Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: XBLA Games That Could Be Retail Size

• MatrarchMatrarch1,730,961
  • Fire Hawk DFire Hawk D2,205,558
    Posted on 06 April 15 at 00:21
    I'm always surprised to see Torchlight on these lists. I just...couldn't find it in myself to enjoy it. *shrug* At least I've played the games on this Top 5 other than I Am Alive. I own it, and have almost started it multiple times.

Anyway, good list. I'd also include Toy Soldiers and Monaco: What's Yours is Mine. Those were really fun and I'd love to see what the developers could do with a "retail-sized" budget.
  • G0DLY 5NiPeRG0DLY 5NiPeR554,925
    Posted on 06 April 15 at 00:22
    I actually still really want to play Shadow Complex and I Am Alive, thanks for the reminder! laugh

Another great Top Five list though. smile
    "If today were the last day of your life, would you want to do what you are about to do today?" - Steve Jobs
  • Posted on 06 April 15 at 00:30
    trials evo :(
  • Posted on 06 April 15 at 00:30
    Contrast would have to be incredibly longer to be a full retail release. I'd replace it with Call of Juarez: Gunslinger or something. Heck, even Costume Quest and Costume Quest 2 are more deserving in my opinion.
  • Posted on 06 April 15 at 00:36
    having played and completed I am Alive...my gut reaction was going to WTH is it doing here, it felt slow and clunky, the story needed fleshing out and...yeah it fits perfectly on this list. I wanted to like it, it had so much going for it but definitely could've benefited from a full retail release.
  • Posted on 06 April 15 at 00:38
    Shadow Complex needs a sequel. Such a great game.
    This space for rent.
  • Swinny CostelloSwinny Costello1,258,466
    Posted on 06 April 15 at 00:41
    Shadow Complex was the perfect size. If it was a larger game, it wouldn't have been as fun to speed run and sequence break.
  • Posted on 06 April 15 at 00:52
    N+!!!....thank god theres no HtH comments yet because even if people wanna scream about it i did have it on a retail disc for my original xbox.
  • Posted on 06 April 15 at 01:00
    Mak Me A Samich said:Contrast would have to be incredibly longer to be a full retail release. I'd replace it with Call of Juarez: Gunslinger or something. Heck, even Costume Quest and Costume Quest 2 are more deserving in my opinion.Gunslinger is such a good call here. I can't believe I forgot to stump for it when the team was chatting beforehand. facepalm
    TrueAchievements Editorial Manager | Twitter: @osubluejacket | "In Soviet Russia, game plays you!"
  • JMJimmyJMJimmy631,531
    Posted on 06 April 15 at 01:01, Edited on 06 April 15 at 01:05 by JMJimmy
    Contrast was a simple puzzle game and other than a great feel really didn't have that much to offer. Bastion I do not get at all - it was horribly linear, short due to limited scope, and very limited gameplay - amazing sound track & voice work but not worthy of retail.

Faery: Legends of Avalon //had the base for much more expansive content
    Gotham City Impostors //would have been awesome with a proper campaign.
    Orcs Must Die! //just more of this all day long.
    Mars: War Logs //a retail sized budget would have added the polish needed to make this a winner
    Life, it's funny that way.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 06 April 15 at 01:00
    As much as I enjoyed Contrast I'd have to agree with Mak Me A Samich and say that it was very much a XLBA-sized game. I'd sooner put something like Section 8: Prejudice on a top 5 list before Contrast.

Also, I'm a huge fan of Bastion (played through it 4 times now) but it was a XBLA-sized game as well. One of the best XBLA games, but still. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon was a fantastic game as well, but at the end of the day it was pretty much an XBLA-sized game also.
  • Yummy BaklavaYummy Baklava1,015,424
    Posted on 06 April 15 at 01:04
    I like that I have 5 of the 6 mentioned games in the article. I dislike that I haven't played any of them on this profile yet.

Good read.
    I do what I does, I does what I do!
  • Posted on 06 April 15 at 01:04
    Mark Of The Ninja would make a solid full retail game
    "music is my religion" - Jimi Hendrix
  • Posted on 06 April 15 at 01:12
    Yaris
  • Posted on 06 April 15 at 01:13, Edited on 06 April 15 at 01:14 by thunderkiss92
    State of Decay was the first thing I thought of. It's easily one of the best experiences I've had on Xbox, so it's good to see it included, even though it should be in the actual top 5 and not just an honorable mention imho.
  • WessmonsterWessmonster313,870
    Posted on 06 April 15 at 01:20
    Still want to play Contrast and I Am Alive. Loved Shadow Complex though.
    https://www.facebook.com/GAMESWITHGOLDXBOXLIVE
  • Ultra SevenUltra Seven618,217
    Posted on 06 April 15 at 01:22
    So glad to hear Shadow Complex made this list !!! Everybody play Shadow Complex.

Also, Trenched Iron Brigade if expanded on would make a decent retail. It has the roots to be grown-on.
  • Oriole2682Oriole26825,270,176
    Posted on 06 April 15 at 01:23
    I really thought Hydro Thunder Hurricane would be first LOL!
  • GuidalityGuidality897,120
    Posted on 06 April 15 at 01:27
    this is a good top five topic, so many to choose from. I am alive and bastion would be my choices as well. mark of the ninja would also be a good choice and perhaps even blacklight: tango down with the addition of a campaign.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads