Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Gaming Mechanics Of This Gen

• Posted on 23 February 14 at 19:16, Edited on 23 February 14 at 19:16 by osubluejacket
    MAH BOI 420 said:
    This....isn't a serious list, is it?
    I love constructive criticism.

If you think you can write a better list, feel free to apply to the team!

Seriously, we're looking for Editorial and Feature writers, so if you'd like to write for the team, be sure to click that link!
    TrueAchievements Editorial Manager | Twitter: @osubluejacket | "In Soviet Russia, game plays you!"
  • YaziteYazite395,547
    Posted on 23 February 14 at 19:22
    Yay achievements!
  • Posted on 23 February 14 at 19:23
    nah, i don't really like achievements....
    "music is my religion" - Jimi Hendrix
  • JMJimmyJMJimmy456,167
    Posted on 23 February 14 at 19:24, Edited on 23 February 14 at 19:33 by JMJimmy
    Horde Mode(s): This is one of the first game mechanics in video games, survive against an ever growing number/strength/speed/etc of enemy. Goes way back to Space Invaders.

Audio Logs, Intelligence Dossiers, Secret Files: These are not of this generation. System Shock 2 is a perfect example where you'd pick up data logs which revealed back-stories, romances, and all sorts of interesting information about the world you were in.

Drop-In Co-op: Most definitely not of this generation - while there are probably older examples this feature was the hallmark of early arcades (the stores) and in particular the Sega Genesis system put a strong emphasis on it in their games. Many of them ported to this generation (Gunstar Heroes, Double Dragon, Streets of Rage, etc)

Cover-based shooters: I'll let the wiki entry tell you how it started in 1986 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cover_system

Multiplayer Perks, Killstreaks, Leveling, and Rewards: No... just no. The only thing that was unique about this was the application of classic RPG elements to a shooter (which had already been done in varying forms in the 80s and 90s). I remember old dialup servers which held a single, persistent game world, which had this sort of system - granted it was text/ASCII based but hey, what did you expect when connected with a 9600 baud modem.

Edit: btw, I did read the disclaimer about not being first and just refined in this gen but these really were not. System Shock 2 > anything in this generation with regards to audio logs. The actual mecahnics of cover systems have not changed much since the early days - just the graphics and the trigger maps. Drop in coop cannot get more refined than "press start to join" of the arcade/Sega/NES/etc.
    Life, it's funny that way.
  • ReilixReilix127,807
    Posted on 23 February 14 at 19:38
    Toots McCleggan said:
    My favourite mechanic of this generation was scooter from borderlands :-D
    Oh my god this should have been on the honorable mention list! You sir just made my day! Funniest thing I have read so far today.
    Reilix
  • Posted on 23 February 14 at 19:40
    osubluejacket said:
    MAH BOI 420 said:
    This....isn't a serious list, is it?

Seriously, we're looking for Editorial and Feature writers, so if you'd like to write for the team, be sure to click that link!
    JMJimmy said:
    Horde Mode(s): This is one of the first game mechanics in video games, survive against an ever growing number/strength/speed/etc of enemy. Goes way back to Space Invaders.

Audio Logs, Intelligence Dossiers, Secret Files: These are not of this generation. System Shock 2 is a perfect example where you'd pick up data logs which revealed back-stories, romances, and all sorts of interesting information about the world you were in.

Drop-In Co-op: Most definitely not of this generation - while there are probably older examples this feature was the hallmark of early arcades (the stores) and in particular the Sega Genesis system put a strong emphasis on it in their games. Many of them ported to this generation (Gunstar Heroes, Double Dragon, Streets of Rage, etc)

Cover-based shooters: I'll let the wiki entry tell you how it started in 1986 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cover_system

Multiplayer Perks, Killstreaks, Leveling, and Rewards: No... just no. The only thing that was unique about this was the application of classic RPG elements to a shooter (which had already been done in varying forms in the 80s and 90s). I remember old dialup servers which held a single, persistent game world, which had this sort of system - granted it was text/ASCII based but hey, what did you expect when connected with a 9600 baud modem.

Edit: btw, I did read the disclaimer about not being first and just refined in this gen but these really were not. System Shock 2 > anything in this generation with regards to audio logs. The actual mecahnics of cover systems have not changed much since the early days - just the graphics and the trigger maps. Drop in coop cannot get more refined than "press start to join" of the arcade/Sega/NES/etc.
    Can we get a sync here, please??? toast
  • Chris1984ukChris1984uk981,592
    Posted on 23 February 14 at 19:44, Edited on 23 February 14 at 19:45 by Chris1984uk
    I vote next "Top 5" is

"Top 5 Xbox 360 games that doesnt include GoW/Halo/CoD/Battlefiel/ME"

Every week is the same.

Toots McCleggan said:
    Lol, I clicked the link thinking "Damnit Chuck Greene better get a mention!"
  • Posted on 23 February 14 at 19:49, Edited on 23 February 14 at 19:52 by MosesChristus
    lx VAULT xl said:
    Nothing with Dark Souls. Another perfect Top 5!
    Better get help! laugh

DLC developed quite worrying forms, IMO!
    Actually achievements did too!
    Don't open your eyes you won't like what you see! The blind have been blessed with security!
  • JMJimmyJMJimmy456,167
    Posted on 23 February 14 at 19:54
    tornprince2012 said:
    Can we get a sync here, please??? toast
    A writer I am not. Editor maybe but definitely no writer. toast
  • Posted on 23 February 14 at 20:33, Edited on 23 February 14 at 20:34 by osubluejacket
    Chris1984uk said:
    I vote next "Top 5" is

Every week is the same

TrueAchievements Editorial Manager | Twitter: @osubluejacket | "In Soviet Russia, game plays you!"
  • RickyGBirdRickyGBird316,736
    Posted on 23 February 14 at 20:43, Edited on 23 February 14 at 20:52 by RickyGBird
    JMJimmy said:
    That wiki article stats that Gears was considered as revolutionary to cover-based mechanics. It really did refine from the foundations laid out by the likes of Kill Switch, especially for 3D cover-based shooters. I suppose that it was a natural step anyhow, due to the increase of graphics/animations etc, within 3D games over the years.

Edit: Just to add, I enjoy these lists! Keep'em up!
    Previously on Alan Wake...
  • Muska FlipMuska Flip180,312
    Posted on 23 February 14 at 20:51
    Another nice list!:)
  • JMJimmyJMJimmy456,167
    Posted on 23 February 14 at 21:10
    Rikk Bird said:
    JMJimmy said:
    That wiki article stats that Gears was considered as revolutionary to cover-based mechanics. It really did refine from the foundations laid out by the likes of Kill Switch, especially for 3D cover-based shooters. I suppose that it was a natural step anyhow, due to the increase of graphics/animations etc, within 3D games over the years.

Edit: Just to add, I enjoy these lists! Keep'em up!
    "Considered revolutionary" and "actually revolutionary" are two very different things. If you know anything about how these cover systems work in the code, Gears was nothing special.

Each set of terrain which is interactable has a trigger zone where you are able to press a button to trigger an animation. It doesn't even have to be cover, a chest you open will use the same mechanics. Just like when you hover your mouse over a button, it has a zone defined which listens for the click events and performs actions based on which click event triggers. That's all gears did - the way they used cover in the design of their game was an excellent use of the mechanic but it is really nothing special from a code perspective.

Gears design = pretty good. Gears mechanics = rather boring. One of the mechanics that Gears did introduce which was revolutionary was the concept of a speed reload. The ability to influence your reload speed outside of some arbitrary stat was a unique mechanic and one I suspect will be repeated in many games to come.
  • ArtemasArtemas163,157
    Posted on 23 February 14 at 21:14
    Toots McCleggan said:
    toast

Some of the items on this list are not mechanics...
  • Chris1984ukChris1984uk981,592
    Posted on 23 February 14 at 21:27
    osubluejacket said:
    Chris1984uk said:
    I vote next "Top 5" is

Every week is the same

Thank you for your personal reply. Must have had a lot of thought go into that.

Ooooh If I apply can I campaign to get rid of the stupid title "Easter Eggs" and rename them something meaningful and not incorrectly used? That'd be swell

*** Spoiler - click to reveal ***
  • Posted on 23 February 14 at 21:28
    "However, with Mass Effect, most of the key decisions mattered and were carried over from each of the earlier games."

Hey, I love Mass Effect, but I have to ask, what key decisions actually mattered? Most of your choices throughout the series either get tiny references in games 2 & 3 (generally through an e-mail or as some minor war asset in game 3) or they are ignored. About the only thing of any real impact would be how you handled Tail's and Legion's loyalty missions and handled their conflict on the Normandy in terms of what options you have for resolving the Geth and Quarian conflict.
  • Posted on 23 February 14 at 21:29
    How about the top 5 tracks/cars in a racing game, or something along those lines to break up the boringness that is every article involving a shooter sleep

#justsaying smile
    Eels Forever
  • Posted on 23 February 14 at 21:34
    Wait, no Kinect ? How could you ?!? Nah, just kidding ^^
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 23 February 14 at 21:52
    i agree with this list spec ops,gears,halo and call of duty hands down clap
    Fallout3476v2
  • MugenKairoMugenKairo254,202
    Posted on 23 February 14 at 21:52
    Collectibles should be a dishonorable mention unless they actually contribute to something. Warp was an excellent example where the collectibles allowed you to upgrade your little lethal hero. Otherwise you are collecting random objects for absolutely no reason.

Glad Vanquish got a mention, that game got everything right.
    'We all make choices, but in the end those choices make us'
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.