Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Bad Achievement Lists

• FJMatlockFJMatlock202,150
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 04:43
    Pembo 1996 said:Any free-to-play game post 2011, i.e Happy Wars, Spartacus Legends, Ascend: Hand of Kul, World of Tanks, Airmech Arena, Warface. I should have learnt my lesson after the first oneWhat's wrong with Spartacus Legends? Outside of the long annoying grind to fame level 50 the rest of the list is decent enough.
  • Posted on 23 March 15 at 05:32
    GRAW 1. Anything that requires you to do something with top of anything multiplayer.. is downright stupid.
  • VolsungrVolsungr99,041
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 05:41, Edited on 23 March 15 at 05:41 by Volsungr
    With unobtainable and discontinued achievements, "true" completionists are going to miss out on a lot of games.

Maybe TA should do something about that.
  • Posted on 23 March 15 at 05:53
    All these posts and no one says Rumble Roses XX?
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 23 March 15 at 06:04
    Zonrith1 said:I've faced some brutal and boring achievement lists (hello Lost Planet 2), but Shadowrun I think was the worst I've ever really seen, being the dreaded combination of almost entirely MP-only in nature, and most of that split between long grinds and "achievements" that are so luck-based that they can only be boosted to obtain. Meh.I understand you probably don't like Shadowrun, but Lost Planet 2 is beyond Shadowrun.

Easily.
    I love women. I have all their albums.
  • FunkDogFunkDog546,466
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 06:47
    Pinball FX 2 is primarily luck based? Damn kids today don't even know what luck is.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 23 March 15 at 06:58
    GRAW is a bad boy since i have pushed the boards up. smile
    Same happens for Quake German and soon the regular Version. laugh
    DMC4: 25 XBL WR's - 15 PSN WR's 1000/1000G completed in 30hrs.
  • PHANTOM JJPHANTOM JJ196,490
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 06:58
    Perfect Dark Zero is the only game I am familiar with on the list and I could not agree more with the summation; however, there is one aspect I feel was missed in the list.

Leader-board achievements!

There is nothing fair or healthy about leader-board related achievements. The entire concept is that you are giving someone the same amount of gamerscore for doing more work than the previous gamer. And on top of the scoring being unfair, it promotes the worse in people, because inevitably there will be one or two gamers on every leader-board that will not want to give up the top spot or just do not want anyone else to get the achievement. The result is hundreds of hours being wasted by the leader-board blocker and the completionists trying for the achievement.
    May your reactions be swift and just. May your rounds fly straight and true.
  • Posted on 23 March 15 at 07:28
    Also didn't know Game Room was shut down. Dunno whether to be upset I can't do it now or happy I don't have to XD.
    Already have plenty of unobtainables/discontinued so adding more to the list doesn't really kill me any more.
  • Posted on 23 March 15 at 07:38
    Every online achievement.
  • ChewieOnIceChewieOnIce899,094
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 08:28
    Some great suggestions for alternative options guys, keep me coming. Don't forget tho that this is about whole lists, not individual achievements. So stuff like leaderboard achievements on their own don't really count unless the majority of the list is bad too.
    @ChewieOnIce | NewsHound | 'Please don't kill us.' 'Please don't make it so appealing'
  • HanxHanx824,499
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 09:16
    Gears of War 1's Seriously achievement is beyond absurd. Have to be ranked matches and have at least 6 people and there is only one life per round. Pretty dreadful. Compared to Gears 3? S3.0 is extremely easy and can be self-boosted against bots.
  • MemoriesOfFinalMemoriesOfFinal1,333,943
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 09:33, Edited on 23 March 15 at 09:37 by MemoriesOfFinal
    I nominate any of these on my card over any of the games in the top 5:

XBLA:
    Takedown Red Sabre
    Rekoil: Liberator
    War World
    Pacific Rim: The Video Game
    Zeno Clash: UE (you don't even have to beat the game to unlock all achievements)
    Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Decade Duels
    Braid
    Limbo
    Monopoly Plus (a good variety but frustratingly easy and unimagined)

Xbox 360:
    Digimon All-Star Rumble
    Otomedius Excellent (you got to beat the game 17 times ffs and even then the grind isn't done)
    Quake 4
    Bomberman: Act Zero
    WarTech: Senko no Ronde
    The King of Fighter XII
    Fighters Uncaged
    Enchanted Arms
    The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Windows 8:
    Puzzle by Nikoli x Sudoku
    most Microsoft games with Daily Challenges imo (look at Sudoku for example)

Games I haven't played but know are a lame list:
    Under Defeat HD
    Dead or Alive Xtreme 2
    probably most Japanese Visual Novels

there are probably more Im missing (from my own list of played games)
  • Posted on 23 March 15 at 09:33, Edited on 23 March 15 at 09:35 by Mannschaft570
    World of Tanks had quite a good set of original achievements, but things are getting more ridiculous with every update. Same for Happy Wars.

The leaderboard achievements in GRAW would not be that bad if they were updated from time to time. No leaderboard reset in 9 years? Let's just say they are unobtainable now.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 23 March 15 at 10:07, Edited on 23 March 15 at 10:11 by
    It's fun how people are saying that GRAW is unobtainable. smile

Cobryza said:Gears of War 1's Seriously achievement is beyond absurd. Have to be ranked matches and have at least 6 people and there is only one life per round. Pretty dreadful. Compared to Gears 3? S3.0 is extremely easy and can be self-boosted against bots.You did GOW3 with one console as well? If yes, then Seriously 1.0 is a joke, ok 1.0 is in generall a joke compared to GOW3, because GOW3 is a massive grind. laugh
    It's also fun how, i would say at least 90% of all TA Users have SPG'ed it. And of course Seriously 3.0 is their last achievement and no or less Leaderboard entries.
    DMC4: 25 XBL WR's - 15 PSN WR's 1000/1000G completed in 30hrs.
  • Posted on 23 March 15 at 10:38, Edited on 23 March 15 at 10:55 by HappyCalf82281
    South Park and Brothers really don't belong in this list.

The missable achievements in South Park really aren't a problem as it's a game that is fun to play through a second time anyway and is relatively short for an RPG.

As for Brothers, well what sort of tool would get almost all the way to the end and just stop because they pop the last achievement? Games are primarily meant to be fun and not just a way to watch a meaningless number inflate. Just play the last 15 minutes!

For suggestions for this list, any game with ridiculously grindy multiplayer achievements for games that are predominantly single player focussed anyway, especially when the lobbies for said game dwindle to almost nothing within a month of release. Examples off the top of my head: Tomb Raider, Saints Row 1 & 2, Bioshock 2, Singularity, Batman: Arkham Origins, SSX, Max Payne 3.

I'm also not a fan of games that have separate co-op completion achievements as it requires having friends who have the same amount of commitment and available gaming time as you. Saints Row 2 is another culprit here, as well as the first Crackdown.

Lara Croft & The Temple of Osiris is on my shit-list too for having an achievement that requires playing locally with four controllers, which is outright saying "spend £100+ on more pads so you can finish this list". Halo MCC has a similar one but there's no chance I'm getting close to ever completing that list anyway.

Rayman Legends also deserves a mention for that final level of awesomeness achievement which is far too much of a grind and ruined an otherwise great list.
  • Dancing RobDancing Rob150,762
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 10:44
    I disagree heavily with Brothers and South Park featuring on this list.

The whole point of achievements is to encourage you to do different stuff, rather than just play the game through to the credits, and both those games are perfect examples of the sort of thing that should be on achievement lists, rather than the unimaginative 'finish level 2' / 'defeat big boss in 3 minutes' tripe you see with most games.

Overall, it's a pretty poor list I feel, 2 games from the early days of the 360 before devs had realised achievements would become a thing, Game Room, which was pretty much a complete disaster in every respect, Pinball FX, which is a proper challenging list and only one game that really 'deserves' to be there, and that because of the extreme disconnect between the wierdness of the game (which is one of my favourites) and the dullness of the list.

For 'bad' lists, you should have included things like Pacman, or the various phone games where you 'complete' a game in 5 minutes, or from one of those games where loads of achievements are only earned in MP, in a game that was obviously never going to have a huge player base - Singularity is the one jumping to mind from my games, but I'm sure there are better examples.

I'd also include at least on example of the deeply unimaginative lists, where you only gain points for doing 'normal' stuff in game. Remember Me is one I have played recently with a particularly dull list, but there are almost too many to list of this style.
  • AckterAckter325,876
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 11:19
    Diablo 3, especially the Xbox One version.

An achievement list designed specifically to drag out the experience and keep people playing long after they've lost the will to live.

Getting the 5 million cash in the 360 version is bad enough, but the One release takes it to a whole new level of hatred for the userbase.
  • ChewieOnIceChewieOnIce899,094
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 11:21, Edited on 23 March 15 at 11:22 by ChewieOnIce
    Dancing Rob said:I disagree heavily with Brothers and South Park featuring on this list.

The whole point of achievements is to encourage you to do different stuff, rather than just play the game through to the credits, and both those games are perfect examples of the sort of thing that should be on achievement lists, rather than the unimaginative 'finish level 2' / 'defeat big boss in 3 minutes' tripe you see with most games.
    I basically say that in the write up for both games. I wouldn't actually change the existing achievements for either game because I think they're unique and fun, which is why they only get mentions and aren't on the actual Top Five. I just know people will look at the South Park list and avoid it because of missables or get frustrated at the game more than enjoy it if they miss something. And I know of people who haven't finished Brothers after completing the achievements, which is incredibly saddening.

For 'bad' lists, you should have included things like Pacman, or the various phone games where you 'complete' a game in 5 minutesAvatar does get a mention for that practise.

one of those games where loads of achievements are only earned in MP, in a game that was obviously never going to have a huge player base - Singularity is the one jumping to mind from my games, but I'm sure there are better examples.You mean like Perfect Dark Zero and Lost Planet: Extreme Condition Colonies? laugh
    @ChewieOnIce | NewsHound | 'Please don't kill us.' 'Please don't make it so appealing'
  • Dancing RobDancing Rob150,762
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 11:32
    ChewieOnIce said:I basically say that in the write up for both games. I wouldn't actually change the existing achievements for either game because I think they're unique and fun, which is why they only get mentions and aren't on the actual Top Five. I just know people will look at the South Park list and avoid it because of missables or get frustrated at the game more than enjoy it if they miss something. And I know of people who haven't finished Brothers after completing the achievements, which is incredibly saddening.That comes under 'people are fuckwits' though! Just because a few idiots here enjoy the ping sound of earning an achievement more than actually playing a game doesn't mean devs should cater to them.

Of your other points, my issue is more that you picked the wrong games to highlight them I suppose (also, I hadn't read properly, and thought Lost Planet was mentioned as a 'grind' example, rather than a tacked on MP one!) I can excuse this sort of poorly designed achievement in early 360 games, as they weren't really a 'thing' until a bit later, but for devs to still be doing the same a couple of years down the line is less acceptable.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.