Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Magic: The Gathering - DotP 2014 Screenshots

• Posted on 08 May 13 at 11:48
    Vr English said:
    The Globalizer said:
    I understood none of this article.
    I'm the same and I have played the last one. I'd be inclined to play it if the games loading times weren't so nuts ...
    I played all three and I don't understand either of the two topics...
    Can't someone please explain what "silver" cards actually do, apart from having silver in their name?

Even worse I have no idea what the sealed decks are about. When they say "open booster packs and build decks", does that mean you can build your deck from the ground up now, rather than just adding and removing from a set pool? Or are the booster packs just an alternative form of the 30/40 additional cards you unlock, which along with the base deck any number of cards can be removed (as long as you have at least 60).
    What is in a booster pack? Is it 11 cards including one rare? Or 14, judging by the picture? Are they mono packs, and each mono set has 84 cards, or are there 84 different booster cards overall? How do you get booster packs? If the icons in the picture are like the deck unlocks in previous campaigns, I guess you get three, but then are they re-playable for new packs?

I have no idea. The amount of information I got out of this article is that there will be a booster pack system and silvers are apparently Marmite.
    =Semper Fi=
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 08 May 13 at 12:03
    Great stuff.
  • ShinnizleShinnizle1,779,491
    Posted on 08 May 13 at 12:23
    PrinceRules64 said:
    I played all three and I don't understand either of the two topics...
    Can't someone please explain what "silver" cards actually do, apart from having silver in their name?
    It's a creature type. As far as I know, they just boost each other off. They all have some sort of effect that effects all Slivers.

i.e. All Sliver creatures have double strike.
    i.e. All Slivers have "When this permanent enters the battlefield, destroy target artifact or enchantment."
  • J0tar0KjoJ0tar0Kjo120,208
    Posted on 08 May 13 at 13:29
    will new game modes be free?
    or am i supposed to pay for boosters and sealed decks?
  • Gh9stGh9st272,850
    Posted on 08 May 13 at 13:41
    As always, day one purchase. Though I hated Slivers enough in real life, gonna be horrible to play against them online, unless this booster pack system allows more tailoring for playing against the Slivers...
  • KwRIOTKwRIOT93,124
    Posted on 08 May 13 at 13:54, Edited on 09 May 13 at 00:34 by KwRIOT
    For people wondering what Slivers are, they are a creature type just like Soldiers, Illusions, Goblins, etc. Slivers are powerful together since 95% of them grant abilities to all slivers (including themselves).

For example, "Muscle Sliver" gives all slivers +1/+1. Having two of them on the battlefield gives all slivers a combined +2/+2. Throw in a "Heart Sliver" and now all slivers have haste as well.

I don't recognize any of the slivers named in the article so I'm guessing they're English translations of some other language. OR, the possibility that they're making brand-new slivers. Yay.

In paper Magic, sealed play typically means players are given 6 booster packs, each with 14 nonbasic land cards in them, and using that pool of cards build a minimum-40 card deck to play with. Your basic lands are provided by the venue during deck construction so you don't have to worry about getting lands in your boosters.

Judging by the article, Sealed Play here is pretty much the same. You build your deck from 6 boosters (84 cards). It looks like you can get additional boosters after the first, third, and fifth opponent and can use those cards to improve your deck as you progress.

"The PvE experience includes a six-deck ladder where players take on mono-colored Sealed decks each corresponding with a particular Planeswalker...."
    This to me sounds like your card pool will have all five colors whereas the A.I.'s card pool will only have one.

Hope this helps.
  • Posted on 08 May 13 at 14:52
    Shinnizle said:
    It's a creature type. As far as I know, they just boost each other off. They all have some sort of effect that affects all Slivers.
    Kind of like those goblins that give +1/+1 to each other goblin you control, or the elves in 2012 that boosted EVERY elf? Those were awesome. I think I'll like these 'silvers'. Thanks for your reply.KwRIOT said:
    Hope this helps.
    It helps a lot you know, thank you very much. It seems like their bonuses will escalate more sharply than the goblins, but MTG/DotP has always been surprisingly balanced and nuanced so I'm sure they'll endeavour to give it its pros and cons. After all, one of the positives of the set decks in the game compared to real decks is they can better control the cons, such as lack of spells or shortage of low-mana creatures.
    And the sealed decks... wow... that's a pretty dramatic idea, eh? (Have you played in one of those events yourself?) I guess the design is it's not so much about quality of deck as the player's ability to be flexible and adapt. It seems a bit luck based, though... I wonder how it will work out in-game. Hopefully you can repeatedly launch sealed deck campaigns for a whole new experience (and can abandon ones where you really hate your cards). I guess it's out with the option of specific counter-decks for certain hard to beat bosses!

Again, thanks for your replies both, very helpful.
    =Semper Fi=
  • Posted on 08 May 13 at 15:05
    Look very good.
    Every series show new staff.
  • CormyreCormyre209,530
    Posted on 08 May 13 at 16:08
    PrinceRules64 said:
    Shinnizle said:
    It's a creature type. As far as I know, they just boost each other off. They all have some sort of effect that affects all Slivers.
    Kind of like those goblins that give +1/+1 to each other goblin you control, or the elves in 2012 that boosted EVERY elf? Those were awesome. I think I'll like these 'silvers'. Thanks for your reply.KwRIOT said:
    Hope this helps.
    It helps a lot you know, thank you very much. It seems like their bonuses will escalate more sharply than the goblins, but MTG/DotP has always been surprisingly balanced and nuanced so I'm sure they'll endeavour to give it its pros and cons. After all, one of the positives of the set decks in the game compared to real decks is they can better control the cons, such as lack of spells or shortage of low-mana creatures.
    And the sealed decks... wow... that's a pretty dramatic idea, eh? (Have you played in one of those events yourself?) I guess the design is it's not so much about quality of deck as the player's ability to be flexible and adapt. It seems a bit luck based, though... I wonder how it will work out in-game. Hopefully you can repeatedly launch sealed deck campaigns for a whole new experience (and can abandon ones where you really hate your cards). I guess it's out with the option of specific counter-decks for certain hard to beat bosses!

Again, thanks for your replies both, very helpful.
    They are far more evil than goblins though (which is why we won't let my gf play her deck) she gets one crystalline sliver on the board? all are untargetable -_- winged sliver? now they're all flying, quick sliver? now they can all be played instantly, crypt sliver? now they all have regen, two-headed sliver? now they all have to be blocked by two creatures each... oh and of course there's sliver legion that gives +1/+1 for all other slivers (similar to coat of arms). OH and lets throw a group of ward slivers in there to give slivers protection from chosen color...

Needless to say they can get very rapey very quickly (when we did allow her to play her sliver deck she had to change her sleeves from week to week because if we were playing open MP and noticed she was playing that deck she became an instant target; though I don't see the game having a sliver deck like that lol.
  • pezza888pezza888169,314
    Posted on 08 May 13 at 16:07
    Sealed play sounds amazing!!
    Can't wait!
  • Posted on 08 May 13 at 16:44
    KwRIOT said:
    In paper Magic, sealed play typically means players are given 6 booster packs, each with 14 nonbasic land cards in them, and using that pool of cards build a minimum-40 card deck to play with. Your nonbasic lands are provided by the venue during deck construction so you don't have to worry about getting lands in your boosters.

Hope this helps.
    I'm guessing you just typed this quickly, and meant to say something more like "each with 14 cards(not including basic lands), and using that pool of cards build a minimum of 40 card deck. You BASIC lands are provided by the venue."

just wanted to clarify for those who didnt know what you meant
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 08 May 13 at 16:45
    pfft my green deck will destroy the slivers
    Oh Republicans! You lost! Get over it! Wake up! You are a dying breed! 4 MORE YEARS!
  • Posted on 08 May 13 at 17:08
    Cormyre said:
    a) one crystalline sliver on the board? all are untargetable
    b) winged sliver? now they're all flying
    c) quick sliver? now they can all be played instantly
    d) crypt sliver? now they all have regen
    e) two-headed sliver? now they all have to be blocked by two creatures each
    f) sliver legion that gives +1/+1 for all other slivers (similar to coat of arms).
    g) a group of ward slivers in there to give slivers protection from chosen color...
    I'm thinking...
    a) Weak to 'destroy all creatures' (like in the aura deck of 2013) or blanket debuffs (like -1/-1). And it's not really offensive either, just defensive
    b) Lots of decks have flying or at least reach, but if it means most creatures are not flying by themselves it could actually be a weakness
    c) Don't really see the point in playing instantly? Sure, a few times with larger mana pools against a counter deck I use bait, but normally I just play my creatures straight up in the main phase. (Or are they not all creatures?)
    d) What's regen? (in the context of MTG) Oh now I remember, the ability where you can pay a mana to make a creature come back if it loses a battle that turn? Useful at times, but defensively or only as attrition, no substitute for power.
    e) That's very unusual... depending on the exact description it could be suicide, e.g. your 2/2s vs their 2/2s, you're just gonna lose all your cards
    f) very familiar, that one's in lots of decks (one of my favourite all-rounder cards in the goblin deck), it's practically a staple in same-type decks lol
    g) that could be awesome, of course, but it's less useful against a mixed deck (2 or even 3 colours in DotP) and much less useful in a 4player free-for-all (especially if they each have mixed!)

So obviously I haven't played against any silvers yet so you have more experience with them than me, but I'm hoping they'll be well balanced in the game as opposed to real decks where you have an almost limitless amount of possibilities! There'll probably only be one or two of the most chaotic cards per 60-100 card deck (if they decide to include the more troublesome ones at all- I don't know).
    Anyway thanks for your description, interesting to read your experiences. I haven't bought a DotP on release day since the first one (which some of you may remember was horrendously buggy!) but this discussion (and my current playing of 2013) makes me excited again!

p.s. connectmeplease that's the idea I had in my head so thanks for clarification. Kind of like how in DotP games the (basic) land cards are automatically assigned based on whatever else is in your deck.
    =Semper Fi=
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 08 May 13 at 19:13
    PrinceRules64 said:
    Cormyre said:
    f) sliver legion that gives +1/+1 for all other slivers (similar to coat of arms).
    g) a group of ward slivers in there to give slivers protection from chosen color...
    I'm thinking...
    a) Weak to 'destroy all creatures' (like in the aura deck of 2013) or blanket debuffs (like -1/-1). And it's not really offensive either, just defensive
    b) Lots of decks have flying or at least reach, but if it means most creatures are not flying by themselves it could actually be a weakness
    c) Don't really see the point in playing instantly? Sure, a few times with larger mana pools against a counter deck I use bait, but normally I just play my creatures straight up in the main phase. (Or are they not all creatures?)
    d) What's regen? (in the context of MTG) Oh now I remember, the ability where you can pay a mana to make a creature come back if it loses a battle that turn? Useful at times, but defensively or only as attrition, no substitute for power.
    e) That's very unusual... depending on the exact description it could be suicide, e.g. your 2/2s vs their 2/2s, you're just gonna lose all your cards
    f) very familiar, that one's in lots of decks (one of my favourite all-rounder cards in the goblin deck), it's practically a staple in same-type decks lol
    g) that could be awesome, of course, but it's less useful against a mixed deck (2 or even 3 colours in DotP) and much less useful in a 4player free-for-all (especially if they each have mixed!)

So obviously I haven't played against any silvers yet so you have more experience with them than me, but I'm hoping they'll be well balanced in the game as opposed to real decks where you have an almost limitless amount of possibilities! There'll probably only be one or two of the most chaotic cards per 60-100 card deck (if they decide to include the more troublesome ones at all- I don't know).
    Anyway thanks for your description, interesting to read your experiences. I haven't bought a DotP on release day since the first one (which some of you may remember was horrendously buggy!) but this discussion (and my current playing of 2013) makes me excited again!

p.s. connectmeplease that's the idea I had in my head so thanks for clarification. Kind of like how in DotP games the (basic) land cards are automatically assigned based on whatever else is in your deck.
    honestly though with green deck I feel like I will have the win before slivers even pop up, or at least multiples of them.

I have beat final boss dragon guy in just 5 turns with green deck before.
    Oh Republicans! You lost! Get over it! Wake up! You are a dying breed! 4 MORE YEARS!
  • KwRIOTKwRIOT93,124
    Posted on 09 May 13 at 01:01
    connectmeplease said:
    I'm guessing you just typed this quickly, and meant to say something more like "each with 14 cards(not including basic lands), and using that pool of cards build a minimum of 40 card deck. You BASIC lands are provided by the venue."

just wanted to clarify for those who didnt know what you meant
    Wow, what I had written was atrocious. Nice catch and thanks for the much clearer explanation.
  • ShinnizleShinnizle1,779,491
    Posted on 09 May 13 at 01:31
    And remember people... it's "Sliver", not "Silver".
  • Posted on 09 May 13 at 04:01
    my only thing is the sealed play can u play other ppl on live or just the ai if its just the ai thats kinda dumb
    [img]http://www.pokeplushies.com/images/adoptables/2395087.gif[/img] [url=http://www.pokeplushies.c
  • ITS ALivExITS ALivEx401,212
    Posted on 09 May 13 at 07:21
    Slivers again in MtG? Seeing one of those decks always made me want to pull out my LD or sligh decks.
  • Posted on 09 May 13 at 13:57
    Shinnizle said:
    And remember people... it's "Sliver", not "Silver".
    Oh! Haha. Not helped by the article getting it wrong not only in its first mention but also in the subheading. And even though the first poster mentioned it, it's not been corrected...
    In my defence, I never got confused. I just had the wrong word from start to finish! (I was imagining the colour as the thing they had in common)
    servant of oni said:
    my only thing is the sealed play can u play other ppl on live or just the ai if its just the ai thats kinda dumb
    Read The Article said:
    The addition of Sealed Play will allow players to open booster packs and build decks to play against the AI and other players.
    =Semper Fi=
  • Mr RamsesMr Ramses90,940
    Posted on 09 May 13 at 17:18
    PrinceRules64 said:
    Cormyre said:
    I'm thinking...
    wanted to throw some counters

c) they upside to playing a sliver instantly is the fact that you can now play it before someones spell takes effect and get that slivers buff so for instance say you play a black spell to 'destroy all creatures' to get rid of all those pesky untargetable slivers well all they have to do is play the one that has ward pick black and all of a sudden they keep all of their slivers and you just wasted your time

e) while generally slivers can be weak a good sliver deck gets them buffed up in no time so 2/2 slivers are usually only found at the start of matches when none of the buffs have taken place yet but lets say for this scenario the sliver being blocked is 2/2 sure you will kill it with both monsters blocking it but that is an extra monster not blocking another one of the sliver cards attacking so the point of this buff is weaken your deffence buy having you force ably throw more of your cards at less monsters

g) and yes while this would seem weak against a mixed deck there is generally never one of the ward slivers in a deck meaning if lucky a good sliver deck will be warded against more then one color
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.