Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

2K Discontinuing Some Online Services

• Golgo28Golgo28190,799
    Posted on 13 August 10 at 09:37
    dropK1CK ninJA said:
    LAFTA said:
    But what about people who didn't even purchase the game until after the achievements were discontinued? Totally unfair...
    Again...
    dropK1CK ninJA said:
    You should not reward those that waited too long.
    Achievments have skewed perception and expectations on what publishers should and shouldn't do.
    +1 dropkick
    hot damn i'm sexy
  • Posted on 13 August 10 at 17:16
    dropK1CK ninJA said:
    LAFTA said:
    But what about people who didn't even purchase the game until after the achievements were discontinued? Totally unfair...
    Again...
    dropK1CK ninJA said:
    Achievments have skewed perception and expectations on what publishers should and shouldn't do.
    but what happens to those that purchase a game a year or so after because they dont have money to buy new and wanted to get a cheap used copy? lets not forget 2K is discontinuing the 2k9 servers

and games drop big time when the next installment comes out

and what about those who ened up getting the game say a week or so b4 they said they were discontinuing? those people r screwed

what if its a kid just starting his live and wanted to play one of the old games first?

see them discontinuing servers hurts alot of people. im sure there is a way they can since not alot of people r on the games use ONE server and put all the games from that year on that one server like all the 2k8's or 2k9's. ull save money im sure that way
  • Posted on 13 August 10 at 18:40
    No, discontinuing servers when the next sports title that comes out does not hurt consumers. The people that wait that long for a specific game title are not those that really wanted to play the game. They are achievement hunters, pure and simple.

If you had to save your pennies for a sports title why would you get the old one? The intelligent decision is to skip a year and save up for next year's title.

John Smith who doesn't care about achievements is not going to go out and buy Madden 06 for his kids or himself, or even MLB2K9. If he desires a sports title he is going to go purchase the latest one, the most current one with the most current rosters.

2K9 services discontinued are like MLB Today where you play today's line-up and match ups. If we are in 2010 why would you expect to be able to play August 12, 2010 match-ups in. 2009 game?

Note, matchmaking has not been discontinued. You can still play multiplayer matches in those titles.

Again, the lion share of used sports game title purchases are from achievement hunters, not the average consumer.
    CplTobal: dropK1CK ninJA , i admire ur Paragon crusade ... Kudos to u, dropkick on.
  • The GlobalizerThe Globalizer1,396,369
    Posted on 13 August 10 at 19:48
    dropK1CK ninJA said:
    LAFTA said:
    Again...
    dropK1CK ninJA said:
    And each games' particular achievements were created by...the publishers.

So yes, achievements have changed expectations, but no one has more responsibility for that than the publishers themselves.
  • Posted on 13 August 10 at 20:09
    Where is it stated that publishers should not create multiplayer achievements and that their respective servers must stay up for an infinite amount of time.
    CplTobal: dropK1CK ninJA , i admire ur Paragon crusade ... Kudos to u, dropkick on.
  • The GlobalizerThe Globalizer1,396,369
    Posted on 13 August 10 at 20:35
    dropK1CK ninJA said:
    Where is it stated that publishers should not create multiplayer achievements and that their respective servers must stay up for an infinite amount of time.
    Where is it stated that you shouldn't screw your best friend's girlfriend? laugh
  • Posted on 13 August 10 at 20:49
    The Globalizer said:
    dropK1CK ninJA said:
    Where is it stated that you shouldn't screw your best friend's girlfriend? laugh
    My fist solves those questions about policy.
  • zigs00zigs00211,088
    Posted on 14 August 10 at 10:34
    Iceberg082006 said:
    but what happens to those that purchase a game a year or so after because they dont have money to buy new and wanted to get a cheap used copy? lets not forget 2K is discontinuing the 2k9 servers
    Publishers don't want to reward people who buy used copies as they don't make any money from those sales. It's an incentive to buy new, and by the sounds of your complaining, one that works.
  • Golgo28Golgo28190,799
    Posted on 14 August 10 at 13:42
    The Globalizer said:
    dropK1CK ninJA said:
    no where cause screwing your bestfriends girl is only wrong,if your right foul bastard that doesnt give a shit about others.plus it has nothing to do with the topic.being an a**hole and closing down a server,is like comparing apples to oranges.
    hot damn i'm sexy
  • Posted on 22 August 10 at 14:37
    zigs00 said:
    Iceberg082006 said:
    Publishers don't want to reward people who buy used copies as they don't make any money from those sales. It's an incentive to buy new, and by the sounds of your complaining, one that works.
    ok but what about some of the new copies of sports games still availiable after a year or so
  • Posted on 22 August 10 at 17:32
    Iceberg082006 said:
    zigs00 said:
    Iceberg082006 said:
    ok but what about some of the new copies of sports games still availiable after a year or so
    After a year, a sports game is no longer new.

No sports server has been shut down in less than a year after its release.
    TrueAchievement's Only Pittsburgh Pirates Fan
  • Posted on 23 August 10 at 02:13
    um im talking about some1 who buys Madden 09 right after Madden 10 comes out like i did i got it NEW

and they may not shut down a server a year after release but alot of the 09 and 2k9 servers r shut down and they were shut down B4 the 11 or 2k11 games even came out
  • Posted on 23 August 10 at 03:58
    Iceberg082006 said:
    um im talking about some1 who buys Madden 09 right after Madden 10 comes out like i did i got it NEW
    Sure. Buy it new. Your Online Pass will have expired with that NEW copy. Oh yes. Again, why should we reward those who waited for large pay cuts in the product?

and they may not shut down a server a year after release but alot of the 09 and 2k9 servers r shut down and they were shut down B4 the 11 or 2k11 games even came out
    As previously established, 2K9 servers are still up, but special features like MLB today are no longer available. Madden 09 is still up.

You're not convincing anyone.
    TrueAchievement's Only Pittsburgh Pirates Fan
  • Posted on 23 August 10 at 05:58, Edited on 23 August 10 at 06:01 by Iceberg082006
    Madden 09 didnt have an online pass

and second Madden 09 IS not up:

April 15, 2010 Online Service Shutdown
    Burnout 3: Takedown for PlayStation 2
    Army of Two for PlayStation 3 (Asia only)

Additionally, the shutdown of Xbox LIVE for Original Xbox consoles and games (scheduled for April 15, 2010) will retire online services for the following titles:

Battlefield 2: Modern Combat for Xbox
    Burnout 3: Takedown for Xbox
    Madden NFL 09 for Xbox
  • Golgo28Golgo28190,799
    Posted on 23 August 10 at 06:03
    Iceberg082006 said:
    it's unlikely your copy of madden '09 was new.considering retailers usually stop order copies of yearly released games after the holiday season.because the next yrs will probaly be released in the summer.and if you by chance your local retailer still had copies unsold,they most likely would have unloaded excess stock on some liquidator.(overstock.com or ollies are examples)so odds are you bought it used and are trying to pull the wool over our eyes.
    hot damn i'm sexy
  • Posted on 23 August 10 at 13:29
    I understand killing 2K6-2K8 on stuff, but 2K9? I don't get it
    xBaxterstopmanx...do you care?
  • Posted on 23 August 10 at 15:39
    SpectreSubZero said:
    I understand killing 2K6-2K8 on stuff, but 2K9? I don't get it
    i see some1 agrees with me
  • Golgo28Golgo28190,799
    Posted on 23 August 10 at 18:24
    this threads still going?
    hot damn i'm sexy
  • Posted on 23 August 10 at 20:01
    lol yup
  • Posted on 24 August 10 at 01:48
    Barely
    xBaxterstopmanx...do you care?
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.