Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

TA Top Five: Swansongs

• S P 4 C E YS P 4 C E Y277,204
    Posted on 16 December 14 at 10:12Permalink
    o BraveStaRr said:I've literally just purchased Saboteur for £2.99 based on this article and the comments I can't wait.

Also a game doesnt need replayability for it to be a good game. So many games I've played finished and put it down and felt the full impact. LA Noire is one of those. Plenty of reasons to stay in the city if you want to mop up achievements but nothing wrong with finished the story and putting it down forever.

I picked it up for next to nothing so got plenty of value out of it
    My biggest disappointment with L.A Noire was how poorly utilised the world was. A massive 1940s (?) version of LA with absolutely nothing to do in it free roam? [sad face]
    Category 3D SFA Referee - PSIA Freestyle Ski Coach with M.A in Politics. Random huh?
  • ITS ALivExITS ALivEx132,773
    Posted on 16 December 14 at 10:24Permalink
    In my books I look to the PC world.

Black Isle Studios is the epic Swan Song.
    Developing Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment and of course Fallout. Maybe more impactful was taking a chance on a small relatively new Canadian studio, and a chance themselves in publishing. That was in 1998 with Bioware and Baldur's Gate.

It's funny, both could tell stories, I'd give the edge to Black Isle. Planescape is arguably the best story in the WRPG. But Black Isle struggled in engine advancement uting Bioware's for Planescape, while Bioware continued to evolve and create theirs. I guess graphics development does outweigh story in the end, even in an RPG. headspin

Swan song's end, I'm so glad that Bethesda let Obsidian (most of former Black Isle) finish the real Fallout 3. Should have been sans the Vegas though.
    PSN: http://www.truetrophies.com/ImFunnyHow.htm
  • FiveWizzFiveWizz307,866
    Posted on 16 December 14 at 10:27Permalink
    S P 4 C E Y said:o BraveStaRr said:I've literally just purchased Saboteur for £2.99 based on this article and the comments I can't wait.

Also a game doesnt need replayability for it to be a good game. So many games I've played finished and put it down and felt the full impact. LA Noire is one of those. Plenty of reasons to stay in the city if you want to mop up achievements but nothing wrong with finished the story and putting it down forever.

I picked it up for next to nothing so got plenty of value out of it
    My biggest disappointment with L.A Noire was how poorly utilised the world was. A massive 1940s (?) version of LA with absolutely nothing to do in it free roam? [sad face]
    Yeah you're right there weren't any additional activities it was really just somewhere to drive from mission to mission. a backdrop for your car journeys.

But to be honest i also find almost all open world cities underutilised just shells for buildings to take up space and something to look at/fake windows and doors etc.

You're definitely right. Obviosuly GTA did it better with buldings to enter / shops to rob / clothing stores etc but I still think almost all feel pretty empty.

But yeah i feel you.
  • Posted on 16 December 14 at 11:44Permalink
    Real happy to see Kingdoms of Amalur on this list. That game is fantastic and I often lament that we'll likely never see another in the franchise.
  • Posted on 16 December 14 at 17:09Permalink
    I'm glad 38 Studios made it up here. Curt Schilling deserves more recognition for a pretty good game that everyone labeled as average.

I would have loved to see what else they could've done because Amalur was the only game they ever made.
  • Posted on 16 December 14 at 22:53Permalink
    Wow, this article is in need of some serious editing and proofreading. That said, I agree with it on most points.
    There is no "I" in "team." There also isn't a "u," a "we," an "us," or a "them," so who's playing?
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.