Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Gaming Mechanics Of This Gen

• Nexus GruntNexus Grunt162,221
  • Posted on 23 February 14 at 17:49
    The only thing I might have added to this list would be Music Games, but they burned out so fast and hard that their impact probably won't carry forward.
    TrueAchievements Editorial Manager | Twitter: @osubluejacket | "In Soviet Russia, game plays you!"
  • fighterx93chippfighterx93chipp1,369,198
    Posted on 23 February 14 at 17:51
    Awesome!!
  • madmaxeymadmaxey453,166
    Posted on 23 February 14 at 17:57
    Achievements ftw!
    Hoohaw!
  • RickyGBirdRickyGBird394,462
    Posted on 23 February 14 at 17:58, Edited on 23 February 14 at 18:02 by RickyGBird
    One game mechanic that I always find frustrating is AI teammates roll

Honourable mention for Multiplayer Parties and Party Chat? Or was Parties available on Xbox? Can't remember.
    Previously on Alan Wake...
  • Posted on 23 February 14 at 17:58
    this is the first list I am almost in complete accord. the only changes I'd make would be to replace #5 with "drop in coop"
  • Posted on 23 February 14 at 17:59
    Nothing with Dark Souls. Another perfect Top 5!
    BIG MEECH
  • o DEEVIUS oo DEEVIUS o625,880
    Posted on 23 February 14 at 18:05
    ^ This
    Let me find peace in my own heart and save me from my enemies.
  • Posted on 23 February 14 at 18:12
    Disagree with the collectables, i hate all collectables. Except i didn't mind the ones in arkham city as it was fun figuring out how to get them!
  • BrokenKnghtBrokenKnght342,279
    Posted on 23 February 14 at 18:27
    Clown Syndr0me said:
    Disagree with the collectables, i hate all collectables. Except i didn't mind the ones in arkham city as it was fun figuring out how to get them!
    I hate collectables for the sake of being a collectable. The audio diaries in Bioshock at least had a purpose, they gave background on the universe; or perhaps the skulls in Halo, giving you the option to alter gameplay. Collectibles like Cog tags in Gears of War, or flags in Assassins Creed serve no purpose.
  • Posted on 23 February 14 at 18:29
    My favourite mechanic of this generation was scooter from borderlands :-D
    www.thexboxforums.co.uk
  • Posted on 23 February 14 at 18:30
    Gears Of War 2's Horde is my Fav thing of this gen.
    It's why Epic will always have a place as a top dev.
  • sm182sm182841,512
    Posted on 23 February 14 at 18:30
    How about patches? They seem quite important with all the buggy games being released nowadays.
  • Lefty24Lefty24939,066
    Posted on 23 February 14 at 18:32
    2. Multiplayer Perks, Killstreaks, Leveling, and Rewards
    I fail to see how these are good mechanics.

- Leveling usually entails massive grinds in the 50+ hour range. Who wants that when there are plenty of other games to experience. If the game is good, people will keep playing it. Leveling is lazy development and shows lack of ingenuity, just like pointless collectibles.
    - Killstreaks. Encourages camping and spawn camping, teammates blocking doors and narrow pathways preventing tactical teamwork, etc. Again, how is that good for games?
    - Multiplayer perks. Great, so someone can pick heartbeat sensors or invisibility. To what end? More camping.

What happened to multiplayer gaming where success was measured in skill, reflexes, teamwork, and tactics; not sitting in a spot waiting for someone to pass in front of the crosshairs to add a tally to the killstreak reward. Levels in games mean nothing any more. Either you boost your levels or resort to killstreak tactics to level up.

These are your best mechanics? No, these are the poisons of multiplayer gaming.
  • Posted on 23 February 14 at 18:33
    I love and need achievements in my games. but I think they also can have a negative influence over the way we play our games today.

Now players find them self's playing the achievements, not the game.

Seriously 3.0 on Gears of War 3 would be a good example of this.
  • RickyGBirdRickyGBird394,462
    Posted on 23 February 14 at 18:35
    sm182 said:
    How about patches? They seem quite important with all the buggy games being released nowadays.
    Double-edged sword. I tend to believe that publishers/developers push out games earlier and with less quality checking, due to assurance that they can always patch it later on. It gives us some poor initial user experience. It has also made me wait for a month after release, so that I know I can play a game without save vanishing facepalm

That said, games are a lot more complicated than the days of 8 or 32-bit!
    Previously on Alan Wake...
  • Maukki TMaukki T141,946
    Posted on 23 February 14 at 18:40
    BioShock's audio logs are inherited from it's big brother System Shock.
  • GtechApocalypseGtechApocalypse2,571,411
    Posted on 23 February 14 at 18:45
    Great list!!!!
    Gtech
  • xPut Name HerexxPut Name Herex1,577,122
    Posted on 23 February 14 at 18:51
    Rikk Bird said:
    sm182 said:
    Double-edged sword. I tend to believe that publishers/developers push out games earlier and with less quality checking, due to assurance that they can always patch it later on. It gives us some poor initial user experience. It has also made me wait for a month after release, so that I know I can play a game without save vanishing facepalm

That said, games are a lot more complicated than the days of 8 or 32-bit!
    And furthermore, something that tends to be forgotten when we look at the past with rose-tinted glasses, there were plenty of buggy games before "nowadays". The never seemed as prevalent because, due to the bugginess and the fact they couldn't be fixed easily without a recall of everything, they would just never sell and fall to the bargain of bargain bins.

Plus, some companies clearly use patches as free publicity, seeing as how every gaming site reports on even the smallest of patches nowadays. So if they release a game in even a perfect state, but then release a patch saying "fixed an issue where the main character's foot would step into the wall on level "Big Bang", suddenly everyone is running an article putting their game on the front page, and at least one person is thinking "hey, they fixed it up and its a bit cheaper now, I'll go purchase it!". Patches have become as much about good business strategy as much as they are about fixing things.
    Gamers have only two hobbies: playing games, and complaining about those games.
  • MAH BOI 420MAH BOI 420585,326
    Posted on 23 February 14 at 19:00
    This....isn't a serious list, is it?
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads