Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Three Windows Phone Games Delisted

• LavindatharLavindathar1,971,747
    Posted on 10 October 13 at 12:05
    already got Uno and AC, so ill survive....
  • Griff77Griff77215,199
    Posted on 10 October 13 at 12:11
    Dammit, I deleted Assassin's Creed this morning with a view to redownloading to fix an achievement that won't display correctly, now I guess I'm screwed. Not that I think playing it again would have worked seeing as I'd already unlocked all the achievements and it's just some bug stopping it from displaying correctly everywhere.
    Only got a WP recently and I can't beleive you can't redownload stuff that you've already paid for just because it's been delisted!
  • MathGuy42MathGuy42834,755
    Posted on 10 October 13 at 13:53
    Griff77 said:
    Dammit, I deleted Assassin's Creed this morning with a view to redownloading to fix an achievement that won't display correctly, now I guess I'm screwed. Not that I think playing it again would have worked seeing as I'd already unlocked all the achievements and it's just some bug stopping it from displaying correctly everywhere.
    Only got a WP recently and I can't beleive you can't redownload stuff that you've already paid for just because it's been delisted!
    Yes, it stinks that the WP Store doesn't work like the 360 Download History. I was able to redownload Galactic Reign (Windows), so it appears that Windows 8 works like the 360. Hopefully Xbox One will also allow downloading of delisted games. I think previously purchased GFWL games can be downloaded, but that's going away in July. It makes no sense that MS is pushing digital downloads, yet takes them away. It gives me pause on buying digital retail for X1.

I just tweeted XboxSupport, asking "If I buy an Xbox One game and it is delisted, can I still download it, like on 360? Or will it be like WP, gone forever?" They said, "We don't have any specific information available about that."

I see what you mean about the AC achievements. On xbox.com, it shows all 19 achievements unlocked, but says 18/19 unlocked and 185/200 points at the top of the list. That would annoy me greatly. I don't know a solution, but maybe another reader does.
  • BonxyBonxy193,975
    Posted on 10 October 13 at 16:16
    Crandy said:
    You can use Windows Phones for gaming without ever having a mobile provider. I personally hate Windows Phone OS so I bought a WP exclusively for gaming. You just need a WIFI connection to download your games and update your achievements on Xbox.com.
    I use my Windows Phone like this as well but it is a bit sad just buying one for achievements.
    http://bonxy.info
  • WeltallAYWeltallAY195,259
    Posted on 10 October 13 at 20:59
    Crandy said:
    You can use Windows Phones for gaming without ever having a mobile provider. I personally hate Windows Phone OS so I bought a WP exclusively for gaming. You just need a WIFI connection to download your games and update your achievements on Xbox.com.
    Was literally going to buy one for this sole purpose. Unfortunately AC was one of the games I wanted for the system.
  • WeltallAYWeltallAY195,259
    Posted on 10 October 13 at 21:00
    Bonxy said:
    Crandy said:
    I use my Windows Phone like this as well but it is a bit sad just buying one for achievements.
    I disagree, it can be likened to buying a portable game system. MS doesn't have a full fledged one so this set up works - achievements have become a selling point for many.
  • Griff77Griff77215,199
    Posted on 10 October 13 at 21:51
    MathGuy42 said:
    Griff77 said:

I see what you mean about the AC achievements. On xbox.com, it shows all 19 achievements unlocked, but says 18/19 unlocked and 185/200 points at the top of the list. That would annoy me greatly. I don't know a solution, but maybe another reader does.
    It's irritating to be sure but there doesn't appear to be any proper fixes for it so I'll just have to live with it. I made a thread on the Xbox support forums but I've read others on there with the same problem and tried all the suggestions so I don't expect to get a solution. Maybe it will just right itself one day.
  • BSquad56BSquad56313,319
    Posted on 11 October 13 at 02:15
    I deleted AC to make room for other downloads and now I'm fucked.
    ~Ruffus~
  • Linkx41Linkx4184,560
    Posted on 11 October 13 at 03:02
    WeltallAY said:
    Bonxy said:
    Crandy said:
    I disagree, it can be likened to buying a portable game system. MS doesn't have a full fledged one so this set up works - achievements have become a selling point for many.
    Not even close to a portable system, the software lineup for the most part sucks, there's no physical media, touch screen isn't great for every game(despite what people say SC: Conviction is absolute shit). And then we are entering into the fact that you don't even own the games you buy anyways. Vita/3DS are the only portable options as far as I'm concerned, and that's why Microsoft will never enter the handheld market, because Nintendo would blow them away. And WP controls such a shit piece of the market as it is, a selling point it is indeed not. Aside from Gamerscore enthusiasts, the general public just don't care. Microsoft just really just follow Sony and release their own selection of mobile games on other OS. M$ need to stop pretending that people care about WP and support their competition.Maybe if Microsoft would just focus on the Xbox One when it comes to gaming, the system would be in better shape then it is right now.
  • zzUrbanSpacemanzzUrbanSpaceman1,514,408
    Posted on 11 October 13 at 03:09, Edited on 11 October 13 at 03:09 by zzUrbanSpaceman
    Well, Microsoft did just buy Nokia, and mobile phone gaming is kind of a thing, regardless of your personal opinion on it. iOS has eaten into the Vita/3DS market quite heavily, and Microsoft of course wants a piece of that pie. Whether they'll succeed or not is another question, but the investment in Nokia alone would indicate that they intend to be in this space for some time to come.
    I fix stuff.
  • Linkx41Linkx4184,560
    Posted on 11 October 13 at 03:17
    zzUrbanSpaceman said:
    Well, Microsoft did just buy Nokia, and mobile phone gaming is kind of a thing, regardless of your personal opinion on it. iOS has eaten into the Vita/3DS market quite heavily, and Microsoft of course wants a piece of that pie. Whether they'll succeed or not is another question, but the investment in Nokia alone would indicate that they intend to be in this space for some time to come.
    Which is another thing I don't understand. They say that mobile gaming is hurting portable gaming, on the Vita maybe. But the 3DS is outselling the DS right now. So I can't see how it is hurting the market. Let's not forget the #1 target audience for mobile games: kids and casuals. Core gamers are still lining their pockets with Nintendo games.
    Posted on 11 October 13 at 03:20
    The key thing there is that the casual market is essentially an untapped source as far as handheld gaming goes. Core gamers are likely to play on *both* - e.g. they aren't exclusive.
    I fix stuff.
  • Linkx41Linkx4184,560
    Posted on 11 October 13 at 03:32
    Don't get me wrong, I have a WP7. I just can't get into a game on there as I could get into a game of Uncharted on Vita. That is of course my own opinion. Nintendo thought casual gamers were an untapped resource with the Wii, but then that quickly turned on them in a hurry. I just don't see what the big fuss is I guess.
    Posted on 11 October 13 at 03:39
    Lots of small transactions made at fairly recent intervals adds up to lots of money, e.g. a casual gamer plays one game for a little while, gets bored with it, buys another 99c game. Repeat. Multiply by the amount of phone users out there with game capable phones who want something to do while they're bored.

It's just a different market to mainstream games and works a bit differently, but where's there's money to be made companies will try to get involved. It doesn't mean the market for mainstream games will go away though, it's just that mainstream games are a fairly "mature" market that's reasonably well understood, although it's getting more and more expensive to make a big game these days so it's less appealing for a company to invest in. Small overhead casual games are a totally different ballgame.

I think there exists space for both markets to co-exist, and there's a fair amount of overlap. It will be interesting to watch the big players in these market spaces over the next few years though.
    I fix stuff.
  • xPut Name HerexxPut Name Herex1,571,208
    Posted on 11 October 13 at 06:05, Edited on 11 October 13 at 06:05 by xPut Name Herex
    Linkx41 said:
    WeltallAY said:
    Bonxy said:
    Crandy said:
    Not even close to a portable system, the software lineup for the most part sucks, there's no physical media, touch screen isn't great for every game(despite what people say SC: Conviction is absolute shit). And then we are entering into the fact that you don't even own the games you buy anyways. Vita/3DS are the only portable options as far as I'm concerned, and that's why Microsoft will never enter the handheld market, because Nintendo would blow them away. And WP controls such a shit piece of the market as it is, a selling point it is indeed not. Aside from Gamerscore enthusiasts, the general public just don't care. Microsoft just really just follow Sony and release their own selection of mobile games on other OS. M$ need to stop pretending that people care about WP and support their competition.Maybe if Microsoft would just focus on the Xbox One when it comes to gaming, the system would be in better shape then it is right now.
    Huh? Microsoft's WP isn't designed to compete as a gaming system. It is a mobile OS for powering smartphones, competing against the likes of iOS, Android, and BlackBerry (the latter of which is has even past in marketshare), so Nintendo and Sony shouldn't even come into it (yes Sony does have their own handsets, but they run Android, not a custom Sony OS). As for people "not caring about it", WP is actually rapidly gaining marketshare as well, just recently passing 10% in a handful of major European countries (thanks in no small part to the affordable and well designed Lumia 521/520 handsets).

Gaming is not even a focus of the WP strategy, just a happy coincidence of it. People want apps, and since games are apps, games show up on the phone. Microsoft uses "Xbox" for some of them because "Xbox" is a popular consumer brand; look at how their music and video distribution is called "Xbox Music/Video" even if you have never touched an Xbox (http://music.xbox.com). And although this site only covers the Xbox-enabled titles (for obvious reasons), there is always another game and another non-gaming app in this Deal of the Week. They are hardly pulling away focus from the Xbox One to promote Windows Phone, they are completely separate divisions (if anything, Xbox One is hurting Microsoft's other products, since they have had to pull engineers off the Windows division to quickly rewrite the system authentication scheme).

If you wanted a dedicated mobile gaming device, you should be looking at a Nintendo DS, PS Vita, or an iPad (Android tablets are also getting up there). Never a smartphone.
    Gamers have two hobbies: Playing games, and complaining about those games
  • x RepoUK xx RepoUK x306,086
    Posted on 11 October 13 at 08:28
    BROOKER 513 said:
    On another topic, can I have more than one Wp7 with my profile and not be on a phone company contract?? Would like to download the 6 other games I can't fit on my phone.
    5 phones per Live account IIRR
    pezza888 said:
    Hmm wouln't have minded uno at some point, but oh well.
    It was crap anyway. Uno with Friends is far better, although still a buggy POS.

JamP0und32 said:
    Damnit, i was going to buy assassins creed when i upgraded my phone as my current one can't play it. :(
    It's a POS, you're missing nothing.

xPut Name Herex said:
    CASS190684 said:
    I'm really not liking this current trend of WP games being delisted...
    I won't be deleting anything from my phone in future if I can help it. Too bad if I run out of storage space though, seeing as though you can't use memory cards roll
    Depends on your phone model. My Nokia Lumia 822 accepts them, as did my HTC Trophy before that (was a factor in my purchase decision).
    Only music, photo's and video can go on memory cards though. App's etc cannot (some very minor exceptions apply).

triplewitching said:
    but the prices are so low that more than a few games come out with glitchy achievements, and they are never fixed.
    That's M$'s fault for charging so much to evaluate a fix, it's nothing to do with the initial cost of the game. Which is not defending LameLoft in anyway as they are a bunch of tossers.

triplewitching said:
    The phones mostly don't have the space to store that many games
    That's purely a policy decision by MS to reduce piracy, the hardware and OS is perfectly capable of running apps from memory cards.

triplewitching said:
    Actually, I could even see the whole product get Zuned at some point, as the non-game app support is already meh, and the Android OS and iPhone sells so much better than all Windows phones combined
    Unlikely IMHO but then MS are ruthless when they get bored of a tech.
  • Hanshi McDHanshi McD365,064
    Posted on 11 October 13 at 13:08
    Glad ive smashed both my WP,if this delisting keeps up WP wont be worth anything.
    Mick-Dee 19........not Em See Dee 19
  • LV 1 Blue SlimeLV 1 Blue Slime1,666,241
    Posted on 11 October 13 at 22:39
    I'd like to think Square Enix is above delisting Chaos Rings but maybe I should go ahead and get it anyway. I'm glad I'm not particularly attached to my WP7, the games are dropping like flies.
  • spacedvest2spacedvest2988,532
    Posted on 12 October 13 at 14:22
    I don't understand the dislike over Assassin's Creed. I thought it was a good game. Mirror's Edge is better though.
  • A KING 84A KING 84401,334
    Posted on 25 October 13 at 01:21
    It looks like all the games are back up. Re-downloading Assassin's Creed now!!!!
    King
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads