Game Discussion: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

New Game to Duke Mania Achievement

• Posted on 10 March 14 at 12:06Permalink
    Hi,

So I missed

The Elder Scrolls IV: OblivionDuke Mania, Shivering IslesThe Duke Mania, Shivering Isles achievement in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion worth 46 pointsReached Duke of Mania Rank in the Court of Madness

when I originally played this game. Now every time I see my top games list on here I get annoyed I only have one missing achievement!

I no longer have a save that will allow me to get this achievement easily, so my question dear TAers is this:

How long [approximately] will it take from a starting a new game until I'm able to get this achievement?

Assuming I only do what's necessary to get to the achievement.

Also any general advise for making this quicker, a specific character build etc?

Basically if it's going to take hours and hours I'll probably just reside myself to never completing this game cry

Thanks!
  • DakotaThriceDakotaThrice298,126
    Posted on 10 March 14 at 14:27Permalink
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Shivering:Main_Quest

Start new character, escape jail, wait for quest notification (1-3 days game time).

From there you've only got half of the DLCs main questline to work through. The biggest issue for a new character will likely be the addiction quest. Knowing the game I can see this being doable in a few hours.
  • WeisGuy9WeisGuy9575,692
  • Mickey BurnsMickey Burns357,362
    Posted on 11 March 14 at 01:55Permalink
    I have always wondered this as well. Oblivion was one of the first games I played on Xbox 360 and I had played it prior to joining TA and knowing much about achievements, solutions, etc. Might have to look into this and give it a go.
    It just so happens that I'm an asshole in real life, too.
    Posted on 11 March 14 at 07:45Permalink
    WeisGuy9 said:
    There's also an excellent walthrough of the DLC here on the site. redface

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Walkthrough
    I knew the site had a walkthrough but didn't know if it would have an overview of the DLC questline or not and it was the overview I was more interested in than a full walkthrough it.

I'm sure there's nothing wrong with your walkthrough I've just always used UESP and knew they had what I was looking for.
    Posted on 11 March 14 at 08:46Permalink
    DakotaThrice said:
    WeisGuy9 said:
    There's also an excellent walthrough of the DLC here on the site. redface

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Walkthrough
    I knew the site had a walkthrough but didn't know if it would have an overview of the DLC questline or not and it was the overview I was more interested in than a full walkthrough it.

I'm sure there's nothing wrong with your walkthrough I've just always used UESP and knew they had what I was looking for.
    No worries, man. I don't use our walkthroughs much either. I usually use gamefaqs, to be honest. That was more of a shameless plug - LOL.
    CEO/GSSP: Not polite, patient, or politically correct.
  • Posted on 11 March 14 at 12:55Permalink
    Ok, I'm going to take DakotaThrice estimate of a few hours and refine it to 3 or 4, would people agree that sounds about right?

Also doesn't anyone have any advise for a character build?

My plan would be to avoid as many fights as I could, so I was thinking any running and speech skills would be good?

Basically I don't want to get stuck part way through because I don't have a high enough level or skill!

Thanks for all the links so far smile
    Posted on 11 March 14 at 15:08, Edited on 11 March 14 at 15:12 by DakotaThricePermalink
    Unlike other Elder Scrolls titles everything in Oblivion is levelled to the character and as such there shouldn't be anything thats particularly troublesome. Felldew, as I mentioned previously will likely be the biggest issue for a new character as addiction can leave you at upto -15 in all attributes. From what I remember the isles aren't very open either and running isnt always much of an option.

If you arent bothered about the game experience and just want the achievement to be done with id personally just go high strength/health and just smash your way through. I almost always play as excessively stealthy archer assassin's and am always surprised how much quicker I actually progress on my occasional brute force characters.
    Posted on 11 March 14 at 23:39Permalink
    That would be my recommendation as well if you are going to be using a new character. Just go with a fighter build and bull rush through it.
    CEO/GSSP: Not polite, patient, or politically correct.
  • Posted on 12 March 14 at 10:05Permalink
    I did this recently, just put the difficult on super easy and the build becomes irrelevant.

I think the running between locations probably took longer than the actual fighting as you will have no fast travel locations unlocked when you start the game. I would say 4 hours is probably optimistic as you have to do a few quests.
  • Posted on 13 March 14 at 09:21Permalink
    Ah ok, thanks for all the tips guys. I think this will probably remain incomplete for a little while longer, but at least I have a pretty good plan now.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.