Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Bad Achievement Lists

• Capn BeavCapn Beav667,558
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 23:01
    I'd have to nominate Fairytale Fights for an honorable mention. 6 playthroughs for a completion? C'mon man!!
  • ChewieOnIceChewieOnIce899,094
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 23:01
    Grimace221 said:Brothers however, I think doesn't belong on this list. I don't really think it is fair to say they needed an achievement in there at the end to get people to finish the game in order to see the ending. I do remember a time where we beat games without getting achievements. People should want to finish out the game because it tells a good story, I know I did.I completely agree that they shouldn't have to put one in, but that's exactly the shame of it. I've spoken to a few people around here who have said they only played up until the achievements were done. It was shocking to me to hear that when the story is so strong and the ending so affecting. It's at those people I'd aim having a finish the story achievement at, because they absolutely should and if having an achievement in there to do that is what it takes, then so be it. It's also why it's only on the list of mentions, not the actual top five.
    @ChewieOnIce | NewsHound | 'Please don't kill us.' 'Please don't make it so appealing'
  • FailedSeppukuFailedSeppuku1,161,258
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 23:03
    i don't agree with Brothers, i think by the time you've got all the achievements you're so invested in the game you're bound to complete it anyway.

Dead or Alive Xtreme 2
    Quake 4
    I agree with Perfect Dark
    Any game where difficulty achievements don't stack, even EDF which is one of my favourite games of all time.
    Superman and lift 10,000 tonnes
    250 achievements on old games for 1% increase.... soon be 90% >_<
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 23:05, Edited on 22 March 15 at 23:06 by ChewieOnIce
    Mobius Evalon said:The article writer has clearly never played Inversion, because it should have easily made any top 5 for a bad achievement list.

41 of them are fair enough. Complete each chapter, complete the game, complete the game coop, a tiny bit of campaign grinding for 100 helmets shot off, even a bit of fun with an achievement to throw a dead body at your teammate.

Then everything goes to hell in a handbasket.

Absolutely no-one plays the multiplayer on Inversion so your only MP experience is via boosting. You need up to 12 to accomplish some of the achievements and subtasks and then, the enormous pile of shit at the end of the tunnel, Feats. A single achievement that requires no less than 600 hours of grinding and has been unlocked by only 43 people ever because not only do you lose your will to live during the grind, the game is spectacularly glitchy/crashy and carries a very high probability of resetting your entire multiplayer progress.

A game that pulls a glitchy, barren, 600 hour multiplayer grind out of its ass when the rest of the list is extremely forgiving? That should take the cake.
    That does sound like an absolute pain. If the other 41 are ok though, it doesn't quite meet the criteria for the majority of the list being bad. Maybe we need a Top Five: Games That Pull Crappy Achievements Out Of Their Ass When The Rest Of The List Is Ok laugh That would also appease those who wanted to see Gears, Ghost Recon and a few others that have been mentioned.
    @ChewieOnIce | NewsHound | 'Please don't kill us.' 'Please don't make it so appealing'
  • NeverUnluckyNeverUnlucky230,779
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 23:17
    One of the best TA Top 5 written thus far.
    Beat the best, Own the rest.
  • spletchiespletchie582,606
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 23:35
    I would nominate the list from Earth Defense Force 2017 - only 6 achievements, 5 of which are for completing the game on each difficulty (non-stackable). Ugh.
  • Posted on 22 March 15 at 23:39
    It was my favorite list!!!
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 23:40
    spletchie said:I would nominate the list from Earth Defense Force 2017 - only 6 achievements, 5 of which are for completing the game on each difficulty (non-stackable). Ugh.Oh man, that's horrible. Great suggestion.
  • Posted on 22 March 15 at 23:46, Edited on 23 March 15 at 00:04 by MrZombieChicken
    I don't understand how World of Tanks didn't get at least an honorary mention. To me it should've taken the #1 spot. They keep adding ridiculously random luck-based achievements with each patch, and each time it's something more ridiculous than the last. The last batch of achievements were so incredibly ludicrous, that I stopped playing the game all together.
    Not only do some of the achievements require some serious coordination between a ton of players to get via a boost session, they also need to be done on a specific map. In addition to the fact it's impossible to pick which map you get and the rotation has a couple dozen maps, players are picked at random. Also, if the planets do align and boosters actually find one another on the correct map, only a couple can get the achievement out of the whole group of potentially 20+ players.
    This is no joke:
    World of Tanks: Valor (Xbox 360)Maximum OverdriveThe Maximum Overdrive achievement in World of Tanks: Valor (Xbox 360) worth 94 pointsDestroy 2 tanks by ramming them and survive.

It makes me incredibly sad every time I talk about it cry

Also, I have to mention Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2012 mainly because of this achievement which takes years to complete legitimately.
    Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 20123 Black StarThe 3 Black Star achievement in Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2012 worth 564 pointsBurn 200,000 calories
  • spookyhurstspookyhurst438,746
    Posted on 22 March 15 at 23:52
    Edward Hyena said:Left out Hail to the Chimp, with two achievements so difficult no one's figured out for sure if you can lock yourself out of them or not.I thought this looked like a fun game, but it turned out to be the only game on my tag that I absolutely hated playing angry.
  • Posted on 22 March 15 at 23:53
    Ugh!! Game Room was a right pain in the ass that took me 9 solid months to complete, with one month dedicated solely to that bloody Level 20 achievement!

I'd have to agree with some of the comments here about those grinding achievements, where you can get at least half the achievement list in a couple of sessions, and then have 1-2 grinding achievements that take months to do (GOW and Angry Birds (WP) are perfect examples of that!)

Then there's those arcade fighting games (SF2 Hyper Fighting and MK) that have the easiest single player achievements, that can be achieved in 1-2 playthroughs, but have those MP achievements that are nearly unobtainable because either the server is unable to join anyone, or there's simply noone playing. It took me about 4 years to get the '30 Ranked Wins' achievement in SF2 Hyper Fighting, because it was near-impossible to find anyone actually playing. Even when I was boosting wins with my mate and we were practically the only 2 players in the world playing the game at the time, the server still had a very hard time finding and connecting us!

Finally, I'd have to include the Guitar Hero games, simply because there are piss-easy achievements for simply uploading/downloading a song to GHTunes or creating a custom character/instrument/song/logo etc, but then there's achievements for having to complete the game for every instrument in each difficulty, or having to grind out x amount of points or dollars in career mode, or having to score x amount of points for a certain song and it HAS to be in a 4-player band.
  • Posted on 22 March 15 at 23:53
    Capt Kerunch said:Ghostbusters! Great list but to continue to sell the game with glitched cheevos is shit. Somebody is getting the money from sales and someone is responsible for the servers even if the original maker of the game has gone under. They should just make all the multiplayer achievements pop after 20 hours of play for the people who love the game but are put off by the glitches.I guess I'm one of the lucky people, I 1000gs the game a few months ago and came across no problems with any cheevs, & the list is actually pretty good if you aren't unlucky with things glitching on you
  • SPACE ODDITYSPACE ODDITY1,064,848
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 00:11
    Don't agree with the top 2, Quake 4 or GRAW leaderboard achievements are more deservingfacepalm
    QUAKE 4 Number One GRAW Solo Number OneT
  • justinman114justinman114183,142
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 00:17, Edited on 23 March 15 at 00:18 by justinman114
    The fact that Quake 4 isn't on this list is simply wrong.

It should be at LEAST #2 behind Game Room, but I put it #1.

F.E.A.R. 2 and GRAW also should probably be on there, but I haven't personally played them to know for sure. I have heard many things though.
    I am a leaf on the wind....watch how I soar.
  • Posted on 23 March 15 at 00:22, Edited on 23 March 15 at 00:23 by The SCHWARTZ 00
    While not a terrible achievement list, I'd like to nominate a single achievement for one of the top 5 worst/grindiest ever:

Mortal Kombat - My Kung Fu Is Greater

24 hours with EACH character. Doing this legit, would probably take months. If you live a normal life (work, girlfriend, friends, gym time, etc), you'll probably never ever get this one, and if you did, it would take some seriously inhuman dedication.
  • Posted on 23 March 15 at 00:34
    I'm so annoyed that you can't play multiplayer on Avatar, (the one with the blue people) anymore!! It just says can't connect to server!!! I'm just 1achievement of 1000G!!!!
    D. Borrell
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 23 March 15 at 00:34
    The SCHWARTZ 00 said:While not a terrible achievement list, I'd like to nominate a single achievement for one of the top 5 worst/grindiest ever:

24 hours with EACH character. Doing this legit, would probably take months. If you live a normal life (work, girlfriend, friends, gym time, etc), you'll probably never ever get this one, and if you did, it would take some seriously inhuman dedication.
    Super easy if you leave your Xbox on at night once a week, that way you can get the 24 hours in around a year without using too much electricity in one go.
    Hydro Thunder Hurricane
  • Posted on 23 March 15 at 00:35
    Profilia said:DrCanadianNinja said:My nod goes to Star Ocean: The Last Hope. At first glance, it's not too bad for an RPG. Some story progression, ending achievements, a bunch of 100%, what could go wrong?Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who enjoyed this game. :PI would have loved the combat system... had I not played Tales of Vesperia first. Lackluster game, terrible, forgettable characters with one exception, hackneyed plot, irritating achievements... apart from that, it was pretty good.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur.
  • Posted on 23 March 15 at 00:38
    Oddworld X said:The SCHWARTZ 00 said:While not a terrible achievement list, I'd like to nominate a single achievement for one of the top 5 worst/grindiest ever:

Super easy if you leave your Xbox on at night once a week, that way you can get the 24 hours in around a year without using too much electricity in one go.
    yeah but see thats my point...you have to resort to fuckery like this just to get it laugh. And even with this method, as you said, it would still take a year. Crazy!
  • Posted on 23 March 15 at 00:41, Edited on 23 March 15 at 00:41 by dropK1CK ninJA
    Oriole2682 said:dropK1CK ninJA said:Ghostbusters cry

Those MP achievements.

The rest of the list was fantastic.
    You must be one of those people that got affected by the glitch, which has NOTHING to do with the actual achievement list. I've never more fun playing a game with a group of people on Xbox Live even if we were all shitting ourselves over if all the achievements would pop...
    Yup, I'm the guy that actually diagnosed them as unobtainable when the game launched.

Those achievements were unobtainable until a year or so ago from the "patch" that is still hit and miss.

Those unobtainables makes that game sort of fall into this article.

Not knocking the game itself, which is by far the best movie tie-in game (yes beating Goldeneye), but I will knock the unobtainable achievements.
    This space for rent.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.