Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Xbox One Gearing Up For A Digital Summer

  • zzUrbanSpacemanzzUrbanSpaceman1,206,780
    Posted on 29 July 15 at 12:29
    Blue n Gold Eel said:zzUrbanSpaceman said:As I understand it, EU trade rules actually disallow MS from limiting access to other marketplaces. OTOH, MS have been actively making things difficult for us in Australia. I've at times been able to switch regions (to the US) and purchase without issue, then other times it simply won't accept my regular payment methods. It's a bit frustrating.MS has nothing to do with getting games rated in Australia or anywhere else unless they are the ones publishing it, and therefore that have to go through the classification board.

    As I believe it the ID@XBOX games are published by the developer and MS doesn't charge platform fees, but the devs are the ones who have to pay to get their games through the classification boards for all the countries around the world they want to release it in.

    If I'm wrong someone will surely post it.
    I wasn't saying MS had anything to do with not putting the games on the AU marketplace, I was saying that MS are making it difficult for Australians choosing to select a different marketplace and buy from it.

    I've heard the same rumour about the ratings board fees. I suspect some oddities in the way our ratings work here might be part of it too.
    I always wanted you to go into space, man.
  • Posted on 29 July 15 at 13:05
    zzUrbanSpaceman said:As I understand it, EU trade rules actually disallow MS from limiting access to other marketplaces. -snip-That's only within the EU. If I buy from US, that item can be caught in the shipping process and I have to pay taxes and other stuff to get the item.
    Editor-in-chief of Gamin' Girl - gamingirl.com
  • AKfoy0faceAKfoy0face619,902
    Posted on 29 July 15 at 14:45
    Thanks to my son I now know that Goat Simulator is the most retarded/stupid game known to man. After 10 minutes of trying to understand what the point of the game was i put my controller down and told myself "This game is just not for me."
    IT'SA ME SPAGHETT
  • Apocalypse KaneApocalypse Kane1,629,970
    Posted on 29 July 15 at 15:05
    roll
    Always do your best with honor and courage without compromise.
  • MemoriesofweMemoriesofwe462,730
    Posted on 29 July 15 at 17:05
    zzUrbanSpaceman said:Blue n Gold Eel said:zzUrbanSpaceman said:As I understand it, EU trade rules actually disallow MS from limiting access to other marketplaces. OTOH, MS have been actively making things difficult for us in Australia. I've at times been able to switch regions (to the US) and purchase without issue, then other times it simply won't accept my regular payment methods. It's a bit frustrating.MS has nothing to do with getting games rated in Australia or anywhere else unless they are the ones publishing it, and therefore that have to go through the classification board.

    As I believe it the ID@XBOX games are published by the developer and MS doesn't charge platform fees, but the devs are the ones who have to pay to get their games through the classification boards for all the countries around the world they want to release it in.

    If I'm wrong someone will surely post it.
    I wasn't saying MS had anything to do with not putting the games on the AU marketplace, I was saying that MS are making it difficult for Australians choosing to select a different marketplace and buy from it.

    I've heard the same rumour about the ratings board fees. I suspect some oddities in the way our ratings work here might be part of it too.
    MS has to. In France has different regulations than, say, Germany. In France, it is illegal to make a audio codec that cannot be intercepted by their government. In the US, that would be an invasion of privacy. In Germany, it is a Federal offense to own or play a game with a swastika in it. If Germans can just jump into the French or US Marketplace and get a game, they could buy a game that makes them eligible for jail time. Phil Spencer has spoken at length why the MS stores are so different, and so have the Heads of XBOX before him. They don't do it because they want to, the amount of coding and curation that goes into having 100 different stores is crazy, they would much rather have just one. They do it because governments regulate. The Aussie government bans more games than any other first world country. They need to make it difficult for you to get games that are illegal in your country. I hope this makes sense! :)
  • Adam CorelaAdam Corela717,825
    Posted on 29 July 15 at 18:03
    Goggs25 said:this makes no sense to me why are they doing this if MS don't care about ID@xbox after all if they did they would add a tab to the store so you can find them maybe MS should do before adding any ID@xbox games I olny know of ID games 3 are mentioned here the other one is pier soalar.

    This one of many things that tick me off with MS and xbox one also why are they no trials for these ID games I am not paying for a game I might liike because the developers won't put out a trial
    Every now and then there will be a tile ad on the dashboard that links to the last 20 or so released ID@Xbox games. However, with Microsoft adopting this new "everything is a full game" concept, the indies should just naturally be in the store with everything else.
  • lI Majora IllI Majora Il1,522,459
    Posted on 29 July 15 at 21:02
    Spilner said:Could be an expensive monthIt most certainly WILL be an expensive month. RIP wallet :(
  • lumpengottlumpengott303,752
    Posted on 29 July 15 at 21:02
    Did i see He-Man????clap
  • ZaccaZacca493,697
    Posted on 29 July 15 at 22:46
    Elyoh said:SneezeSomeMilk said:Its Zacca said: I'm in Australia we'll probably be getting 5 of those 25Blue n Gold Eel said: probably less than half will make it to Australiabut thats not a problem on the one, isn't it? as you can change to almost all regions.It is a little more complicated than that, would be better if they just released them globally!The reason alot of them don't get released here in Australia is because our government charges a small fortune for games to get rated and doesn't take indie devs into account. You can't expect an indie dev to pay the same as one of the big devs.
  • zzUrbanSpacemanzzUrbanSpaceman1,206,780
    Posted on 29 July 15 at 23:26
    I won't comment on the rest simply because I can only assume it's accurate - I don't live in the EU zone and only know what I've heard - however, I will challenge these statements:

    Memoriesofwe said:The Aussie government bans more games than any other first world country.Actually, I think you'll find that's probably Germany, and maybe France. Both have laws around around nazi references, which means that while some games are not directly banned by their ratings systems, many games are simply not sold in those regions at all because they will never pass the ratings system, thus being effectively banned.

    Australia's ratings system gets a lot of bad press, but it's far from the harshest. The main issue with Australia's ratings in the past was the lack of an R18 rating (so the highest available rating for a game was MA15+), which was changed several years ago.

    Memoriesofwe said:They need to make it difficult for you to get games that are illegal in your country. I hope this makes sense! :)As a consumer, it's not illegal to own or import unrated games into Australia, it's just illegal for an Australian retailer to sell unrated games, and that only applies within Australia. There's no law in my country that makes it illegal for me to buy a game that isn't rated here from an online store.
    I always wanted you to go into space, man.
  • Posted on 30 July 15 at 01:03
    Alchemist xPTKx said:Goggs25 said:this makes no sense to me why are they doing this if MS don't care about ID@xbox after all if they did they would add a tab to the store so you can find them maybe MS should do before adding any ID@xbox games I olny know of ID games 3 are mentioned here the other one is pier soalar.

    This one of many things that tick me off with MS and xbox one also why are they no trials for these ID games I am not paying for a game I might liike because the developers won't put out a trial
    Their isn't a tab because their was on the 360 and it was ignored by most. Their are quite a few games in the program that you probably know of but just don't know that they were apart of it. Half the games with gold come from the program.
    I can't speak for everybody else, but I think alot of people felt like me. The sole reason why I ignored indie games on the 360 was because they had no achievements. On the One, I happily play indie games. I agree there should be a separate tab.
  • Removed Gamer

    Removed Gamer

    Posted on 30 July 15 at 05:04
    Don't forget about 2500 G from gears of war stack next month
  • Posted on 30 July 15 at 06:06
    zzUrbanSpaceman said:I won't comment on the rest simply because I can only assume it's accurate - I don't live in the EU zone and only know what I've heard - however, I will challenge these statements:

    Memoriesofwe said:The Aussie government bans more games than any other first world country.Actually, I think you'll find that's probably Germany, and maybe France. Both have laws around around nazi references, which means that while some games are not directly banned by their ratings systems, many games are simply not sold in those regions at all because they will never pass the ratings system, thus being effectively banned.

    Australia's ratings system gets a lot of bad press, but it's far from the harshest. The main issue with Australia's ratings in the past was the lack of an R18 rating (so the highest available rating for a game was MA15+), which was changed several years ago.
    There is something special about Australia, I'm not sure exactly what it is, but everything gaming related is like 60 % - 100 % more expensive there. Also, $2500 is a lot to drop just to get rated for release in one out of 191 countries, when most of these under the radar games just can't make that back, much less have the time to demonstrate their game there, if required, and I imagine it might cost $50,000 to $100,000 upfront, or more, to do a full worldwide release, plus all the time to work with all the different review boards that require info in different formats, and then all the things that each different country doesn't allow, and not just the swastikas (which most games just remove or substitute for nowadays), but also drug use, blood, profanity, and even skeletons (China).
    Your financial solution
  • Posted on 30 July 15 at 06:40
    Goggs25 said:this makes no sense to me why are they doing this if MS don't care about ID@xbox after all if they did they would add a tab to the store so you can find them maybe MS should do before adding any ID@xbox games I olny know of ID games 3 are mentioned here the other one is pier soalar.The ID@Xbox program on the Xbox One is merely an avenue for developers to self-publish. As far as classification in the store, a game is a game is a game is a game. Everyone gets put in the same pool; no shunting off the indie devs behind a button a paltry portion of the community ever presses.

    Goggs25 said:This one of many things that tick me off with MS and xbox one also why are they no trials for these ID games I am not paying for a game I might liike because the developers won't put out a trialI assume that's why you haven't played The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate, Titanfall, Dragon Age: Inquisition, or Bioshock Infinite.
  • Posted on 30 July 15 at 07:01
    Where is CUP HEAD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Throni360Throni3601,980,963
    Posted on 30 July 15 at 09:55
    Memoriesofwe said:Remember Rare replay is 10,000 GS alone.Rare Replay has only 4k. They lied about it having 10k. Everyone already played the BC games on the 360.
  • WyyvernWyyvern613,109
    Posted on 30 July 15 at 10:27
    x55StarGeneralx said:Where is CUP HEAD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Out in 2016.
    Popularity is not a measure of quality, but a measure of how idiotic that thing's following is.
  • SpilnerSpilner958,184
    Posted on 30 July 15 at 10:53
    Throni360 said:Memoriesofwe said:Remember Rare replay is 10,000 GS alone.Rare Replay has only 4k. They lied about it having 10k. Everyone already played the BC games on the 360. Not everyone, there's 10k available from the collection, can't help it people have some
  • DeadGreg84DeadGreg84114,192
    Posted on 30 July 15 at 16:39
    Blues & Bullets is the only interesting one from the list
  • AhayzoAhayzo1,344,267
    Posted on 30 July 15 at 17:21
    Throni360 said:Memoriesofwe said:Remember Rare replay is 10,000 GS alone.Rare Replay has only 4k. They lied about it having 10k. Everyone already played the BC games on the 360.Yea, the internet made a baseless assumption, was wrong, and it's somehow the publisher's fault, we know.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.