Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Possible Assassin's Creed Settings

  • Posted on 17 November 14 at 21:05
    I think it'd be quality if they went to Scandinavia or to the First Civilisation.
  • xPut Name HerexxPut Name Herex1,156,975
    Posted on 17 November 14 at 21:08
    LuckyConquerer2 said:URZAS EL RONIN said:Fire Hawk GYJS said:As a small complaint, why in the Eden entry is the date displayed correctly as "BCE" but in the Egypt entry it's switched back to the now-unused "BC"?

    Otherwise, good article. =D
    I'll tell you why. BECAUSE ITS BC, it not AD you don't go around saying i was born in 1975 AD. Its commonly refered to at BC and AD not BCE AND CE. It's not written 787 AD in the lett's schoolboys diary now is it. NOTHING HAPPEN IN 787 BC. well of course there is the areoplane but were not talking about that now are we? JUST LEAVE IT ALONE AS BC AND AD! of the whole article this is what you wanted to jump on? I'm out, I got a black knight I need to cut the arms and legs off of before I go home.


    Just because people want to take any reference to Christ and Christianity out of everything is very sad. I hope all the people that reference everything this way (BCE/CE) get a big lump of coal in thier stockings for CHRISTmas and yes you can write Xmas because the X was a symbol for the cross or Christ anyway.

    BC AND AD was easy to understand growing up and I will keep using those terms until the day I die.
    As a historian, I have to agree with keeping it as AD and BC however BCE / CE was first used in the 17th Century so it not as new as people would think. Interestingly, Common Era was first called vulgaris aerae (vulgar era).

    Additionally, Fire Hawk, do you also oppose the names of the year as they are religiously based.
    January: Janus, a Roman God
    February: Februum, a Roman ritual
    March: Mars, a Roman God
    April: No one is sure but possibly maybe Venus, a Greek God
    May: Maia, a Greek God...

    and so on .
    I don't think he said he was opposed to BC or BCE, just asking why the article didn't have consistency within itself.
  • AnubsethAnubseth857,684
    Posted on 17 November 14 at 21:30, Edited on 17 November 14 at 21:38 by Anubseth
    Haven't Ubisoft spoken a while ago about not going to Japan because "it's too common"? I actually don't think that any of the locations in the Top 5 are coming to a game. None of them feels like an AC game (even BF wasn't a true AC game, more like a pirate game). China is a good candidate for the next game.
  • Ninja HorseeNinja Horsee620,174
    Posted on 17 November 14 at 21:32
    The viking period was from ca 739 after christ to 1050. It ended in 1013, but some say 1050,.
    I'm a self-appointed champion at pretty much everything.
  • ChewieOnIceChewieOnIce1,284,452
    Posted on 17 November 14 at 21:46
    xPut Name Herex said:LuckyConquerer2 said:URZAS EL RONIN said:Fire Hawk GYJS said:As a small complaint, why in the Eden entry is the date displayed correctly as "BCE" but in the Egypt entry it's switched back to the now-unused "BC"?

    Otherwise, good article. =D
    I'll tell you why. BECAUSE ITS BC, it not AD you don't go around saying i was born in 1975 AD. Its commonly refered to at BC and AD not BCE AND CE. It's not written 787 AD in the lett's schoolboys diary now is it. NOTHING HAPPEN IN 787 BC. well of course there is the areoplane but were not talking about that now are we? JUST LEAVE IT ALONE AS BC AND AD! of the whole article this is what you wanted to jump on? I'm out, I got a black knight I need to cut the arms and legs off of before I go home.


    Just because people want to take any reference to Christ and Christianity out of everything is very sad. I hope all the people that reference everything this way (BCE/CE) get a big lump of coal in thier stockings for CHRISTmas and yes you can write Xmas because the X was a symbol for the cross or Christ anyway.

    BC AND AD was easy to understand growing up and I will keep using those terms until the day I die.
    As a historian, I have to agree with keeping it as AD and BC however BCE / CE was first used in the 17th Century so it not as new as people would think. Interestingly, Common Era was first called vulgaris aerae (vulgar era).

    Additionally, Fire Hawk, do you also oppose the names of the year as they are religiously based.
    January: Janus, a Roman God
    February: Februum, a Roman ritual
    March: Mars, a Roman God
    April: No one is sure but possibly maybe Venus, a Greek God
    May: Maia, a Greek God...

    and so on .
    I don't think he said he was opposed to BC or BCE, just asking why the article didn't have consistency within itself.
    And the answer is that it was a typo stemming from using multiple sources as research. I've edited one for consistency and I don't have a personal preference either way.

    Ninja Horsee said:The viking period was from ca 739 after christ to 1050. It ended in 1013, but some say 1050,.Indeed, which is why the chosen period is until early 11th century. The dates chosen aren't intended to represent the entire era, just the 40-50 year period I'd choose to represent in the game.
    @ChewieOnIce | NewsHound | 'Please don't kill us.' 'Please don't make it so appealing'
  • MugenKairoMugenKairo262,223
    Posted on 17 November 14 at 22:32
    I think everyone is hoping for a feudal Japan. I mean, who wouldn't? An era of blades and samurai, ninjas and the battle of Sekigahara! I might even buy an X1 for that.
    'We all make choices, but in the end those choices make us'
  • BobWingsBobWings766,283
    Posted on 18 November 14 at 01:18
    Feudal area Japan. I would buy that game the second it came out.

    I know that my pick would not be as popular as Japan would be, but I would love to see Assassin's creed in the old west. Red Dead Redemption meets Assassin's Creed.

    Completely random: Fallout 3 + Assassin's Creed = best... crossover game... ever...

    Now, off to dream a little dream...
  • Posted on 18 November 14 at 01:21
    I want an AC game that's fully set in the here and now.
  • Posted on 18 November 14 at 01:48
    i think it would be rad if they did the roman empire with Spartacus or something like that
  • Posted on 18 November 14 at 03:27
    This is just going in the order of the gm, War of 1812 or Civil War Era. The Roman empire would be good
  • Dom2096Dom20961,329,149
    Posted on 18 November 14 at 05:21
    Great Article, thanks!
  • Removed Gamer

    Removed Gamer

    Posted on 18 November 14 at 07:26, Edited on 18 November 14 at 07:29 by
    xPut Name Herex said:Billy Horrible said:Frankly, the one I'd love to nominate is Ancient Greece, mainly Athens. There's more than enough to climb and it would look gorgeous. Problem with this, Ancient Egypt and others is, what's the Templar and Assassin equivalent before the crusades? I believe everything with them started in the Middle Ages; Al Mualim was the founder of the Assassins after all so before him there's no Creed...The Assassin-Templar conflict in the lore goes back to 75000BCE
    *** Spoiler - click to reveal ***
    So the two factions have been covertly going at each other since the beginning of human history. The Third Crusade is just a rare instance of the two fighting overtly with the groups they are manipulating for their aims.
    Well yeah but what I meant was, it wasn't until Al Mualim that the actual literal Creed was born. And the Templar order as it exists is also from around that time. Before that they were still around but in a different fasion, but the most important part is there is no "Assassin's Creed" in that time because the group didn't call themselves assassins and they didn't have a creed or at least not one in the way we know it.

    So while there is pre-medieval stories to show (like how the Templars backed Xerxes), there's no actual Assassin Brotherhood even though the general idea has been around since Eden.
    There's no accounting for taste, it'd be best if everyone just respected that.
  • Omniscient AlOmniscient Al1,288,322
    Posted on 18 November 14 at 12:10
    The Assassin' s Creed franchise follows a set formula.

    Pursuit of an elusive target, subsequent elimination of target, hop on the horsie, ride a ton of miles, jump from a tower into a haystack and miraculously survive, attempt to locate those lame fanions and ultimately do it all again in the next iteration.


    Reminds me of the Nancy Drew series.
    Nancy Drew and the mystery of the Golden Obelisk.
    Nancy Drew zombie executioner.
    Nancy Drew Green Beret.

    I am fascinated by people's enthusiasm for old wine in new bottles.
  • Posted on 18 November 14 at 12:30
    Problem with the Warring States Japan scenario is that is has been done to death by Koei (Samurai Warriors). i like the sound of the Russian Revolution in an AC game though.
  • LuckyKantLuckyKant741,146
    Posted on 18 November 14 at 15:42
    lawman al said:The Assassin' s Creed franchise follows a set formula.

    Pursuit of an elusive target, subsequent elimination of target, hop on the horsie, ride a ton of miles, jump from a tower into a haystack and miraculously survive, attempt to locate those lame fanions and ultimately do it all again in the next iteration.


    Reminds me of the Nancy Drew series.
    Nancy Drew and the mystery of the Golden Obelisk.
    Nancy Drew zombie executioner.
    Nancy Drew Green Beret.

    I am fascinated by people's enthusiasm for old wine in new bottles.
    If it is not broken, why change it?
    Hey Niko, its your cousin! Let's go bowling!
  • Posted on 18 November 14 at 17:02
    Nice list
  • Posted on 18 November 14 at 19:38
    I am only up to AC:3 so far as the timeline goes but so far it seems like you are spending more time in the present and more time as desmond I imagine eventually it will be modern day, really how much can they hope to learn from the past?
  • Posted on 18 November 14 at 20:21
    assassin's creed in space
  • LuckyKantLuckyKant741,146
    Posted on 18 November 14 at 20:46
    thisissparta27 said:assassin's creed in spaceshock Ubisoft, please, please do not ever do that.
    Hey Niko, its your cousin! Let's go bowling!
  • Posted on 18 November 14 at 23:00
    How about they slow down and stop rushing their games? :| Ubisoft are turning into EA by the minute
    I need motivaton :'(
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.