Game Discussion: Hand of Fate Forum

Should the genre of this game be put as an RPG?

AuthorMessage
spockroxfaces
Posted on 20 February 15 at 17:47
I'm very intrigued by this game. From what I've read, you use cards to build a deck and they are what determine the dungeon's level design. I guess you also use them to apply your equipment. The videos that I just watched make this game look like an RPG/Dungeon Crawler with a card based theme. ( It makes me miss Baiten Kaitos for the Gamecube )
I feel like putting this game's genre as Card and Board would give people the false idea that it's something along the lines of Magic the Gathering. Does anyone else share my opinion or maybe can shed some more details about the game.
Hopefully a member of the genre team can explain to me why it's under Card and Board. Thanks in advance for any replies.
Free Riegn
Free Riegn
Posted on 20 February 15 at 19:47
I'm with you (especially Kaitos). I read the article on this game and it immediately got me psyched. I do not play Card and Board games at all, but this definitely has the appeal of RPG/Dungeon game. I bought the game the day it came out. I have not tried it yet as I am playing Diablo. But I will let you know once I start it. May start it today.
Yeah Buddy!!!
CounterInsurgnt
Posted on 24 February 15 at 19:14
This is NOT a card and board because the only way to win and progress is by FIGHTING actual battles .... You dont win by slapping down a card you win by pressing x and y and rolling and dodging and killing the area boss.
THE NEW AND IMPROVED XBOX ONE.......FREE OF TYRANNICAL RULES AND REGS
Swinny Costello
Posted on 26 February 15 at 01:22
Although I have yet to play the game, from all evidence shown (including TA's own review), this should definitely be classed as an RPG. Otherwise a game like Resonance of Fate would be in the same genre as Civilization simply due to the pre-battle mechanics of the overworld.
WebChimp UK
WebChimp UK
Posted on 26 February 15 at 19:36
Just a reminder, if you feel that the genre and/or sub-genre classification of a title is incorrect and you've played the title, you're welcome to make a proper game information submission. We'll then take another look at the title and see if it does fit more neatly within the suggested genre.

To do this navigation to the Hand of Fate page, click the "Game" under the game tile, and then click the "Submit Game Information" button. At the bottom of the page that loads you select different genres and supply some information as to why you would suggest the change.

As it stands the genre for this title is actually still under an internal review and is subject to change. However you're still more than welcome to make a submission. toast
spockroxfaces
Posted on 26 February 15 at 20:30
Thanks, Chimp. I was unaware of the proper protocol when submitting genre information. Both the reviewer, who did an incredible job, and the Microsoft store have the game as an Action/Rpg with a card based theme. I entered the contest to win a code but couldn't wait and decided to purchase the game. I'll be starting it within a couple minutes and will make sure to report my findings. Once again, thank you for the information.
WebChimp UK
WebChimp UK
Posted on 26 February 15 at 20:31, Edited on 26 February 15 at 21:01 by WebChimp UK
spockroxfaces said:I'll be starting it within a couple minutes and will make sure to report my findings.Thanks, spockroxfaces. toast
Handydarkness
Handydarkness
Posted on 27 February 15 at 08:59, Edited on 27 February 15 at 08:59 by Handydarkness
Nah. The genre is determined by if your number one in it. Why is Deadlight a platformer? In the game you run, from zombies. What's next? Left 4 Dead & Left 4 Dead 2 are flight sims because of when the Tank smacks you around?
CounterInsurgnt
Posted on 27 February 15 at 19:12
Handydarkness said:Nah. The genre is determined by if your number one in it. Why is Deadlight a platformer? In the game you run, from zombies. What's next? Left 4 Dead & Left 4 Dead 2 are flight sims because of when the Tank smacks you around?Nothing you said makes any sense, sorry.
THE NEW AND IMPROVED XBOX ONE.......FREE OF TYRANNICAL RULES AND REGS
IcyThrasher
IcyThrasher
Posted on 02 March 15 at 21:22
I personally wouldn't mind if it was reclassified as action/rpg. But as it stands I do believe its a card & board game. You select what cards go in the decks you play from. You unlock more and more cards to use as you progress. You play on a board. Only about 30% of the cards actually involve any fighting at all. You can get to a lot of the bosses without fighting a single battle depending on your luck and the cards you selected. You're equipment is in the form of cards. BUT, there's plenty of arguments why it could be considered rpg. But in saying that, I believe the entire card & board genre should be classified under a sub genre of strategy, so I'm probably not the best person to discuss this.
spockroxfaces
Posted on 05 March 15 at 08:27
So far, I feel that it's the purest form of RPG. It feels like you're playing D&D and it's very well done.
-Side Quests - They are abundant and come in tons of different forms. May it be Hero's remains, Embertown Hero, Cave shelter, The Druid quest line, etc..etc.
-Equipment- You equip your character with weapons, armors, rings, artifacts, shields, and gloves depending on what is in your deck and when you draw it.
-Magic - Comes in the form of artifacts, weapon abilities, and Blessings.
Skills and perks- It's a grey area but would possibly fit along the same line as magic.
I would classify the game as an RPG/Dungeon Crawler with a card based theme. Maybe it belongs in a class of its own because it really is a one of a kind game across the Xbox consoles.
Our Afflictions
Posted on 25 July 16 at 23:20
Genre voting for this game is up, lets please get it reclassed guys
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.

Account Settings

In order for TrueAchievements to track your games and achievements correctly, it is required that we have access to your achievements. If your achievements are not being scanned in, it is likely that your privacy settings are not allowing this. To correct this, please follow these instructions:

1. Log into https://www.xbox.com/

2. Click on My Account in the top toolbar.
My Account location.

3. Scroll down to Safety and select Manage my privacy and online safety.
Privacy and online safety location.

4. Scroll down to 'Others can'. You need to make sure that 'Everybody' can see your game and app history
Game and app history location.

These steps will allow TrueAchievements to update all of your achievements across all Xbox platforms.