Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Bad Achievement Lists

• The DiscThe Disc1,120,899
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 20:44
    I'm a huge fan of Deadly Premonition & agree that the achievement list could have been better. The trading card one is great as it encourages you to explore but the non-stackable achievements was down right silly.
  • wBRYwBRY705,470
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 20:51
    #1 Bomberman Act Zero
  • Posted on 22 March 15 at 20:51
    Ghostbusters cry

Those MP achievements.

The rest of the list was fantastic.
    This space for rent.
  • Van UdenVan Uden710,278
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 20:52
    ChewieOnIce said:Van Uden said:This is probably the worst top 5 I have seen so far. About as unimaginative as the achievement lists on this listNot as unimaginative as a negative comment that offers nothing in the way of alternative choices winklaugh Touché laugh

Hate getting called out on being too lazy to offer alternatives cry
  • Posted on 22 March 15 at 20:53
    " With the game recently removed from the store and no more arcade titles available to purchase, it's now an uncompleteable one for anyone who hasn't laid down the cash to do so. I'd say RIP, but I wouldn't mean it."

So this is all we get as recognition of it being removed and made incompletable? No reason why or anything? Happened in the past few weeks with no notice, naturally, just under five years after its release, right around the time I was finally gonna shell out the cash to finish this pos...
  • ChewieOnIceChewieOnIce899,094
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 20:56
    Van Uden said:ChewieOnIce said:Van Uden said:This is probably the worst top 5 I have seen so far. About as unimaginative as the achievement lists on this listNot as unimaginative as a negative comment that offers nothing in the way of alternative choices winklaugh Touché laugh

toast Lol no problem mate. You are of course entirely entitled to hate the list. Opinions would be crap if everyone agreed with them.
    @ChewieOnIce | NewsHound | 'Please don't kill us.' 'Please don't make it so appealing'
  • xxx ALxxx AL1,169,606
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 20:57
    The Crew:

Overclocker

Drive 5000 miles in the same vehicle.

Problem is progression bar is broken.

No matter how far you travel in the game, your progress is locked in at 7%.

No more Ubisoft games for me.

Yeah I know, I don't get to play any more Assassin's Creed.

Oh wait!

You play one, you've played them all.

Just the time period and setting change.

How bout those 1 000 flags you have to find? heh heh heh
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 22 March 15 at 20:59
    Van Uden said:ChewieOnIce said:Van Uden said:This is probably the worst top 5 I have seen so far. About as unimaginative as the achievement lists on this listNot as unimaginative as a negative comment that offers nothing in the way of alternative choices winklaugh Touché laugh

Or even an explanation how a great idea for a top 5 isn'ta good idea in your opinion? One of the best ideas so far if you ask me.

OT: Any Tiger Woods game. With the unobtainables and pure nutty grinds, let's hope Rory Mcilroy's is a lot better.
  • NastyMastaDaddyNastyMastaDaddy2,157,485
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 21:00
    I only i did one playthrough for south park and followed a guide so I didnt miss anything. But I didnt find it a hassle and it also didnt take away from the game being awesome.

Also most sports games in which servers are shut down. Someone mentioned Hellboy which I believe should be mentioned here for sure. I agree with game room being number one. You load it up and it is stuck to your card. The money required to complete it makes it number one in my book.

I would like to add that most sports games achievement lists are the same from year to year without much change which is very dull. Great top 5 topic love it.
    completion percentage how I loathe thee
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 21:01
    Breadly Weapon said:" With the game recently removed from the store and no more arcade titles available to purchase, it's now an uncompleteable one for anyone who hasn't laid down the cash to do so. I'd say RIP, but I wouldn't mean it."

So this is all we get as recognition of it being removed and made incompletable? No reason why or anything? Happened in the past few weeks with no notice, naturally, just under five years after its release, right around the time I was finally gonna shell out the cash to finish this pos...
    Unfortunately MS rarely advertise their delistings, if ever. The servers had been patchy for a while. If I was to guess I'd say they had a five year contract to sell the licensed games with and that contract was not renewed as it wasn't exactly a resoundingly successful service. That's pure speculation though.
    @ChewieOnIce | NewsHound | 'Please don't kill us.' 'Please don't make it so appealing'
  • NBA KirklandNBA Kirkland1,381,132
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 21:03
    Could not agree more on Pinball FX2 for the XB1. 1 achievement and 10gs per table for DLC is simply mind-boggling.

Dishonorable mention to Angry Bird Star Wars for the XB1 and the devs for never fixing the unobtainable.
    @NBAKirkland
  • Posted on 22 March 15 at 21:09
    completely agree with Pinball FX. Worst fucking list out there, you need like 200 achievements and probably 95% of them are PURELY luck based. Shame, because its a great time waster and very well made but how the fuck could you design this achievement list and think it was possible for the average gamer to get 100%??
  • Posted on 22 March 15 at 21:20
    My main hates are glitchy games like gow 1.0 when you had to kill more than was stated for the achievement.
    Also hate games that have lots of the same rubbish like batmans with do this challenge and that challenge
    Thankfully have not played the top 5 but I agree with the brothers statment
  • Posted on 22 March 15 at 21:25
    Pinball F/X 2 is fine....Pinball Arcade X1 is the worst achievement list ever.
  • boldfoxrdboldfoxrd391,769
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 21:30
    What about Sonic 3's? Or offering no achievements for linking it to Sonic and Knuckles for the true Sonic 3 :D

Seriously, that list was garbage. S 1 and 2 had timed achieves yet 3 had nothing like that :(
    rdenton85 that is my ps3 id
  • spacedvest2spacedvest2768,592
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 21:32, Edited on 22 March 15 at 21:34 by spacedvest2
    I don't completely agree with Southpark or Pinball FX2. Southpark has a completion percentage of 15%. Even though it has a lot of missables, it is just your typical game that you need to road map to get it all in one play through. Also, like mentioned, some of the achievements are hilarious. If you follow this logic of including a game with massive missable achievements, take a look at Blue Dragon. If you miss some collectibles in that game, it is impossible to go back and get them later, and without even realizing it, you are screwed and have to do another playthrough. The missable collectibles are so easy to miss. Plus the achievement list in Blue Dragon is kind of weak regardless, it is one of those older games with kind of boring achievements in general.

Pinball FX2 is supposed to be a challenge, most of the tables have one easy achievement, one achievement that should unlock with a little effort, and an achievement that is a challenge. When they released the Xbox One version, the developers had just hit the limit on the 360 version, so they were skittish about releasing tables with multiple achievements. I think they were confused with the Xbox One came out.

One game that I think should be mentioned is Disney The Little Mermaid: Undersea Treasures! (Win 8) . This game is like Hellboy, in that it was uncompletible with DLC that was not released. This game was ridiculous though, since it has three achievements that you can unlock without paying anything, and then boom! 17 unobtainable achievements that you are stuck with.

Another point that could be made for some games is excellent DLC that does not have achievements, like Far Cry 3 and Dark Souls 2.
  • FaalbaardFaalbaard165,452
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 21:35
    nice list
    except for brothers, the fact that they have the most original achievements i've seen counts for more then a cheevo for finishing the game, if u ask me.
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 21:36
    spacedvest2 said:If you follow this logic of including a game with massive missable achievements, take a look at Blue Dragon. If you miss some collectibles in that game, it is impossible to go back and get them later, and without even realizing it, you are screwed and have to do another playthrough. The missable collectibles are so easy to miss. Plus the achievement list in Blue Dragon is kind of weak regardless.Blue Dragon is a good shout. All those missables look like a pain.
  • Posted on 22 March 15 at 21:45
    luke turbo2010 said:Halo MCC should be on here not everyone is a wizz at that game and 3 hours to do a whole campaign really takes the wizzI mean, the not every achievement needs to be achievable by everyone (otherwise it's not much of an achievement). The 3 hour ones are actually fairly easy on the list, simply because they've all have speed runs of two hours or less, so if you follow their routes you still have an hour to screw up with and get them. What would have been more difficult would have been the LASO achievements had the checkpoint sharing glitch not been discovered.
  • NawtyCawtyNawtyCawty564,086
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 21:47
    It's a pretty poor list. What about all the stupid grindy achievements lists that require you to play the same tedious game for hours on end, like Gears of War. And on that note Pure Pool should be number one without question.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.