Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Retail DLC Roundup: January 31st, 2012

  • Fadi kunFadi kun390,184
    Posted on 01 February 12 at 00:10
    Undergarments!! Sold!
  • Posted on 01 February 12 at 01:53
    Dead Island+No achievements=stupid
  • Posted on 01 February 12 at 01:58
    Seeing as how the Dead Island story was not one of its strong points, I can't really see myself getting the DLC now. Assumedly bad story (until I hear otherwise) and no achievements means my points will be better spent on Bastion this week.
  • WickedDeathWickedDeath505,582
    Posted on 01 February 12 at 02:17
    Dead Island was and still is plagued with more than zombies. I just finished the game and played hell to do it because of all the problems the game has even after 2-3 patches.

    To release DLC without achievements is crazy. Guess I saved 800 MS points. even discounted it's still a no buy. Guess they need to learn a lesson the hard way.
  • justinman114justinman114184,748
    Posted on 01 February 12 at 03:28
    Cellar Attic said:
    So there are no new achievements for Dead Island? Wack. I'll take a pass then.
    EXACTLY. Honestly, don't they know by now that achievements will make them more money?
  • Posted on 01 February 12 at 04:36, Edited on 01 February 12 at 04:41 by Grimslinger19
    justinman114 said:
    Cellar Attic said:
    So there are no new achievements for Dead Island? Wack. I'll take a pass then.
    EXACTLY. Honestly, don't they know by now that achievements will make them more money?
    And isn't that just a little sad?

    YES, I do realize that i'm on a Achievement site. And yes, I do like getting achievements. But jesus christ people, do achievements mean so much that if a game that was total shit by a lot of people's claim here, suddenly it's more attractive because it has achievements? And then you complain at how greedy developers are...... The hell.
    I'm not as random as you think I salad
  • spletchiespletchie604,646
    Posted on 01 February 12 at 05:24
    James48025 said:
    justinman114 said:
    Cellar Attic said:
    So there are no new achievements for Dead Island? Wack. I'll take a pass then.
    EXACTLY. Honestly, don't they know by now that achievements will make them more money?
    And isn't that just a little sad?

    YES, I do realize that i'm on a Achievement site. And yes, I do like getting achievements. But jesus christ people, do achievements mean so much that if a game that was total shit by a lot of people's claim here, suddenly it's more attractive because it has achievements? And then you complain at how greedy developers are...... The hell.
    Well, speaking for myself, I said in my previous post that I was not a "huge fan of the game" (which doesn't equal "total shit" in my book). So, yes, for a game that I'm indifferent towards, achievements would be the deciding factor in if I pick up it's DLC or not.

    However, if a game I enjoyed (like say, Arkham City or Dead Space 2) came out with some single-player campaign DLC, I'd snap those up in a heartbeat, even if they didn't have achievements - because I'd love to play some more story-based stuff in those two games.

    Dead Island on the other hand didn't strike such a chord with me, so it needs to offer me something more if they want me to plunk down my cash for more of it (especially at the price of an average XBLA game) so the promise of more achievements is something that would've definitely sweetened the deal. It's not about something that is "total shit" being more attractive with achievements, but rather (at least for me) it's about something that is decidedly average getting another tick in the "Pros" column because it has achievements. Since this DLC doesn't have them, it's a tick in the "Cons" column instead, and that makes it a no-sale for me.
  • Posted on 01 February 12 at 06:11
    Maybe the new Dead Island DLC doesn't have achievements linked to it because it's a single player campaign, and instead of forcing those who like the multiplayer aspect of it to buy a single player add on just for achievements' purposes, they allowed those who are true fans to go for it and those who do not want to continue the experience keep to themselves. I will be buying the add on, just not at the moment - I would rather focus my points on other things at the moment and (I hate to say it) but the lack of achievements doesn't make the DLC an immediate purchase, but I will not disregard the entire content.

    I pre-ordered Dead Island because it looked fun (which it was since I may be the only person who never had terrible game-destroying glitches) and I wanted to support a brand new game that didn't have "Halo" or "Gears" in the title.

    I wish more companies thought this way. I can't believe these ridiculous map-pack achievements for the latest installment of Assasin's Creed. At least the Call of Duty and Battlefield packs add on to the main focus of the game.
  • Posted on 01 February 12 at 07:23
    I enjoyed the game as well and didn't have any crashes.

    @ spletchie, I can understand where you're coming from. I didn't just mean this game specifically with my argument about DLC achievements. And, I mean people are entitled to their quirks and likes and dislikes. I just do not personally understand the methodology of being upset about DLC with achievements for a game and at the same time being upset when there are no achievements. I think the achievement system is a good thing, but I also think that sometimes that is what makes us decide whether a game is good or not anymore and I don't find that fair-and I do count myself among this number. I can't play DMC4 because the achievements are ball bustingly hard for me since I suck at button mashers, and I find that sad for myself because it is a pretty game and has a good story.
    I'm not as random as you think I salad
  • Phil0s0pherPhil0s0pher489,249
    Posted on 01 February 12 at 10:39
    First no achievements for Warhammer Space Marine Dreadnought DLC and now no achievements for Dead Island? Are you kidding me? NO ACHIEVEMENTS MEANS NO PURCHASE FOR ME (even if i like the game very much)!!!
  • Posted on 01 February 12 at 12:47
    I would buy DLC for a game without achievements but in this case I don't like Dead Island Singleplayer enough to want a whole campaign being solo. Very happy to see no achievement DLC for Glitch Island. However Techland lost an amazing amount of sales. Probably not enough to hurt the company but enough for them to wonder why it only sold so few.
  • PostmortimusPostmortimus335,028
    Posted on 01 February 12 at 15:02
    I am shocked with the amount of crying babies about a single achievementless DLC. Do any of the whiny babies even play a game for fun anymore do you just spend $40-$60 to increase a meaningless number? I'm mean seriously!! Get your priorities straight. I love getting achievements and will do a lot to get some achievements but I swear I'm the only person who ONLY plays the games I want and not games based on how much gamerscore I can obtain. Screw gamer score. It doesn't give you anything. Hell even this website was made because gamerscore is meaningless. They created their own skill based score and HOLY SHIT this website sometimes rewards you too.
    I'll get the DLC because it seems fun, not because I can increase my gamerscore by 100-250 points. And if it comes with achievements, then cool. If the game was just ok for some then yeah maybe achievements could be a deal breaker on a purchase, that's a legitimate reason, but purchasing DLC based solely on increasing gamerscore is just childish. Get a game and/or DLC based on the games merits, not based on a meaningless number that doesn't reward you with anything.
  • WitchblaideWitchblaide195,762
    Posted on 01 February 12 at 15:04
    No new achievements for Dead island, ill spend my time on games that need achievements unlocking
    Witchblaide
  • WitchblaideWitchblaide195,762
    Posted on 01 February 12 at 15:06
    Postmortimus said:
    I am shocked with the amount of crying babies about a single achievementless DLC. Do any of the whiny babies even play a game for fun anymore do you just spend $40-$60 to increase a meaningless number? I'm mean seriously!! Get your priorities straight. I love getting achievements and will do a lot to get some achievements but I swear I'm the only person who ONLY plays the games I want and not games based on how much gamerscore I can obtain. Screw gamer score. It doesn't give you anything. Hell even this website was made because gamerscore is meaningless. They created their own skill based score and HOLY SHIT this website sometimes rewards you too.
    I'll get the DLC because it seems fun, not because I can increase my gamerscore by 100-250 points. And if it comes with achievements, then cool. If the game was just ok for some then yeah maybe achievements could be a deal breaker on a purchase, that's a legitimate reason, but purchasing DLC based solely on increasing gamerscore is just childish. Get a game and/or DLC based on the games merits, not based on a meaningless number that doesn't reward you with anything.
    mind your manners not everyone has the same opions and views that you do.
    Witchblaide
  • PostmortimusPostmortimus335,028
    Posted on 01 February 12 at 15:07
    Not to mention, doesn't your actions in the Dead Island DLC go towards some of the other achievements? That is if they haven't been obtained already?
  • PostmortimusPostmortimus335,028
    Posted on 01 February 12 at 15:12
    Witchblaide said:
    Postmortimus said:
    I am shocked with the amount of crying babies about a single achievementless DLC. Do any of the whiny babies even play a game for fun anymore do you just spend $40-$60 to increase a meaningless number? I'm mean seriously!! Get your priorities straight. I love getting achievements and will do a lot to get some achievements but I swear I'm the only person who ONLY plays the games I want and not games based on how much gamerscore I can obtain. Screw gamer score. It doesn't give you anything. Hell even this website was made because gamerscore is meaningless. They created their own skill based score and HOLY SHIT this website sometimes rewards you too.
    I'll get the DLC because it seems fun, not because I can increase my gamerscore by 100-250 points. And if it comes with achievements, then cool. If the game was just ok for some then yeah maybe achievements could be a deal breaker on a purchase, that's a legitimate reason, but purchasing DLC based solely on increasing gamerscore is just childish. Get a game and/or DLC based on the games merits, not based on a meaningless number that doesn't reward you with anything.
    mind your manners not everyone has the same opions and views that you do.
    Yeah and that is my opinion and view. I have the same right that all these people complaining about this to complain about them. I don't see any need to "mind my manners" over everyone insulting the developers, calling them stupid and not knowing what they're doing. You should be telling this to everyone, not just me. I respect your opinion though and I don't see any reason to insult you on telling me what to do over the internet.
  • Posted on 01 February 12 at 19:52
    Nothing for me this week. I wonder if that FF13-2 dlc weapon is any good
  • wolfzero01wolfzero01375,722
    Posted on 01 February 12 at 23:52, Edited on 01 February 12 at 23:52 by wolfzero01
    sucks that the Ryder White DLC doesn't have achievements, I'll probably pick it up when its a Deal of the Week as it looks pretty interesting,
  • Posted on 07 February 12 at 20:27
    well although I was mind boggled trying to figure out why i dl'd the ryder white & no achievements were added... so i had o search to find out why. (note: I downloaded it the second it hit the market place)
    I do find it fukin crazy that there were no achievements in such a long 800 MSP DLC (took me like 5 hrs to beat), but.. I was very happy with my purchase, although the story may not have been the greatest.. the story in ryder white was great IMHO and well worth $10..
    Skip the mc donalds and get this.. you will enjoy it.

    FYI.. You will be a lvl 15 throughout it and all weapons lvl 15 plus no skills tree.
    raptr.com/WhiteRanger75
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.