Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Party Games

• Posted on 08 June 15 at 08:35
    Rock Band had to win.
    Also, You're In the Movies with the old Vision cam is also a laugh when you've had a few drinks.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 08 June 15 at 09:43
    OfficerBarbrady said:Har Miggido said:FoBoRawR said:Har Miggido said:Hope I never join a party with the writer of this article. Black ops 1/2 or any recent fifa game for me.How is either of these a party game. I may be wrong, but can't you only have 2 local players...?You are wrong in the sense that A party may consist of 2 minimum.

In other words, any party enabled game qualifies right?
    I'm not sure what you mean. A "party game" is a game designed for a bunch of friends to play together locally that's easy for anyone to pick up and play. So yes, games with maximum of 2 player local multiplayer would not be part of any party game lists.
    Who decides what type of games get played? My mates aren't the dancing/quizshow types. Taking turns on Bops keeps us amused.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 08 June 15 at 09:47
    Hurball said:FoBoRawR said:Har Miggido said:Hope I never join a party with the writer of this article. Black ops 1/2 or any recent fifa game for me.How is either of these a party game. I may be wrong, but can't you only have 2 local players...?Fifa can be 4 local players, and it can also have tournaments and cups created on it. Its our "go to" game for any gathering really. CoD, on the other hand, is hardly a party game.

Happy to see Castle Crashers get a mention in the article though, it's one of those games that seems to have been forgotten about, despite being great fun. One of the best Arcade releases IMO.
    Quite often I take my console out with me and we play on seperate tv's and consoles so does it qualify now lol. Thanks for at least agreeing on FIFA toast
  • Posted on 08 June 15 at 11:23
    wtf, no fusion frenzy?
    i rule
  • Boots OrionBoots Orion774,606
    Posted on 08 June 15 at 15:30
    I hate Castle Crashers and think I it is incredibly overrated. That said, it is very easy to pick up and play, and so it would be good for casual gamers. Then again, so would a game like FIFA or NHL.

Anyway, I completely agree with the rest of the list. I love it when the Kinect gets some love and Fruit Ninja Kinect is about as easy to figure out as it gets. I also approve of the Jackbox entry and of course Rockband.

Nice list!
  • HILL5IZEHILL5IZE1,333,390 1,333,390 GamerScore
    Posted on 08 June 15 at 15:55
    Fruit Ninja Kinect only on five?
  • LAFTALAFTA548,603
    Posted on 08 June 15 at 15:59
    Fuzion Frenzy 2!
    www.youtube.com/LAFTA
  • jordaUwUjordaUwU935,052
    Posted on 08 June 15 at 18:01
    Where's Hail to the Chimp? That should of at least made #1.
    Whats ratio?
  • Posted on 08 June 15 at 18:07, Edited on 08 June 15 at 19:03 by OfficerBarbrady
    Har Miggido said:OfficerBarbrady said:Har Miggido said:FoBoRawR said:Har Miggido said:Hope I never join a party with the writer of this article. Black ops 1/2 or any recent fifa game for me.How is either of these a party game. I may be wrong, but can't you only have 2 local players...?You are wrong in the sense that A party may consist of 2 minimum.

I'm not sure what you mean. A "party game" is a game designed for a bunch of friends to play together locally that's easy for anyone to pick up and play. So yes, games with maximum of 2 player local multiplayer would not be part of any party game lists.
    Who decides what type of games get played? My mates aren't the dancing/quizshow types. Taking turns on Bops keeps us amused.
    That's not the point. Of course absolutely any game can be played if people want to, but "party games" are games specifically designed for local multiplayer for a bunch of people who may not all be gamers that can easily be played by anyone there regardless of skill level. Those are the type of games that are referred to when coming up with lists of party games.
    S. A. W. F. T. SAWWWWWWFT
  • Posted on 08 June 15 at 18:17
    Regarding the whole FIFA or CoD thing - I can't comment on FIFA as I can't stand either football or team sports games, but I've had a couple of nights of 4 360's linked with CoD zombies and it is a fun night.

But there's no better game I've played than Rock Band. I've had many a drunken night with friends playing all the different variations of Rock Band.
    There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to survive.
  • Posted on 08 June 15 at 19:38
    Surprised that Halo 3 didnt make the list.

Custom games were amazing in that game, and one time I got a 16 person LAN thing going on that, one of the top gaming experiences I've ever had.
  • ZemidekZemidek305,728
    Posted on 08 June 15 at 20:39
    I still have friends over to play rockband games with a couple beers! toast
    Twitch.Tv/Zemidek
  • Posted on 08 June 15 at 23:48
    Yes, yep, yes, yep yep. Yep. All correct.
  • coipcoip241,411
    Posted on 09 June 15 at 01:03
    I disagree with most of that list. Kinect games should absolutely dominate this list, plus one brilliant indie game:
    1. Fruit Ninja Kinect 2 (not because it's the best on this list, although it is quite good, but because it's a game where anyone can jump in and start playing right away with no training, and it supports four players simultaneously).
    2. Dance Central Spotlight or Just Dance 2015 (dancing games are easy to pick up and always fun at parties)
    3. Kinect Sports Rivals (lots of variety make this a good option)
    4. Fantasia: Music Evolved (the best game on this this list and probably the best Kinect game ever made, but a little more challenging for beginners)
    5. #IDARB (absolute madness, four players at a time + other players can be involved by Tweeting hashbombs).
  • Posted on 09 June 15 at 01:27
    cancermatt2 said:Absolutely loved 1 vs. 100 and it deserves a reboot. Also a fan of Castle Crashers, YDKJ and Scene It? (but not Bright Lights! Big Screen!). So, where's the love for Viva Pinata: Party Animals? I kid, but I actually liked that game for some reason.

Great list!
    Agree but I don't think you could play all on one console could you???? My friends and I would schedule some of our work around the 1 vs. 100 events.
    AND THAT'S . . . . . THE REST OF THE STORY.
  • MaesenkoMaesenko314,210
    Posted on 09 June 15 at 04:37
    I do think this list isn't truly complete without some more Kinect games. I can convince some non-gamers to play if Kinect is involved, if only briefly. Rock Band and Guitar Hero are also up there. 4-player FPS and shmups also make my "list".

Also, sometimes I wonder if mentions of games like Truth or Lies aren't just a means of getting more people aware of the existence of the game? I can see it's clearly not a great game, but now I want to play it for the easy score.
    "You can't spell ignorant without IGN."
  • XystraXystra150,312
    Posted on 09 June 15 at 10:00
    I don't own ANY of the games on this list, and frankly, I don't really intend to (unless they're free). I did play 1 vs 100, but did so alone.
    When my friends all lived nearby, one of our top go-to games for gatherings of any size was Culdcept, first on the PS2, then on the 360.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 09 June 15 at 10:51
    OfficerBarbrady said:Har Miggido said:OfficerBarbrady said:Har Miggido said:FoBoRawR said:Har Miggido said:Hope I never join a party with the writer of this article. Black ops 1/2 or any recent fifa game for me.How is either of these a party game. I may be wrong, but can't you only have 2 local players...?You are wrong in the sense that A party may consist of 2 minimum.

That's not the point. Of course absolutely any game can be played if people want to, but "party games" are games specifically designed for local multiplayer for a bunch of people who may not all be gamers that can easily be played by anyone there regardless of skill level. Those are the type of games that are referred to when coming up with lists of party games.
    So party games playlist in bops2 is miss-titled?
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 09 June 15 at 10:53
    Minchy Munchkin said:Regarding the whole FIFA or CoD thing - I can't comment on FIFA as I can't stand either football or team sports games, but I've had a couple of nights of 4 360's linked with CoD zombies and it is a fun night.

But there's no better game I've played than Rock Band. I've had many a drunken night with friends playing all the different variations of Rock Band.
    At last, somebody who knows how to parteeeeeeeee wave
  • OjotangoOjotango210,447
    Posted on 09 June 15 at 10:59
    There are several games across varying platforms that I've played a lot with friends, starting way back when with Micro Machines on the PSOne. Fuzion Frenzy on the original Xbox was supreme, which made the terribleness of the second one even harder to swallow.

For Xbox360, though, the PDA Games that came as a mini game with Alien Hominid was just so damn good. Played it for many many hours... And never got bored of the music! (Which was actually upcycled to one of the tunes in Battleblock Theatre.)
    So much for pathos...
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.