Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Gaming Mechanics Of This Gen

• Posted on 24 February 14 at 04:38Permalink
    DLC is a gaming mechanic???
  • Posted on 24 February 14 at 05:53Permalink
    I disagree with some of the article but you got it right in the end. Achievements/trophies was the biggest step forward in game history in terms of increasing game replay value as well as helping or encouraging players to really explore the total breadth of a game.
  • JMJimmyJMJimmy455,795
    Posted on 24 February 14 at 06:01Permalink
    ii DEMIGODz said:
    So while it's super cool that the first cover-based shooter was apparently in 1986, this article isn't about features that are NEW in this generation. Are you honestly going to say that the Gears of War-style cover system isn't a major improvement on what's been used previously, and that it wasn't influential enough to be used in several games afterwards?
    I won't address the personal attack. I admit, I was hostile. Willful ignorance gets to me.

That said, Gears wasn't a major improvement from a technology standpoint. In my opinion the thing that made gears great was a well paced story that dropped you in the middle of a greater story, interesting characters with flaws, good AI (not great), a kitchen sink of game modes, and a slick presentation. From a technology standpoint the bump mapping was one thing that stood out (what gave the extra detail in the graphics & allowed the "wet" look). From a mechanics perspective the active reload was genius - I've watched many people in MP fire off a couple shots just so they can get their active reload "fix".

Take a look at something like Kill Switch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh0Q57J9EH4 many of the moves in and out of cover are almost *identical* to Gears as are the bullet mechanics while behind cover. The major difference is the perspective of the camera and how you control the camera movement. It has all the same basic mechanics as gears in terms of cover.

There are many interesting things that this generation brought that are worth discussion but the author is writing about a subject they seem to have little knowledge of. The author also seems to not understand what a "game mechanic" is. DLC, coop, and achievements are not game mechanics.

I'd love to read a top 5 list of game mechanics - it might include some things like the ring strikes in Lost Odyssey, the acrobatic mechanics of Mirrors Edge, the possession aspect of Mindjack, the active reload of Gears, the environment control of From Dust, or the conversation system of Dragon Age. Some of these may not be note worthy for this generation I'd research them first to find out.
    Life, it's funny that way.
  • MaesenkoMaesenko296,667
    Posted on 24 February 14 at 06:19Permalink
    JMJimmy said:
    There are many interesting things that this generation brought that are worth discussion but the author is writing about a subject they seem to have little knowledge of. The author also seems to not understand what a "game mechanic" is. DLC, coop, and achievements are not game mechanics.

I'd love to read a top 5 list of game mechanics - it might include some things like the ring strikes in Lost Odyssey, the acrobatic mechanics of Mirrors Edge, the possession aspect of Mindjack, the active reload of Gears, the environment control of From Dust, or the conversation system of Dragon Age. Some of these may not be note worthy for this generation I'd research them first to find out.
    I would just like to say that the first paragraph quoted here could certainly have been phrased better. Less insulting the author's intelligence and more "I disagree with the opinion" might serve better here.

That said, I agree with what you stated in the last sentence of the first paragraph. I don't really see DLC, co-op (arguably), or achievements (unless they give in-game rewards, like Mass Effect 1) as true gameplay mechanics. However, I'm at a loss for what to call them besides that, so I guess I will leave this one hanging.

What you listed in the second paragraph definitely gives me the "mechanics" impression. I also would wholeheartedly agree with that making an excellent Top 5/10 list. I just don't know how one might properly quantify it, as they are all such different mechanics and many would not feature well universally in games.
  • JMJimmyJMJimmy455,795
    Posted on 24 February 14 at 06:38Permalink
    Game mechanics are the constructs, rules, and interfaces that make up a game. DLC is a business model applied to the distribution of content. Coop is a game mode where mechanics are used by both players. Achievements are record keeping and while they may get you to use more of the mechanics a game has to offer they aren't mechanics in their own right.

I'm curious which in game rewards you're referring to in ME1?
    Life, it's funny that way.
  • Posted on 24 February 14 at 07:17Permalink
    Enjoyed this read as usual
  • Posted on 24 February 14 at 07:40Permalink
    Good read..even better comments section. I nominate Jimmy to put together HIS list of the top 5 gaming mechanics, so that we can debate that list too. Thanks to the original author for putting this together so it could even be discussed! Live a little, learn a little... discuss a little, just don't fight. toast
  • ElyohElyoh816,108
    Posted on 24 February 14 at 08:41Permalink
    JMJimmy said:
    That said, Gears wasn't a major improvement from a technology standpoint.
    Whenever I play a cover-system game, it leaves me craving Gears. Every game just seems to suck compared to it, personally.
    No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
  • Legohead 1977Legohead 19771,138,111
    Posted on 24 February 14 at 09:28Permalink
    I don't think anyone else has said it above, but one thing I would put in is the onscreen trackers for achievements...one of my favourite things. You know you will get the achievement on the right number, (unlike Seriously), and you know what you are doing is right.

I would personally put that in instead of DLC, and I think Horde mode is a better advance than the third one...I like my decisions to matter, but quite often they don't feel like they do...even if a big thing is made of it! (Looking at you Walking Dead).

That's just my opinion though!
    Legohead 1977
  • Bear5 Fan 4EverBear5 Fan 4Ever1,852,450
    Posted on 24 February 14 at 09:57, Edited on 24 February 14 at 10:01 by Bear5 Fan 4EverPermalink
    After reading this article, I am so happy that achievements have carried over into next gen. Definitely IMO the best thing Microsoft has ever done for all us gamers...
    Fallout New Vegas 10/19/10!!!
  • BSquad56BSquad56192,938
    Posted on 24 February 14 at 10:00Permalink
    Lefty24 said:
    2. Multiplayer Perks, Killstreaks, Leveling, and Rewards
    I fail to see how these are good mechanics.

- Leveling usually entails massive grinds in the 50+ hour range. Who wants that when there are plenty of other games to experience. If the game is good, people will keep playing it. Leveling is lazy development and shows lack of ingenuity, just like pointless collectibles.
    - Killstreaks. Encourages camping and spawn camping, teammates blocking doors and narrow pathways preventing tactical teamwork, etc. Again, how is that good for games?
    - Multiplayer perks. Great, so someone can pick heartbeat sensors or invisibility. To what end? More camping.

What happened to multiplayer gaming where success was measured in skill, reflexes, teamwork, and tactics; not sitting in a spot waiting for someone to pass in front of the crosshairs to add a tally to the killstreak reward. Levels in games mean nothing any more. Either you boost your levels or resort to killstreak tactics to level up.

These are your best mechanics? No, these are the poisons of multiplayer gaming.
    Preach it brother! What happened to Health Packs too!? The worst mechanic this gen adopted was Regenerating Health!
    ~Ruffus~
  • S P 4 C E YS P 4 C E Y303,631
    Posted on 24 February 14 at 11:20, Edited on 24 February 14 at 11:20 by S P 4 C E YPermalink
    BSquad56 said:
    Lefty24 said:

- Leveling usually entails massive grinds in the 50+ hour range. Who wants that when there are plenty of other games to experience. If the game is good, people will keep playing it. Leveling is lazy development and shows lack of ingenuity, just like pointless collectibles.
    - Killstreaks. Encourages camping and spawn camping, teammates blocking doors and narrow pathways preventing tactical teamwork, etc. Again, how is that good for games?
    - Multiplayer perks. Great, so someone can pick heartbeat sensors or invisibility. To what end? More camping.

What happened to multiplayer gaming where success was measured in skill, reflexes, teamwork, and tactics; not sitting in a spot waiting for someone to pass in front of the crosshairs to add a tally to the killstreak reward. Levels in games mean nothing any more. Either you boost your levels or resort to killstreak tactics to level up.

Preach it brother! What happened to Health Packs too!? The worst mechanic this gen adopted was Regenerating Health!
    I thoroughly disagree with this statement. What Halo created with regenerating health was magnificent - it drove games away from "where do i get my next health pack from?" to a state where you could attack, recover, attack, recover...

It allows the gamer to better experience the game without worrying about a game mechanic which could really screw you. Anyone genuinely think Call of Duty Classic's health pack system is better than the later games?!

On an aside, I absolutely agree with the MP leveling issue. Once we had Halo 2 and Halo 3 that recognised skill and ability to win games as a team - now games reward individual points and experience rather than team contribution and skill.

I don't even think there's a competitive MP game available on 360 outside of Halo 3 now.
    Category 4D SFA Referee - PSIA Freestyle Ski Coach with M.A in Politics. Random huh?
  • Posted on 24 February 14 at 11:22Permalink
    BSquad56 said:

Very true! The so-called coward-mechanic! Hid'n like whimp behind a rock always on the lookout for the next pussy-safespot! laugh

That's why I enjoyed and enjoy FarCry Classic so much!
    But most people didn't rate it too good - even though it's a very accurate and well done HD-remake!... AND also got very high test ratings back in 2004!
    Let's face it: The 360 raised a generation of gaming pussies! laugh
    Don't open your eyes you won't like what you see! The blind have been blessed with security!
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 24 February 14 at 12:06Permalink
    Achievements is differently importand thers a reason sony copied them.
    also motion controls , they made the wii the successes it was.
  • RheinadlerRheinadler253,970
    Posted on 24 February 14 at 12:10Permalink
    RedDeadKBII said:
    Lefty24 said:

You make a very strong argument. Kudos to you, sir!
    I thínk he is very right about the leveling. It's just a motivation for people to keep playing a game for longer than they usually would. I strongly disagree on the killstreaks and the perks. Perks are a way to enable players to pick their strengths. People that don't like perks are people that want everyone to play the game the exact same way. In his post, it becomes very clear that he thinks everyone should be running and gunning. That's narrow-minded. Shooters are more diverse than Counter Strike these days. Same with the killstreaks. Sure, it somewhat encourages camping, but if you can't deal with campers, you're bad at the game - simple as. The excuse that your opponent is not playing the way you want him to is extremely weak.
  • TopherXPwnsTopherXPwns406,362
    Posted on 24 February 14 at 12:21Permalink
    Maybe I'm just getting old but most of the top 5 are my most hated gaming mechanics of the generation. I do love the persistence over games audio logs and drop in co-op though!
    Topher twitter.com/topherxpwns topherrocks.tumblr.com
  • Legohead 1977Legohead 19771,138,111
    Posted on 24 February 14 at 12:42, Edited on 24 February 14 at 12:46 by Legohead 1977Permalink
    flosta32 said:
    RedDeadKBII said:
    Lefty24 said:

You make a very strong argument. Kudos to you, sir!
    I thínk he is very right about the leveling. It's just a motivation for people to keep playing a game for longer than they usually would. I strongly disagree on the killstreaks and the perks. Perks are a way to enable players to pick their strengths. People that don't like perks are people that want everyone to play the game the exact same way. In his post, it becomes very clear that he thinks everyone should be running and gunning. That's narrow-minded. Shooters are more diverse than Counter Strike these days. Same with the killstreaks. Sure, it somewhat encourages camping, but if you can't deal with campers, you're bad at the game - simple as. The excuse that your opponent is not playing the way you want him to is extremely weak.
    It's an argument that comes up a lot in multiplayer, I just admit that there are better people out there or they were lucky in that exchange as I know I have been in the past...but it seems that a lot of people like to blame campers, chainsaw noobs, lancer noobs, 'insert any weapon' noobs.

I am not the best at competitive multiplayer, but I have my moments...and I have to say it's rarely campers that irk me, it's the runners & gunners, usually because we inevitably end up in a straight up fight and they just win out...again and again! That just means it's time for me to change my tactics.

If everyone fought the same then things would get tired pretty fast, and usually different maps/game types result in different approaches...also, there would be no such job as a sniper, the ultimate real life campers!
    Legohead 1977
  • SmiddyPenceSmiddyPence280,006
  • ShikShik178,887
    Posted on 24 February 14 at 12:56Permalink
    This was a great read. It's a shame the links weren't showing on my phone I had no idea what games you were talking about in the paragraphs but I reread it on the pc yay :P
  • Posted on 24 February 14 at 13:31Permalink
    Sorry folks persistence isn't this gen - i first came across it in Shining Force 3 which i believe was Saturn where there were 3 retail games that stories were inter related and would use your save file from the others to affect the story. There was also Golden Sun on Gba which had an import
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.