Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Difficult Achievements

• Posted on 23 April 15 at 14:12, Edited on 23 April 15 at 14:15 by a Fi1thy Casual
    I just recently started Spider-Man 3 on this tag (played it on another years ago), and I am discovering all over again what a nightmare the races are...

Although getting all the races done is not buggy (per se) or glitchy, or even that grindy, it is seriously difficult because of one simple concept: the game mechanics suck balls (which would most likely exculde it from this list).

Garbage controls + ridulously stupid camera = achievment with an artificially inflated difficulty angry

Other than that, the most challenging achievement I ever did that one could claim was "grindy" (so probably wouldn't make the list) was the VR Missions in MGS HD.

511 missions...many of them were easy enough, but once you got to the Snake sniping missions, it became a nightmare, primarily because MGS SNIPING MECHANICS ARE TERRIBLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_afiuA0vYE
    Fully loaded, safety off. This here is a recipe for unpleasantness.
  • Posted on 23 April 15 at 16:29
    ChronosKaos said:iHeartSlampigs said:@Xystra: There's - wrong - only 2 cheated times on the boards, I believe. The rest are just stupidly good, courtesy of the lads who started over on the PS3.The rest? The other 48? laugh Wrong. You won't see those two at the top of most of the ADVANCED LEADERBOARDS. The majority of ADVANCED times don't have either of them as #1. You can't state "The rest" when they're not #1 on plenty of them.Ain't that the truth laugh. Inevitable that Lost Planet 2 would come up in this thread. Word to the wise, folks; don't argue about LP2's leaderboards with Chronos or you're going to have a war on your hands since he might as well be an honourary developer for the game.

Now, everyone calm down and go play your favourite games instead of ranting about what does or doesn't constitute a challenge toast.
  • Boots OrionBoots Orion775,564
    Posted on 23 April 15 at 17:54, Edited on 23 April 15 at 17:57 by Boots Orion
    NBA Kirkland said:
    bongohawley said:
    NBA Baller BeatsEclecticThe Eclectic achievement in NBA Baller Beats worth 885 pointsEarn 5 stars for all non-DLC tracks across all difficulties in Play Now.

Easily one of the harder achievements on xbox. You can do it, or you can't. Practice with a basketball would help, but realistically you need around 10 years worth of quality ball-handling skills. The only other possibility is if you figure a way to manipulate the kinect.

It's a shame that after two and a half years, so few people have played the game. Most were making a joke of this, yet it's by far the best reading/tracking game that I've played on the kinect. If more people had played it, it would have such a higher TA score.
    Here, here!
    Stuck at 4 1/2 stars on the last song and I'm not getting any younger.
    Agreed. It is a phenomenal game. It is very challenging and a great workout too. Would get back to it, but I don't wanna risk breaking my TV.

As far as Kinect achievements go, people who go on about them having high ratios should look no further than virtually every XB1 game. There are some pathetically easy achievements on the XB1 that have ratios well over 3 which used to mean that it was really difficult. Hell, a ratio of 2.0+ used to mean that it was hard, but I digress...

Anyway, as far as legimately hard Kinect achievements go, this one is by far my proudest. Very hard to pull off...Everything has to go right.

Kinect Star WarsOnly a Master of EvilThe Only a Master of Evil achievement in Kinect Star Wars worth 523 pointsComplete the Vader Duel with a Jedi Master rating, alone or with a friend.
    This post has been approved by Boots Orion.
  • SanadaSanada680,826
    Posted on 24 April 15 at 22:49, Edited on 24 April 15 at 22:52 by Sanada
    Plaguewielder87 said:ChronosKaos said:iHeartSlampigs said:@Xystra: There's - wrong - only 2 cheated times on the boards, I believe. The rest are just stupidly good, courtesy of the lads who started over on the PS3.The rest? The other 48? laugh Wrong. You won't see those two at the top of most of the ADVANCED LEADERBOARDS. The majority of ADVANCED times don't have either of them as #1. You can't state "The rest" when they're not #1 on plenty of them.Ain't that the truth laugh. Inevitable that Lost Planet 2 would come up in this thread. Word to the wise, folks; don't argue about LP2's leaderboards with Chronos or you're going to have a war on your hands since he might as well be an honourary developer for the game.

Now, everyone calm down and go play your favourite games instead of ranting about what does or doesn't constitute a challenge toast.
    Well, that's my mistake. The point remains, however. Those guys went on and decimated some times that people thought were unbeatable by quite the amount. The others are thanks to other people who have put the time in. Either way, the point is the same. The times are improved and the difficulty of the achievement has only increased in time. After looking back at the boards, you're right. Maybe people should start by looking at the advanced boards! lol. They beat both of my times on there, still mean to go back and see if I can at least close the gap.

Chronos? He got beat by them on the basic 2 boards pretty hard. I'm not sure why he has so much trouble admitting to it, it happened to most of us. Except Raezie, he's still got a couple boards. "Offline WR's" are neat, but without a video or the actual time posted to the boards it's really just empty boasting. I'd be interested to see them if he does have them, though! Always cool to see people running boards I'm not a huge fan of. Those would be huge for helping people earn this achievement as well. Surely if he's keeping himself from uploading the times for the sake of these people, he could provide them with the tips/videos as well. Should be easy for such a beast. wink

Totally on board with that last bit. Can only swing the ol' e-peen for so long. But it is interesting to see what people deem the most difficult.
  • Posted on 24 April 15 at 22:56
    I think you misunderstood what "Offline" meant in this sense
    S. A. W. F. T. SAWWWWWWFT
  • SanadaSanada680,826
    Posted on 24 April 15 at 23:08
    OfficerBarbrady said:I think you misunderstood what "Offline" meant in this senseYou were quick to tell me I misunderstood, but you offered no explanation. That's not very helpful. warning
  • Posted on 24 April 15 at 23:13
    I think he was talking about offline as in non-gaming related things
    S. A. W. F. T. SAWWWWWWFT
  • SanadaSanada680,826
    Posted on 24 April 15 at 23:19
    OfficerBarbrady said:I think he was talking about offline as in non-gaming related thingslaugh I guess I could see that...but at the same time who on Earth says "Offline" rather than real life or something of that nature?

Also; it's worth noting that he's claimed to have beaten a few of the times offline before. That was more where I was going with it in regards to the "Offline WR's". If he has, all the more power to him. That would mean the achievement would be marginally easier (depending on how much he improved the time). Thus booting it out of the top 5. =P Definitely worth mentioning though, especially at this point in time.
  • MomijiMomiji939,342
    Posted on 24 April 15 at 23:24
    iHeartSlampigs said:Plaguewielder87 said:ChronosKaos said:iHeartSlampigs said:@Xystra: There's - wrong - only 2 cheated times on the boards, I believe. The rest are just stupidly good, courtesy of the lads who started over on the PS3.The rest? The other 48? laugh Wrong. You won't see those two at the top of most of the ADVANCED LEADERBOARDS. The majority of ADVANCED times don't have either of them as #1. You can't state "The rest" when they're not #1 on plenty of them.Ain't that the truth laugh. Inevitable that Lost Planet 2 would come up in this thread. Word to the wise, folks; don't argue about LP2's leaderboards with Chronos or you're going to have a war on your hands since he might as well be an honourary developer for the game.

Chronos? He got beat by them on the basic 2 boards pretty hard. I'm not sure why he has so much trouble admitting to it, it happened to most of us. Except Raezie, he's still got a couple boards. "Offline WR's" are neat, but without a video or the actual time posted to the boards it's really just empty boasting. I'd be interested to see them if he does have them, though! Always cool to see people running boards I'm not a huge fan of. Those would be huge for helping people earn this achievement as well. Surely if he's keeping himself from uploading the times for the sake of these people, he could provide them with the tips/videos as well. Should be easy for such a beast. wink

Totally on board with that last bit. Can only swing the ol' e-peen for so long. But it is interesting to see what people deem the most difficult.
    Ive had the B4-3 WR public on youtube for like 3+ months and nobody has even attempted to take it laugh
    If i hadnt shown Malefic my hardballer strat i would probably still has 4-1 and 2 also. Even with it he beat me by less than a 10th of a second
    Theres a couple advanced boards i wouldnt mind running again and a couple WR i could probably take if i derust.

Claiming to have offline WR's doesnt mean shit without proof, hell even the online ones mean nothing without a video. Infact i encourage people to post any video they know of that are WR or atleast fastest proven here because the boards are a ghost town atm
    http://www.speedrun.com/lp2
  • Posted on 24 April 15 at 23:56
    Seriously 3.0 anyone
  • DigiLuigiDigiLuigi400,941
    Posted on 25 April 15 at 00:10
    PAKULA BROS FTW said:Seriously 3.0 anyone"We're excluding those achievements that are "difficult" because they're long grinds (Seriously...)"
  • Posted on 10 May 15 at 03:29
    Raezie said:iHeartSlampigs said:Plaguewielder87 said:ChronosKaos said:iHeartSlampigs said:@Xystra: There's - wrong - only 2 cheated times on the boards, I believe. The rest are just stupidly good, courtesy of the lads who started over on the PS3.The rest? The other 48? laugh Wrong. You won't see those two at the top of most of the ADVANCED LEADERBOARDS. The majority of ADVANCED times don't have either of them as #1. You can't state "The rest" when they're not #1 on plenty of them.Ain't that the truth laugh. Inevitable that Lost Planet 2 would come up in this thread. Word to the wise, folks; don't argue about LP2's leaderboards with Chronos or you're going to have a war on your hands since he might as well be an honourary developer for the game.

Ive had the B4-3 WR public on youtube for like 3+ months and nobody has even attempted to take it laugh
    If i hadnt shown Malefic my hardballer strat i would probably still has 4-1 and 2 also. Even with it he beat me by less than a 10th of a second
    Theres a couple advanced boards i wouldnt mind running again and a couple WR i could probably take if i derust.

Claiming to have offline WR's doesnt mean shit without proof, hell even the online ones mean nothing without a video. Infact i encourage people to post any video they know of that are WR or atleast fastest proven here because the boards are a ghost town atm
    http://www.speedrun.com/lp2
    If either of you are curious, I had a look and found this: http://s13.postimg.org/pgrgrbxjb/BASIC_4_3_WR.jpg
  • XystraXystra150,649
    Posted on 27 May 15 at 23:00
    yeah, yeah, you guys have all gotten your world records in LP2... now STOP setting NEWER and HARDER records! you're making it more and more difficult for others to ever get it. that was the whole point of my post. you don't need 6 world records... and if you had one and it got beaten, you don't need to beat it again.
  • Chris1984ukChris1984uk1,071,445
    Posted on 28 May 15 at 08:32, Edited on 28 May 15 at 08:32 by Chris1984uk
    Xystra said:yeah, yeah, you guys have all gotten your world records in LP2... now STOP setting NEWER and HARDER records! you're making it more and more difficult for others to ever get it. that was the whole point of my post. you don't need 6 world records... and if you had one and it got beaten, you don't need to beat it again.They don't need to, they want to.

Can no one understand that some people just genuinely like bettering themselves at games they enjoy?

Is that such a hard concept to understand.

There is no written in stone rule that says "Once you have the achievement/requirement you must never play that part of the game again"
  • Dancing RobDancing Rob154,879
    Posted on 28 May 15 at 08:46
    You're not allowed to say that on here!

the only acceptable reason to play games is to gain achievements.

Anything else is wrong. Achievements are everything. Fun is for the weak.
  • Chris1984ukChris1984uk1,071,445
    Posted on 28 May 15 at 12:00
    Dancing Rob said:You're not allowed to say that on here!

the only acceptable reason to play games is to gain achievements.

Anything else is wrong. Achievements are everything. Fun is for the weak.
    Your face is for the weak
  • XystraXystra150,649
    Posted on 04 June 15 at 05:25
    Hey, I can understand bettering yourself... but the ones I'm talking about aren't trying to better themselves, they're trying to stay on top, at the cost of other peoples' ability to achieve the same thing they already have. as some have described it, they're "blocking" it. that's not self-improvement, it's poor sportsmanship.
  • negative1nenegative1ne100,142
    Posted on 04 September 16 at 20:27, Edited on 04 September 16 at 20:37 by negative1ne
    Czaleo said:

Hurball said:
    Impressive list, obviously I don't have anything remotely as difficult.

One achievement I thought should've been mentioned is:
    Asteroids & DeluxePlatinumThe Platinum achievement in Asteroids & Deluxe worth 376 pointsScore 250,000 pointsAsteroids DeLuxe - Normal difficulty

This was listed as "unobtainable" for ages since people thought it wasn't actually possible, before one person finally unlocked it... Surely deserves a spot in the list.
    Ahhhhhhh... that felt good. Thank you Hurball. And thank you Chewie for at least acknowledging that achievement. However it STILL IS the hardest achievement in the XBLA.

while i do feel this is very hard, i'm on a classic gaming site, and there a few people that could
    get this if they had an xbox 360, and one guy, john mcallister, who can marathon asteroids deluxe.

here he is getting a million:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DG-GJENHgg

i can't do it of course... but anyways, i've played tempest a heck of a lot more.

and that achievement really is SDHFKDFJKHSJKFSD crazy, and that's why its harder.
    there are a few tempest masters out there, but again, they don't have a 360 either.

later
  • MugenKairoMugenKairo262,261
    Posted on 30 August 17 at 10:39
    The ones I have resigned to never be able to achieve:

Vanquish (Xbox 360)Secret AchievementThe Secret Achievement achievement in Vanquish (Xbox 360) worth 452 pointsContinue playing to unlock this secret achievement

Devil May Cry 4King of the PalaceThe King of the Palace achievement in Devil May Cry 4 worth 370 pointsThis is a secret achievement. You must unlock this achievement tofind out more about it.

SpelunkyLow ScorerThe Low Scorer achievement in Spelunky worth 113 pointsComplete the game without collecting any treasure. No shortcuts.

In fact most achievements from Spelunky are off the board... I just hate randomly-generated levels.
    'Life begins beyond the edge of your comfort zone'
  • ShinnizleShinnizle1,340,099
    Posted on 30 August 17 at 13:37
    MugenKairo said:
    In fact most achievements from Spelunky are off the board... I just hate randomly-generated levels.
    But the game is so much fun!
    Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.