Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Morally Dubious Achievements

• TaeglinTaeglin530,011
    Posted on 03 June 14 at 03:56Permalink
    Only missing the Duke Dookie. Maybe I'll start that next...
    TOO Taeglin tooclan.net
  • PhilmnatorPhilmnator245,824
    Posted on 03 June 14 at 04:21Permalink
    I have a good number of these…and now I want to nab some from Overlord II lol
  • DillionDayDillionDay267,264
    Posted on 03 June 14 at 05:30Permalink
    I love these TA Top Five. Especially when I agree with them.
  • GREGO McGEEGREGO McGEE2,127,616
    Posted on 03 June 14 at 06:02Permalink
    Good List. Agree with All. Also worth a mention…

Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox 360)Altruist AcolyteThe Altruist Acolyte achievement in Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox 360) worth 8 pointsDeliver an unsuspecting victim to the Altruist Cult.

Have to admit, it was kind of messed up… lol
  • L33T SONICL33T SONIC1,037,207
    Posted on 03 June 14 at 07:00Permalink
    TA, you forgot this:
    The DarknessRomanticThe Romantic achievement in The Darkness worth 12 pointsReal guys stick around for their ladies
    Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.
  • Posted on 03 June 14 at 08:12Permalink
    CASS190684 said:
    I felt really bad doing Dastardly laugh I really didn't want to do it!
    Same here.... until I did what Lucky did. I was helping this lady, and she set highway robbers onto me... it did not end well for any of them... hate to say, I did drag this particular person around for a little while too.... after I discovered that you could actually swing a person around behind your horse when dragging them. clap shock I experimented with the actual range you could get someone to bounce when being dragged by your horse. It looked really really painful. smile
  • Posted on 03 June 14 at 08:20Permalink
    Morangotico said:
    i get the RDR achiev using a nun.

and i didnt look in the achievs list to know /badass
    shockshock You officially scare me.... toast
  • Strategy OneStrategy One663,481
    Posted on 03 June 14 at 08:36Permalink
    Hahahahah I unlocked all top 5 except 1, just shows I play the right games laugh
    Whos stupid idea was it to call Xbox One Xbone? Lame.
  • Posted on 03 June 14 at 08:38Permalink
    Hmm... I definitely know I'll never be playing South Park now... otherwise though, this Top 5 makes for a good psychological/emotional evaluation of how we game. Anyone else think that? More of what I mean, what actions in a game are we able to distance ourselves from and just do it without being mentally involved, and what actions do we actually feel 'bad' about doing, even though it's virtual reality...?
  • Posted on 03 June 14 at 09:59Permalink
    WarmedxMints said:
    Really? I don't have a problem with any of them. You know it's not real, don't you? laugh
    Of course I know it isn't real. I would have much rather had an achievement for killing the Human while playing as the dog though. laugh
    Does this smell like chloroform to you?
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 03 June 14 at 10:05Permalink
    Shadow 00 Fox said:
    Hmm... I definitely know I'll never be playing South Park now... otherwise though, this Top 5 makes for a good psychological/emotional evaluation of how we game. Anyone else think that? More of what I mean, what actions in a game are we able to distance ourselves from and just do it without being mentally involved, and what actions do we actually feel 'bad' about doing, even though it's virtual reality...?
    It is the game designers you want to look at! We are not expecting to club baby seals in the face when we purchase a game. laugh
  • TotyToeTotyToe199,823
    Posted on 03 June 14 at 10:17Permalink
    As soon as I saw this title I knew Dastardly would be number 1! Not only is it morally dubious, but I love achievements for doing something different, something not necessary to win the game.
  • Team BretherTeam Brether1,034,267
    Posted on 03 June 14 at 10:29Permalink
    Can I vote for the next top 5 to be 'Top 5 most annoying unobtainables'. I don't care what is in the list, I just wanna see the rage in the comments laugh
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 03 June 14 at 10:55Permalink
    As much as I hate to give CoD credit for anything, the No Russian mission in Modern Warfare 2 was pretty brutal the first time playing it. It was bad enough that the first part of the mission was removed from the game in Russia.

For those that don't know what I'm referring to, you walk through an airport slaughtering innocent civilians with a light machine gun. It just felt wrong to me, and I don't normally care about stuff like that. I'll gladly kill civilians in GTA but doing it as a US Marine just isn't right.
  • Legohead 1977Legohead 19771,122,720
    Posted on 03 June 14 at 13:21Permalink
    Dastardly didn't really phase me, but looking at a few posts here I can see moments I didn't enjoy:

I felt guilty finishing off the buffalo in RDR, I refused to fire during the airport sequence in CoD and it took me ages to bring myself round to delivering a person to the cult in GTA V!
    Legohead 1977
  • WarmedxMintsWarmedxMints903,419
    Posted on 03 June 14 at 13:46Permalink
    Dastardly didn't phase me at all, in fact it made me smile. Because when you are married, it's easy to pretend the woman is your mother-in-law laugh
    http://www.trueachievements.com/gtasc-2014.htm
  • SashamorningSashamorning1,874,138
    Posted on 03 June 14 at 13:58Permalink
    MotoX Champ88 said:
    As much as I hate to give CoD credit for anything, the No Russian mission in Modern Warfare 2 was pretty brutal the first time playing it. It was bad enough that the first part of the mission was removed from the game in Russia.
    Remove the spoiler!! wink

That sequence could be completely skipped through a setting that you had to choose before the game began. My wife also mentioned this, but I would have been horrified if this had been tied to an achievement. (Unless maybe it's for going through without harming a civilian.) But still, forcing someone to act through that scene for an achievement--even by being a pacifist--would be wrong.

In my mind, that level was completely unnecessary, and only included to cause controversy.

It reminded me of Postal, and that was plenty.
    Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Live like it's heaven on earth.
  • Posted on 03 June 14 at 14:22Permalink
    The Orange BoxFratricideThe Fratricide achievement in The Orange Box worth 6 pointsDo whatever it takes to survive.

Need I say more?
  • SashamorningSashamorning1,874,138
    Posted on 03 June 14 at 15:26Permalink
    JRPGsForTheWin said:
    The Orange BoxFratricideThe Fratricide achievement in The Orange Box worth 6 pointsDo whatever it takes to survive.

Need I say more?
    [**GASP**]

Oh God...

I still have nightmares about that. I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight now.

cry cry
    Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Live like it's heaven on earth.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.