Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Bad Achievement Lists

• Posted on 24 March 15 at 06:52Permalink
    KashThePriest said:A few games I can think of from the top of my head

Bulletwitch - All cheevs are pretty much complete game on this difficulty but they do not stack and on top of that 1gs for completing on hardest difficulty
    How about Titanfall with a 0 G achievement for gen 10, can't fully complete the game without it, probably more time consuming than Bulletwitch on the hardest difficulty.

KashThePriest said:Cloudberry Kingdom - WTF?!?!?! Anyone who has played it knows what I am talking about, been a while since I played it but level 319 or 320 (I don't remember) is just insanely ridiculousBoth levels are insane, and a year ago I would agree with WTF, but now that a number of people have that achievement, so now it falls more in the insanely hard rather than flat out impossible group. Deathsmiles is very similar in difficulty. If you play them you just commit to some serious work for the completion. IMO, games should not have too difficult achievements, but that is a very subjective level. I'd say around 7.0 ratio is about the limit for difficulty (not time or grinding), but designers don't listen to me, so you kinda gotta check first, if completion is your thing.
    Your financial solution
  • Posted on 24 March 15 at 07:55Permalink
    MrZombieChicken said:
    I don't understand how World of Tanks didn't get at least an honorary mention. To me it should've taken the #1 spot. They keep adding ridiculously random luck-based achievements with each patch, and each time it's something more ridiculous than the last. The last batch of achievements were so incredibly ludicrous, that I stopped playing the game all together.
    Not only do some of the achievements require some serious coordination between a ton of players to get via a boost session, they also need to be done on a specific map. In addition to the fact it's impossible to pick which map you get and the rotation has a couple dozen maps, players are picked at random. Also, if the planets do align and boosters actually find one another on the correct map, only a couple can get the achievement out of the whole group of potentially 20+ players.
    This is no joke:
    World of Tanks: Valor (Xbox 360)Maximum OverdriveThe Maximum Overdrive achievement in World of Tanks: Valor (Xbox 360) worth 94 pointsDestroy 2 tanks by ramming them and survive.

It makes me incredibly sad every time I talk about it cry

Also, I have to mention Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2012 mainly because of this achievement which takes years to complete legitimately.
    Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 20123 Black StarThe 3 Black Star achievement in Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2012 worth 563 pointsBurn 200,000 calories
    The WoT troubles are purely DLC title updates. Granted, if you play it, you will likely unlock a DLC achievement, but the base 400 was quite doable, and i did it, but the rest... Probably belongs on a list Top 5 games screwed by terrible DLC, along with Little Mermaid PC.

Any achievement that can be obtained by glitching, WILL be glitched, especially by this group. Fortunately, Your Shape is one you can get, if you play your fans right.
    Your financial solution
  • Posted on 24 March 15 at 09:34Permalink
    Dancing Rob said:ChewieOnIce said:[
    I'd say even though Perfect Dark was an early one so could be excused in its own right under "they didn't know any better", it did set a precedence that many subsequent titles have followed. It makes you wonder who's designing the lists. Maybe there's a guy going around designing lists for devs who just loves to mess with us and says "what you really need is to encourage people to play your tacked on multiplayer mode so fill the game with grindy achievements related to that instead of the story". Then he goes home cackling to himself, laughs at all our posts here crying about it, drinks some blood, kills a puppy and sleeps in a coffin.
    There definitely is a guy doing that. The nasty little secret of sites like this one is that we are responsible for that guy!

By playing tacked on MP for the achievements / grinding out games long past the point of enjoyment, we are encouraging publishers to continue with that behaviour, and justifying their behaviour when they look at metrics such as 'time spent playing game' when considering funding the next game etc, meaning we get more of it in the future.

With grinding, the fault is entirely our own, and the only rational response for anyone who hates such achievements is to stop going for them. If enough people did this, the grinds would cease.

However, the tacked on MP issue is a more sinister one, in that we have helped to make devs believe there is a market for this sort of game, and therefore encouraged them to spend time / money / resources on tacked on MP, rather than on things people actually want instead.
    Boycotting achievements is not like boycotting games themselves. From the patches that come out we know that achievements are VERY low on the developers list of concerns. They don't seem to care how long or hard achievements are, only if people are complaining that they are glitched, and demanding a patch. Tacked on multiplayer is in games to check off a marketing box. The achievements are only linked to it because it highlights a feature in the game. Caring developers wouldn't put MP achs in their game, uncaring developers are uncaring, so your boycott will probably not even be noticed. I think we are stuck with the gaming world as it is, with achievements all over the map. Until achievements go mainstream with normal gamers in a big way, they will always be a gaming ghetto full of surprises and horrible disappointments.
    Your financial solution
  • its whatevaits whateva276,647
    Posted on 24 March 15 at 09:53Permalink
    Fight Night Round 3 is the easiest 1000G I ever got, mainly because you get the achievements by completing career mode. You don't have to cheat anything. Just win the matches. I was confused by what he meant in that regard...
  • ChewieOnIceChewieOnIce881,495
    Posted on 24 March 15 at 10:13Permalink
    its whateva said:Fight Night Round 3 is the easiest 1000G I ever got, mainly because you get the achievements by completing career mode. You don't have to cheat anything. Just win the matches. I was confused by what he meant in that regard...If you're worried that you might lose the matches (and therefore miss the achievements) because you're crap at boxing games the best way of ensuring success is to use illegal moves. All the solutions on the site encourage this and the fact that you can earn the achievements this way easier than playing the game properly isn't great. The main issues with the list are the fact that they're few, unimaginative and mostly just adverts for the sponsors. The possibility of using a dodgy method to attain them is more of a side point.
    @ChewieOnIce | NewsHound | 'Please don't kill us.' 'Please don't make it so appealing'
  • Dancing RobDancing Rob150,604
    Posted on 24 March 15 at 10:15Permalink
    triplewitching said:Boycotting achievements is not like boycotting games themselves. From the patches that come out we know that achievements are VERY low on the developers list of concerns. They don't seem to care how long or hard achievements are, only if people are complaining that they are glitched, and demanding a patch. Tacked on multiplayer is in games to check off a marketing box. The achievements are only linked to it because it highlights a feature in the game. Caring developers wouldn't put MP achs in their game, uncaring developers are uncaring, so your boycott will probably not even be noticed. I think we are stuck with the gaming world as it is, with achievements all over the map. Until achievements go mainstream with normal gamers in a big way, they will always be a gaming ghetto full of surprises and horrible disappointments.You misunderstand me.

It isn't the earning the achievement that makes any difference, it is the fact we are playing the game at all. By playing the tacked on MP / grinding for 25 hours, we are showing the publisher that there is a market for this sort of thing, which they will chase after.

They don't really care why you are investing all this time in the game, they just make a note that you are doing it, and use that to inform their future decsions as devs / publishers.
  • Posted on 24 March 15 at 11:36, Edited on 24 March 15 at 11:38 by Mannschaft570Permalink
    xI DLloyd091 Ix said:iHeartSlampigs said:xI DLloyd091 Ix said:GRAW is a bad boy since i have pushed the boards up. smile
    Same happens for Quake German and soon the regular Version. laugh
    Nobody cares. Even if they did, like I said above 1 or 2 achievements wouldn't really make the cut for a "bad achievement list".
    ofc YOU dont care because no one had blocked u yet. wink Yes its true, most of the "fame TA wh*res" like you have their shit allready, so you can chill down and act like it happend nothing. Well i wish i did that 2-3 years before... that would be fun... wouldnt it be? laugh
    And there always people who cares about them, but not going to make such drama
    What happened to you exactly? Did you block the leaderboards? Were you blocked? Your point would be more understandable if you told the story.

Either way trust me, nobody cares about these three achievements... apart from those who got them, and want to keep them at a high ratio. Even for a completionist, what does it represent on a completion percentage? 0,04, 0,05%... I am pretty sure everyone can deal with it roll
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 24 March 15 at 15:33, Edited on 24 March 15 at 15:35 by Permalink
    Mannschaft570 said:Either way trust me, nobody cares about these three achievements... apart from those who got them, and want to keep them at a high ratio. Even for a completionist, what does it represent on a completion percentage? 0,04, 0,05%... I am pretty sure everyone can deal with it rollYou can only understand this, if you ever had trouble with TA or they wasted over 3 years for nothing.

Yes i have pushed up Quake GER from 160k to 1.7 Millions as well i build a huge roadblock on GRAW with +140 cycles on Team. Solo is also getting right now the taste of my block, since there is a japanese guy who is tryin to climb over my dummy on Team and using always the same dummy. More is coming soon.

Well it's like i said to Slampigs, if you have it allready or not started the game yet, you don't care ofc. But if you have allready started it and you want really to complete the game, since most 100% guys are going to rage much if something going well, like they actually wanted. laugh #Defending perfect fassade
    Also, there are always people who cares or not, but it's fun what people understand until today "blocking" means.... laugh
    It would be still interesting, how the "true TA junkies" would react, if i did that 2-3 years before. laugh
    DMC4: 25 XBL WR's - 15 PSN WR's 1000/1000G completed in 30hrs.
  • AlbinoKidELITEAlbinoKidELITE1,207,068
    Posted on 24 March 15 at 16:07Permalink
    Game Room isn't that much of a money drain if you're clever; many of us on TA completed it for around 1600 MS points (back when they were a thing) by focussing on single plays rather than buying cabinets outright. Considering the basic game was free, that's hardly outrageous. Moreover, it seems a bit harsh to criticise the achievements for a lack of variety when you have to play so many different games to accumulate those medal points. If you could grind them playing one game over and over then fair enough, but Game Room itself was all about variety!
    What pawns we have become in this bland little play
  • Larvi1Larvi11,479,060
    Posted on 24 March 15 at 18:21Permalink
    Tiger Woods 06 is my number one.

I picked this up along with a bunch of other cheap games during my last bean dive only to find out ALL of the achievements are either discontinued due to servers being down or were unobtainable from day one so there wasn't a single achievement I could earn to get this added to my games played list.

Arcania Gothic 4 is an honorable mention. Glitched achievement from day one which the developer acknowledged and but never fixed. They even released DLC to try to milk more money from the game but never bothered to fix the base game.
  • RegeRege481,829
    Posted on 24 March 15 at 18:53Permalink
    I would like to add ArcaniA: Gothic 4 to the list.
  • EADYSEADYS171,370
    Posted on 24 March 15 at 20:43Permalink
    Bomberman: Acto Zero
    meep moop
  • LAFTALAFTA541,881
    Posted on 25 March 15 at 00:09Permalink
    xI DLloyd091 Ix said:Mannschaft570 said:Either way trust me, nobody cares about these three achievements... apart from those who got them, and want to keep them at a high ratio. Even for a completionist, what does it represent on a completion percentage? 0,04, 0,05%... I am pretty sure everyone can deal with it rollYou can only understand this, if you ever had trouble with TA or they wasted over 3 years for nothing.

Yes i have pushed up Quake GER from 160k to 1.7 Millions as well i build a huge roadblock on GRAW with +140 cycles on Team. Solo is also getting right now the taste of my block, since there is a japanese guy who is tryin to climb over my dummy on Team and using always the same dummy. More is coming soon.

Well it's like i said to Slampigs, if you have it allready or not started the game yet, you don't care ofc. But if you have allready started it and you want really to complete the game, since most 100% guys are going to rage much if something going well, like they actually wanted. laugh #Defending perfect fassade
    Also, there are always people who cares or not, but it's fun what people understand until today "blocking" means.... laugh
    It would be still interesting, how the "true TA junkies" would react, if i did that 2-3 years before. laugh
    Seriously? Grow up man. What is your aim? Just to annoy people? Bravo...
    www.youtube.com/LAFTA
  • Tanelorn82Tanelorn82416,053
    Posted on 25 March 15 at 00:49Permalink
    Wow... what a prick
    Welcome to TA, where stats are made up and some achievements do not matter.
  • Morpheus414Morpheus414245,451
    Posted on 25 March 15 at 06:31Permalink
    At first, I was thinking about the infamous Avatar thing, but God, I completely forgot about Game Room! You're literally buying achievements! That seriously should've been illegal.

Side note: what about Dead or Alive Extreme 2? That achievement list is impossible!
  • Posted on 25 March 15 at 06:37, Edited on 25 March 15 at 06:38 by OfficerBarbradyPermalink
    Morpheus414 said:Side note: what about Dead or Alive Extreme 2? That achievement list is impossible!It's far from impossible, you just need a LOT of dedication, planning, and luck. It's entirely just a grind, no skill is involved or needed. It could take anywhere from 300 hours to 2000 depending on your luck with the swimsuit gifting. It took me roughly 750 hours, but that's just from the in game tracker. Due to all the dashboarding I did trying to get girls to accept all the swimsuits, I'd say it was closer to 900 or so.

I don't recommend it though, since when I finally finished it, my love for achievements died for like 3 years and I've just recently got back into them laugh
    Don't be a lemon, be a rose bud.
  • Posted on 25 March 15 at 22:18Permalink
    Good list! I have Deadly Premonition and keep hearing that it's a fantastic game. Maybe this is the time to start it up.
  • xWEEDMAN 89xxWEEDMAN 89x207,363
    Posted on 26 March 15 at 04:27Permalink
    Great list! I've only personally played Fight Night round 3, and that was on my other tag when it first came out.
  • PoozeyPoozey336,510
    Posted on 26 March 15 at 04:58Permalink
    Not sure whether it has been mentioned but the worst for me is Need for Speed: Carbon. Mostly multiplayer achievements, unobtainables and bugs plus boring tasks make for one horrid list. Surprisingly enjoyable racer though.
  • Nekro NekoNekro Neko387,061
    Posted on 14 February 16 at 05:44Permalink
    I know this is a long dead article but if you're hitting and hoping in Pinball FX2 you're playing the game wrong. You don't slap the accelerate and brake on every car game and hope that you get achievements and the same can be said with every fighting game. Not gonna lie though, the game does have some rock hard achievements.
    www.cyberscore.me.uk
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.