Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Fez Patch Back Online With No Save Fix Coming

• Posted on 21 July 12 at 14:06Permalink
    I agree with everything with LP said. Not only is Phil a complete asshat, but he's also a hypocrite. Before releasing Fez for the 360, he dissed PC gamers. And what do you know? He's preferring that he released on Steam.
  • Posted on 21 July 12 at 14:08, Edited on 21 July 12 at 14:12 by Dreakon1313Permalink
    Tried the trial, actually a pretty cool game. Might be worth the 800msp once I get through some of this backlog.

Instead of getting all uppity about it, why don't people just play games because they're good? Who cares what this guy thinks. Unlike musicians, these developers don't have live shows (unless you actually go to the conventions and expos I guess, but I'd say those are considerably less common than concerts). The vast majority of you aren't interacting with him personally in any way, shape or form.

Quite frankly, not listening to good music based on principle is dumb as well.

The market is just so oversaturated, people will find any reason to not play a game lol.
    But if the silence takes you, then I hope it takes me too.
  • Posted on 21 July 12 at 15:29Permalink
    Arron114 said:
    Wow this article is like groundhog day. Wheres Bill Murrey?
    At least get his name right! It's Bill Murray!
  • Posted on 21 July 12 at 15:34Permalink
    I refuse to beleive his statistic of "less than 1%" i also don't beleive the figure of $40K for a patch. Sounds to me like he's underestimating the number of people affected to play down how bad the problem is, and also overestimating the cost of the patch to make it seems like it would bankrupt him. He shouldn't have put his game out with bugs/fixes still in it, and if he doesn't like the way MS do business then don't play with the big boys in the playground. Criticising gamers is a good way to get massive ammounts of internet backlash, so is blaming your faults on a much larger more successful corporate entity. Seems to me the problem lies with the man himself and he just won't admit to his faults.
  • DontasciimeDontasciime281,959
    Posted on 21 July 12 at 17:04Permalink
    How about fix your game fully and properly. Then issue the patch and pay the money you dick.
  • AmymazyAmymazy533,948
    Posted on 21 July 12 at 17:20Permalink
    The first patch is FREE... Fish already had a chance to make things right.
    Microsoft even said they were willing to work out a deal to get the patch but he had to tantrum instead.
    He signed a contract with Microsoft, he knew the policies.
  • AnxsighetyAnxsighety1,238,636
    Posted on 21 July 12 at 17:51Permalink
    Yes, he knew the policies. And again, it's still not much more than him trying to fix an array of problems in situations he probably can't even recreate.

And now that people are reporting it the way they are, it's going to come down as Phil's fault again. It's a joke.

Anyone remember how Team Meat criticized Microsoft's practices and everyone backed them, but Phil can't get the same respect? I feel for the guy.
    Nothing is true - everything is permitted.
  • AnxsighetyAnxsighety1,238,636
    Posted on 21 July 12 at 17:53Permalink
    @Xonatron - Thanks for being the only person to agree. I can come off kind of the same way Phil can I guess, but you grasped my points. Appreciated.
    Nothing is true - everything is permitted.
  • RadiantViperRadiantViper785,542
    Posted on 21 July 12 at 18:36Permalink
    Dreakon1313 said:
    Tried the trial, actually a pretty cool game. Might be worth the 800msp once I get through some of this backlog.

Instead of getting all uppity about it, why don't people just play games because they're good? Who cares what this guy thinks. Unlike musicians, these developers don't have live shows (unless you actually go to the conventions and expos I guess, but I'd say those are considerably less common than concerts). The vast majority of you aren't interacting with him personally in any way, shape or form.

The market is just so oversaturated, people will find any reason to not play a game lol.
    Because I don't like the idea of (part) of my money going towards a person like this, or a company who makes a business decision like this. I choose not to buy a number of products based on the practices of the company, or high ranking employees, what have you.
  • Posted on 21 July 12 at 19:46, Edited on 21 July 12 at 19:59 by Dreakon1313Permalink
    RadiantViper said:
    Dreakon1313 said:

Because I don't like the idea of (part) of my money going towards a person like this, or a company who makes a business decision like this. I choose not to buy a number of products based on the practices of the company, or high ranking employees, what have you.
    If you like the game, what's the difference really?

Do you think people back in the day said "I'm not buying Track & Field for the Nintendo because some guy at Nintendo said that track and field are some of the weaker events at the olympics!" Of course not. It's just silly.

Who cares if he took digs at the PC and changed his tune when it came to Steam? Who cares what he thinks about anything. I guarantee every game you've ever bought has somehow paid the commission of people you may not like or agree with, whether it was the developer(s), Gamestop, some guy on eBay or Amazon... and so on.

Play games (or not) for fun, not because of the name branded on it.
  • Posted on 21 July 12 at 21:28Permalink
    RadiantViper said:
    Dreakon1313 said:

You must not buy much, because most companies make decisions based on whether it's more expensive to fix the problem or pay off the dead people's relatives. This game isn't causing death, destruction or mutilation. It's not even broken. Some people will have to start over. OMG.
  • RadiantViperRadiantViper785,542
    Posted on 21 July 12 at 22:12, Edited on 21 July 12 at 22:16 by RadiantViperPermalink
    Dreakon1313 said:

Do you think people back in the day said "I'm not buying Track & Field for the Nintendo because some guy at Nintendo said that track and field are some of the weaker events at the olympics!" Of course not. It's just silly.

Who cares if he took digs at the PC and changed his tune when it came to Steam? Who cares what he thinks about anything. I guarantee every game you've ever bought has somehow paid the commission of people you may not like or agree with, whether it was the developer(s), Gamestop, some guy on eBay or Amazon... and so on.

It's not silly at all (though your example is idiotic and doesn't compare whatsover to this situation). If you don't care where your money goes, feel free to give it to those who don't deserve it. I will actually think about how I spend my money instead of being ignorant.

And no shit I can't agree with every single person involved in making a game, that's ridiculously obvious. It doesn't mean I should just ignore those who make it public that they make business decisions, etc., I disagree with.
  • Posted on 21 July 12 at 22:38, Edited on 21 July 12 at 22:40 by Obsidian RockerPermalink
    Dreakon1313 said:
    RadiantViper said:
    Dreakon1313 said:

You know, you're like the person being beaten in an abusive relationship. Fish goes around telling people, including YOU, that you are the "the worst fucking people" and you still give him money. When we try and tell you that's not how people should act you go "N-no, I-it's fine. The game's actually really good". Have a fucking spine, instead of treating games like your crack. "Gotta have it!". At the end of the day, buying his game is putting money in HIS pocket. It's paying him for acting like a jackass. Not wanting to do that is being a smart and informed consumer. If you don't care about his comments, fine, but don't try and blow smoke up my arse.
  • Posted on 21 July 12 at 23:26Permalink
    litepink said:
    I’d love to remain neutral on this, but can’t help myself:

I think Phil Fish (of Polytron) could be forgiven for not spending $40,000 on a patch that affects 1% of the player base. Doesn’t seem to make financial sense to me, even if there are repercussions pertaining to the sales of Fez and future titles. What I find damning is his whining and finger pointing about it. He agreed to have his product sold on Xbox LIVE Arcade, so he knew what he was getting into. To turn around and try and point fingers at Microsoft looks childish to me. He made a spectacular game that has some flaws – apologize and move on.

So Steam is so much better he says? He once said PC’s are “just for spreadsheets” facepalm. He also said modern Japanese games “just suck”, but when people said negative things about his game prior to release he said that handling the internet backlash was hard and that he doesn’t have “thick skin”. This coming from a guy who proclaimed that gamers are the “worst kind of people”.

Seems he can dish it but can’t take it, and apparently likes to point fingers at others for his own wrongdoing. Therefore, Phil Fish is giant toddler in my eyes. (I hope he doesn’t read this, he might not be able to take it). A very smart and talented egotistical toddler.
    Gotta agree with you 100% here litepink. The big baby knew exactly what he was getting into beforehand and now, he just wants to divert the blame from those poor 1 percenters onto Microsoft.
    Ha ha, Charade you are!
  • NawtyCawtyNawtyCawty528,257
    Posted on 21 July 12 at 23:47, Edited on 22 July 12 at 00:18 by NawtyCawtyPermalink
    I have no sympathy for these developers. If they made their games properly and not half arsed, half completed shite then they wouldnt have to pay the £40,000 to patch up their shoddy work now would they? And I remember him complaining that he didnt want to release it at a 'measly' 800 MSP. I'm just glad i didnt buy it, and now I never will.
  • Posted on 22 July 12 at 00:39Permalink
    i regret that i bought the game even though many ppl told me not to buy it because Phil Fish is a huge asshole.

well i had my lesson alright.
  • SpieludicaSpieludica38,648
    Posted on 22 July 12 at 03:16, Edited on 22 July 12 at 03:38 by SpieludicaPermalink
    If you hate Fish think of it as Alan Moore or Dave Sim where the creators can be asses but the creations great. Alan Moore is a lunatic but doesn't stop me from loving Watchmen (that would be insane).
    God I don't know how many bands and songs I love made by artists who're asses. Or how many paintings I like by artists who were asses. Or how many movies by people who are asses. Or products (ask the people who worked with Steve Jobs).
    If you're gonna avoid things made by people who piss you off you're gonna have a hard life. In that case I'd first make sure you're not giving bad companies your money, like EA and that have done actual wrong things like horrible labor practices as Adidas and Apple.
    But I agree with him that gamers are the worst kind of people :V (Well of course there are worse, but it's like when you say "pizza is the best food")

There's no way for him to look good in this no matter what he says, cause the issue is they're not gonna fix the patch.
    I think he still should come up with the money for it, even if it takes time, he should have been prepared and thought ahead (though I don't know if something changed from the moment of his deal with MS or other details of the internal workings of MS). Maybe he was only hoping to release the game? Or maybe he thought he'd be swimming in money by now?

Although the "being hard on indie games but being forgiving of Skyrim and other AAA titles" attitude going on here is completely backwards.
    Also the guy who coded Fez was... 1 guy. It was his first game. The development was insane and Fish like a true OCD was never satisfied and made him restart it several times (which is why it took so long!). Of course there was going to be bugs.

I still don't get why he went with XBLA only though. I do prefer playing games on a console, but it sounds like he really regrets it, heh.

I think I never downloaded any patch, is it optional? Haven't played the game in a while (or any games) and I never ever ran into any bug (I think I'm at around 140% in Fez).
    And had never read or heard of Fez before seeing it released on XBLA, and I just immediatly loved it. Gives me the same kind of joyful feeling and wonder I had playing games back in the day like DOS Prince of Persia, Ecco the Dolphin games, etc. Except better. Just having it on listening to it, or looking at it and thinking about its world is enjoyable.
  • Posted on 22 July 12 at 03:45, Edited on 22 July 12 at 04:08 by Dreakon1313Permalink
    Obsidian Rocker said:
    You know, you're like the person being beaten in an abusive relationship. Fish goes around telling people, including YOU, that you are the "the worst fucking people" and you still give him money. When we try and tell you that's not how people should act you go "N-no, I-it's fine. The game's actually really good". Have a fucking spine, instead of treating games like your crack. "Gotta have it!". At the end of the day, buying his game is putting money in HIS pocket. It's paying him for acting like a jackass. Not wanting to do that is being a smart and informed consumer. If you don't care about his comments, fine, but don't try and blow smoke up my arse.
    You do realize that you're buying a game, right? Not an evening out with Phil Fish? If you like a game, you pay for it, and enjoy it. If you pay for games because the developer has a nice smile and says "just the right thing" to you... then I guess I don't know what to say.

You really enjoy romanticizing the consumer/developer relationship. It's not even about good games or bad games anymore, it's all about how intimately you connect with the developer. Odd.
  • SpieludicaSpieludica38,648
    Posted on 22 July 12 at 03:55, Edited on 22 July 12 at 04:14 by SpieludicaPermalink
    Geniuses are often either jerks, crazy, misogynists, and horrible people or have other extreme or odd behavior anyway. I can appreciate a person's work separately from who they are just fine. Otherwise I'd never watch the Batman movies after the Instant Christian Bale website, lol. (it doesn't exist anymore? aww lol but anyway, you all heard his rant already)
    Even when the creator is hateful he still has brilliant ideas and put a lot of work into something. In most situations I can appreciate that.
    Each person can decide for themselves.
  • Posted on 22 July 12 at 04:18, Edited on 22 July 12 at 04:20 by Dreakon1313Permalink
    Spieludica said:
    Geniuses are often either jerks, crazy, misogynists, and horrible people or have other extreme or odd behavior anyway. I can appreciate a person's work separately from who they are just fine. Otherwise I'd never watch the Batman movies after the Instant Christian Bale website, lol. (it doesn't exist anymore? aww lol but anyway, you all heard his rant already)
    Even when the creator is hateful he still has brilliant ideas and put a lot of work into something. In most situations I can appreciate that.
    Don't mind the people on here. It's just one of those things where people feel the need to make a stand against something, but are too lazy or uninteresting to make it against someone/something that really deserves it.

So they go on forums comparing a $10 game purchase to abusive relationships because a guy that no one should care about was mean to them.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.