Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

2K Discontinuing Some Online Services

• SashamorningSashamorning3,032,653
    Posted on 21 July 10 at 19:28
    dropK1CK ninJA said:
    ...and EA Sports starting with Tiger Woods 11 (which sold horribly).
    Not surprised about this. Tiger's Q factor has vanished, compounding the issue with the online pass. It isn't realistic to look at that game as representative of the Online Pass.

Now NCAA on the other hand... two things I've noticed. First, while you need it to play online, there are ZERO online achievements.

The other thing, though, is that some of the achievements are going to be rather difficult without purchasing the recruitment advisor (snag a recruit with one phone call? That's what the advisor tells you to do... call THAT recruit) or the extra pipeline (possible, but getting Texas, Cali, AND Florida? Much easier witht he pipeline perk). Not only that, but the entire "NCAA package" costs a fucking *THIRTY DOLLARS* in addition to the $60 I already paid. Bloody ridonculous.
    Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Live like it's heaven on earth.
  • Golgo28Golgo28232,147
    Posted on 23 July 10 at 23:00
    Iceberg082006 said:
    Golgo28 said:
    Iceberg082006 said:
    lets also not forget that stupid SONY doesnt charge for online at all, to play i mean, so EA is most likely paying for maintenance.
    i'm not sure if your trying to be snide,or if we may have actually reach a possible common ground on the subject.being the optimist i'll just assume the latter.

Iceberg082006 said:
    lets not forget that UFC 2010 u had to pay as well if u buy used so im sure 2K will start charging soon
    true a very reasonable assumption.considering even ubisoft annouced they may do something similar as EA.so its not unreasonable to see the online pass concept adopted by more publishers.
    and didnt some1 say Activision should start charging too?
    whats really suprising is activision was not the first company to implement a plan to charge,ppl that buy used for online play.
    hot damn i'm sexy
  • Posted on 29 July 10 at 16:22
    we shouldnt have to pay extra period
  • Golgo28Golgo28232,147
    Posted on 31 July 10 at 05:48
    its only extra if you buy used.which before the whole online pass publishers and devs only made money on new game sales.its not fair to game makers that retailers were making profit on the same copies of games 2 or more times due to used sales.while makers only make profit off new game sales.it just means either buy new and just be more careful about game purchases,or just pay the 10 bucks.though i do believe they could have left it at 5 bucks.and if a gamer doesnt like it well then buy offline games instead.
    hot damn i'm sexy
  • Posted on 31 July 10 at 13:49
    Golgo28 said:
    its only extra if you buy used.which before the whole online pass publishers and devs only made money on new game sales.its not fair to game makers that retailers were making profit on the same copies of games 2 or more times due to used sales.while makers only make profit off new game sales.it just means either buy new and just be more careful about game purchases,or just pay the 10 bucks.though i do believe they could have left it at 5 bucks.and if a gamer doesnt like it well then buy offline games instead.
    It's not fair GM doesn't get a portion of used car sales.
    It's not fair the MGM doesn't get a portion of video rental sales.
    It's not fair that TOR books doesn't get a portion of library rentals.
    It's not fair the government doesn't get a tax for the oxygen you breath.
    CplTobal: dropK1CK ninJA , i admire ur Paragon crusade ... Kudos to u, dropkick on.
  • Golgo28Golgo28232,147
    Posted on 31 July 10 at 15:58
    dropK1CK ninJA said:
    Golgo28 said:
    It's not fair GM doesn't get a portion of used car sales.
    It's not fair the MGM doesn't get a portion of video rental sales.
    It's not fair that TOR books doesn't get a portion of library rentals.
    It's not fair the government doesn't get a tax for the oxygen you breath.
    and you in no way sound like a sarcastic whiner.(sarcastic tone)
    hot damn i'm sexy
  • Posted on 06 August 10 at 15:59
    Golgo28 said:
    yea but there have been times where my friends used the code and then a few days later it told them that they didnt have access to online and then they had to PAY because the code was already used. so they bought new and still had to pay
  • Golgo28Golgo28232,147
    Posted on 06 August 10 at 22:03
    Iceberg082006 said:
    Golgo28 said:
    yea but there have been times where my friends used the code and then a few days later it told them that they didnt have access to online and then they had to PAY because the code was already used. so they bought new and still had to pay
    in that event they should raise hell and demand to know why.if it happened to me i would call that publishers customer service line and seek satifaction.and if i dont get it i'll simply stop buying ganes from them.after all there still plenty of game makers out there.
    hot damn i'm sexy
    Posted on 07 August 10 at 00:08
    ^^ Other game makers, yes. Other game makers playing the particular game you want to play, no. In that case, it's just unfortunate.
    Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Live like it's heaven on earth.
  • Golgo28Golgo28232,147
    Posted on 07 August 10 at 04:07
    Sashamorning said:
    ^^ Other game makers, yes. Other game makers playing the particular game you want to play, no. In that case, it's just unfortunate.
    except lets be honest most games are very similar.and can easily be sutiable substitutes.
    hot damn i'm sexy
  • LAFTALAFTA565,709
    Posted on 07 August 10 at 11:41
    Any achievements that are discontinued should be automatically awarded to the gamer if they have completed all possible achievments in game.

^ This is what I want.

They need to do something about it. Let us remove games from our list or come up with some other way of completing 'uncompleteable' games...

The whole things sucks, I've sat and thought about starting a new GT many times and going for 100% because it's impossible for me to do on this account. Don't want to lose the hard work I have put in on tough achievements though...
    www.youtube.com/LAFTA
    Posted on 08 August 10 at 01:53
    LAFTA said:
    Any achievements that are discontinued should be automatically awarded to the gamer if they have completed all possible achievments in game.

^ This is what I want.

They need to do something about it. Let us remove games from our list or come up with some other way of completing 'uncompleteable' games...
    ...or at least allow us on TA to remove those achievements we haven't gotten from our completion %. Obviously we can't get the achievements, and even though I'm not really a completionist, it's annoying to have games on my card I can't finish. Since TA can track things things, and since TA is separate from Xbox, it'd be something that the site could do decide to do if they chose to. Just something nice to do.

The counterargument is that it would hurt those that got it before the servers shut down. Those achievements would immediately drop to a 1.00 ratio, since every person who has it would have credit, and no one who has it wouldn't be considered. On the other hand, those ratios are now going to become artificially inflated.

It's a judgment call.
  • Golgo28Golgo28232,147
    Posted on 08 August 10 at 09:07
    one solution could be for game makers to update a game that's servers are about to be closed,so pll can get the achievemenr offline through system link games.

(waiting on the trolls to respond)
    hot damn i'm sexy
    Posted on 08 August 10 at 17:48
    Can you get online achievements through system link?
  • Golgo28Golgo28232,147
    Posted on 08 August 10 at 20:01
    no.but my point is if they are gonna make getting online impossible by closing a server.then why not update a game so you can still get the online cheevos.its not like it takes to much effort to alter the unlock trigger on cheevos
    hot damn i'm sexy
  • Posted on 12 August 10 at 01:56
    Golgo28 said:
    no.but my point is if they are gonna make getting online impossible by closing a server.then why not update a game so you can still get the online cheevos.its not like it takes to much effort to alter the unlock trigger on cheevos
    LAFTA said:

^ This is what I want.

The whole things sucks, I've sat and thought about starting a new GT many times and going for 100% because it's impossible for me to do on this account. Don't want to lose the hard work I have put in on tough achievements though...
    all of these r good
  • Posted on 12 August 10 at 02:24
    You should not reward those that waited too long.

A system link patch, or bring them up to new servers. Local co-op or something.
    CplTobal: dropK1CK ninJA , i admire ur Paragon crusade ... Kudos to u, dropkick on.
  • Golgo28Golgo28232,147
    Posted on 12 August 10 at 05:38
    thats what i said.
    hot damn i'm sexy
  • LAFTALAFTA565,709
    Posted on 12 August 10 at 17:34
    dropK1CK ninJA said:

A system link patch, or bring them up to new servers. Local co-op or something.
    I know what you mean.

But what about people who didn't even purchase the game until after the achievements were discontinued? Totally unfair...
    www.youtube.com/LAFTA
  • Posted on 12 August 10 at 22:00, Edited on 12 August 10 at 22:03 by dropK1CK ninJA
    LAFTA said:
    But what about people who didn't even purchase the game until after the achievements were discontinued? Totally unfair...
    Again...
    dropK1CK ninJA said:
    Achievments have skewed perception and expectations on what publishers should and shouldn't do.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads