Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Possible Assassin's Creed Settings

• xPut Name HerexxPut Name Herex1,156,975
    Posted on 17 November 14 at 16:00
    TheGearGuardian said:for me it would need to be Asuka Period Japan 650-750AD.

Or epic WW2 story. you alone a Nazi soldier approached by the Gestapo for your valor in combat. You are picked to join an inner circle (templar) and find yourself within Hitler's lead advisers and Generals. Learning Hitlers plot to use the pieces of Eden to control the modern world, you flee into Italy to hide from the madness of the Nazi Order. Assassins learn your location and seek you out to chill one of Hitler's lackie's, you convince them you want nothing to do with the Templars and offer to infiltrate Germany as a double agent for the Assassin's to end WW2.

dont really care about other fanboys axing and ripping my thoughts just think it would be a pretty epic push into the 20th Century, maybe after Unity.
    You missed part of the Assassin's Creed lore wink
    *** Spoiler - click to reveal ***
  • Posted on 17 November 14 at 16:32
    Japan would be amazing. This needs to happen smile
  • The GlobalizerThe Globalizer1,395,781
    Posted on 17 November 14 at 16:50
    I rogueGambit I said:justinman114 said:I fear you guys are running out of quality material for these Top 10 lists.This. Worst. Top five. Ever. Until the next worst one. Potential Fallout settings would've been more interesting.I liked this list and would enjoy the Fallout list, too.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 17 November 14 at 17:16
    Next week - TA Top five top five lists, laugh

First World War would be cool, OT
    Excuse me while I whip this out
  • LuckyKantLuckyKant741,146
    Posted on 17 November 14 at 17:17
    Best top ever. I am studying to be a history teacher and I love the really ancient stuff.

I remember an article from a few years ago which they said they had an ending. I reckon that the ending will be set in Eden. Also, they ruled out WW2 as ever being used, along with Egypt. They have been considering Japan though.

I would like a King Arthur era game or London. Russia would work. South Africa could also work, with the ANC being an Assassin organisation fighting against the National Party & Verwoerd's Templars. Verwoerd was also the victim of a failed assassination.
    Hey Niko, its your cousin! Let's go bowling!
  • Nyancat7Nyancat7111,513
    Posted on 17 November 14 at 17:45
    I expected Nazi germany in the top 5
  • Das KuhnenDas Kuhnen705,548
    Posted on 17 November 14 at 17:47
    I think they reference Hitler and other WW era characters through side quests and collectibles to avoid having to make a CoD clone AC game. Really curious what they would do for either time.

I'd be interested in each of those mentioned, as well as modern day and possibly an Atlantis based game.
    Deep into that darkness peering.. Long I stood there.. wondering..fearing.. doubting..
  • ChewieOnIceChewieOnIce1,284,452
    Posted on 17 November 14 at 17:52, Edited on 17 November 14 at 17:54 by ChewieOnIce
    LuckyConquerer2 said:I remember an article from a few years ago which they said they had an ending. I reckon that the ending will be set in Eden. Also, they ruled out WW2 as ever being used, along with Egypt. They have been considering Japan though. I can partly see the reasoning behind them ruling them out (overdone, unsuitable etc) but it would be a shame if that would be that as there are specific periods and settings in both of those eras that could still feel fresh and make the most of the themes and gameplay the series employs. A WWII set game doesn't have to be a generic shooter when you consider all the things that were happening within occupied cities and Egypt isn't just about pyramids and mummies, especially in the period when the Greeks then Romans tried to take control. There's some dense and interesting history in those times, as well as some very interesting characters and, of course, some brutal backstabbing and murder.
    @ChewieOnIce | NewsHound | 'Please don't kill us.' 'Please don't make it so appealing'
  • dude17252dude17252320,248
    Posted on 17 November 14 at 17:54
    Here is an idea: have a game that takes place in the American Civil War. The protagonist is a person that is caught in the middle as one parent is for the north and the other for the south. Introduce characters like Lincoln, and Grant and go from there.
  • mars2moonmars2moon430,607
    Posted on 17 November 14 at 18:05
    War for Texas Independence/Mexican American War
    US Civil War possible DLC reconstructions/Western Expansion & Rise of Industry
  • JGSLabJGSLab203,207
    Posted on 17 November 14 at 18:20
    Europe during the nazi occupation, France, Italy, Norway, the low countries berlin, london during the blitz a whole load of cities, events and characters to choose from
  • xPut Name HerexxPut Name Herex1,156,975
    Posted on 17 November 14 at 18:25, Edited on 17 November 14 at 18:26 by xPut Name Herex
    Billy Horrible said:Frankly, the one I'd love to nominate is Ancient Greece, mainly Athens. There's more than enough to climb and it would look gorgeous. Problem with this, Ancient Egypt and others is, what's the Templar and Assassin equivalent before the crusades? I believe everything with them started in the Middle Ages; Al Mualim was the founder of the Assassins after all so before him there's no Creed...The Assassin-Templar conflict in the lore goes back to 75000BCE
    So the two factions have been covertly going at each other since the beginning of human history. The Third Crusade is just a rare instance of the two fighting overtly with the groups they are manipulating for their aims.
    Posted on 17 November 14 at 18:28
    ChewieOnIce said:LuckyConquerer2 said:I remember an article from a few years ago which they said they had an ending. I reckon that the ending will be set in Eden. Also, they ruled out WW2 as ever being used, along with Egypt. They have been considering Japan though. I can partly see the reasoning behind them ruling them out (overdone, unsuitable etc) but it would be a shame if that would be that as there are specific periods and settings in both of those eras that could still feel fresh and make the most of the themes and gameplay the series employs. A WWII set game doesn't have to be a generic shooter when you consider all the things that were happening within occupied cities and Egypt isn't just about pyramids and mummies, especially in the period when the Greeks then Romans tried to take control. There's some dense and interesting history in those times, as well as some very interesting characters and, of course, some brutal backstabbing and murder.I agree. I never want AC to become a shooter. I am still not overly keen on using a pistol every so often.
  • Posted on 17 November 14 at 18:58
    Fire Hawk GYJS said:As a small complaint, why in the Eden entry is the date displayed correctly as "BCE" but in the Egypt entry it's switched back to the now-unused "BC"?

Otherwise, good article. =D
    I'll tell you why. BECAUSE ITS BC, it not AD you don't go around saying i was born in 1975 AD. Its commonly refered to at BC and AD not BCE AND CE. It's not written 787 AD in the lett's schoolboys diary now is it. NOTHING HAPPEN IN 787 BC. well of course there is the areoplane but were not talking about that now are we? JUST LEAVE IT ALONE AS BC AND AD! of the whole article this is what you wanted to jump on? I'm out, I got a black knight I need to cut the arms and legs off of before I go home.

Just because people want to take any reference to Christ and Christianity out of everything is very sad. I hope all the people that reference everything this way (BCE/CE) get a big lump of coal in thier stockings for CHRISTmas and yes you can write Xmas because the X was a symbol for the cross or Christ anyway.

BC AND AD was easy to understand growing up and I will keep using those terms until the day I die.
    AND THAT'S . . . . . THE REST OF THE STORY.
  • Posted on 17 November 14 at 19:34
    I agree with the others except for the first one. It would just be to modern. Although the game arguably has a lot of changes to it just running around with a gun would be to much.
    Happy gaming.
    Posted on 17 November 14 at 20:01, Edited on 17 November 14 at 20:02 by LuckyKant
    URZAS EL RONIN said:Fire Hawk GYJS said:As a small complaint, why in the Eden entry is the date displayed correctly as "BCE" but in the Egypt entry it's switched back to the now-unused "BC"?

I'll tell you why. BECAUSE ITS BC, it not AD you don't go around saying i was born in 1975 AD. Its commonly refered to at BC and AD not BCE AND CE. It's not written 787 AD in the lett's schoolboys diary now is it. NOTHING HAPPEN IN 787 BC. well of course there is the areoplane but were not talking about that now are we? JUST LEAVE IT ALONE AS BC AND AD! of the whole article this is what you wanted to jump on? I'm out, I got a black knight I need to cut the arms and legs off of before I go home.

Just because people want to take any reference to Christ and Christianity out of everything is very sad. I hope all the people that reference everything this way (BCE/CE) get a big lump of coal in thier stockings for CHRISTmas and yes you can write Xmas because the X was a symbol for the cross or Christ anyway.

BC AND AD was easy to understand growing up and I will keep using those terms until the day I die.
    As a historian, I have to agree with keeping it as AD and BC however BCE / CE was first used in the 17th Century so it not as new as people would think. Interestingly, Common Era was first called vulgaris aerae (vulgar era).

Additionally, Fire Hawk, do you also oppose the names of the year as they are religiously based.
    January: Janus, a Roman God
    February: Februum, a Roman ritual
    March: Mars, a Roman God
    April: No one is sure but possibly maybe Venus, a Greek God
    May: Maia, a Greek God...

and so on .
  • LancerideLanceride423,470
    Posted on 17 November 14 at 20:09
    I want to see an Assassin's Creed crossover. For example, an Assassin's Creed that takes place in Rapture, where you discover how people like Andrew Ryan and Frank Fontaine are involved with the Assassins or Templars. I think the game would best take place before the whole city falls to Splicers and madmen (although Splicers could still act as the occasional difficult enemy). There are a lot of interesting possibilities when it comes to interacting with the people of Rapture, splicers, little sisters, big daddies, and plasmids. In fact, plasmids could completely replace the various gadgets that you use in Assassin's Creed typically, and ammo could be replaced with EVE. This is all just a dream that will never happen, of course. cry
    PM me if you wanna play some Smash Bros.!
  • FlonkFlonk327,000
    Posted on 17 November 14 at 20:10
    I would like to see a TA: Top five with in game radio channels. GTA will probably be all over that list but still would be a fun list :)
  • CoMaestroCoMaestro107,797
    Posted on 17 November 14 at 20:22, Edited on 17 November 14 at 20:23 by CoMaestro
    Kendrene said:Maybe the Belle Époque then? From the late 1800 to the spark of WW1. That period is talked about at length in one of Ken Follet's latest books too. I found it always interesting how we went from the cultural and technological progress of the Belle Époque to the destruction of the Great War. It's not really a big spoiler, but I'll mark it anyway (AC Unity)
  • Posted on 17 November 14 at 20:26
    Fire Hawk GYJS said:As a small complaint, why in the Eden entry is the date displayed correctly as "BCE" but in the Egypt entry it's switched back to the now-unused "BC"?

now-unused..... ?? What world are you living in? In my part of the world, BCE is a rarity, a bit of a joke, everyone uses BC.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.