Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Bad Achievement Lists

  • AlangelusAlangelus291,584
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 19:44
    Naruto: Rise of a Ninja is another one that cannot be completed due to faulty DLC that was never patched and then subsequently removed from the marketplace. Although it can be counted as completed on here due to the option to "only count DLC I own", this doesn't count for a completed game on your actual profile. Ubisoft you utter cretins warning
  • Posted on 22 March 15 at 19:45
    Pretty much every game that has a unnecessary MP+achievements. I don't even wanna know how much time I've wasted with this kind of BS!
  • Posted on 22 March 15 at 19:46
    I get what they are saying about 'Brothers' and achievements like that - but I wouldn't give it a dishonourable mention because it hands out achievements before the game's completion. Who would play all the way to the end of a game and then not finish it, because every achievement has been unlocked? That's weird! - I understand trying to get every achievement, but surely that is secondary to playing, enjoying and completing the game. (Same with South Park actually - I played it, enjoyed and got half of the achievements, then I went through again with a guide and got the rest - although I do agree that this is annoying, and think the dishonourable mention here is justified.)

    My game with the worst achievements would have to be Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise - you had to own the vision camera (not kinect) to take photos of pinata cards in real life that were not sold in my country (NZ) - so actually discriminatory, and just a big marketing push for their cards and xbox peripheries.
  • Posted on 22 March 15 at 19:47
    I completely disagree with author (TS) about "Honourable mentions"
    because I enjoyed South Park game with each play-through. And such achievements encouraged me to try different character classes)

    And what's wrong with "Brothers" ? You complete the game once in your way and then QUICKLY get any non-story achievement by selecting necessary chapter !
    not hard at all and no need to play game over and over again
  • Posted on 22 March 15 at 19:51, Edited on 22 March 15 at 19:52 by thunderkiss92
    WarIsComingHome said:I completely disagree with author (TS) about "Honourable mentions"
    because I enjoyed South Park game with each play-through. And such achievements encouraged me to try different character classes)

    And what's wrong with "Brothers" ? You complete the game once in your way and then QUICKLY get any non-story achievement by selecting necessary chapter !
    not hard at all and no need to play game over and over again
    It's not that there's anything wrong with it, it's just that it doesn't make sense for the devs to leave out an achievement for finishing the game, because it encourages the uninitiated/the people with no focus or short attention spans to complete the game--those of us that care about achievements, anyway. It's an odd move, but I found the achievement list an interesting one. Almost didn't pop any on my first playthrough!!! laugh
  • itz waz meitz waz me281,959
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 19:51, Edited on 22 March 15 at 19:52 by itz waz me
    started playing Lost Planet: Extreme Condition Colonies a year ago or more without looking at the achievement list, thought it was strange that i didn't get a single achievement even though i had finished a couple of levels, So i checked the Achievement list. That was quite surprising, but thankfully i didn't unlock anything so i dodged a bullet there.
    Comrade General - #28 in the World in Action sack #1 in the world for sword kills and sword related medals in Action Sack. Halo Reach(HaloTracker.com)
  • theMAYFLOWAtheMAYFLOWA341,975
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 19:53
    The base game list for Pinball FX2 on Xbox One was vastly improved over the 360 version. After popping a couple of the harder achievements, I was really glad I stuck it out for that one game where I would hit the right ramps. I agree on that DLC list though. I'm not paying $3-$5 for 10ish GS. Not ever.
  • Removed Gamer

    Removed Gamer

    Posted on 22 March 15 at 19:56
    GRAW 1 is completely rubbish with leaderboards achievements. So is Kane and Lynch Dead Men and Lost Planet 2
  • SanadaSanada667,122
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 19:57
    gamerboyTHXtss said:Edward Hyena said:Left out Hail to the Chimp, with two achievements so difficult no one's figured out for sure if you can lock yourself out of them or not. That game was easy as fuck to complete!laughDoesn't stop you from bringing it up when people call you a baby gamer. laugh

    OT: Surprised Quake 4 wasn't on here with it's #1 achievement and 4 playthrough campaigns that don't stack. Or any game with leaderboard achievements for that matter, given how salty people get about them.

    Naruto Rise of a Ninja and Hellboy could've earned mentions, as they can't even be completed due to DLC.

    As much as I loved EDF 2017, it's list was pretty damn bland as well. Beat each difficulty and get the weapons for a whopping 6 achievements.
  • ScuzzyBunnyScuzzyBunny1,033,433
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 20:00
    I completed Gameroom and actually enjoyed the nostalgia since many of the games weren't offered in retail compilations (so many quarters wasted in the 80s at the arcade)...still wishing someone would make qbert!!

    I think one major oversight had to be killer instinct. Talk about unoriginal...over 100 achvs and most of them are the exact same thing simply with a different character...then to mix it up they drop a title update or dlc and throw in ONE unrelated and time consuming achv!
    Look at me so I can finish!
  • Posted on 22 March 15 at 20:02
    A few games I can think of from the top of my head

    Bulletwitch - All cheevs are pretty much complete game on this difficulty but they do not stack and on top of that 1gs for completing on hardest difficulty

    Kane & Lynch - 2 leaderboard cheevs that are constantly blocked and co-op cheevs that can't be done online and have to be local which I don't get, should be you can do local or online

    Hellboy - Already mentioned, but you can't get the full 1000gs cos you need dlc which was never created

    Cloudberry Kingdom - WTF?!?!?! Anyone who has played it knows what I am talking about, been a while since I played it but level 319 or 320 (I don't remember) is just insanely ridiculous
  • Posted on 22 March 15 at 20:04
    I cant disagree more with Pinball Fx being on this list. the achievements in it a for more than just playing pinball and getting points..its for doing the quests and doing more than flciking a ball which alot of people forget about when playing pinball. Also the achievements arent luck based...they take a great amount of skill and practice...exactly what a achievements should be like...not just grinding or just given away like perfect dark or avatar. pinball fx has one of the best achievement lists so it can decide who is skillful and determine the people who have actually achieved. Altogether one of my favorite achievement lists is a tie between lost planet 2 and ssx...ssx has an amazing list that seperates who is good and who just plays for fun. Some of them have some ways to grind but theres not point in it. Lost planet 2 does not have a grindy list either. If you absolutely love that game..you will play it an accomplish everything there is to do. People do grind it and complain about it but id rather just get a party together play that game for fun. It would seperate who played for real and who disnt if people didnt grind.

    Personally i would include Gears of war 3 in this just because of seriously 3.0...honestly...there is essentially no way anyone could possibly get that legit...i put easily over 500 hours into that game just playing and was near the top for the leader for sometime and i only earned like 20 onyx medals with absolutely no boosting..i had soo many kills it was incredible..and half of those onyx werent even for online..they were for beast or horde. The campaign achievements were also pretty basic and just took playing it. I loved that game but man those achievements
  • MikeProcuratorMikeProcurator1,321,677
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 20:15
    Lotr:bfme
  • ChewieOnIceChewieOnIce899,094
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 20:21
    ArkhmInmate0801 said:Ok, so Game Room and Perfect Dark suck but there are some really shitty lists that belong here. This top 5 feels like it was written by someone without that much completion experience... Where are games with leaderboards like Quake 4 or Kane and Lynch? How about broken lists like Hellboy or sports games who's servers get shut down too soon. I'm still bummed about Facebreaker.The list isn't really about individual achievements, it's about the whole achievement list, so that's why things like Quake and Kane and Lynch don't get a mention. Same with stuff like Gears of War that other people have mentioned. Seriously is just one achievement amongst many. Hellboy kind of falls under the category of the unotabainables in the dishonorable mention and I wasn't going to list every single game with unotainables. I was originally going to talk about discontinueds too but decided against it for length and also because just because they aren't available now doesn't mean they weren't ok lists when they were available.
    @ChewieOnIce | NewsHound | 'Please don't kill us.' 'Please don't make it so appealing'
  • Posted on 22 March 15 at 20:21
    itz waz me said:started playing Lost Planet: Extreme Condition Colonies a year ago or more without looking at the achievement list, thought it was strange that i didn't get a single achievement even though i had finished a couple of levels, So i checked the Achievement list. That was quite surprising, but thankfully i didn't unlock anything so i dodged a bullet there.I had the same as you, unfortunately i only found out after completing the Easy difficulty. Did some really easy ones after that and now i'm stuck with this: Kennyannydenny's achievements in Lost Planet: Extreme Condition Colonies

    The game is just not fun enough to play through again and even back in 2009 i had problems with finding a MP game.
  • ChucklestyleChucklestyle881,345
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 20:24
    Speaking as someone who actually completed Game Room, it wasn't super difficult if you planned it out properly. There is a forum thread for the game that describes and exploit where you use free tokens to run up gametime and practice a game, then purchase a single play (as opposed to the full game purchase) to unlock the medals.

    Yeah, it's still a pain in the ass grind, but I'd say easily more doable than Pinball FX2.
  • ChewieOnIceChewieOnIce899,094
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 20:27, Edited on 22 March 15 at 20:27 by ChewieOnIce
    WoodyLovesKushx said:I cant disagree more with Pinball Fx being on this list. the achievements in it a for more than just playing pinball and getting points..its for doing the quests and doing more than flciking a ball which alot of people forget about when playing pinball. Also the achievements arent luck based...they take a great amount of skill and practice...exactly what a achievements should be like...not just grinding or just given away like perfect dark or avatar. pinball fx has one of the best achievement lists so it can decide who is skillful and determine the people who have actually achieved. Altogether one of my favorite achievement lists is a tie between lost planet 2 and ssx...ssx has an amazing list that seperates who is good and who just plays for fun. Some of them have some ways to grind but theres not point in it. Lost planet 2 does not have a grindy list either. If you absolutely love that game..you will play it an accomplish everything there is to do. People do grind it and complain about it but id rather just get a party together play that game for fun. It would seperate who played for real and who disnt if people didnt grind.Are you referring to the 360 or the One version? In the article I state that the 360 version is ok because it provides a variety of achievements for each table. I also state it's not bad have difficult achievements and you should be very proud for having got them. But there are plenty of people who will actively avoid the game because of its list because of the difficulty and distribution of the achievements, which is a shame. A few more forgiving achievements per table mixed in with the tough ones (like on the 360 version) may have got more people to bite on picking them up.
    @ChewieOnIce | NewsHound | 'Please don't kill us.' 'Please don't make it so appealing'
  • MugenKairoMugenKairo254,603
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 20:28
    Good list, I never run into unlockable achievement lists as I'll always check in TA before purchasing. But luckily Ive never played any of the top 5
    'Life begins beyond the edge of your comfort zone'
  • Van UdenVan Uden710,278
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 20:29
    This is probably the worst top 5 I have seen so far. About as unimaginative as the achievement lists on this list
  • ChewieOnIceChewieOnIce899,094
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 20:34
    Van Uden said:This is probably the worst top 5 I have seen so far. About as unimaginative as the achievement lists on this listNot as unimaginative as a negative comment that offers nothing in the way of alternative choices wink
    @ChewieOnIce | NewsHound | 'Please don't kill us.' 'Please don't make it so appealing'
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.