Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Bad Achievement Lists

• PolyMoosPolyMoos434,831
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 15:26
    Great list!
  • Posted on 23 March 15 at 15:55
    F.E.A.R. had a rubbish cheevos list too, also suffering from being an early game in the age of Achievements.
  • WJS OsirisWJS Osiris682,386
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 16:04, Edited on 23 March 15 at 16:06 by WJS Osiris
    Nice list.. mine would be...

Any achievement list that has secret achieves that are not story related. Drives me crazy when i look at a list and there are more secrets then not.
    Im looking at you every jrpg ever...
  • spacedvest2spacedvest2753,548
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 16:06
    Some of these suggestions in the comments are off the mark. Including something like Oblivion or Diablo 3, these are not that bad compared to many other games. Also I hate it when someone says an achievement is "easy" even though it takes 100s of hours, like Seriously 3.0.
  • Posted on 23 March 15 at 16:08
    Great list! Most of these games I have avoided because the achievements.

Top 5 List idea - Worst 1 point achievements
    The new dashboard sux!
  • AckterAckter325,694
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 16:09, Edited on 23 March 15 at 16:09 by Ackter
    Diablo 3 was terrible for achievements.

To max it out you needed to play the game far, far more times than is even remotely reasonable.

A worse grind than Seriously 3.0.
  • spacedvest2spacedvest2753,548
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 16:14
    Ackter said:Diablo 3 was terrible for achievements.

To max it out you needed to play the game far, far more times than is even remotely reasonable.

Oh wow, you are insane or on drugs. Lol, no offense.
  • Posted on 23 March 15 at 16:25
    Completely agree with PinballFX2. I love pinball and 360, so was excited about that when it came out. But between the cost and achievement list, I will not go anywhere near that game...looks painful.

I would add too games with numerous MP achievements that require multiple people to start a game. Inversion is one that comes to mind. I believe, 6 people are required and a huge 100+ hour grind. After a few months finding enough people to fill the lobbies are tough on many games.
  • AckterAckter325,694
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 16:28, Edited on 23 March 15 at 16:29 by Ackter
    spacedvest2 said:Ackter said:Diablo 3 was terrible for achievements.

Why?

In order to get even the most basic achievements in Diablo 3 you basically had to complete the game four times. Then you needed to complete it a bunch more times to hit max level. Then you had to do the entire thing all over again on the hardest difficulty, which deletes your save if you die, for every single character in the game.

If that's not a godawful grind, I don't know what is. At least Gears was still fun.

It was basically hundreds of hours of replaying the same five hours of gameplay, over and over again.
  • Dancing RobDancing Rob150,615
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 16:55
    spacedvest2 said:Some of these suggestions in the comments are off the mark. Including something like Oblivion or Diablo 3, these are not that bad compared to many other games. Also I hate it when someone says an achievement is "easy" even though it takes 100s of hours, like Seriously 3.0.well, you're wrong!

Seriously 3.0 and other such grinds are incredibly easy.

All you have to do is sit in front of a TV running in and out of circles and waiting to be shot / waiting to shoot someone else for 100 hours or however long it is.

There is absolutely no skill involved beyond the ability to turn up on time for your boosting session.

That makes it easy. Very boring, and far too much of a waste of time for most to bother with, but easy.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 23 March 15 at 17:16
    Dancing Rob said:spacedvest2 said:Some of these suggestions in the comments are off the mark. Including something like Oblivion or Diablo 3, these are not that bad compared to many other games. Also I hate it when someone says an achievement is "easy" even though it takes 100s of hours, like Seriously 3.0.well, you're wrong!

Seriously 3.0 and other such grinds are incredibly easy.

All you have to do is sit in front of a TV running in and out of circles and waiting to be shot / waiting to shoot someone else for 100 hours or however long it is.

There is absolutely no skill involved beyond the ability to turn up on time for your boosting session.

That makes it easy. Very boring, and far too much of a waste of time for most to bother with, but easy.
    Said the guy who never did some of these grinds. facepalm ouch........... you guys really underrate these kinds of grinds.
    DMC4: 25 XBL WR's - 15 PSN WR's 1000/1000G completed in 30hrs.
  • Dancing RobDancing Rob150,615
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 17:22
    Of course I haven't done the grinds!

If I wanted to do a boring, repetitive task for 20 hours a week, I'd get a second job. That way, I'd have some extra money at the end of it, rather than an extra 50GS.
  • Tao LogosTao Logos666,943
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 17:28
    Dancing Rob said:Of course I haven't done the grinds!

If I wanted to do a boring, repetitive task for 20 hours a week, I'd get a second job. That way, I'd have some extra money at the end of it, rather than an extra 50GS.
    Good point
    laugh
  • Redd FiveRedd Five814,155
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 17:46
    Dancing Rob said:Of course I haven't done the grinds!

We have a winner!
  • PuckJunkiePuckJunkie643,687
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 17:49
    Kinky Mong said:South Park and Brothers really don't belong in this list.

The missable achievements in South Park really aren't a problem as it's a game that is fun to play through a second time anyway and is relatively short for an RPG.

As for Brothers, well what sort of tool would get almost all the way to the end and just stop because they pop the last achievement? Games are primarily meant to be fun and not just a way to watch a meaningless number inflate. Just play the last 15 minutes! ...
    I agree. I've only recently started South Park, but aside from the fact that it appears to just take some planning to make sure you hit the missables on your way through, it also automatically saves your game at every checkpoint. You can easily go back to any number of various checkpoints throughout your playthrough and do what it takes to finish them at that point. Only a couple of these achievements aren't obtainable in a few minutes using this method, and a couple of achievements doesn't make a bad list overall. Still, I do take the original point - achievement lists that force you to use a walkthrough constantly throughout the entire game or replay the game from scratch are the worst. RAGE before the DLC was a great example.

Brothers has a great achievement list. Look at it from the other perspective; achievement hunters obsessed with not missing any achievements on their first playthrough get to just sit down and enjoy the game for the last bit, no stress involved. It's a great way to finish up the game, and let's be honest - if it takes an achievement to get me to play the last fifteen minutes of your game, you didn't really do a very good job pulling me into the story.

I notice someone else put LIMBO in their worst achievement list section many posts back. To each their own. Great game, fine achievement list, and the only tough one is a lot easier than you think it is - and fun to get, IMO.
  • LonesquiffLonesquiff455,059
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 18:01
    i'm honestly surprised none of the EDF games were listed. I've been working through Insect Armageddon and it is by far the worst grind I have ever seen.

If there is one dishonorable mention game that should be noted it is Hellboy The Science of Evil since the content is actually on disk but was locked by the publisher and is inaccessible.
  • Posted on 23 March 15 at 18:14
    I had a lot of fun completing Pinball FX 2 on 360. Agreed, though, the X1 list is just wtf.
    I saw a girl crying while buying tampons. Must be going through a rough period in her life.
  • RekikssaRekikssa1,299,562
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 18:18
    My biggest issue is with online achievements and servers that can shut down. In my opinion, and I get it's my opinion only, you should never create an achievement where a server shutting down makes it unobtainable. There should be a way to either migrate to private or local matches or don't make them at all. Or even better, and not sure this is possible, but turn the servers back on maybe once a year.
  • KinkimonoKinkimono592,654
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 18:26
    Since when is there luck involved in Pinball FX2, sure you can be lucky and complete it faster but you never have bad luck, very predictable game once you learn how to play.
  • AnubsethAnubseth655,308
    Posted on 23 March 15 at 18:31, Edited on 23 March 15 at 18:33 by Anubseth
    Ackter said:spacedvest2 said:Ackter said:Diablo 3 was terrible for achievements.

Why?

In order to get even the most basic achievements in Diablo 3 you basically had to complete the game four times. Then you needed to complete it a bunch more times to hit max level. Then you had to do the entire thing all over again on the hardest difficulty, which deletes your save if you die, for every single character in the game.

If that's not a godawful grind, I don't know what is. At least Gears was still fun.

It was basically hundreds of hours of replaying the same five hours of gameplay, over and over again.
    C'mon, I have Diablo 3 in the PC and the softcore experience is dull and bland. Just get everything in dmg and go on. Who cares if you die? You'll respawn and continue on going. Hardcore requires planning and not running in the map. I can easily get any class to 70 in 10h, less for the shaman (don't know the name in english). It's not hard, just takes time. And planning.

While reading this list I remembered Dark Messiah: Might and Magic Elements.
    The game itself is not that good, and the achievements list shows that. Half of the achievements are story-based: just play the game. Then there are the missable ones, about collecting items. If you keep 300 saves you won't need to play the whole game, if you don't... And finally you have the MP achievements, which is a grind fest due to the long gone (or never existed) online community of the game. Although it seems similar to South Park in the sense that you have missable achievements, the jewel of the crown are MP ones. In the review of the game the author explains why the ratios are so high.

It took me 5 months to get the MP achievements (I was helping every other player get the cheevos, so no regrets in there!). Why? Why they do things like that?
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.