Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

XBL Content Roundup: June 11th & 12th, 2015

• punkyliarpunkyliar191,387
  • oO KwaX OooO KwaX Oo199,596
    Posted on 13 June 15 at 06:40Permalink
    These day one DLC for LEGO are ridiculous; a few years ago that content would have been included in the game! angry

Also, why is Tetris free in Japan??
  • mcass23mcass23171,834
    Posted on 13 June 15 at 06:55, Edited on 13 June 15 at 06:59 by mcass23Permalink
    Great roundup... thanks for the info as always punkyliar!!! I like the way that these are organized...easy to skim and very coherent!

For everyone out there... I have a Lego question...I haven't played Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham (which featured a few DLCs)...and I figured that these added side stories and characters. Were these DLCs essential to certain characters... or just incidentals like different character attire, locations, and so on...with newly created or Very Side side stories. Im guessing that Lex and Tim are still in the game... but I wonder if some small book/movie scenes are left out for these DLCs. if anyone knows... thanks!

...and I agree...these would have been included in previous releases.
  • Fire Hawk DFire Hawk D1,396,712
    Posted on 13 June 15 at 07:35Permalink
    There was a cruise ship in The Lost World? I don't remember one, much less an "iconic" one.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 13 June 15 at 08:38Permalink
    Damn. I really want to get that Jurassic game.
    I Will Not Fail
  • ComboChristComboChrist714,441
    Posted on 13 June 15 at 09:03Permalink
    Fire Hawk GYJS said:There was a cruise ship in The Lost World? I don't remember one, much less an "iconic" one.The one that got the Ninja-T-Rex to LA(?). But yeah, nothing iconic about that.
  • destinywarsdestinywars721,500
    Posted on 13 June 15 at 09:36Permalink
    wasn't there a cruise ship at the start of the lost world and a family were on the island where their daughter got attacked by compys?
  • NO1KEVNO1KEV1,847,829
    Posted on 13 June 15 at 09:39Permalink
    oO KwaX Oo said:These day one DLC for LEGO are ridiculous; a few years ago that content would have been included in the game! angry

Also, why is Tetris free in Japan??
    Welcome to modern gaming! Devs try and rinse every last penny out of every gamer possible! At least the dlc doesn't have achievements and surprised it doesn't have a season pass! Its just the state of gaming I dont agree with it so I dont buy it. I have NEVER bought any dlc unless it has achievements.
  • JblacqJblacq506,918
    Posted on 13 June 15 at 10:34Permalink
    oO KwaX Oo said:These day one DLC for LEGO are ridiculous; a few years ago that content would have been included in the game! angryAs a dev, I know first hand that getting a game certified can take a long time. When you're done, you send the game to Microsoft to get reviewed. Then, you wait for your turn to be tested. Then, unless your game fails horribly, you wait a week to see if you passed or failed. If you failed, then you have to fix the issues and start the process all over again. If you passed, and the game is releasing in multiple areas, then those areas require testing and certification.

FINALLY, after everything is approved, there is more waiting why the game is pressed to disc (if required).

During all this time, you don't want the entire team sitting around. Hell, before you even finish the game, the artists have already moved on to the next project. So, if there's nothing to do but wait, why not start working on the DLC? Since the DLC is smaller than the actual game, A) the dev cycle is quicker and B) the cert/testing cycle is smaller as well.
  • FoBoRawRFoBoRawR354,505
    Posted on 13 June 15 at 12:03, Edited on 13 June 15 at 12:03 by FoBoRawRPermalink
    Jblacq said:oO KwaX Oo said:These day one DLC for LEGO are ridiculous; a few years ago that content would have been included in the game! angryAs a dev, I know first hand that getting a game certified can take a long time. When you're done, you send the game to Microsoft to get reviewed. Then, you wait for your turn to be tested. Then, unless your game fails horribly, you wait a week to see if you passed or failed. If you failed, then you have to fix the issues and start the process all over again. If you passed, and the game is releasing in multiple areas, then those areas require testing and certification.

FINALLY, after everything is approved, there is more waiting why the game is pressed to disc (if required).

During all this time, you don't want the entire team sitting around. Hell, before you even finish the game, the artists have already moved on to the next project. So, if there's nothing to do but wait, why not start working on the DLC? Since the DLC is smaller than the actual game, A) the dev cycle is quicker and B) the cert/testing cycle is smaller as well.
    While that does make sense, 99% of people do not know this process and in their eyes all they see is the game coming out, and then a small selection of characters and vehicles (in this case) come out alongside it with extra charge... you can kinda see why it riles people up.

Why don't they work on something more substantial for the game to be released later down the line? That would be more beneficial to everyone I would think?
  • JblacqJblacq506,918
    Posted on 13 June 15 at 12:59Permalink
    FoBoRawR said:Why don't they work on something more substantial for the game to be released later down the line? That would be more beneficial to everyone I would think?The actual planning is over my pay grade.

It's possible they're doing both at the same time, or maybe they're hoping that the money from the first DLC will pay for the second? Another possibility is they want to wait and see how the game does first. No point in making DLC for a game that only sells 1,000 copies.
  • oO KwaX OooO KwaX Oo199,596
    Posted on 13 June 15 at 14:24Permalink
    Jblacq said:oO KwaX Oo said:These day one DLC for LEGO are ridiculous; a few years ago that content would have been included in the game! angryAs a dev, I know first hand that getting a game certified can take a long time. When you're done, you send the game to Microsoft to get reviewed. Then, you wait for your turn to be tested. Then, unless your game fails horribly, you wait a week to see if you passed or failed. If you failed, then you have to fix the issues and start the process all over again. If you passed, and the game is releasing in multiple areas, then those areas require testing and certification.

I totally agree with that but what's bothering me is that
    - They call a few characters and two vehicles "DLC" while, although it fits the name (because it really is downloadable content), that's not what I expect from a DLC. In my opinion, a DLC should be something special that's not fitting in the base game, something that really makes you feel like "okay, now I'm not playing the base game anymore but the DLC!" (as, for example, Vietnam in BFBC2, the DLCs from GTA IV, some DLCs of Borderlands 2, ...) and not some stupid characters in a game franchise already known for having dozens of them ...
    - Regarding the development time, that's the kind of content that could either have been added before launch or not added at all or even added for free (remember the DLC from BioShock?) and therefore it feels like it has been removed from the game just to be released as a piece of DLC and get a few more [insert currency here] ... and as I was saying in my original post (and as NO1KEV also says), this seems to be the new way to go and honestly I find it simply ridiculous!

As I said, I agree with what you say and I'm sure that's what happened for the games I've mentioned earlier but with these "DLCs", come on! How long would it take to a dev to do that? One day? Two maybe? ... I guess you'll agree that what you describe doesn't apply here and that the only reason this shit exists is their greed!

By the way, I'm still curious about Tetris! smile
  • vegansoundvegansound655,748
    Posted on 13 June 15 at 16:05Permalink
    Microsoft said:LEGO Jurassic World (Xbox 360)
    Size: 6.68 GB
    Price: US$49.99 / £44.99 / €64.99
    Hey guys at Microsoft, US$49.99 is 44,38€, not............. 64,99€!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • LuckyKantLuckyKant477,860
    Posted on 13 June 15 at 17:28Permalink
    vegansound said:Microsoft said:LEGO Jurassic World (Xbox 360)
    Size: 6.68 GB
    Price: US$49.99 / £44.99 / €64.99
    Hey guys at Microsoft, US$49.99 is 44,38€, not............. 64,99€!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Delivery charge wink
    Walkthroughs - Owner : 4: Latest: Assassin's Creed Liberation HD Contributions: 3: Latest: Max Payne 3
  • zoidberg1339zoidberg1339401,730
    Posted on 13 June 15 at 22:36Permalink
    So what makes the collectors edition different?
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.