Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top 5: Achievement Types That Ruin Good Lists

• Posted on 12 June 16 at 06:38
    Peripherals. Yep. Only thing that kept me from finishing Burnout Paradise. Never bought a dadblame camera
  • Dragonborn GearDragonborn Gear1,206,649
    Posted on 14 September 16 at 01:58, Edited on 14 September 16 at 01:59 by Dragonborn Gear
    I would definitely say the following:

1) Discontinued/Unobtainable/Glitched
    2) Luck-based
    3) Leaderboard/Trueskill (Although these are clearly the definition of Achievement, I feel this is more for bragging rights than what should be used as a measurement of game-completion, which is how I view achievements. I don't think it's fair that other players can literally block others from gaining achievements.)
    4) Multiplayer that requires a large amount of players that can't be obtained once the online dies without organized sessions.
    5) Collectibles when there is no in-game tracking

I actually don't mind grinding as much as most people. I must admit getting Seriously 3.0 took way too much time, but it was still relatively fun since I love the Gears of War games. I would also like to point out that the article draws attention to the need to re-up multiple times in Gears 3. This is not really a grind considering I think it might be impossible to avoid this if you're going for Seriously 3.0 and don't plan on sitting on a max level. (At least the right terminology was used, however.)
  • Posted on 10 February 18 at 21:21
    Luck-based bullshit achivements like those in Overwatch.
  • Lord ValoelLord Valoel584,622
    Posted on 06 April 18 at 12:41
    That damned 1G in Infinite Undiscovery. Currently working on it now but it's the bane of my existence. Especially since I'm trying to do Compulsive at the same time. Those achievements should be included on the list as well, games that have achievements for collecting every item in the game that require massive grinding and sometimes pure luck to acquire.
    Beep boop bop!
  • RS01RS01149,518
    Posted on 28 May 18 at 14:09
    Good example of Quake 4. I don't think any body is going to complete that game ever again!
  • Posted on 25 October 18 at 01:13
    Some that annoy me:

1. Grindy achievements that glitch. The achievement in Assassin's Creed: Syndicate that required destroying 5,000 destructibles with your carriage comes to mind. It eventually showed up days later, but I didn't get the satisfying achievement pop.

2. Achievements that require multiple playthroughs of long games. I think Dragon Age: Origins takes like four playthroughs just to get all the romance achievements.

3. Vanishing achievements like the one to remove the cameras in Portal on the Orange Box.
  • Posted on 16 December 18 at 15:10
    Speaking of Unobtainable achievements, don't forget about some achievements in Yoostar and Yoostar 2. I got Yoostar 2 and I looked up the achievement list.
  • Posted on 16 December 18 at 15:11
    Terraria on Windows Phone has an achievement where you have to kill every type of Slime without turning off your Windows Phone.
  • BlackxRyanBlackxRyan814,210
    Posted on 15 July 21 at 12:25
    Can't agree more with the collectible one, really hate the games which has no tracking or no map of the collectibles.
  • Posted on 15 July 21 at 17:01
    And yet after all these years nothing has ever been sorted to prevent unobtainable achievements, servers shutting down (sometimes with no notice given) etc.
  • PangoBaraPangoBara1,694,242
    Posted on 15 July 21 at 23:13
    Ackter said:
    Will never understand why people don't like collectibles.

The one achievement type you've missed that should, imo, be number 1 is Luck-Based Achievements. Achievements that you can literally do nothing about other than try over and over again until you get that lucky number or card or event that gives you the achievement.
    Collectables are good if done well - Halo skulls

Miserable if done poorly - Assassin's Creed 1 flags
    Santino
  • PangoBaraPangoBara1,694,242
    Posted on 15 July 21 at 23:21, Edited on 15 July 21 at 23:24 by PangoBara
    Taipei Kindom said:
    I hate the achievements that you need ANOTHER game's save file for it.

Like This
    The Incredible HulkShell-HeadThe Shell-Head achievement in The Incredible Hulk worth 14 pointsWith a friend like this . . .

And This
    Mass Effect 3Long Service MedalThe Long Service Medal achievement in Mass Effect 3 worth 65 pointsComplete Mass Effect 3 twice, or once with a Mass Effect 2 import.

And This s--t
    Forza Motorsport 4Forza FaithfulThe Forza Faithful achievement in Forza Motorsport 4 worth 24 pointsImport a file from Forza Motorsport 3.

The other types I hate are all viral achievements!!!!!
    At the very least, Mass Effect is made to be played more than once like that and a 2nd run of the game would go extremely quick (saving Insanity for the 2nd run of that game even with an ME2 save was the way to go)

You need to at least play the opening on NG+ for 1 achievement and it will take a 2nd playthrough to reach level 60 anyway.
    Santino
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.