Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Bad Achievement Lists

• Posted on 23 March 15 at 18:48
    Good job on this list, Chewie. I can see you put a lot of effort into it.

I disagree with your reasoning for South Park, however. Lots of games have missable achievements. Granted, South Park has a lot, but I don't think that should be a criteria of a "bad achievement list." In fact, South Park has so many awesome and hilarious achievements, that I'd be willing to give it a pass even if missable achievements were a criteria for "games with a bad achievement list." You could have, at the very least, gone with a game that has a slew of missable achievements that is not as endearing as South Park.

Also, I get what you are trying to say with Brothers, but I have mixed feelings about it. Going through the entire game without popping an achievement was a little nerve-wracking for me (since I didn't look at the achievement list until after I beat the game). This just goes to show you how Microsoft (and by extension, the whole achievement system) has conditioned us to expect achievements to pop through the natural progression of a game. Still, it was an amazing experience and I took a look at the achievement list after completing the game and thought to myself: "WTF?" Those people who just want the achievements are doing themselves a disservice by not finishing the game, but honestly, if they are just in it for the achievements, then they don't want nor deserve the fantastic story and experience that Brothers has to offer and I am fine with that.

Oh, and I don't use "fantastic story" and "game" in the same sentence very often.
  • Posted on 23 March 15 at 18:49
    .... I kinda wanna find that Avatar game now...
  • WhyattThrashWhyattThrash365,377
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 19:50
    Ummm... Mass effect, hello? It should be #1, being a mix-up of all the complaints from the list, save from having a short achievement list. Dull grind, yes. Multiple playthroughs for difficulties, youbetcha. Lots of silly missables, also requiring multiple playthroughs and severely limiting gameplay options in all of the playthroughs, check. If there's one motherload of a game that commits all of these sins with abandon, it's Mass effect.
  • spacedvest2spacedvest2753,553
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 20:07
    WhyattThrash said:. Dull grind, yes. Multiple playthroughs for difficulties, youbetcha. Lots of silly missables, also requiring multiple playthroughs and severely limiting gameplay options in all of the playthroughs, check.You just described hundreds of games.
  • frostdawn99frostdawn99165,327
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 21:08
    World of Tanks 360 Edition should get an honorable mention here. Wargaming.net's latest update included achievements that are map based. What sucks about this is there are about 30 or so maps that are chosen at random when you play the game. Then factor in that you are playing against 29 other people in any given game. THEN you have to meet certain criteria on top of all that. Be the first to get a kill on a certain map. Kill 2 tanks by ramming on a certain map (when getting even one kill by ramming is hard enough to do), Kill two enemies in your base on a certain map. So. Much. Anger. HATE these last achievements in the game. They aren't achievements since you aren't achieving something so much as getting extremely lucky at some menial task. The game itself is great though.
  • WhyattThrashWhyattThrash365,377
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 21:34, Edited on 23 March 15 at 21:36 by WhyattThrash
    frostdawn99 said:World of Tanks 360 Edition should get an honorable mention here. Wargaming.net's latest update included achievements that are map based. What sucks about this is there are about 30 or so maps that are chosen at random when you play the game. Then factor in that you are playing against 29 other people in any given game. THEN you have to meet certain criteria on top of all that. Be the first to get a kill on a certain map. Kill 2 tanks by ramming on a certain map (when getting even one kill by ramming is hard enough to do), Kill two enemies in your base on a certain map. So. Much. Anger. HATE these last achievements in the game. They aren't achievements since you aren't achieving something so much as getting extremely lucky at some menial task. The game itself is great though.Oh, I've heard about that, and how it effectively ruined the game since people started doing really stupid things JUST for the achievements, like bum rushing or quitting out if it's not a certain map etc. So any kind of cooperation got just impossible. Achievements that actually manage to ruin the gameplay and not just the experience warrants more than an honorable mention IMO. Good call
  • FOKENWOLFENFOKENWOLFEN305,529
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 21:51
    Hail to the Chimp deserves #1
  • nicolau44nicolau44169,844
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 21:53
    Trine 2 suffers the same problem with Brothers. You can get all the achievements at chapter 6 or 7 of 12, 13. I can´t recall.
  • SanadaSanada666,181
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 22:37, Edited on 23 March 15 at 22:37 by Sanada
    xI DLloyd091 Ix said:GRAW is a bad boy since i have pushed the boards up. smile
    Same happens for Quake German and soon the regular Version. laugh
    Nobody cares. Even if they did, like I said above 1 or 2 achievements wouldn't really make the cut for a "bad achievement list".
  • LifeExpectancyLifeExpectancy1,409,077
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 22:47
    I agree with much of this. It's too bad a lot of devs phone in achievements.
    Goal: 500,000gs with 500 total games, 100% including all DLC. Deadline: 1-1-16.
  • CyberKnightCyberKnight454,035
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 22:59
    Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but what about GRAW? If I recall correctly, not only did you have achievements that were leaderboard-based, but the score was worth something other than a multiple of 5, making the most OCD of us twitch at that gamerscore ending in a 2 that we can only fix by gaming the entire community.
    http://gamertagcyberknight.blogspot.com
  • ChewieOnIceChewieOnIce884,864
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 23:03
    CyberKnight said:Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but what about GRAW? If I recall correctly, not only did you have achievements that were leaderboard-based, but the score was worth something other than a multiple of 5, making the most OCD of us twitch at that gamerscore ending in a 2 that we can only fix by gaming the entire community.It has been mentioned a few times, but unfortunately this top five was really about whole lists rather than individual achievements.
    @ChewieOnIce | NewsHound | 'Please don't kill us.' 'Please don't make it so appealing'
  • cancermatt2cancermatt2291,836
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 23:14
    Games with bad achievements? My gamertag could have written this list!

While I don't mind a grindy game once in a while (GOW, Luxor 2), I've unfortunately started more than a few games I should have skipped, including Game Room, Raiden IV, Robotron: 2084, Virtua Tennis 3, Lost Planet: Extreme Condition Colonies and Pinball Hall of Fame The Williams Edition, among others.
  • Posted on 23 March 15 at 23:16
    Top 5 best worst games
  • KillSteelahKillSteelah121,612
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 23:43
    I don't have many of the achievements for Pinball FX2 for the 360 but I have a few and the pursuit of some of those really taught me how to play pinball. For those that think it's luck, there used to be a pinball documentary on Hulu and if you're having trouble with the game, it should introduce you to some cool gameplay tips including the big one - ball control.
  • LAFTALAFTA541,961
    Posted on 24 March 15 at 00:45
    Game Room doesn't require purchasing loads of games at all, single plays are the way to go. I spent well under £20 for the 1k...
    www.youtube.com/LAFTA
  • ShadyShallShadyShall340,230
    Posted on 24 March 15 at 00:48, Edited on 24 March 15 at 00:49 by ShadyShall
    i agree with game room as #1 because the achievements aren't challenging... they are a grind from the beginning - which, as noted, happens to be the minute you start it up and get that first free achievement that locks you in if you are a completionist. the only challenge is spending as little $ and time as you can... at least that used to be the only challenge, now the challenge is being able to physically complete it at all.

i finished this piece of garbage a couple weeks ago when the mayhem with available cabinets began. but that was the end of a 5 year journey that has been the bane to my bat for just as long. so, now, not only does this list suck (it is pointless, repetitive, and one big grind), but the game is virtually not completable anymore. i feel bad for anyone with this on their card...

as for south park -- i played once through with zero guides for fun, knowing there were collectables and missables... but i have been a fan of south park since the beginning and i quickly realized i wouldn't mind a second play-through. so, i did the full complete, collectable guide-follow on a second run through. i didn't mind it. i don't think that is a bad achievement list at all. nothing is grindy, everything makes sense, and it's fairly easy.
  • SashamorningSashamorning1,927,870
    Posted on 24 March 15 at 02:19, Edited on 24 March 15 at 02:24 by Sashamorning
    ColombianGodman said:.... I kinda wanna find that Avatar game now...Not even five minutes like Chewie said. 1:53 from title screen to 1k. I think I could have even shaved off 6 more seconds (from 0:26 to 0:32).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7ApGlJ8PXY

Yeah, I don't own a capture card. Whatever.

Dancing Rob said:Seriously 3.0 and other such grinds are incredibly easy.

All you have to do is sit in front of a TV running in and out of circles and waiting to be shot / waiting to shoot someone else for 100 hours or however long it is.

There is absolutely no skill involved beyond the ability to turn up on time for your boosting session.

That makes it easy. Very boring, and far too much of a waste of time for most to bother with, but easy.
    Agreed. And agreed. Even GRAW is easy if you know how. It just takes forever. Gears involves almost zero skill. Just boosting. And boosting.

And restraining yourself from clawing your eyes out. The ratio isn't even worth it anymore. (But mad props to anyone who actually did it and isn't blind from the effort.)

spacedvest2 said:WhyattThrash said:. Dull grind, yes. Multiple playthroughs for difficulties, youbetcha. Lots of silly missables, also requiring multiple playthroughs and severely limiting gameplay options in all of the playthroughs, check.You just described hundreds of games.And all of them deserve it.
    Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Live like it's heaven on earth. Don't forget the [popcorn].
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 24 March 15 at 05:36, Edited on 24 March 15 at 05:39 by
    iHeartSlampigs said:xI DLloyd091 Ix said:GRAW is a bad boy since i have pushed the boards up. smile
    Same happens for Quake German and soon the regular Version. laugh
    Nobody cares. Even if they did, like I said above 1 or 2 achievements wouldn't really make the cut for a "bad achievement list".
    ofc YOU dont care because no one had blocked u yet. wink Yes its true, most of the "fame TA wh*res" like you have their shit allready, so you can chill down and act like it happend nothing. Well i wish i did that 2-3 years before... that would be fun... wouldnt it be? laugh
    And there always people who cares about them, but not going to make such drama.

Just imagine if for example DMC4:SE would have a WR Achievement... how many people i could block. laugh and this allready at the begin when a new game is fresh released.
    DMC4: 25 XBL WR's - 15 PSN WR's 1000/1000G completed in 30hrs.
  • Posted on 24 March 15 at 05:58
    Double XP week for Diablo. Just saying....
    The new dashboard sux!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.