Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Bad Achievement Lists

• ChewieOnIceChewieOnIce880,813
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 19:01Permalink
    Spend hundreds of hours developing a game then five minutes designing the achievement list

Please click here to read the story: TA Top Five: Bad Achievement Lists
  • Oriole2682Oriole26822,513,633
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 19:04Permalink
    Well here's a list our favorite nautical game couldn't possibly make, now if it were the opposite....HYDRO THUNDER HURRICANE!
  • In Gyi YoonIn Gyi Yoon242,785
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 19:05Permalink
    Game room facepalm
  • Edward HyenaEdward Hyena435,393
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 19:11Permalink
    Left out Hail to the Chimp, with two achievements so difficult no one's figured out for sure if you can lock yourself out of them or not.
  • Fire Hawk DFire Hawk D1,487,850
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 19:15Permalink
    I agree with Deadly Premonition. I just completed it this past week and there's SO much to do that could have been achievements:

- Complete all side-missions
    - Collect all available cars/outfits/weapons/food items

Open-world games that don't have more collectible achievements make me sad. Why not reward me for collecting all the cars in the game in my garage, Saints Row 3/4?!
  • Posted on 22 March 15 at 19:16Permalink
    How is hellboy not mentioned?! angry facepalm
    "Dying is easy its living thats hard"
  • Posted on 22 March 15 at 19:19Permalink
    The broken and pain in the ass list that is Raving rabbids... stupid... bloody... ugh...
    Hell hath no fury like a twelve guage shotgun
  • Posted on 22 March 15 at 19:21Permalink
    The Director's Cut of Deadly Premonition on PS3 has a full 60 Trophy list I believe, so that makes up for the 360's lack of achievements a bit.
    Don't be a lemon, be a rose bud.
  • Daky1001Daky1001327,710
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 19:21Permalink
    Completely agree with #1.
    Daky1001
  • WisdomThiefWisdomThief295,013
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 19:24Permalink
    I didn't realise game room was now unavailable. That sucks. I only need the level 20 achievement and I would have had it a long time ago if my save data hadn't vanished when I was level 19.
  • ArkhamArkham1,678,937
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 19:25Permalink
    Ok, so Game Room and Perfect Dark suck but there are some really shitty lists that belong here. This top 5 feels like it was written by someone without that much completion experience... Where are games with leaderboards like Quake 4 or Kane and Lynch? How about broken lists like Hellboy or sports games who's servers get shut down too soon. I'm still bummed about Facebreaker.
  • Redd FiveRedd Five813,747
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 19:26, Edited on 22 March 15 at 21:40 by Redd FivePermalink
    EDF

All launch sports games

And honestly, how does South Park make this list? It has one of the best lists around! There's a great mix of everything.
    Story progression? CHECK
    Exploration? CHECK
    Decision based? CHECK
    Watching your parents do it? CHECK!

If you're only "completing the game in minimal playthroughs," then you can't complain about having to use a guide to avoid missables.
  • Apocalypse KaneApocalypse Kane1,204,005
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 19:30Permalink
    facepalm
    Always do your best with honor and courage without compromise.
  • Posted on 22 March 15 at 19:37Permalink
    Where is Dead or Alive: Xtreme 2
  • Posted on 22 March 15 at 19:38Permalink
    WHAT?!?!?!? Hydro thunder hurricane is yet again excluded of another list?
  • toddycsttoddycst512,758
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 19:40Permalink
    1. Quake 4
  • Posted on 22 March 15 at 19:42Permalink
    Halo MCC should be on here not everyone is a wizz at that game and 3 hours to do a whole campaign really takes the wizz
    L.turbo
  • Posted on 22 March 15 at 19:42Permalink
    Edward Hyena said:Left out Hail to the Chimp, with two achievements so difficult no one's figured out for sure if you can lock yourself out of them or not. That game was easy as fuck to complete!laugh
    Whats ratio?
  • TTDog666TTDog666403,797
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 19:42Permalink
    Technically you can do all the South Park ones in a single play... but only if you know what they were... the collectables being the worst to make sure you don't miss the one or two that are time specific.

I missed one friend (the police chief after the nazi outbreak starts) and not spending any money... if you were careful you could collect the full 1,000 in one play.
    Everyone has the right to worship whichever god they want... and I have the right to mock your stupid, ignorant beliefs.
  • Posted on 22 March 15 at 19:43Permalink
    Really want to play Perfect Dark Zero, but now I'm a little discouraged. That's a lot of grinding. I don't mind boosting games, but that's a little too much I think. I'll probably still play it, at the cost of my completion percentage. Ah well, you win some you lose (or completely ignore) some.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.