Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Heap of Windows Phone Titles Delisted

• wbswbs950,886
    Posted on 26 September 13 at 20:21, Edited on 26 September 13 at 20:24 by wbs
    Dancsi27 said:
    what you are gonna do when your account get banned or reset for X reason and you will lose all your purchased digital games and dlc? Are you gonna rebuy them with a new account? Are you willing to buy a game that you bought before just because MS and game cies release the game again because the developper changes its name (Fruit Ninja) or because this IAP with MSP vs local currency problem? First of all, games with IAP in them should be free from the beginning, that's the deal now with free to play games no? Paying 1$ for CD:SS then paying again 5-10$ for jewels in order to unlock everything in the game is not cool at all from MS. If a digital game is delisted or rerelased later and you have to buy again because MS cannot handle the damn licences and things related to that, people will stop paying for game. Games with glitched chievos not fixed by Gayloft and Glu because MS XBL certification process taking too long and the price too, HB who release the same FN with nicer graphics and some IAP and we have to buy it again, this is not the right business for me.

I like physical copies too, at least i have a proof that i bought something than i can use in the future even if the game is removed from Live/Store

Fire Hawk D said:
    Crandy said:
    I hate digital games. They have way too many restrictions associated with them and the publisher can take away your ability to access them whenever they want with no notice or refund to you. This is a perfect example and is unacceptable in my opinion.
    Then, don't support them. It's that simple. Personally, I wish we'd hurry and go all-digital. My phone and Windows 8 games already have. I'm going to go as-digital as I can with the One.
    More great arguements here not to mention the fact that they can price fix everything digital since there is no competition. Like how the COD games stay $60 on GOD when you could go on the internet and pick them up for less than half that price brand new. It makes it where the only people that can run a sale is MS and you will see games stay $60 for a lot longer. You already see that with GOD and it will be much worse if there are no physical copies. Another thing that really bothers me is that would be the death of the midnight release. It has become a ritual for me and my gf to get a good buzz a TGI Fridays right next to Gamestop while waiting for a game to come out. Waiting for MS to updload the game and downloaded it just kills a release for me especially since they can be so random about the times they release games. It just doesn't have the nostalgia of going to a midnight release. Digital games destroy some of my favorite things about gaming and it makes me sick to my stomach that some people are cheering this on like it is something good. Those people should just go to PC gaming and don't let the door hit you on the way out.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 26 September 13 at 20:32
    I'm done worrying about completion on my 360 now. Its not worth it what with GFWL closing down leaving a big chunk un-finished and now half my WP Library being de-listed. Its just going to be a collection and a mess around with mates and games.

I knew I should of moved to android when I got my new phone, but no I moved to WP8.

And I echo what's been said about digital. This is why discs will always be better, and why we just are not ready for a all digital world yet.
  • Oriole2682Oriole26823,223,185
    Posted on 26 September 13 at 21:24
    What happens with Zombies!!! DLC, do I have that if I have the game or am I screwed?
  • Dexter XBADexter XBA284,303
    Posted on 26 September 13 at 21:26, Edited on 26 September 13 at 21:26 by Dexter XBA
    Oriole2682 said:
    What happens with Zombies!!! DLC, do I have that if I have the game or am I screwed?
    Unfortunately we won't be able to get the DLC anymore, I've contacted the developers of the game:
    http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/1403/cpeb.png
  • Posted on 26 September 13 at 21:40
    Nice to know they're aware, but they're unfortunately correct in that Microsoft hasn't provided a solution.
  • Achilles8249Achilles8249741,543
    Posted on 26 September 13 at 21:41
    Im all for going digital as long as its done the right way, and to me this is not it. Giving some kind of notice about whats going on should be the least they could do for the customers.
  • CASS190684CASS190684246,103
    Posted on 26 September 13 at 22:04
    wbs 101 said:
    Dancsi27 said:
    what you are gonna do when your account get banned or reset for X reason and you will lose all your purchased digital games and dlc? Are you gonna rebuy them with a new account? Are you willing to buy a game that you bought before just because MS and game cies release the game again because the developper changes its name (Fruit Ninja) or because this IAP with MSP vs local currency problem? First of all, games with IAP in them should be free from
    the beginning, that's the deal now with free to play games no? Paying 1$ for CD:SS then paying again 5-10$ for jewels in order to unlock everything in the game is not cool at all from MS. If a digital game is delisted or rerelased later and you have to buy again because MS cannot handle the damn licences and things related to that, people will stop paying for game. Games with glitched chievos
    not fixed by Gayloft and Glu because MS XBL certification process taking too long and the price too, HB who release the same FN with nicer graphics and some IAP and we have to buy it again, this is not the right business for me.

I like physical copies too, at least i have a proof that i bought something than i can use in the future even if the game is removed from Live/Store

Fire Hawk D said:
    Crandy said:
    I hate digital games. They have way too many restrictions associated with them and the publisher can take away your ability to access them whenever they want with no notice or refund to you. This is a perfect example and is unacceptable in my opinion.
    Then, don't support them. It's that simple. Personally, I wish we'd hurry and go all-digital. My phone and Windows 8 games already have. I'm going to go as-digital as I can with the One.
    More great arguements here not to mention the fact that they can price fix everything digital since there is no competition. Like how the COD games stay $60 on GOD when you could go on the internet and pick them up for less than half that price brand new. It makes it where the only people that can run a sale is MS and you will see games stay $60 for a lot longer. You already see that with GOD and it will be much worse if there are no physical copies. Another thing that really bothers me is that would be the death of the midnight release. It has become a ritual for me and my gf to get a good buzz a TGI Fridays right next to Gamestop while waiting for a game to come out. Waiting for MS to updload the game and downloaded it just kills a release for me especially since they can be so random about the times they release games. It just doesn't have the nostalgia of going to a midnight release. Digital games destroy some of my favorite things about gaming and it makes me sick to my stomach that some people are cheering this on like it is something good. Those people should just go to PC gaming and don't let the door hit you on the way out.
    All of this basically sums up my feelings about digital too. Not to mention the fact it's just not practical either with such limited storage space, poor internet speeds, and limited data usage. I actually can't think of a single pro to digital.
    I like what I like and I don't what I don't.
  • Posted on 26 September 13 at 22:15
    borstal said:
    Is this why Contract Killer wont even load on my WP7 handset?
    This is a POS game that has never really worked since release day.
  • GR4V1G0R3GR4V1G0R3244,846
    Posted on 26 September 13 at 22:26
    Think im gonna try and hack my phone and steal the rest of the games, im done paying for things only for Ms to take away my access before I've finished them or unable to keep savegames if my phone needs fixing

All these delistings and the closure of gfwl, fuck MS.
  • wbswbs950,886
    Posted on 26 September 13 at 22:28, Edited on 26 September 13 at 22:30 by wbs
    To the person a few posts above me the only pro digital I have found is your games will never become scratched or break and someone can not steal your game collection. Someone broke in my house stole 50 games, my biggest TV, a lot of money, and my girlfriend's Gears of War special edition 360 with 400 or more arcade games downloaded to it and a ton of DLC. The bright side is I can download all that stuff again the downside I don't currently have an Xbox with enough memory to download all my stuff I could barely fit it all in the 320 GB hard drive. But even these benefits don't even come close to outweighing all the bad things.

EDIT: I now have hidden cameras to deal with thieves so I got that part covered.
  • boldfoxrdboldfoxrd398,083
    Posted on 26 September 13 at 22:29
    Vr English said:
    sm182 said:
    Lovely digital future we're heading for...

Chickens Can't Fly was one of the best games I've ever played on a phone. Sucks for people who missed it.
    Agreed. I got it last year and loved it. Not at 200 yet as getting gold is very hard but it bothers me now that if anything happens to the game (or phone), I'm screwed. It was the same with Angry Birds on WP7. Not being able to get the game ever again in that scenario is just unfair.

I just wonder what the real reason is behind this, and if more games are getting this treatment. I have plenty unfinished like Little Acorns and don't really wanna rush through.
    RD
  • DrMmmPieDrMmmPie359,976
    Posted on 26 September 13 at 22:35
    Could be an issue with in game purchases, I know bug village still "uses" the MS points when trying to buy stuff. I think monster burner is the same.
    Posted from TrueAchievements Mobile
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead609,056
    Posted on 26 September 13 at 23:01, Edited on 27 September 13 at 02:38 by HolyHalfDead
    CASS190684 said:
    All of this basically sums up my feelings about digital too. Not to mention the fact it's just not practical either with such limited storage space, poor internet speeds, and limited data usage. I actually can't think of a single pro to digital.
    People talk about whether they buy physical or digital as if they have any say in the matter. I know many people who used to like getting a physical manual with their game, but those went digital and nothing anyone said about it made a difference.

Only a small amount of local storage is required for digital games. You just start up the game, it downloads the bit you need and then downloads the rest in the background while you play. The local storage is just a cache to speed up the loading times of games you play frequently and so you can play offline when required. To expect to keep a copy of all your games on a local disc would be like expecting to be able to keep a copy of the internet on your PC. Internet data caps are a problem in some countries like mine, but they have been increasing steadily over the last couple of years.

When you go to a friends house for a party you may take a stack of CDs. When your kid goes they will just take some sort of portable storage device. It will be the same with games, you will bring a big bag of discs and your kids will just log on and play what they own. When the Xbox Two releases it won't have an optical drive and the days of phyisical games will be over (it's already happened with PCs).

Personally I don't know how I am going to cope when things go digital. It may be time to hang up my gloves and stop playing games altogether. I like collecting physical things that I have formed an emotional attachment with. I love my "big box" games that came on 5.25" floppy disks and everything that has come inbetween.

If GTA V was a digital only release, how many of you would not have bought it, honestly?

So here's one pro to digital, your collection can't be stolen if someone breaks in to your house!

Edit: Even if they steal your Xbox, when you get a replacement you just hit the transfer licence button and everything will stop working on the stolen Xbox if they connect it to the network (which would be pretty dumb since the S/N is registered to you).
  • wbswbs950,886
    Posted on 26 September 13 at 23:31
    HolyHa1fDead said:
    CASS190684 said:
    People talk about whether they buy physical or digital as if they have any say in the matter. I know many people who used to like getting a physical manual with their game, but those went digital and nothing anyone said about it made a difference.

Only a small amount of local storage is required for digital games. You just start up the game, it downloads the bit you need and then downloads the rest in the background while you play. The local storage is just a cache to speed up the loading times of games you play frequently and so you can play offline when required. To except to keep a copy of all your games on a local disc would be like expecting to be able to keep a copy of the internet on your PC. Internet data caps are a problem in some countries like mine, but they have been increasing steadily over the last couple of years.

When you go to a friends house for a party you may take a stack of CDs. When your kid goes they will just take some sort of portable storage device. It will be the same with games, you will bring a big bag of discs and your kids will just log on and play what they own. When the Xbox Two releases it won't have an optical drive and the days of phyisical games will be over (it's already happened with PCs).

Personally I don't know how I am going to cope when things go digital. It may be time to hang up my gloves and stop playing games altogether. I like collecting physical things that I have formed an emotial attachment to. I love my "big box" games that came on 5.25" floppy disks and everything that has come inbetween.

If GTA V was a digital only release, how many of you would not have bought it, honestly?

So here's one pro to digital, your collection can't be stolen if someone breaks in to your house!
    I agree with you that soon everything will go all digital and yeah I hate it. I don't know if I want to hang up my gloves so to speak but I will definetly play fewer games and probably join the ever increasing group of modders and hackers and find a way around being screwed. If they are too unfair with their pricing I might even start pirating games because they won't mean much to me anymore anyways and this is coming from a collectors point of view. I don't really feel like I have a collection when they are just downloads on a hard drive and I will refuse to pay $60 or even $50 for a downloaded game even for a AAA title. It already leaves a bad taste in my mouth that the new Killer Instinct is download only and I guess I will just have to bite the bullet on that one. But if that becomes the norm for all the expensive games I would rather be a pirate than support it. I am fine with Games on Demand because I still have a choice but if they take that choice away that is a different story.
  • Dancsi27Dancsi27185,131
    Posted on 26 September 13 at 23:34
    internet data caps is a big problem here too in Canada, beside 1-2 providers, most of them are limited to 30-60GB per months (download/upload combined). An average arcade game is 1-2GB (just check Spartacus Legends or WSOP or Wreckateer, Bloodforge is also over 1GB) and i didn't counted GoD which are at least 4-5GB each, if not more.

Also, the prices for GoD are ridiculous, I dunno how much is DR2 is on GoD (not when it was free last month but before all this free games for gold members promotion) but I bought the platinum edition from playasia for under 20$ last year. Paying 40-50$ for a GoD when you can buy the disc version for way less is a huge ripoff.

as for the games on discs that can be stolen if somebody broke in your house, if somebody has only digital downloads (all arcade games + GoD + DLC etc.) and the robber steal the whole Xbox console, it's not better than having disc version of your games. At least, you can hide your DVDs somewhere secure and save that. I agree that discs become damaged and scratched but if somebody take care of them, it shouldn't be the case.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 27 September 13 at 00:07
    heatlight said:
    Gacys Clown said:
    Musquito said:
    Gacys Clown said:
    Hydro Thunder Go has been delisted for awhile now, but I don't know if it was so the developers could fix the glitches in the game. It was glitching on me, so I thought I'd uninstall/install, but when I went to install it again, it wasn't on the marketplace.
    It is not delisted. It is a WP7-only, you can only buy/download it on a WP7 phone.
    Umm, I had it on this very WP 8 I'm writing this on...
    A few games made the transfer to WP8 when it came out, but were pulled shortly afterwards due to incompatibility issues. Hydro Thunder is one of them.
    That's how you give a good reply to someone instead of just shooting them down immediately. Thanks!toast
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 27 September 13 at 00:19, Edited on 27 September 13 at 00:30 by
    wbs 101 said:
    Dancsi27 said:
    what you are gonna do when your account get banned or reset for X reason and you will lose all your purchased digital games and dlc? Are you gonna rebuy them with a new account? Are you willing to buy a game that you bought before just because MS and game cies release the game again because the developper changes its name (Fruit Ninja) or because this IAP with MSP vs local currency problem? First of all, games with IAP in them should be free from the beginning, that's the deal now with free to play games no? Paying 1$ for CD:SS then paying again 5-10$ for jewels in order to unlock everything in the game is not cool at all from MS. If a digital game is delisted or rerelased later and you have to buy again because MS cannot handle the damn licences and things related to that, people will stop paying for game. Games with glitched chievos not fixed by Gayloft and Glu because MS XBL certification process taking too long and the price too, HB who release the same FN with nicer graphics and some IAP and we have to buy it again, this is not the right business for me.

Fire Hawk D said:
    Crandy said:
    Great post overall and the bolded part is something I've been saying for a long time now. Microsoft has had every chance known to man to make the prices of GoD games more competitive with...just about everywhere else, but refuse to do so. So after all of these years, why would ANYONE think that if they went all digital that this would change in the slightest? As I've said and you said, with no competition in this super-fantastic all digital worldroll, expect prices to remain high and remain higher for longer.
    The cons heavily outweigh the pros and have for quite sometime now.

Also, it seems odd for someone to applaud an all digital future in this thread, when this article is a great illustration of how quickly and easily your wonderful, all digital content can be taken from you, leaving you with no way of getting it back.
  • Posted on 27 September 13 at 00:37
    Monster Burner was an epic game, really enjoyed that one, shame to see it taken off. Wasn't that long ago it was just released too.
    The original DC's! Completing game's in an art.
  • SuPA JooSuPA Joo105,338
    Posted on 27 September 13 at 00:52
    I got Monster Burner when it was free but never played it. Bug Village was microtransaction city so I don' care. I kind of find it funny when they delist games cuz i have 2 Angry birds games because they delisted one then rereleased it.
  • marklynxmarklynx1,968,543
    Posted on 27 September 13 at 01:21
    Yikes!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.