Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top 5: Achievement Types That Ruin Good Lists

• Posted on 26 May 15 at 22:25, Edited on 26 May 15 at 22:30 by Elite1111111111
    LuckyConquerer2 said:^ laugh

I have never played a game based on its achievements. I have never played solely for achievements.
    I never said I do not use guides. I said that I am not a baby who looks for help immediately, without trying first. I try not to boost.

Looks like you are another person who fails to comprehend what is written and instead picks up inaccurate quotes.
    I was kinda with you til here. "You use guides and I don't (as much), so you are a baby."
    Except in the case of say level select games and post-game free-roam (and even then only when you can actually return to every area), it just wastes time to not use a guide from the get-go (which you said you understand if it's missable.) However, even in those cases, lets say you found 99/100 flags but can't find the last one. Well great now you have to go through an entire guide probably returning to areas you've already checked just to get that last one. Even then unless the video is really time consuming about showing you each location, you can't be sure you got that collectable.

You are clearly someone who really cares about finding all X, generally useless (aside from the achievement), collectables. Obviously there will be people who want to streamline the process, especially when they add nothing to the game.

Example - I needed the achievement in AC1 for all the Lucy Convos, but figured I'd look for the flags first. I guess back then people weren't as good as making guides because after I went through one city where I got to the end of the guide and was still missing a flag. I figured screw it just look for them in the new game.

LuckyConquerer2 said:@chakaal and ackter get it.

It is not about using guides. It is about people unable to even try. Games are more important than achievements. Play first, hunt second.
    "You play games in a different way than me, therefore you are wrong. How dare you not spend countless hours searching for collectables for that ever so slight sense of satisfaction (assuming you aren't missing one and end up needing a guide, in which case you'll need to follow the entire guide and hope the one you're missing isn't the last one on the last)."

Collectables are annoying. If you're resorting to guides anyway to find your last few, it just saves time to use a guide from the get-go. If your "Well shoot, at least I tried" makes up for the hours you waste (sorry, spend), then good on you.

Also for the "I have never played a game based on achievements," well gee I wonder why people might have a differing opinion on a site devoted to getting achievements. But of course they're babies since they don't play games like you.

Sorry tried to keep that as concise and level-headed as possible. 10 hour shift plus allergies so I'm a bit dazed.
  • Posted on 26 May 15 at 23:33
    Elite1111111111 said:[

LuckyConquerer2 said:@chakaal and ackter get it.

It is not about using guides. It is about people unable to even try. Games are more important than achievements. Play first, hunt second.
    "You play games in a different way than me, therefore you are wrong. How dare you not spend countless hours searching for collectables for that ever so slight sense of satisfaction (assuming you aren't missing one and end up needing a guide, in which case you'll need to follow the entire guide and hope the one you're missing isn't the last one on the last)."

... I'm a bit dazed.
    I have had to revisit a number of spots for the odd collectable, that is why it would be nice if TA provided checklists in collectible solutions so I could just check mark items as I collect without looking at a detailed guide or spoiling anything through videos.

That would be a handy feature, just something like checkbox Witcher Potion 21 checkbox witcher potion 22 for games that have something where you can distinguish the collectables. Then you could go back for the ones you missed easier and still enjoy the game as intended.

That satisfaction isn't specifically just finding the collectibles however. You will get more satisfaction if plot points aren't revealed because you read ahead or watched videos as you experience the story the first time.

Like this:
    Right after the cut scene where your girlfriend Yennifer reveals that she has been plotting against you the entire time, pick up blue Witcher potion #22 from behind the headboard.

Would it be as satisfying if you read that before the actual cut scene? (BTW, I haven't played Witcher 3 yet, so it is just a made up spoiler)
  • LuckyKantLuckyKant741,666
    Posted on 26 May 15 at 23:37
    Chakaal Starr said:That satisfaction isn't specifically just finding the collectibles however. You will get more satisfaction if plot points aren't revealed because you read ahead or watched videos as you experience the story the first time.

Like this:
    Right after the cut scene where your girlfriend Yennifer reveals that she has been plotting against you the entire time, pick up blue Witcher potion #22 from behind the headboard.

Would it be as satisfying if you read that before the actual cut scene? (BTW, I haven't played Witcher 3 yet, so it is just a made up spoiler)
    Or is it? wink
    Walkthroughs - Owner 3: Red Dead Redemption, Midnight Club LA & Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's. Contributions: 3: Dark Souls, L.A. Noire & Max Payne 3
  • Posted on 27 May 15 at 00:08
    This post is contains unbalanced formatting tags and cannot be rendered at this time.
  • Posted on 27 May 15 at 02:25
    aka Kryptonian said:
    Frankie Godskin said:
    I spent 10 hours grinding
    Tomb RaiderShopaholicThe Shopaholic achievement in Tomb Raider worth 98 pointsBuy every upgrade and character in multiplayer.
    and questioned my sanity afterwards. That was the most time I've spent on a single achievement and I'll never do it again.
    You've played Gears 2 and Saints Row 2. I'm guessing your "most time I've spent on a single achievement" comment was hyperbole.
    I didn't get the Saint's Row 2 achievement that required a ton of hours--that's why the game is incomplete. I boosted multiple achievements simultaneously in GOW2, and I was AFK for the map rotation achievement, so that's why I said that Tomb Raider was the most time I've spent on a single achievement. I honestly don't know how long I spent in the final grind for level 100, in GOW2, but it was during some ridiculous "46x XP" weekend and I leveled very quickly.
  • QuanticJusticeQuanticJustice1,528,650
    Posted on 27 May 15 at 03:25
    How about achievements for dying/losing/failing? These are hardly achievements.
  • Posted on 27 May 15 at 05:01
    Achievements that require you to grind for the sake of grinding...looking at you Ascend: Hand of Kul. Grind to level 60 (more like 100 after all the setting back you're forced to do) even though you're only going to give us enough story/side content to get us to level 25.
  • Ex6Ex6303,597
    Posted on 27 May 15 at 07:49
    Ackter said:Will never understand why people don't like collectibles.Well, I managed to kill 99 pigeons in GTA 4 with help of a guide that supposed to have 100 listed on my second play-through. I think I got about 35-40 without any guides.

Not sure if I will bother go go through the guide one more time to see where is the last flying rat bastard hiding.
    http://www.ex6.eu/
  • Posted on 27 May 15 at 12:04
    KratosGodslayer said:What I hate the most is Co-Op games where the second player does not get achievements? Why is that? Did we not complete that level together?

I'm looking at you Ubisoft.......
    I feel the same way about the Guitar Hero games.
  • TwistTwist450,903
    Posted on 27 May 15 at 12:50
    Pretty good choice of list this time but for me it's the games that were chosen to represent the achievements that were spot on for me. Every game shown has been a burden for me because of the achievement lists laugh
    "Hey Guys! Look at my Gu-"
  • Posted on 27 May 15 at 13:27
    Just thought I should point this out:

for those bothered by their gamerscore not ending in a 0 or 5, you can search for missing achievements in games you have that have particular Gamerscore on this page.

it's also linked on the main menu as All Achievements
  • AckterAckter329,086
    Posted on 27 May 15 at 15:55
    Which also works for those looking for weird numbers to end in so you can annoy other people with it wink
    [19/05/2015 7:34:48 PM] Michaël (MC0REBE): ackter, you are awesome :D
  • Taipei KindomTaipei Kindom1,370,130
    Posted on 27 May 15 at 17:15
    I hate the achievements that you need ANOTHER game's save file for it.

Like This
    The Incredible HulkShell-HeadThe Shell-Head achievement in The Incredible Hulk worth 14 pointsWith a friend like this . . .

And This
    Mass Effect 3Long Service MedalThe Long Service Medal achievement in Mass Effect 3 worth 65 pointsComplete Mass Effect 3 twice, or once with a Mass Effect 2 import.

And This s--t
    Forza Motorsport 4Forza FaithfulThe Forza Faithful achievement in Forza Motorsport 4 worth 24 pointsImport a file from Forza Motorsport 3.

The other types I hate are all viral achievements!!!!!
  • Posted on 27 May 15 at 18:23
    Taipei Kindom said:
    I hate the achievements that you need ANOTHER game's save file for it.

Like This
    The Incredible HulkShell-HeadThe Shell-Head achievement in The Incredible Hulk worth 14 pointsWith a friend like this . . .

And This
    Mass Effect 3Long Service MedalThe Long Service Medal achievement in Mass Effect 3 worth 65 pointsComplete Mass Effect 3 twice, or once with a Mass Effect 2 import.

And This s--t
    Forza Motorsport 4Forza FaithfulThe Forza Faithful achievement in Forza Motorsport 4 worth 24 pointsImport a file from Forza Motorsport 3.

The other types I hate are all viral achievements!!!!!
    The mass effect one does not require another game, it says right in the achievement description that you can get it by playing mass effect 3 twice.
  • carnagegodcarnagegod544,026
    Posted on 27 May 15 at 21:02
    Wessmonster said:Also achievements that require peripherals, still don't have #IDARB 100% cause of the three Kinect based achievements. I even went to my friends house and tried to get them and couldn't even get the QR codes to scan off my phone or off a laptop screen, so I guess I am supposed to print them out? Lot of work for a game I don't even like.Fully agree on this one...nevertheless, try decreasing the phones brightness so that kinect is able to scan the QR codes properly...at least this is what helped me on those damn achievements. smile

Cheers
  • Posted on 27 May 15 at 21:18
    Wessmonster said:Also achievements that require peripherals, still don't have #IDARB 100% cause of the three Kinect based achievements. I even went to my friends house and tried to get them and couldn't even get the QR codes to scan off my phone or off a laptop screen, so I guess I am supposed to print them out? Lot of work for a game I don't even like.I scanned them from an Ipad screen no problem, the game and kinect probably sensed that you didn't like them ;)

I darb is quite be quite a fun game if you play it as intended with friends in the same room as you.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 28 May 15 at 08:46
    the entire forza motorsport 5 list.
  • redjarmanredjarman430,570
    Posted on 28 May 15 at 18:39
    Tanelorn82 said:
    Concerning collectibles, I've only see 1 game do this, but having collectibles at different places depending of the difficulty.
    Yes, 4 playthroughs for this one.
    Lost Planet: Extreme ConditionSecret AchievementThe Secret Achievement achievement in Lost Planet: Extreme Condition worth 523 pointsContinue playing to unlock this secret achievement
    Pretty sure Lollipop Chainsaw did that too
  • LifeExpectancyLifeExpectancy1,641,630
    Posted on 29 May 15 at 09:45
    Mr Rodster said:I see no difference between unstackable difficulty achievements and difficulty settings that are not unlocked from the get-go. Frankly, I am having trouble understanding why the author dislikes one but excuses the other.

It is exacerbated with unskippable cutscenes. There is simply no excuse for making me play the game multiple times and have to sit through every cutscene every time.
    Life supports this message.

Seriously, these are the prime types of achievements that bug the shiza outta me.
  • RDSRDS323,364
    Posted on 19 January 16 at 21:51
    Daniel GGWP said:5. Achievementlists with 48 secret achievements, no tracking, and half of them are missables....dont force me to play the game with a guide in my hand.

Witcher 2 and Dark Souls were really bad at these. Also negative shoutout to TSOT which had to be played with a guide for the friends,items and the 20 weird thingys.

Multiple replays should probably have used the example of Perfect Dark Zero. I also wonder what the authors opinion is on Threes! which has some funky gamerscore distribution.
    The gamerscore distribution in Threes! is done that way so every achievement had a gamerscore which is either 3 or a multitude of 3
    GoinXwell
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.