Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

TA Top Five: Swansongs

• scotwolf2scotwolf21,030,982
    Posted on 15 December 14 at 12:41Permalink
    Loved the saboteur, would be great to see someone take it on and do a follow up. The game was crying out for a sequel

I loved sneaking up on some german position, planting a bomb then running like the clappers over open fields, or running people over in the many vehicles trying to escape in the busy streets.... till everything went quiet.
    scotwolf2
  • Vanstrom336Vanstrom336510,588
    Posted on 15 December 14 at 12:59Permalink
    I think a really cool idea for a Top Five would be "Top Five Skill-trees" because a LOT of games now have skill trees, but it'd be cool to see which ones you guys think are the most elaborate or fun to build on.
  • Posted on 15 December 14 at 13:02Permalink
    I didn't play any of those besides L. A. Noire, and man, that was one boring piece of junk. Almost no gameplay besides some chases and reading faces.

I didn't play Darksiders 2, but I enjoyed the first one. Good title.

For the rest of the list: I don't feel like I was missing much.
    Don't open your eyes you won't like what you see! The blind have been blessed with security!
  • Clash MotherClash Mother221,154
    Posted on 15 December 14 at 13:23Permalink
    LA Noire
    The Saboteur
    Max Payne 3
    ... 3 of my all time favorite 360 games
    Some times I wish I could go back and play The Saboteur for the first time again. Those were the good old days
  • S P 4 C E YS P 4 C E Y277,195
    Posted on 15 December 14 at 14:03Permalink
    Where oh where is Halo Wars 2?!
    Category 3D SFA Referee - PSIA Freestyle Ski Coach with M.A in Politics. Random huh?
  • Chris1984ukChris1984uk935,881
    Posted on 15 December 14 at 14:08Permalink
    DragonessHera said:xPut Name Herex said:Not sure the few one-game only studios deserve to be on this list, as swansong implies a more lengthy history of games made. One-hit wonders or "One-and-done" would be a more appropriate Top 5 for them.Nope. Vigil made 2 games, not just 1.He's talking about LA Noire and KoA both games were the only games developed by each company.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 15 December 14 at 14:20Permalink
    Saboteur was okay.

Pandemic was just another EA-related causality. They died because Mercenaries 2 came out as a buggy broken mess since EA made them rush the everloving fuck out of development.

Amalur was another alright game, but it's more impressive that A SINGLE GAME bankrupted the entire state of Rhode Island. That's a feat nobody can top.
    http://www.petitiononline.com/PMMX360/petition.html SIGN IT NOW
  • Posted on 15 December 14 at 14:25Permalink
    The Saboteur was such an awesome game. Took quite awhile to 100% but the story was great and the gameplay was even better.
    Heroes never die.
  • HalidocHalidoc858,827
    Posted on 15 December 14 at 14:32, Edited on 15 December 14 at 14:32 by HalidocPermalink
    I would have liked to seen Propaganda Games as an Honorable Mention. They only made two games, Turok (2008) and Tron: Evolution. Neither were great games but both were still fun playthroughs.

Can we get a Worst Swan Song or games that closed a development studio? I nominate Grin who made the atrocious Terminator Salvation game and the could-have-been-way-better Bionic Commando reboot.
  • EhrenfriedEhrenfried167,483
    Posted on 15 December 14 at 15:13Permalink
    Saboteur was GREAT!

And the developers behind 50cent (swordfish) are now codemasters birmingham, the developers behind the new F1 racing games.
    From gangZta to Formula1 lol.
    www.facebook.com/gefahrensucher
  • Ingen kommentarIngen kommentar1,184,392
    Posted on 15 December 14 at 16:10Permalink
    Ohh boy, where to start.. All these games was so incredible!! it's so sad they had to closed, and not enough ppl supported them when they came out with the respective games. Instead we support EA (Fifa, BF NFS) Activision (COD) Ubisoft (Ass Cred, Far Cry) every time, though it's merly the same game every yeah :O

I would love to see a sequel to anyone of these games every time soon.
  • dlCHIEF58dlCHIEF58404,476
    Posted on 15 December 14 at 16:26Permalink
    Chris1984uk said:DragonessHera said:xPut Name Herex said:Not sure the few one-game only studios deserve to be on this list, as swansong implies a more lengthy history of games made. One-hit wonders or "One-and-done" would be a more appropriate Top 5 for them.Nope. Vigil made 2 games, not just 1.He's talking about LA Noire and KoA both games were the only games developed by each company.Considering most of the work on KoA:R was done by Big Huge Games (after being bought by 38 Studios for that purpose), they can be considered to have made more than one game thus relevant to this list.
  • ProfiliaProfilia148,870
    Posted on 15 December 14 at 16:39Permalink
    dropK1CK ninJA said:Profilia said:Cavia's last game, Nier, should be on this list.Such a good game. I need to watch all the cut scenes. The speedrun a achievement right from the get go killed some of the fun.If you know where to go, you can watch all of the cutscenes and beat the game in under 15 hours easily. I did it in a little under 11 hours. wink
  • Daelus1Daelus1471,766
    Posted on 15 December 14 at 16:55Permalink
    Only played 2 of them; Darksiders I played for a few hours before I got extremely bored and have never returned.

On the other hand, KoA is a far better than average RPG; it is a shame the company went under as they had something there.
  • troyoytroyoy632,984
    Posted on 15 December 14 at 17:30Permalink
    Sand box games and shooter games are the best IMO. 50 was a lot better than I thought it would be. And Saboteur? Well that game just kicked ass and we need more games like that ! I miss THQ and games like the first Red Faction.
    If you dont believe I have 10 xboxes check vic viper cheev for oct 28th 2012 in otomedius excellent.
  • PointySpredPointySpred333,685
    Posted on 15 December 14 at 17:34Permalink
    What if at the end of oddworld, Abe finds a hydro thunder boat and both franchises get a massively fun roboot. "Hydro thunder : Abes aquatic oddessy"
    The difference between me and you? You don't think there's a difference between me and you.
  • Posted on 15 December 14 at 17:55Permalink
    Ingen kommentar said:Ohh boy, where to start.. All these games was so incredible!! it's so sad they had to closed, and not enough ppl supported them when they came out with the respective games. Instead we support EA (Fifa, BF NFS) Activision (COD) Ubisoft (Ass Cred, Far Cry) every time, though it's merly the same game every yeah :O

I would love to see a sequel to anyone of these games every time soon.
    Sure, if they sold ridicolous numbers these studios probably would have survived but for most of them it wasn't really that they were commercial failures or that a bit higher sales could have saved them.
    Here is the story for these games as far as I remember:

Halo Wars:
    All of Ensembles games have been very popular. It is a mistery why MS panned them. Halo Wars was as far as I know commercially successful and criticially pretty well acclaimed. It may be due to creative differencies between MS and Ensemble since Halo Wars was planned as a non Halo more hardcore RTS and MS forced them to slap the Halo Branding on it and release it as a 360 game.

LA Noire:
    I think over the process of making the game Team Bondi and Rockstar noticed that this style of games with the synced actors was way too expensive. They realised that it was commercially not viable to do games of that style, since you need good actors for every character which cost a lot of money also motion capturing them is not easy and cheap.

Split second:
    This was due to a shift in Disneys business strategy were they planned to give up on developing core games altogether. Thats why the new Star Wars titles won't be made or published by Disney themselves but licensed to EA, which gave them to Dice and others to develop games. With this new business plan they panned that had been developing core games for them, such as Black Rock or Propaganda games, who have been working on a sequel to the Turok reboot.

Kingdoms of Amalur:
    The game was supposed to become a MMORPG but after EA realised the MMORPG craze was over as their "The Old Republic" flopped they pulled the plug and decided the game should be reworked to a Skyrim-like game. MMORPGs are extremely expensive but have a higher investment return through subscriptions and ingame purchases which this game didn't end up with it was doomed to be a commercial failure.
    The company then had to declare themselves bankrupt as they weren't able to repay an investment made the US-State of Rhode Island.

Darksiders:
    They went under with THQ even though the Darksiders games were quite successful. After the bankruptcy of THQ Crytek bought the studio and merged the employees into some of their own studios, so actually Virgil still exists just as a Crytek (insert geographic location) studio. The Darksiders franchise was bought by Nordic games.
    So if a new darksiders would be made by the same people it would be Crytek developed and published by Nordic.

Saboteur:
    EA is famous for the practise of buying into beloved development houses, forcing them to crank out titles and then killing them off, if they don't meet their ridicolous sales expectation. This happened to Bullfrog, Westwood and others.
    The same could have happened to Bioware, were even though their games still sold well one could notice certain signs of EAs influence and less creative freedom.
    Some studios can cope with the EA chokehold, some don't.

This is just as I remember off the top of my head but it would be cool to see a fully researched follow up article showing what was going on behind the curtains of these studios.
  • Posted on 15 December 14 at 17:55Permalink
    Dont feed the beast Pointy. Great list except for Max Payne and Noir.
    BY FYRE BE PURGED
  • Posted on 15 December 14 at 18:07Permalink
    They could have included Midway games in this list. Don't know what their last game was, probably Mortal Kombat vs. DC.
    They also developed Hydro Thunder for Nintendo 64
  • PointySpredPointySpred333,685
    Posted on 15 December 14 at 18:36Permalink
    Harbringernight said:Dont feed the beast Pointy. Great list except for Max Payne and Noir.LOLZ, everyone always so serious here. Noir I thought was decent. MP not my cup though.
    The difference between me and you? You don't think there's a difference between me and you.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.