Game Discussion: skate. Forum

Best skateboarding game?

AuthorMessage
Abylities
Abylities
Posted on 28 September 08 at 12:33
In my opinion, Skate blows all previous skating games out of the water; and I've been a die-hard Tony Hawk's fan since number 1.
Garbfink
Garbfink
Posted on 09 December 08 at 13:34
Sure does, the only game that woudl come close is Thrasher, Skate & Destroy, but even then it is a mile off what skate is.
Blackflame0729
Posted on 17 January 09 at 14:02
Beats the crap out of Tony Hawk. Lmfao
NABSQUAD
NABSQUAD
Posted on 01 March 09 at 19:48
i tried skate, but couldn't get used to the ankle-level camera. it bothered me too much
HuGh1212
HuGh1212
Posted on 08 March 09 at 17:49
I taught skate was brilliant!

I actually have only played skate2's demo but i'll be getting it soon :D

And THUG (one) was wayyyyyyy better than THUG2...

I just taught THUG2 was too weird or something!
Hughby-Dooby-Doo
TheBlackDragonX
Posted on 22 March 09 at 01:35, Edited on 22 March 09 at 01:35 by TheBlackDragonX
Nope not for me, cannot stand the skate series both games bore me to death. Will be looking forward to getting a 1000 on this to get it well out of the way. Although I am one of the minority as lots of people seem to love the Skate series. For me though THP8 is the only good skateboarding game on the 360 and the only one I enjoyed playing, wether it was the demo or full game.
x3h = xbox 360 hero
Abylities
Abylities
Posted on 22 March 09 at 09:04
Spades x3h said:
THP8 is the only good skateboarding game on the 360 and
This literally just blew my mind. A point of view I'll never comprehend.
http://is.gd/ojbp <- My goals
TheBlackDragonX
Posted on 22 March 09 at 09:37, Edited on 22 March 09 at 09:40 by TheBlackDragonX
Alexisonline said:
Spades x3h said:
THP8 is the only good skateboarding game on the 360 and
This literally just blew my mind. A point of view I'll never comprehend.
Its true, loved playing that game, the other skateboarding games just didnt cut it for me and were major disappointments. Like I said I am the minoroty though.
x3h = xbox 360 hero
Abylities
Abylities
Posted on 22 March 09 at 09:45, Edited on 22 March 09 at 09:45 by Abylities
Do you skateboard irl? I'm not saying this would taint your opinion of either, I'm just interested. We (as a group of friends that skateboard) used to play THPS 1-4 but stopped as it became less realistic and more based on story/Bam Margera. The Skate franchise got everyone back into skating as it's actually based on skateboarding, keeping in touch with realism and that joy of mastering tricks.

Edit: 1000th post smile
zigs00
zigs00
Posted on 22 March 09 at 11:27
i agree with what alex is saying.
You're totally entitled to your opinion Spades, and i'm definitely not trying to say you're wrong or anything, but you care expanding on that? explaining why you preferred it?
Albi the racist dragon.
TheBlackDragonX
Posted on 22 March 09 at 23:08, Edited on 22 March 09 at 23:11 by TheBlackDragonX
No I dont skateboard in real life, but have been a fan of TH since the old playstation days. One reason I like TH better then skate is beacause I am a lot better on TH then SKATE and its always more fun to play games your good at then games you are not so good at. Also I just like the fact in TH you can do all this crazy stuff, to me why do a simple kickflip when you can do a backflip indy 900. Backflip indy 900 looks a lot cooler and morefun the a kickflip to me.I also find the challenges and goals much more enjoyable to complete in TH. I am also not a fan of the analouge stick controls in SKATE and much prefer the more simplistic button pressing style in TH.

I can see why people enjoy skate its just not for me is all. There are things I dont like in TH mostly nail the trick, also I boycoted Proving ground since the demo was a major dissapointment, the change in the balance bars and making stupidly complicated nail the tricks irratated me. smile
x3h = xbox 360 hero
Abylities
Abylities
Posted on 22 March 09 at 23:16
That's fair enough, to each their own. I still have my copy of THPS 2 somewhere, one of my all-time favorite games smile

And yeah, my girlfriend bought Proving Grounds for me one day, so god-awful... especially compared to P8 which I found bearable.
TheBlackDragonX
Posted on 22 March 09 at 23:24
Yeah it was a carbon copy of THP8 except they changed the balance bars and made them crap and made nail the trick stupidly complicated. So I was like boycot this.
x3h = xbox 360 hero
TheCaffeineKid
Posted on 10 July 09 at 21:22
Skating games peaked with Tony Hawk 2 on the Dreamcast and it's been downhill since. ;)

Skate is pretty good though if you can get used to the controls. Maybe it's because I'm left handed but the flicking is very difficult for me to do accurately.
hatchywatchy
hatchywatchy
Posted on 03 August 09 at 13:36
THPS 2 was definately my favourite. When I frist started playing Skate a few days ago I couldnt get into it. But the more I play it the more fun it gets. It's definately the most realistic skateboard game i've played, and the graphics are awsome.

As TheBlackDragonX says, its definately not as elaborate as the TH series, and I agree it can be great fun blasting 4 flip tricks and 2 grabs in a single jump.

But for some reason the difficulty, and how modest Skate is, just really makes me enjoy playing.
hatchy, the Gweat and Tewwible
tractakid
tractakid
Posted on 27 August 09 at 14:15
I enjoyed THPG the most. (Please don't scream at me). Skate was my first 360 skater, which I hated at first but as I got more into it I enjoyed it more. I liked the innovative trick system but disliked the lack of combos, and the stupidly hard to execute manuals. I then got Proving Ground, and I really REALLY enjoyed the ease of doing kickflips, and combo making! At first I also disliked NTT, but once you understand the concept it is an excellent innovation and provides a non-button mashing alternative that is crucial to the highest combos. Another hugely satisfying thing in Proving Ground is the satisfaction you get from unlocking achievements such as 'Sick all skill goals', 'Sick all line goals' and 'Sick all hawk-man.' Tony has a much greater variety of goals, and although Classic goals have taken a step for the worse, there are lots of additional challenges to do instead. One of the things that really bothered me about skate is the lack of 'gaps'. One of the things I enjoyed doing in both the TH games I have is collecting all the gaps, these can let you discover new lines and new ways to skate. I am really upset at how the next TH game completely drops this formula and instead goes for the MOOSHUN YEAAAAH crowd. THPG>THP8 because THPG has more ways to skate, and a better environment.
Griefor
Griefor
Posted on 28 August 09 at 07:52
I liked THPS 2 best.

I just loved the whole setup, where you collect stuff from the different levels and then buy stat upgrades for your skater. I'm really a sucker for RPG elements, in any game.

Oh and it was the first skating game I played, as well. That probably helps.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 29 August 09 at 23:31
THUG because its one of the best game on the ps2. every skateboarding game after it sucked in till ea skate.
ERIKDOTCOM
ERIKDOTCOM
Posted on 01 October 09 at 19:48
Abylities said:
In my opinion, Skate blows all previous skating games out of the water; and I've been a die-hard Tony Hawk's fan since number 1.
Same with me.
mygamercard.net
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.