The Bargain Bin

Forum for discussing where to pick up cheap deals

XBL Sale Roundup: January 13th, 2015

• misfit119misfit1191,088,895
    Posted on 15 January 15 at 22:26
    Mobius Evalon said:Duke Nukem Forever was a game I actually enjoyed. It's one of those that got a shitty rep at some point and everyone simply parrots bullshit instead of ever giving the game a chance.You do realize that just because you enjoyed a game, doesn't mean it has any quality to it? There's a reason "So bad it's good" and similar terms are used - it's a piece of garbage but you still enjoy it for whatever reason. Duke Nukem is that for you apparently but the game is below average at its best and a piece of trash at its worst. And I"m not parroting anybody here - I bought the collectors edition for $5, beat it and basically swore it off.

Now the DLC on the other hand, that's kinda charming. Kinda like Far Cry: Blood Dragon in its over the top, 80's super badass schtick.

Mobius Evalon said:I played both Darkness titles back to back and I didn't find any redeeming qualities about the first as compared to the second.Over the first? No. But seeing as how the sequel builds on the gameplay, the story and the atmosphere of the first game I think playing the sequel without the first would be kinda dumb. Unless you're a completionist, then the achievements are reason enough. Ugh.

Both games were lackluster in terms of story, atmosphere, level design, and so forth, but the second one improves basically every gameplay mechanic except where you get black holes from (because that whole random spawn thing in place of hearts was really stupid.) The ending of 2 is a matter of opinion I suppose, but I always give extra points to a game that goes with an ending where everything isn't all lollipops and rainbows because it's so rare.I dunno, I kind of really dug the gritty real world but mixed with supernatural thing the games had going on. A few emotional scenes, like the Jenny stuff, and the first really had me going with it. The gameplay though, that was either annoying (early on) or too easy (later on). And the first games ending was pretty bleak, (Yay I won!... Everyone's dead though...) it's something this series has been running with.

That said I always say the sequel is better simply for the ability to protect yourself with car doors and the like and the multiplayer. That co-op stuff was a lot of fun, a heck of a lot more than the first games competitive garbage.

And if any of this stuff comes off as aggressive or hostile I apologize - I've gone over this a few times to try and make the tone not seem that way but I have a tendency to do so anyways. Please don't take it as such.
    Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
  • AnavrynAnavryn660,205
    Posted on 15 January 15 at 23:21
    ChewieOnIce said:Draco719 said:Anyone else notice Duke Nukem Forever is no longer on xbox.com?They're having a lot of trouble at the moment with things going unavailable:
    http://support.xbox.com/xbox-live-status
    Thanks Chewie! I went to pick up Mafia II finally and thought I was doing something horribly wrong when I couldn't find it and then couldn't buy it. Hopefully they'll get it fixed soon.
  • CASS190684CASS190684248,853
    Posted on 16 January 15 at 00:33
    Looks like nothing for me this time, but glad for the reminder about The Witcher 2 :)
    I like what I like and I don't what I don't.
  • CM TranceCM Trance221,301
    Posted on 16 January 15 at 10:53
    Ohh... gonna get Super Puzzle Fighter 2 :)
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.