Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Bad Achievement Lists

• Oriole2682Oriole26822,554,954
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 21:47
    dropK1CK ninJA said:Ghostbusters cry

Those MP achievements.

The rest of the list was fantastic.
    You must be one of those people that got affected by the glitch, which has NOTHING to do with the actual achievement list. I've never more fun playing a game with a group of people on Xbox Live even if we were all shitting ourselves over if all the achievements would pop...
  • Aj6627Aj6627171,909
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 21:51
    Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter and it's Leaderboard achievements would like a word with this post.
  • FireRaiser1985FireRaiser19851,019,371
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 21:53, Edited on 22 March 15 at 21:53 by FireRaiser1985
    Lists with 1, 2, 7, 9 gamerscore and so on... My worst nightmare is to have a total gamerscore not ending with a 0 or 5.
  • Amedeus8Amedeus8210,406
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 21:54
    Game Room was a neat idea, but it didn't really have the right variety. If all you wanted was old Atari 2600 games, you were in luck. If you wanted a bunch of still-famous arcade games, you weren't going to find very many.

Plus, I feel like the arcade itself should have been more interactive. Like Arcadecraft or Anarchy Arcade.
    The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.
  • gobey17gobey17788,497
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 21:54
    Blue Dragon had quite annoying achievement requirements for getting all those missable items, yes. Kinda hate it when I need to keep looking at a list for every single area I go to.

Funny enough me and a friend after not playing Perfect Dark for agesss got round to completing the co-op, which encouraged me to finish off the horrible MP stuff (but at least you could just do it with bots). Normally, huge time-sinks in mp turns me off big time - yes, looking at you GOW. warning
  • ScytharisScytharis116,237
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 21:55
    I agree with the Deadly Premonition entry, such a shame there's no achievements for all the many sidequests available.
  • Xeno OrangeXeno Orange483,360
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 21:56
    Fuck, Game Room got delisted? Why did I start that? cry
  • Capt KerunchCapt Kerunch120,327
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 21:58
    Ghostbusters! Great list but to continue to sell the game with glitched cheevos is shit. Somebody is getting the money from sales and someone is responsible for the servers even if the original maker of the game has gone under. They should just make all the multiplayer achievements pop after 20 hours of play for the people who love the game but are put off by the glitches.
    Capt Kerunch
  • Capt KerunchCapt Kerunch120,327
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 21:59
    ^20 hours of multiplayer play...
    Capt Kerunch
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 22 March 15 at 22:06
    Yoostar 2 probably deserved the Number 1 spot.

I wish I could mention another game right now that's all I can think of. I have another in mind but something about this particular list is telling me to hold back. It's something about the word 'bad', I don't know... is this just me?
    Hydro Thunder Hurricane
  • FiveTaceyFiveTacey207,765
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 22:06
    You ask us for suggestions on good lists then pick a really negative one? Plus it's a dull and unimaginative one, I like to see you guys reimagine characters or games in a different light. Honestly all this list does is tell us broken games are bad, luck based grinds are bad, small and overly simple lists are bad.
  • ChewieOnIceChewieOnIce899,094
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 22:07, Edited on 22 March 15 at 22:10 by ChewieOnIce
    NawtyCawty said:It's a pretty poor list. What about all the stupid grindy achievements lists that require you to play the same tedious game for hours on end, like Gears of War. And on that note Pure Pool should be number one without question.Perfect Dark Zero represents that side of things because almost the whole list is that whereas in GoW it's just a few achievements.

Aj6627 said:Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter and it's Leaderboard achievements would like a word with this post.Those are just a few achievements, not the whole list.

zI Henas Iz said:You ask us for suggestions on good lists then pick a really negative one? Plus it's a dull and unimaginative one, I like to see you guys reimagine characters or games in a different light. Honestly all this list does is tell us broken games are bad, luck based grinds are bad, small and overly simple lists are bad.It's not like this was the only one chosen from the community suggestions, this was just the one I picked for this week. There may be ones in subsequent weeks that are more to your liking.
    @ChewieOnIce | NewsHound | 'Please don't kill us.' 'Please don't make it so appealing'
  • BRARROWBRARROW374,075
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 22:25
    ArkhmInmate0801 said:Ok, so Game Room and Perfect Dark suck but there are some really shitty lists that belong here. This top 5 feels like it was written by someone without that much completion experience Totally agree 2 xbl games and 3 with short lists from the beginning of the console cycle..............not very imaginative or interesting
  • Dakrkplayer2Dakrkplayer2911,818
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 22:31
    Next week. Bring the best list ever.
    .XBOX 4 LIFE. https://www.change.org/petitions/to-tell-microsoft-to-make-self-published-live-able-games-on-windows-phone-and-windows-8-and-tell-deve
  • ChewieOnIceChewieOnIce899,094
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 22:49
    BRARROW said:ArkhmInmate0801 said:Ok, so Game Room and Perfect Dark suck but there are some really shitty lists that belong here. This top 5 feels like it was written by someone without that much completion experience Totally agree 2 xbl games and 3 with short lists from the beginning of the console cycle..............not very imaginative or interestingIt would be great to see some of you guys' suggestions for alternatives. I'm not sure why having XBL games would be an issue and there's also only one with a short list from the beginning of the console cycle. Perfect Dark's is actually fairly long with a full 50. I'm not sure what the third is?
    @ChewieOnIce | NewsHound | 'Please don't kill us.' 'Please don't make it so appealing'
  • Posted on 22 March 15 at 22:53
    My nod goes to Star Ocean: The Last Hope. At first glance, it's not too bad for an RPG. Some story progression, ending achievements, a bunch of 100%, what could go wrong?

Same thing that gave South Park a dishonorable: tons of missables. Each ending is missable unless you follow a set path through the story to optimize character relationships. Even after following a guide, I'm still missing some. What could be wrong with 100% treasure chests, quests, and recipes? The fact that the entire first half of the game is a point of no return. Ran through the exploding area with a timer? Missed a chest! Didn't talk to an NPC outside your ship that only appears in the first hour of the game? Missed a recipe! Missed a room inside your home base like I did? Missed all three!

And then the battle trophies, which requires you to use every character for a minimum of 15 hours or so while grinding every little aspect of their combat, as 99% of them don't count if you're not controlling the character. Haven't you always wanted to manually revive 1,000 allies without a hotkey? Here's your chance! Defeat the superboss with a character specifically designed to not do well against her? In ten minutes? And the superboss doubles health every time you beat them? And it takes three hours to get to them with no save point? Sign me up! Oh, and you can't even get them all in one playthrough, so you'll need to do at least two playthroughs of 100+ hours, bare minimum.

Maybe if the game had any redeeming qualities after 300 hours, there'd be something to point out in its defense. But that's 300 hours knowing I'd have to go back and repeat a good chunk of it for the 100%. No thanks.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur.
  • Grimace221Grimace221897,340
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 22:55
    Even though I completed it, I will admit Game Room certainly has a shitty list, but hey it was advertised as being chock full of Micro-transactions to actually get the games. Still they awarded people with an achievement just for loading it up, essentially sucking all the completionists out there.

Brothers however, I think doesn't belong on this list. I don't really think it is fair to say they needed an achievement in there at the end to get people to finish the game in order to see the ending. I do remember a time where we beat games without getting achievements. People should want to finish out the game because it tells a good story, I know I did.
  • Posted on 22 March 15 at 22:56, Edited on 22 March 15 at 22:59 by Mobius Evalon
    The article writer has clearly never played Inversion, because it should have easily made any top 5 for a bad achievement list.

41 of them are fair enough. Complete each chapter, complete the game, complete the game coop, a tiny bit of campaign grinding for 100 helmets shot off, even a bit of fun with an achievement to throw a dead body at your teammate.

Then everything goes to hell in a handbasket.

Absolutely no-one plays the multiplayer on Inversion so your only MP experience is via boosting. You need up to 12 to accomplish some of the achievements and subtasks and then, the enormous pile of shit at the end of the tunnel, Feats. A single achievement that requires no less than 600 hours of grinding and has been unlocked by only 43 people ever because not only do you lose your will to live during the grind, the game is spectacularly glitchy/crashy and carries a very high probability of resetting your entire multiplayer progress.

A game that pulls a glitchy, barren, 600 hour multiplayer grind out of its ass when the rest of the list is extremely forgiving? That should take the cake.
    Supporter of unpopular opinions.
  • ProfiliaProfilia164,045
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 22:59, Edited on 22 March 15 at 22:59 by Profilia
    DrCanadianNinja said:My nod goes to Star Ocean: The Last Hope. At first glance, it's not too bad for an RPG. Some story progression, ending achievements, a bunch of 100%, what could go wrong?Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who enjoyed this game. :P
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.