. It's got a unique battle style and I can't recommend it enough.

Whilst it's not linked in the article, the japanese Games on Demand version of it is ALSO on sale at the same percentage.

It's a great opportunity to pick up all three versions!
  • iM JacKiM JacK46,349
    Posted on 17 September 14 at 09:31
    • Valiant Hearts: The Great War (Xbox One) - 33% offIt's mine clap
    >> Let's go Bucs <<
  • sonnyliston1sonnyliston1900,634
    Posted on 17 September 14 at 09:34, Edited on 17 September 14 at 09:35 by sonnyliston1
    I'll give both the Monkey Islands a try, it would be rude not too for a couple of beans. ES and Valiant hearts are tempting as well. Choices...
    sonnyliston1
  • Arron114Arron1141,093,660
    Posted on 17 September 14 at 11:14
    How appropriate , you fight like a cow.
  • DrNefarioDrNefario175,393
    Posted on 17 September 14 at 11:16
    Eternal Sonata was one of the first games I bought for my 360. I never really played that much of it at the time, and when I came back to it the disc would no longer read.

I'm not sure whether to get the download version at this price so I can pick up where I left off, or whether to just face facts and accept that I'm not that likely to play it, given all the other great 360 games I've got to play before I move on.

I don't remember any real problems with the voice acting, myself. It is possible I had Japanese voices on, if that was an option. My main issue with the game was that the combat system was getting worse as it introduced more real-time elements as your party levelled up. I kind of hate real-time combat in JRPGs. (So, no, I also won't be getting Vesperia.)
  • gobey17gobey17840,270
    Posted on 17 September 14 at 11:47
    Cubivore said:zyxomma100 said:I hate to sound all snobby... but man, he just didn't get it.
    And that's not even getting to the truly awful things, like the most awkward and overwrought death scene in any videogame that has ever existed. I think that scene literally went on for longer than the character was even in the game prior to her death.
    laugh Oh my god, I remember that. She would just not stop speaking! And that talking heads bit was completely unnecessary.

Honestly, I didn't find the game that bad. Great environments and music and an okay-enough battle system. Yeah, that voice acting wasn't amazing but I've heard worse to be fair. Same goes for the plot (well, I didn't mind the stuff to do with Chopin at least). My least favorite JRPG so far on the xbox has to be The Last Remnant for its mediocre plot, crappy leveling system and its luck-based battle system (although innovative), but eh.
  • ChewieOnIceChewieOnIce1,285,056
    Posted on 17 September 14 at 11:55, Edited on 17 September 14 at 11:56 by ChewieOnIce
    Arron114 said:How appropriate , you fight like a cow.I've been waiting for this. You, sir, get the prize.
    @ChewieOnIce | NewsHound | 'Please don't kill us.' 'Please don't make it so appealing'
  • Posted on 17 September 14 at 12:44
    Stupid question here...I'm not currently a gold subscriber, but I really want to grab a few of these deals. If I pay for a month, can I immediately take advantage, or is there a wait time?
  • Rista BRista B629,465
    Posted on 17 September 14 at 13:01
    Think I'll hold out for a steeper discount on Valiant Hearts for the One
  • Arron114Arron1141,093,660
    Posted on 17 September 14 at 13:06
    DarkSquall1 said:Stupid question here...I'm not currently a gold subscriber, but I really want to grab a few of these deals. If I pay for a month, can I immediately take advantage, or is there a wait time?Not silly, silly not to ask and wonder!

That will work yes, providing its a month + . Trail cards wont work. ChewieOnIce said:Arron114 said:How appropriate , you fight like a cow.I've been waiting for this. You, sir, get the prize.Whats the prize? Chicken pulley?
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.