Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Gaming Mechanics Of This Gen

• Posted on 23 February 14 at 21:52Permalink
    osubluejacket said:
    The only thing I might have added to this list would be Music Games, but they burned out so fast and hard that their impact probably won't carry forward.
    Rocksmith introduced me to the concept of plugging my guitar into my Xbox, which I love.
    "Can't a man even aspire to an orgasm without getting shot at these days?"
  • BadBoydie360BadBoydie360206,887
    Posted on 23 February 14 at 22:08Permalink
    When does "This Gen" become "last Gen" and "Next Gen" become "This Gen"? wink
    Yippie Ki-Yay
  • SmedsSmeds297,348
    Posted on 23 February 14 at 22:18Permalink
    osubluejacket said:
    The only thing I might have added to this list would be Music Games, but they burned out so fast and hard that their impact probably won't carry forward.
    Maybe its difference in tastes but I have consistently found myself going back to Rock Band, albeit in the newest iteration each time. I think that, if you have any interest in playing an instrument, they have a long lasting effect. Sadly I doubt many people really feel that way cry.
    I'm entitled to my opinion.
  • CanaDa FwendCanaDa Fwend570,527
    Posted on 23 February 14 at 22:31Permalink
    Hate: Collectibles, Persistence Games, Multiplayer Perks

General Dislike: DLC, Cover Based Shooters

Kinda Like: Drop In Co-Op, Horde Modes

I'm A Slave To: Achievements
  • RedDeadKBIIRedDeadKBII332,166
    Posted on 23 February 14 at 23:08Permalink
    Lefty24 said:
    2. Multiplayer Perks, Killstreaks, Leveling, and Rewards
    I fail to see how these are good mechanics.

- Leveling usually entails massive grinds in the 50+ hour range. Who wants that when there are plenty of other games to experience. If the game is good, people will keep playing it. Leveling is lazy development and shows lack of ingenuity, just like pointless collectibles.
    - Killstreaks. Encourages camping and spawn camping, teammates blocking doors and narrow pathways preventing tactical teamwork, etc. Again, how is that good for games?
    - Multiplayer perks. Great, so someone can pick heartbeat sensors or invisibility. To what end? More camping.

What happened to multiplayer gaming where success was measured in skill, reflexes, teamwork, and tactics; not sitting in a spot waiting for someone to pass in front of the crosshairs to add a tally to the killstreak reward. Levels in games mean nothing any more. Either you boost your levels or resort to killstreak tactics to level up.

These are your best mechanics? No, these are the poisons of multiplayer gaming.
    You make a very strong argument. Kudos to you, sir!
  • RedDeadKBIIRedDeadKBII332,166
    Posted on 23 February 14 at 23:10Permalink
    LosersVoteParty said:
    I'm A Slave To: Achievements
    I prefer to think of it as if I'm under a spell of an enchanting seductress, or something.
  • Mayhem64Mayhem6493,944
    Posted on 23 February 14 at 23:31Permalink
    I agree completely with Lefty... in-game perks suck and just reward those with massive amounts of time to spare/grind, and not necessarily skill. At least the perks in GoW3 had no effect on gameplay, and why I preferred playing the GoW over CoD - skill is more evident because everyone starts with the same weapons.
    Lie with passion and be forever damned...
  • vaux8vaux8133,562
    Posted on 23 February 14 at 23:43Permalink
    MAZE RUNNER 7 said:
    I love and need achievements in my games. but I think they also can have a negative influence over the way we play our games today.

Now players find them self's playing the achievements, not the game.

Seriously 3.0 on Gears of War 3 would be a good example of this.
    so true, some games are spoiled due to achiements, like you haven't accomplished a game if not all achievements are achieved, well like multiplayer achievements, should be a choice to take it or leave it,

still could't agree more, love my achievements and need them, hooked

another thing with games that is annoying, is the choice of language, like microsoft has this ridiculus idea to relate the language on your game to your ip adress or country, get rid of
    the regions and let the player chose, at the end you think you get more, but actually get less, lose the restrictions, now that would be progress, now all is fair in gaming is depending on where you live
  • JasoX FINJasoX FIN747,324
    Posted on 23 February 14 at 23:45Permalink
    BadBoydie360 said:
    Maybe when "next gen" is available worldwide?
  • Capn BeavCapn Beav660,488
    Posted on 23 February 14 at 23:59Permalink
    BadBoydie360 said:
    My friends and I have dropped "Next gen" in favor of "New gen." We'll call it "This gen" when it has some games to play. laugh
  • CormacCormac444,423
    Posted on 23 February 14 at 23:59Permalink
    Persistence is the best on that list but it hasn't really been fully realised or implemented yet.

Cover based shooters are old hat now. Drop in co-op is neat but hardly a masterstroke. Both DLC and Achievements have run their course and come out the other side reeking of corporate greed and over exposure.

I thought this would be a study of individual games with unique approaches to gameplay. Something like Minecraft would be a prime example of how deep game mechanics can keep people playing beyond the initial novelty value and despite the fact there is no end game available.

You chose to focus mainly on gimmicks. Shit, you could have put Kinect in there!
    Put it on vibrate.
  • S P 4 C E YS P 4 C E Y304,641
    Posted on 24 February 14 at 00:09Permalink
    Lefty24 said:
    2. Multiplayer Perks, Killstreaks, Leveling, and Rewards
    I fail to see how these are good mechanics.

- Leveling usually entails massive grinds in the 50+ hour range. Who wants that when there are plenty of other games to experience. If the game is good, people will keep playing it. Leveling is lazy development and shows lack of ingenuity, just like pointless collectibles.
    - Killstreaks. Encourages camping and spawn camping, teammates blocking doors and narrow pathways preventing tactical teamwork, etc. Again, how is that good for games?
    - Multiplayer perks. Great, so someone can pick heartbeat sensors or invisibility. To what end? More camping.

What happened to multiplayer gaming where success was measured in skill, reflexes, teamwork, and tactics; not sitting in a spot waiting for someone to pass in front of the crosshairs to add a tally to the killstreak reward. Levels in games mean nothing any more. Either you boost your levels or resort to killstreak tactics to level up.

These are your best mechanics? No, these are the poisons of multiplayer gaming.
    Once upon a time (Halo 2, Halo 3) we had competitive MP where ranking was awarded for skill. Now we have experience and prestige systems that simply awards game time and experience.

It's killed the competitive element of MP for me.
    Category 4D SFA Referee - PSIA Freestyle Ski Coach with M.A in Politics. Random huh?
  • Aj6627Aj6627171,740
    Posted on 24 February 14 at 00:29Permalink
    I disagree with DLC being included. On the 360 it was more a means making money in the grand scheme of things than it was for just adding content.

It was more a tool for adding content(as opposed to adding for purposes of monetary gain) on the original Xbox.

I'm pretty sure that more DLC was free than paid on the original Xbox.
  • AlangelusAlangelus289,874
    Posted on 24 February 14 at 02:06Permalink
    I have to wonder, if people are just going to slate those who work hard for this site with lazy, useless comments, then why are they here at all? Feel free to stop poisoning our atmosphere with your mundane drivel and kindly jog on.
  • SeaOfBeardsSeaOfBeards373,218
    Posted on 24 February 14 at 02:09Permalink
    JMJimmy said:
    Horde Mode(s): This is one of the first game mechanics in video games, survive against an ever growing number/strength/speed/etc of enemy. Goes way back to Space Invaders.

Audio Logs, Intelligence Dossiers, Secret Files: These are not of this generation. System Shock 2 is a perfect example where you'd pick up data logs which revealed back-stories, romances, and all sorts of interesting information about the world you were in.

Drop-In Co-op: Most definitely not of this generation - while there are probably older examples this feature was the hallmark of early arcades (the stores) and in particular the Sega Genesis system put a strong emphasis on it in their games. Many of them ported to this generation (Gunstar Heroes, Double Dragon, Streets of Rage, etc)

Cover-based shooters: I'll let the wiki entry tell you how it started in 1986 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cover_system

Multiplayer Perks, Killstreaks, Leveling, and Rewards: No... just no. The only thing that was unique about this was the application of classic RPG elements to a shooter (which had already been done in varying forms in the 80s and 90s). I remember old dialup servers which held a single, persistent game world, which had this sort of system - granted it was text/ASCII based but hey, what did you expect when connected with a 9600 baud modem.

Edit: btw, I did read the disclaimer about not being first and just refined in this gen but these really were not. System Shock 2 > anything in this generation with regards to audio logs. The actual mecahnics of cover systems have not changed much since the early days - just the graphics and the trigger maps. Drop in coop cannot get more refined than "press start to join" of the arcade/Sega/NES/etc.
    The way you write is very hostile. It's almost as if you're daring anyone to disagree with you so you can get into some huge debate over opinions. Yes, what you wrote was opinion. Not fact. The article clearly states none of these were "firsts" but refined. And YES, regardless of your OPINION on System Shock, most gamers agree these have all been refined. I expect you to come back with some wall of text about how your a programmer or a designer or you know more then me about gaming despite both of us probably being the same age (judging by your writing about modems and the 80's.) I'm not coming back to this.

I'm just letting you know you come off as very arrogant and hostile. Relax. It's just gaming, no one is going to rip your head off over it.
  • coipcoip189,413
    Posted on 24 February 14 at 02:20Permalink
    "Persistence over Games". This can be traced back to Shenmue and Shenmue 2 on Sega Dreamcast. What you did in Shenmue carried over into Shenmue 2.
  • mosin360mosin360706,152
    Posted on 24 February 14 at 02:21Permalink
    I would say get rid of the MP junk and add in how the West became the driving force for everything.

I think the addition of arcade games is worth a big mention as well.
    Videos I made of Xbox games on Windows 8.1 - https://www.youtube.com/user/mosindesire
  • Posted on 24 February 14 at 03:43Permalink
    Awesome list. Who wouldn't have achievements on top! smile
  • MEGAMAN962MEGAMAN962350,655
    Posted on 24 February 14 at 04:28Permalink
    Rikk Bird said:
    sm182 said:
    How about patches? They seem quite important with all the buggy games being released nowadays.
    Double-edged sword. I tend to believe that publishers/developers push out games earlier and with less quality checking, due to assurance that they can always patch it later on. It gives us some poor initial user experience. It has also made me wait for a month after release, so that I know I can play a game without save vanishing facepalm

That said, games are a lot more complicated than the days of 8 or 32-bit!
    I've felt for a while now that this is the point. While some level of testing to smooth out major bugs must be done in-house, it seems to me that pushing out games that are not quite ready is a way to get the massive community of gamers to test for the bugs that "slipped through."

We are the final testers. We find bugs, go on the forums and complain, and they fix it with a patch. It's a way for them to get the money for making the game while cutting costs off of the final part of testing the games. "Good enough, send it out" seems to be most companies' policy.
  • PURE HATE MIPURE HATE MI381,795
    Posted on 24 February 14 at 04:34Permalink
    Zombi3 Grim said:
    JMJimmy said:
    Horde Mode(s): This is one of the first game mechanics in video games, survive against an ever growing number/strength/speed/etc of enemy. Goes way back to Space Invaders.

Audio Logs, Intelligence Dossiers, Secret Files: These are not of this generation. System Shock 2 is a perfect example where you'd pick up data logs which revealed back-stories, romances, and all sorts of interesting information about the world you were in.

Drop-In Co-op: Most definitely not of this generation - while there are probably older examples this feature was the hallmark of early arcades (the stores) and in particular the Sega Genesis system put a strong emphasis on it in their games. Many of them ported to this generation (Gunstar Heroes, Double Dragon, Streets of Rage, etc)

Cover-based shooters: I'll let the wiki entry tell you how it started in 1986 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cover_system

Multiplayer Perks, Killstreaks, Leveling, and Rewards: No... just no. The only thing that was unique about this was the application of classic RPG elements to a shooter (which had already been done in varying forms in the 80s and 90s). I remember old dialup servers which held a single, persistent game world, which had this sort of system - granted it was text/ASCII based but hey, what did you expect when connected with a 9600 baud modem.

Edit: btw, I did read the disclaimer about not being first and just refined in this gen but these really were not. System Shock 2 > anything in this generation with regards to audio logs. The actual mecahnics of cover systems have not changed much since the early days - just the graphics and the trigger maps. Drop in coop cannot get more refined than "press start to join" of the arcade/Sega/NES/etc.
    The way you write is very hostile. It's almost as if you're daring anyone to disagree with you so you can get into some huge debate over opinions. Yes, what you wrote was opinion. Not fact. The article clearly states none of these were "firsts" but refined. And YES, regardless of your OPINION on System Shock, most gamers agree these have all been refined. I expect you to come back with some wall of text about how your a programmer or a designer or you know more then me about gaming despite both of us probably being the same age (judging by your writing about modems and the 80's.) I'm not coming back to this.

I'm just letting you know you come off as very arrogant and hostile. Relax. It's just gaming, no one is going to rip your head off over it.
    This. Here we get a well-written and put together article, that I believe is a pretty enjoyable read.

You come in here trying to poke a hole in every point just to prove how superior your knowledge is of all things technology. The problem with your arguments, however, is that the writer of this article clearly states: "Whilst it remains true that not all the mechanics were first discovered during this generation, after all there is very little that is original, they were further developed, refined, and popularized to the point that we almost take them for granted".

So while it's super cool that the first cover-based shooter was apparently in 1986, this article isn't about features that are NEW in this generation. Are you honestly going to say that the Gears of War-style cover system isn't a major improvement on what's been used previously, and that it wasn't influential enough to be used in several games afterwards?
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.