Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Short Games

• Posted on 12 May 15 at 23:04, Edited on 12 May 15 at 23:10 by Mobius Evalon
    Never played any of these except Brothers, and that was only because it was free. All of the rest look like they're the same type of experience -- hoity toity arty games that are massively oversold on their value as an interactive experience. It seems like the moment a game tries to make a point of poignancy in its story or message that it suddenly gets rated on a completely separate scale ranging from "achingly beautiful" to "mankind's greatest accomplishment to date".
    Supporter of unpopular opinions.
  • LifeExpectancyLifeExpectancy1,642,394
    Posted on 13 May 15 at 01:15
    Awesome choices. I've played all of the top 5 except Stacking.
    Goal: 500,000gs with 500 total games, 100% including all DLC. Deadline: 1-1-16.
  • HarbringernightHarbringernight1,002,450
    Posted on 13 May 15 at 01:30, Edited on 13 May 15 at 01:32 by Harbringernight
    Angels Kill Too said:rocking23nf said:Brothers is a terrible terrible game, never understood why it got so much love, worst controls ever, a story that I really could care less about, I actually considered it punishment to finish all the achievements, I didn't even finish the story, I got the last achievement and deleted it.You sound salty as fuck; you want Punishment? Try playing Superman 64 or if that's too old for you try Leisure Suit Lary Box office bust and you'll play with some clunky ass shitty controls.This made me laugh. People complaining about brother controls must have some sort of disability. They are different and thats about it. Maybe some cant multi task at that level. Which is just past the 2-D Mario level.
    BY FYRE BE PURGED
  • ChucklestyleChucklestyle1,074,536
    Posted on 13 May 15 at 07:15
    I absolutely loved Asura's Wrath, warts and all. Ended up going for the full completion, which was a pain, but the trip and the DLC's (minus the Street Fighter tie in ones) were terrific. If another game comes along in that style, and especially from CyberConnect2, I'll preorder without question.
  • FiveWizzFiveWizz465,728
    Posted on 13 May 15 at 08:24
    I must be mad for not liking Dust....I thoroughly despised it. Didn't get on with it at all and didn't finish it. Not gunna knock any aspect of it just didn't enjoy it at all.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 13 May 15 at 16:35, Edited on 13 May 15 at 16:36 by
    Harbringernight said:Angels Kill Too said:rocking23nf said:Brothers is a terrible terrible game, never understood why it got so much love, worst controls ever, a story that I really could care less about, I actually considered it punishment to finish all the achievements, I didn't even finish the story, I got the last achievement and deleted it.You sound salty as fuck; you want Punishment? Try playing Superman 64 or if that's too old for you try Leisure Suit Lary Box office bust and you'll play with some clunky ass shitty controls.This made me laugh. People complaining about brother controls must have some sort of disability. They are different and thats about it. Maybe some cant multi task at that level. Which is just past the 2-D Mario level.laughlaughclaptoast
    A simple bad habit will mar an otherwise flawless character, as a single ink drop soils the pure white page.
  • AhayzoAhayzo1,174,008
    Posted on 13 May 15 at 18:52
    Harbringernight said:Angels Kill Too said:rocking23nf said:Brothers is a terrible terrible game, never understood why it got so much love, worst controls ever, a story that I really could care less about, I actually considered it punishment to finish all the achievements, I didn't even finish the story, I got the last achievement and deleted it.You sound salty as fuck; you want Punishment? Try playing Superman 64 or if that's too old for you try Leisure Suit Lary Box office bust and you'll play with some clunky ass shitty controls.This made me laugh. People complaining about brother controls must have some sort of disability. They are different and thats about it. Maybe some cant multi task at that level. Which is just past the 2-D Mario level.Or maybe we just don't like being forced into control schemes like that? I can play Halo games with the Southpaw configuration just fine, it doesn't mean I like it, and I certainly wouldn't be happy if it was the only option.
  • T r a s k xT r a s k x1,375,226
    Posted on 15 May 15 at 09:06
    Quickest arcade game i've played was sonic fighters,complete crap but very fast and very easy.
  • Angels Kill TooAngels Kill Too1,637,541
    Posted on 15 May 15 at 21:00, Edited on 15 May 15 at 21:03 by Angels Kill Too
    alklein92201 said:Harbringernight said:Angels Kill Too said:rocking23nf said:Brothers is a terrible terrible game, never understood why it got so much love, worst controls ever, a story that I really could care less about, I actually considered it punishment to finish all the achievements, I didn't even finish the story, I got the last achievement and deleted it.You sound salty as fuck; you want Punishment? Try playing Superman 64 or if that's too old for you try Leisure Suit Lary Box office bust and you'll play with some clunky ass shitty controls.This made me laugh. People complaining about brother controls must have some sort of disability. They are different and thats about it. Maybe some cant multi task at that level. Which is just past the 2-D Mario level.Or maybe we just don't like being forced into control schemes like that? I can play Halo games with the Southpaw configuration just fine, it doesn't mean I like it, and I certainly wouldn't be happy if it was the only option.It's BOTH ANALOG STICKS... if someone can't handle that then they have no right to call them-self a gamer; "I HAVE TO USE BOTH HANDS?! THIS has bad controls!" when i first got halo back on the original xbox the controls were inverted and I got used to it, it was only I after i beat it on legendary when I realized i could change them lol. but the amount of piss and vinegar that person was spewing out saying it made it seem like " Terrible Punishment" then why the hell did he play it until he got every achievement if it was that bad why the hell didn't they stop? Then again he couldn't use both sticks at the same time so that'd explain what kind of person he is.
    Get Hype, Bring the Noise!
  • Posted on 16 May 15 at 01:24
    Too many risks were taken with Brothers and I fell for the hype. Beautiful scenery to look at, but the game was just: meh.
    Rollus Tidus
  • TwistTwist462,691
    Posted on 16 May 15 at 10:23
    Hmmm Portal not in top5? It's much more honorable than a honorable mention warning

Glad Never Alone made it, that game is so well put together. Managed to learn quite a bit as I played it :P
    "Hey Guys! Look at my Gu-"
  • AngryNivekiAngryNiveki397,972
    Posted on 20 May 15 at 00:06
    With you on that JadedSage, Never Alone was great, played it with my fiancee in co-op and we both enjoyed it tons. Took me much longer than the speculative hour that's been posted although, in my defence, i found the whole Inuit culture fascinating and watched all the video clips in full. I was also tipsy and playing on new year's eve.
  • Posted on 23 May 15 at 20:16, Edited on 23 May 15 at 20:18 by Legendgenesis
    Brothers was... an interesting experience. Even after I got used to the control scheme I still found myself having them run into each other all the time. That brain warping was all well and good, a bit fun even, but the story (and control execution in several places) seemed rather grating on me. Played it to the end, though.

Stacking just annoyed me, didn't feel like it was worth spending the money on.

Child of Light and Portal should be in the top two spots, IMO.
  • PodlaskiePodlaskie359,916
    Posted on 09 June 15 at 16:34
    Pneuma is on sale this week.
  • Deacon VexDeacon Vex1,247,329
    Posted on 01 August 15 at 19:30
    You really would be better served at separating Arcade titles/download only games from actual retail offerings. It would give you a lot more list potential, and for those of us that don't like the nickel and dime aspect of the arcade titles, we would have more familiarity with the list's content. Just something to think about!
  • Posted on 09 August 15 at 08:08
    Playing Child of Light now and really loving it, its that perfect combination of European Whimsy and traditional Japanese Role Playing, For anyone with a ps3 I would definitely recommend Puppeteer if you liked CoL.

I haven't played Brothers, so I can't comment one way or another, but no the most overrated short game, and one of the most overrated games of all time is portal. The fact the some people would put it in their greatest game of all time list, and some at number one just.....................I don't know what to say. Its only saving grace that its included in the Orange Box with a game that is actually good aka Half Life.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.