Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Bad Achievement Lists

• ChewieOnIceChewieOnIce899,094
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 11:42, Edited on 23 March 15 at 11:43 by ChewieOnIce
    Dancing Rob said:ChewieOnIce said:I basically say that in the write up for both games. I wouldn't actually change the existing achievements for either game because I think they're unique and fun, which is why they only get mentions and aren't on the actual Top Five. I just know people will look at the South Park list and avoid it because of missables or get frustrated at the game more than enjoy it if they miss something. And I know of people who haven't finished Brothers after completing the achievements, which is incredibly saddening.That comes under 'people are fuckwits' though! Just because a few idiots here enjoy the ping sound of earning an achievement more than actually playing a game doesn't mean devs should cater to them.

Of your other points, my issue is more that you picked the wrong games to highlight them I suppose (also, I hadn't read properly, and thought Lost Planet was mentioned as a 'grind' example, rather than a tacked on MP one!) I can excuse this sort of poorly designed achievement in early 360 games, as they weren't really a 'thing' until a bit later, but for devs to still be doing the same a couple of years down the line is less acceptable.
    Good points. People generally are fuckwits laugh

I'd say even though Perfect Dark was an early one so could be excused in its own right under "they didn't know any better", it did set a precedence that many subsequent titles have followed. It makes you wonder who's designing the lists. Maybe there's a guy going around designing lists for devs who just loves to mess with us and says "what you really need is to encourage people to play your tacked on multiplayer mode so fill the game with grindy achievements related to that instead of the story". Then he goes home cackling to himself, laughs at all our posts here crying about it, drinks some blood, kills a puppy and sleeps in a coffin.
    @ChewieOnIce | NewsHound | 'Please don't kill us.' 'Please don't make it so appealing'
  • Harry RasingHarry Rasing221,996
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 11:46
    Pinball FX 2 isn't luck-based! warning
  • Vr EnglishVr English687,152
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 11:57
    Great post. I agree with another commenter though that DOAX2 is certainly a worthy contender of the list. Nuts achievement list.
  • ChewieOnIceChewieOnIce899,094
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 12:02
    Vr English said:Great post. I agree with another commenter though that DOAX2 is certainly a worthy contender of the list. Nuts achievement list.It was on my long list. Looks absolutely horrible. But then again, so does the game itself.
    @ChewieOnIce | NewsHound | 'Please don't kill us.' 'Please don't make it so appealing'
  • Posted on 23 March 15 at 12:04, Edited on 24 March 15 at 02:53 by DrSchlepenstein
    Expanding off of games with bad achievement lists, how about for the next Top 5, you do one of games that have that 1 achievement that than makes you hate the game? Mainly because the achievement has an absurd difficulty in getting it or because of its long grind that sucks the joy out of the game and most people went and gave up on. Basically that one achievement that the majority of people (except completionists) went "Fuck This".

Off the top of my head from the games i've played:

EA Trials in Dante's Inferno
    Seriously 1,2,3 in the Gears of War games
    5 million gold in Diablo 3
    Level 70 Hardcore Character in Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition
    Rank 50 10,000 Heals in Happy Wars
    Kill 53,000+ achievements in Left 4 Dead, Dead Rising, Prototype
    Any song Specific Expert Difficulty achievement in the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games

And some of these I got and others are ones I just said "Fuck This" to, though for some people these may be easier for others than they were for me.
  • Dancing RobDancing Rob150,762
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 12:12
    ChewieOnIce said:[
    I'd say even though Perfect Dark was an early one so could be excused in its own right under "they didn't know any better", it did set a precedence that many subsequent titles have followed. It makes you wonder who's designing the lists. Maybe there's a guy going around designing lists for devs who just loves to mess with us and says "what you really need is to encourage people to play your tacked on multiplayer mode so fill the game with grindy achievements related to that instead of the story". Then he goes home cackling to himself, laughs at all our posts here crying about it, drinks some blood, kills a puppy and sleeps in a coffin.
    There definitely is a guy doing that. The nasty little secret of sites like this one is that we are responsible for that guy!

By playing tacked on MP for the achievements / grinding out games long past the point of enjoyment, we are encouraging publishers to continue with that behaviour, and justifying their behaviour when they look at metrics such as 'time spent playing game' when considering funding the next game etc, meaning we get more of it in the future.

With grinding, the fault is entirely our own, and the only rational response for anyone who hates such achievements is to stop going for them. If enough people did this, the grinds would cease.

However, the tacked on MP issue is a more sinister one, in that we have helped to make devs believe there is a market for this sort of game, and therefore encouraged them to spend time / money / resources on tacked on MP, rather than on things people actually want instead.
  • Posted on 23 March 15 at 12:57
    Nothing about Pinball FX2 is luck-based. The author probably simply sucks at the game.
  • Posted on 23 March 15 at 13:00
    I was fully expecting Avatar to be on this list somewhere - 5 achievements, all obtainable within minutes of playing the game just sounds like lazy devs.

I understand the target audiance for the game, as well as the year it was released, but still it just felt lazy. I see the Lego games all have basically the same target audiance, and actually offer a few somewhat imaginative achievements.
    Fully loaded, safety off. This here is a recipe for unpleasantness.
  • AckterAckter325,876
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 13:01
    Avatar was actually a pretty decent game if you carried on playing it.

I also know someone who couldn't get the last achievement :D
  • Necromorph11Necromorph11853,217
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 13:30
    ninja gaiden 2 finish the game using only 1 weapon achievements(8 weapons=8 playthroughs)
    deadfall adventures and quake 4 insanely grindy multiplayer achievements
  • Posted on 23 March 15 at 13:32
    ChewieOnIce said:Vr English said:Great post. I agree with another commenter though that DOAX2 is certainly a worthy contender of the list. Nuts achievement list.It was on my long list. Looks absolutely horrible. But then again, so does the game itself.The 700+ hours it took me to finish it will always be one of my fondest gaming memories.
    Don't be a lemon, be a rose bud.
  • Posted on 23 March 15 at 13:52
    I did not buy games that were easy, bought the ones i wanted on game room and actually got gold in everything. Blades of steel only had one medal and bought that one as i was hoping to play the retro game again but it was crap compared. That was a waste but got my last gold medal from that game as it only had one. Only needed one more.

There was a car game i was ranked1 but someone overtook me and when i wanted the 1st spot again the game always crashed on me.

Game room = Huge Fail
  • SashamorningSashamorning1,944,149
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 14:02
    Basically two things get me about lists that weren't mentioned. The first is for the opposite of the Brothers reference... games that go far too long without popping anything. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that Perfect Dark Zero never popped anything even after several campaign hours, but I only realized that much later.

The other is basically what Edward Hyena alluded to: games with achievements that you can get inadvertently locked out of. Hail to the Chimp may or may not have an achievement with a profile save that destroys your chance of EVER getting it, even if you do the requirements. Same with the famed Mr. NO It All from C&C, where if you skipped the tutorial, you could never get it. EVER. (Fortunately there's been a patch/workaround.)

And then bloody EndWar. Dog of War... win an online war with EACH of the three factions. Each war takes a minimum of 10 days, but the first war went on for like 3 months, so the developers patched it to make the wars more winnable...and nerfed the achievement in the process. So play for MANY months, finish the third war and get... nothing. Did we do it right? Did we not do it right? The world will never know...the servers have been shut down.
    Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Live like it's heaven on earth. Don't forget the [popcorn].
  • Posted on 23 March 15 at 14:20
    Necromorph11 said:ninja gaiden 2 finish the game using only 1 weapon achievements(8 weapons=8 playthroughs)
    Oh wow I forgot about that one.

And the difficulty for that one!
    This space for rent.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 23 March 15 at 14:36
    dropK1CK ninJA said:Necromorph11 said:ninja gaiden 2 finish the game using only 1 weapon achievements(8 weapons=8 playthroughs)
    Oh wow I forgot about that one.

And the difficulty for that one!
    Lol people. roll For the weapons you do a NG+ run and projectile/Ninpo only run.
    Be glad that there isn't Sigma 1 and 2 for the xbox.
    DMC4: 25 XBL WR's - 15 PSN WR's 1000/1000G completed in 30hrs.
  • Pembo 1996Pembo 19961,087,449
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 14:36
    FJMatlock said:Pembo 1996 said:Any free-to-play game post 2011, i.e Happy Wars, Spartacus Legends, Ascend: Hand of Kul, World of Tanks, Airmech Arena, Warface. I should have learnt my lesson after the first oneWhat's wrong with Spartacus Legends? Outside of the long annoying grind to fame level 50 the rest of the list is decent enough.Very true, that's what I was on about, just that one achievement. Personally, I thought it was a poor game after the first 5 fights. I know it was supposed to be bad achievement lists, but the ridiculous grind in each of these games for one specific achievement just ruins them
    Come On, Blue Falcon
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 23 March 15 at 14:58
    thunderkiss92 said:Really want to play Perfect Dark Zero, but now I'm a little discouraged. That's a lot of grinding. I don't mind boosting games, but that's a little too much I think. I'll probably still play it, at the cost of my completion percentage. Ah well, you win some you lose (or completely ignore) some.If you were/are a fan of the OG Perfect Dark (for the N64 and, now, XBLA), you're prob better off NOT getting PDZ. It's one of those games that can be fun if you have a buddy to play with, but it is frustrating (with little to no multiplayer community, horrible achs, and ridiculously difficult campaign - on the higher difficulties).
  • Posted on 23 March 15 at 15:19
    Star Ocean: The Last Hope is terrible as well achievement-wise. Getting 10%/20%/... of all battle trophies, 100% of the weapons and items data, crafting 20%/40%/.. of all items, opening every single treasure chest in the game,... Congratulations to those who managed to do it.
  • Jamiereloaded23Jamiereloaded231,634,357
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 15:21
    Perfect Dark Zero was one of the first games I got for my xbox 360, purely because I loved the Nintendo 64 version......what a disappointing game, I'm glad they re-released the original on XBLA as it was so much better. Has there been a Top 5 best achievements list yet?? If not then I would suggest GRID 2 as having a pretty decent selection, didn't another achievement website have some input into naming them?? If so then T.A should definitely push to be involved with a game, that would be awesome.
  • PurplbaconPurplbacon520,431
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 15:25
    Glad I read this when I did, I was planning to get Pinball FX2 sometime soon. Yes, I did actually want it for the Pinball aspect of it but as we all here are; in the end the achievements earned within would reign supreme, and in this case reign in horrific disappointment.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.