Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top 5: Achievement Types That Ruin Good Lists

• MatrarchMatrarch1,383,417
    Posted on 24 May 15 at 17:41
    As we enjoy the Memorial Day weekend here in the States, there are some of us that will be dedicating a little bit of our extra free time to the pursuit of Gamerscore (so long as we’re not in a food

Please click here to read the full story: TA Top 5: Achievement Types That Ruin Good Lists
  • CherchiushCherchiush15,024
    Posted on 24 May 15 at 17:43
    Nice list!
  • Zashule 1765Zashule 17651,335,640
    Posted on 24 May 15 at 17:45, Edited on 24 May 15 at 20:44 by Zashule 1765
    Forza Horizon 4 eh? Can't wait for that game, but think maybe you meant Forza Motorsport 4

Edit: Fixed now, you guys work fast! Nice read by the way.
  • imaidiot19imaidiot191,032,239
    Posted on 24 May 15 at 17:49
    This is why on most games, I focus on completing the campaign, and moving on. I will never get 100% total completion anyway (thanks bean dives), so why worry.
    Yes, I know I am.
  • JMJimmyJMJimmy525,973
    Posted on 24 May 15 at 17:54
    My number one: One chance achievements in Hail to the Chief
    Life, it's funny that way.
  • TheMaizeTheMaize1,363,084
    Posted on 24 May 15 at 18:01
    My list will propably be a lot different than most peoples.
    And is more related to if i will start the game, thatn if its actually worth the effort.

1. Unobtainables
    2. Multiplayer achievements in general
    3. Any achievementlist that involves "drifting"
    4. Generic achievementlists. "kill 10,20,50,100,250,500 ghouls with a spoon"
    5. Achievementlists with 48 secret achievements, no tracking, and half of them are missables....dont force me to play the game with a guide in my hand.
  • AckterAckter329,329
    Posted on 24 May 15 at 18:01
    Will never understand why people don't like collectibles.

The one achievement type you've missed that should, imo, be number 1 is Luck-Based Achievements. Achievements that you can literally do nothing about other than try over and over again until you get that lucky number or card or event that gives you the achievement.
    [19/05/2015 7:34:48 PM] Michaël (MC0REBE): ackter, you are awesome :D
  • Posted on 24 May 15 at 18:07
    Great list lol
  • Ditto51Ditto51211,767
    Posted on 24 May 15 at 18:07
    Ackter said:Will never understand why people don't like collectibles.

The one achievement type you've missed that should, imo, be number 1 is Luck-Based Achievements. Achievements that you can literally do nothing about other than try over and over again until you get that lucky number or card or event that gives you the achievement.
    Agree with you on the luck based stuff, it took my way too many tries to the the Flipyap achivement.

I think people hate collectables because:
    1. They don't stack over multiple playthroughs (usually)
    2. There is almost always that one that is placed stupidly far of the main path where you may not think of going.
    3. That last final collectable that is no where to be found...
  • AckterAckter329,329
    Posted on 24 May 15 at 18:09
    I see those as fun challenges tbh
    [19/05/2015 7:34:48 PM] Michaël (MC0REBE): ackter, you are awesome :D
  • Daniel GGWPDaniel GGWP314,645
    Posted on 24 May 15 at 18:12
    5. Achievementlists with 48 secret achievements, no tracking, and half of them are missables....dont force me to play the game with a guide in my hand.

Witcher 2 and Dark Souls were really bad at these. Also negative shoutout to TSOT which had to be played with a guide for the friends,items and the 20 weird thingys.

Multiple replays should probably have used the example of Perfect Dark Zero. I also wonder what the authors opinion is on Threes! which has some funky gamerscore distribution.
  • Posted on 24 May 15 at 18:12
    Suprised trueskill based achievements weren't mentioned. Rockstar Table Tennis as a basic example, The G.O.A.T taking between 9 games and possibly several thousand (unlikely but could happen) smile
  • Posted on 24 May 15 at 18:14
    TheMaize said:5. Achievementlists with 48 secret achievements, no tracking, and half of them are missables....dont force me to play the game with a guide in my hand.Dynasty Warriors 6 comes to mind laugh
  • Vermin360Vermin360573,920
    Posted on 24 May 15 at 18:16
    Thanks for the shoutout. Though I think that Leaderboards would be number one on my list. I know that developers don't intentionally put in discontinued or unattainables.

That said, it is my personal belief as a former developer that if servers are going to go down, etc., that alternate steps should be put in place either at launch (see how Rockstar Table Tennis has multiple methods of unlocking several of their Achievements) or through a patch within a reasonable amount of time surrounding the server closure.
    We don't stop playing because we get old; we grow old because we stop playing.
  • Posted on 24 May 15 at 18:17, Edited on 24 May 15 at 18:18 by vZvSephirothvZv
    Ditto51 said:Ackter said:Will never understand why people don't like collectibles.

Agree with you on the luck based stuff, it took my way too many tries to the the Flipyap achivement.

I think people hate collectables because:
    1. They don't stack over multiple playthroughs (usually)
    2. There is almost always that one that is placed stupidly far of the main path where you may not think of going.
    3. That last final collectable that is no where to be found...
    I kinda hate them because a lot of the time they don't add anything to the game. Unlike Bioshock or Halo: ODST etc.
  • WessmonsterWessmonster306,236
    Posted on 24 May 15 at 18:23
    Grindy achievement suck, I don't mind a really hard achievement that just takes skill, it is the really time consuming achievements that bug the hell out of me. Also achievements that require peripherals, still don't have #IDARB 100% cause of the three Kinect based achievements. I even went to my friends house and tried to get them and couldn't even get the QR codes to scan off my phone or off a laptop screen, so I guess I am supposed to print them out? Lot of work for a game I don't even like.

Then of course the obligatory "beat this game on the hardest difficulty" achievement, which if you don't like playing games on "Super Extra Hard" mode, then your choices are just to do something that you don't even like to do or not 100% the game, that is always awesome. There is a few games where the only achievement I am missing is for beating the game on the Very Hard or the Very Hard equivalent.
    https://www.facebook.com/GAMESWITHGOLDXBOXLIVE
  • Ditto51Ditto51211,767
    Posted on 24 May 15 at 18:23
    No one mentions negative achievements...or achievements that you would never actually do in normal gameplay. AKA, Command and Conquer Tiberium Wars where you need to press the cn_A 2047 times in one match (Also doesn't unlock until Match has ended)

It also had achievements for losing the same mmission multiple times in a row... angry
  • a44Speciala44Special621,716
    Posted on 24 May 15 at 18:24
    Sunset Overdrive did collectables right. Give you something in game as a reward as well as maps to all of them.

Also right on with the Gears achievements for MP. Love the series, but joined the party late on them, Gears 1 will never get all those MP achievements.
    All gave some, some gave all.
  • spookyhurstspookyhurst451,699
    Posted on 24 May 15 at 18:28
    JMJimmy said:My number one: One chance achievements in Hail to the ChiefHail to the Chimp? I got all the achievements in that awful game except those 2 crappy "one chance" achievements.

I don't normally mind collectibles, but the collectibles in the Borderlands Clap-Trap DLC annoyed me. Randomly dropped (and rarely at that), and no way to know how many you still needed to collect.
  • ScramblesDKScramblesDK832,083
    Posted on 24 May 15 at 18:36
    I agree with the number 1. Discontinued/unobtainable achievements will forever be a thorn in my side (thanks, NFS Carbon)
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.