Got some ideas about how to make the site better? Post them here

Filter Games By Encoding System

AuthorMessage
o DEEVIUS o
o DEEVIUS o
11 walkthroughs owned122 solutions7,456 posts
Last post: 21 Mar at 19:13
Posted on 02 June 15 at 17:28, Edited on 21 March 17 at 19:00 by o DEEVIUS o
There is currently no way, or no way I can find easily, to locate a list of games with certain encoding systems.

I tried to find specifically NTSC or NTSC-J games on TA and there is just no way to do it. You can't just use 'jp' etc 'cos it doesn't include games like Combat wings.

I saw a few forums of ppl trying to trade those games and I can look elsewhere on sites like Playasia, Amazon.co.jp, and Fromjapan.com etc, but that's not on TA, I want to compare ratios etc.

I'd like to be able to filter the site Games List by encoding system; PAL, NTSC, NTSC-J and Region Free games. It would be great if this basic information was displayed on every game page too.

This would be great for people who have multiple console types and people who want to know what they can and cannot play on certain systems.
I used to write Walkthroughs like you, then I took an arrow to the knee
QuickMythril
QuickMythril
321 completed games(Includes owned DLC)1,461 posts
Last post: 21 Feb at 20:20
Posted on 27 June 15 at 20:13, Edited on 27 June 15 at 20:24 by QuickMythril
personally i use these lists for region data, but i would love to see it included here. i also have my own database and would be willing to finalise it a bit, and submit it for use by TA.

http://5.39.25.104/verified.php

http://www.play-asia.com/games/xbox_360/games/14/71ej

http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=268

it's probably a bit more complicated than just the 3 regions and RF discs. every NTSC/J game excludes China, meaning a Chinese 360 could ONLY play RF games. there is technically a split for PAL between Euro and Aus, but i've never seen any game use only one or the other.

however some games are RF, some games are PAL/NTSCU/NTSCJ (excludes China). some games are PAL/J, PAL/U, or U/J as well. also there are games that have a PAL version and an NTSC version. so we would need to tag each game with the availability found on any version of the discs. that would be basically 7 region possibilities: RF, U-P-J, UP-UJ-PJ, UPJ. (not counting the very few weird games like Conan NTSC/J which excludes some other sub-region of the NTSC/J, and Quake 2 Bonus Disc, which is UPJ, but excludes Japan AND China.)

and any game can have any number of disc versions with any of the 7 possibilities. usually though it's not that crazy. and with filters you just include/exclude any game that has a U, P, J, or RF tag. though it would be important to know, for example, if there was two PAL releases where one was also NTSC/U or something, so you know to make sure you get the right one.
o DEEVIUS o
o DEEVIUS o
Posted on 28 June 15 at 14:16
^To be honest the only thing we'd need to know is what type of console plays the game.

On the game page we could simply tag the game with whatever console plays it - to help TA, this could be submitted information by the community.
We Get the Achievements We Deserve
Nomstuff
Nomstuff
TrueAchievements Reported Content Evaluator476,036 TrueAchievement Points4,576 posts
Last post: 20 Mar at 04:51
Posted on 28 June 15 at 15:00, Edited on 28 June 15 at 15:02 by Nomstuff
Search by region needed
Region Specific Games
QuickMythril
QuickMythril
Posted on 28 June 15 at 18:28
o DEEVIUS o said:^To be honest the only thing we'd need to know is what type of console plays the game.

On the game page we could simply tag the game with whatever console plays it - to help TA, this could be submitted information by the community.
but if we say that a game is region free, or that ANY console play it, and someone goes and buys the PAL only version, instead of the RF version, they are going to be disappointed. i feel like it wouldn't be much to add to the infobox something like: Regions: RF, PAL, NTSCU/PAL. that way people know what to look for.
o DEEVIUS o
o DEEVIUS o
Posted on 28 June 15 at 21:56
^ Yes, exactly, all we need is the game info panel to list all versions of the game.

If a game has multiple versions, for example PAL and NTSC-U it's obvious to the person wanting the game which one they want. You should always check the encoding system of a game when you buy it; if you go to Amazon.co.uk the games are genrally all PAL etc.

Sometimes you have games on TA that look like they are PAL / NTSC-U games or whatever and they should play on your console, but many won't and there is currently no indication what region they are.
zzUrbanSpaceman
Registered on 11 August 2009 (Year 2 - beta)TrueAchievements Pro user6,266 posts
Last post: 21 Mar at 03:08
Posted on 09 July 15 at 15:00
I initiated a project to start testing games, given I have all three regions of consoles. It's stalled for now, but given a push I'm sure it could get going again. Details here: 360 Regional Compatibility Project and in the related forums.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there is such a thing as a Chinese 360? There are some countries in that area that never got an official 360 release and as such they end up with a random batch of imported consoles (e.g. the region could be anything), and so typically only RF titles are guaranteed to work there - but that's a far cry from there being another dedicated region for those countries.
I always wanted you to go into space, man.
o DEEVIUS o
o DEEVIUS o
Posted on 09 July 15 at 17:33
^ Great idea - this would really kick start the implementation.

I always thought that Chinese games were just PAL - like Lies of Astaroth etc, but I'm only going from this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTSC-J#/media/File:PAL-NTSC-SECAM.svg
UK360 COMMANDO
Achievement Completion Percentage: 99.50% (Includes owned DLC) - 8 more achievements required to reach 99.6%TrueAchievement Ratio: 1.8378372 posts
Last post: 24 Sep 16 at 15:14
Posted on 09 July 15 at 18:25, Edited on 09 July 15 at 18:26 by UK360 COMMANDO
I have been saying the same thing for ages but my thread has now been locked roll

Search by region needed
http://www.trueachievements.com/leaderboard.aspx?leaderboardid=2772&findgamerid=86026
o DEEVIUS o
o DEEVIUS o
Posted on 09 July 15 at 19:07
^ It's the exact same idea, but I posted this 28 days before you that's all - there's no need in having multiple threads for the same ideas, they have enough trouble keeping track as it is.

OnT: This is awesome, but still needs a lot of work: http://goo.gl/jgXc8C - courtesy of zzUrbanSpaceman toast
UK360 COMMANDO
Achievement Completion Percentage: 99.50% (Includes owned DLC) - 8 more achievements required to reach 99.6%TrueAchievement Ratio: 1.8378372 posts
Posted on 09 July 15 at 19:37
o DEEVIUS o said:^ It's the exact same idea, but I posted this 28 days before you that's all - there's no need in having multiple threads for the same ideas, they have enough trouble keeping track as it is.

OnT: This is awesome, but still needs a lot of work: http://goo.gl/jgXc8C - courtesy of zzUrbanSpaceman toast
Er, my thread was started in February?? laugh

This does need adding though, I'll let you carry on from here as nobody listens to me cry
http://www.trueachievements.com/leaderboard.aspx?leaderboardid=2772&findgamerid=86026
zzUrbanSpaceman
Registered on 11 August 2009 (Year 2 - beta)TrueAchievements Pro user6,266 posts
Posted on 09 July 15 at 23:12, Edited on 09 July 15 at 23:18 by zzUrbanSpaceman
It was part of my plan to copy a lot of the info on compatibility from, say, Play Asia and import it into that spreadsheet too. I'd set the source to be Play Asia in those cases so we know they haven't been directly confirmed.

I'd like to start linking the games back to their pages here on TA too, but I didn't think of doing that until we'd already gotten several hundred entries. (There's also the issue that TA links change sometimes).

Edit: Cool, I have a workaround for the link changing issue (and potentially a way to make links a lot simpler). You can link to a game by it's TA gameid, so it's just a matter of working that out when you add a game (ironically this is simpler than working out the Xbox title ID).
o DEEVIUS o
o DEEVIUS o
Posted on 09 July 15 at 23:31
I know for a personal fact that much of the information on Playasia is incorrect, I've tested them myself and it's bullshit. It's also missing a helluva lot of games.

@UK360 Commando - Yes, sorry, I must've been lookin' at something else redface - Maybe something changed since then that makes the idea more plausible and they just wanted a fresher thread to continue it in IDK.

@Urban - Are you monitoring this: 360 Regional Compatibility Project ?

I can confirm quite a few PAL games that you don't already have.
zzUrbanSpaceman
Posted on 10 July 15 at 00:10
o DEEVIUS o said:I know for a personal fact that much of the information on Playasia is incorrect, I've tested them myself and it's bullshit. It's also missing a helluva lot of games.That's interesting, I hadn't found any mismatches on PA myself, but then again I hadn't really gone out of my way to test them. Maybe I can import the data but put some big warning signs over it to make it clear that it's not verified.

o DEEVIUS o said:@Urban - Are you monitoring this: 360 Regional Compatibility Project ?

I'm subscribed to that thread but oddly I didn't get a notification about it. I've responded there now. If we reboot the project there's some changes I'd like to make to simplify the process a bit going forward - in particular pre-populating the sheet.
UK360 COMMANDO
Posted on 10 July 15 at 13:35
o DEEVIUS o said:I know for a personal fact that much of the information on Playasia is incorrect, I've tested them myself and it's bullshit. It's also missing a helluva lot of games.

@UK360 Commando - Yes, sorry, I must've been lookin' at something else redface - Maybe something changed since then that makes the idea more plausible and they just wanted a fresher thread to continue it in IDK.

@Urban - Are you monitoring this: 360 Regional Compatibility Project ?

Ha no worries mate, I know exactly why it was done, not your fault at all wink
QuickMythril
QuickMythril
Posted on 14 July 15 at 17:18
zzUrbanSpaceman said:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there is such a thing as a Chinese 360?this may be true. every game and console's region code is stored as a 8 digit hexadecimal number (or 6 since first two digits are always 00). the first set of numbers is for PAL, then NTSC/J, then NTSC/U. for PAL, Europe is respresented by FE, AUS/NZ is 01, so together they make FF, which is why FF0000 is what PAL only games show as their region code. NTSC/J has 01 for Japan, 02 for China, and FC for "Other". NTSC/U apparently is just FF. so a RF game would be 00FFFFFF or FFFFFF.

most NTSC/J only games are 00FD00, which means they exclude China (01 + FC = FD, and FF - 02 = FD). i know of one that is 000100, so only Japan. and there are two games that have F9, which would be FF - 6. Japan is 1, China is 2, Something else is 4. so F9 excludes China and some other country.

now i'm not sure to what extent they actually used this system. as i've said i've never seen a PAL game split between EUR and AUS/NZ, but the consoles could still be coded as FE and 01. i imagine that's how they figured out the region codes to begin with. probably had less access to asian consoles, so they never figured out what that other 04 region code is.

as far as having "all 3" consoles. just taking a disc and trying it in each seems like such a low tech and inaccurate way to compile data. especially when there is a huge database already containing a majority of titles.
o DEEVIUS o
o DEEVIUS o
Posted on 14 July 15 at 18:25
^ Where are these codes displayed? And what database are you referring to?

Some of the info on PlayAsia is wrong.
zzUrbanSpaceman
Posted on 15 July 15 at 05:00
QuickMythril said:zzUrbanSpaceman said:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there is such a thing as a Chinese 360?this may be true. every game and console's region code is stored as a 8 digit hexadecimal number (or 6 since first two digits are always 00). the first set of numbers is for PAL, then NTSC/J, then NTSC/U. for PAL, Europe is respresented by FE, AUS/NZ is 01, so together they make FF, which is why FF0000 is what PAL only games show as their region code. NTSC/J has 01 for Japan, 02 for China, and FC for "Other". NTSC/U apparently is just FF. so a RF game would be 00FFFFFF or FFFFFF.

most NTSC/J only games are 00FD00, which means they exclude China (01 + FC = FD, and FF - 02 = FD). i know of one that is 000100, so only Japan. and there are two games that have F9, which would be FF - 6. Japan is 1, China is 2, Something else is 4. so F9 excludes China and some other country.

now i'm not sure to what extent they actually used this system. as i've said i've never seen a PAL game split between EUR and AUS/NZ, but the consoles could still be coded as FE and 01. i imagine that's how they figured out the region codes to begin with. probably had less access to asian consoles, so they never figured out what that other 04 region code is.

as far as having "all 3" consoles. just taking a disc and trying it in each seems like such a low tech and inaccurate way to compile data. especially when there is a huge database already containing a majority of titles.
Where is said database?

How can I view the region code on my existing discs? If it's not something that anyone can do (e.g. if you need a modified DVD drive to read the discs, which was the case when I was extracting data from game discs pre-HDD install days) then this info isn't useful for a regular person who's looking to buy a copy of a game - which is mostly where the info is targeted.

Chinese mainland never received an official Xbox 360 release ... except for Hong Kong, which is somewhat special. I wonder if the region restriction for China excludes Hong Kong?

Can you tell me those games that have those odd codes on them?
QuickMythril
QuickMythril
Posted on 15 July 15 at 06:20, Edited on 15 July 15 at 06:36 by QuickMythril
i am talking about the abgx360 database. http://5.39.25.104/verified.php

you need a sata to usb adapter that is designed for xbox 360 drives, but you can use an unmodified drive. this may not be something that any person can do, (technically anyone wanting to do it could), but the information gained this way definitely is still useful to everyone.

Conan (JP Ver) NTSC/J (excludes China and "Something") http://5.39.25.104/verified.php?f=xex_crc&q=5B38C444
Dance Dance Revolution Universe 2 NTSC/U & NTSC/J (excludes China and "Something") http://5.39.25.104/verified.php?f=xex_crc&q=F7BC18F6
Quake II (Quake 4 Bonus Disc) PAL & NTSC/U & NTSC/J (excludes Japan & China) http://5.39.25.104/verified.php?f=xex_crc&q=E1B8D703

Shin Sangoku Musou 4 Special NTSC/J (Japan Only) unverified by abgx360, but info is here: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=GaCgeLkX

every other game i know of is either RF, PAL, NTSC/U, NTSC/J (ex.China), PAL & NTSC/U, PAL & NTSC/J (ex.China), or NTSC/U & NTSC/J (ex.China). so there are basically 3 main regions of games, 3 sets of 2 regions, and all 3 which is RF. 7 categories. there may be other weird games, but there aren't many left that aren't in the database that i couldn't find myself. plus i never bothered looking into duplicates, or games from non-NTSC/U region that don't have stackable achievement sets.

EDIT: Not sure why they would design this system with China in mind, exclude them from any game that wasn't RF, then never release a Chinese 360. I would love to get a console from Hong Kong, or even South Korea or another NTSC/J country that might not be a Japanese console. I'm curious to check a AUS/NZ 360 also. I have a NTSC/J console, but never checked it's region. That involves wiring a device to dump the nand, but I could try to get a copy of SSM4Special and if it plays, then it's Japan.
zzUrbanSpaceman
Posted on 15 July 15 at 06:50
So, basically exactly the same as what I have in the spreadsheet, where there are three basic types, each of which can be yes/no. 3 binary digits, in other words, giving a total of 8 potential options, which is the same count as you're talking about (7 + 1 for region free == "all regions").

It's a nice database though, I might use it to pad out more information in mine.

I don't think that the Chinese exclusion is particularly noteworthy information given it doesn't have any practical purpose. What I'm more interested in know is whether there are (say) NTSC-J titles from Japan that won't work on a Korean 360.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.