Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Female Protagonists

• Posted on 16 August 15 at 18:14
    branstoneboy said:Good choice but is Femshep really a female protagonist because if so then why not female Spartan in Halo Reach, female Grey Warden from Dragon Age, female dragonborn from Skyrim or female vault survivor from Fallout? Admittedly she had a voice whereas these didn't but I don't think a character can be considered if they possibly don't exist in everyone's playthrough.Agree with that. Wouldn't have put FemShep either, would have put an actual female character and not one that the player could make male or female. Maybe that type of female character could have been an honorable mention instead, as you could Fable to that list as well.

Why not add Lilith or Maya from Borderlands, they were 1 of multiple characters to choose from in the games and it didn't really matter who you picked as it didn't really affect the game, but they were still main characters.
  • ShinnizleShinnizle929,909
    Posted on 16 August 15 at 18:23
    JMJimmy said:Clementine annoyed me so much.Yeah, same for me. I think that's why I didn't enjoy Season 2 as much as Season 1.
    Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 16 August 15 at 18:35
    Shinnizle said:JMJimmy said:Clementine annoyed me so much.Yeah, same for me. I think that's why I didn't enjoy Season 2 as much as Season 1.Annoyed you...hmmm interesting.
    THE NEW AND IMPROVED XBOX ONE.......FREE OF TYRANNICAL RULES AND REGS
  • k0ngzork0ngzor251,042
    Posted on 16 August 15 at 18:52
    Ciri
  • a44Speciala44Special569,375
    Posted on 16 August 15 at 19:04
    Clem as number one I don't think so. Commander Shepard and Lara Croft should be higher than Clem. Also What about Lilth from borderlands.
    All gave some, some gave all.
  • ScorchPSOScorchPSO865,967
    Posted on 16 August 15 at 19:13
    To me femshep should have been number 1 but this is purely from an investment stand point. Given the choice, no matter the game, I will always choose a female protagonist and wish more companies gave you the choice to choose one, I find them more compelling and interesting than their male counterparts.

Good list otherwise :)
  • AckterAckter325,896
    Posted on 16 August 15 at 19:13
    Why should they be higher?
    [19/05/2015 7:34:48 PM] Michaël (MC0REBE): ackter, you are awesome :D
  • RhyoliticRhyolitic407,870
    Posted on 16 August 15 at 19:19
    What about Nilin from Remember Me?
  • Dakrkplayer2Dakrkplayer2912,640
    Posted on 16 August 15 at 19:19
    Where is Miss Dark?
    .XBOX 4 LIFE. https://www.change.org/petitions/to-tell-microsoft-to-make-self-published-live-able-games-on-windows-phone-and-windows-8-and-tell-deve
  • LuckyKantLuckyKant569,826
    Posted on 16 August 15 at 19:38
    JMJimmy said:Clementine annoyed me so much. Shepard is effectively a gender neutral character since you play it as a male or female.

I would have considered:
    - Any from Dragon Age: Origins
    - Aveline de Grandpré (Assassin's Creed)
    - Jade (Beyond Good & Evil)
    - Jill Valentine or Sheva Alomar (Resident Evil)
    - Alyx Vance (Orange Box)
    - Anya Stroud (Gears)
    - Zoey (Left 4 Dead)
    - Lightning (Final Fantasy)
    - Lilith (Borderlands)
    - Alicia Claus (Bullet Witch)
    Did you mention Aveline just because she was female? I found her to be dreadful.
  • Oriole2682Oriole26822,563,252
    Posted on 16 August 15 at 19:56
    How about the leads from Life is Strange & Remember Me?
  • Wicked JeiWicked Jei468,980
    Posted on 16 August 15 at 20:01
    MAX CAULFIELD
  • Wicked JeiWicked Jei468,980
    Posted on 16 August 15 at 20:04
    JMJimmy said:Clementine annoyed me so much. Shepard is effectively a gender neutral character since you play it as a male or female.

I would have considered:
    - Any from Dragon Age: Origins
    - Aveline de Grandpré (Assassin's Creed)
    - Jade (Beyond Good & Evil)
    - Jill Valentine or Sheva Alomar (Resident Evil)
    - Alyx Vance (Orange Box)
    - Anya Stroud (Gears)
    - Zoey (Left 4 Dead)
    - Lightning (Final Fantasy)
    - Lilith (Borderlands)
    - Alicia Claus (Bullet Witch)
    female protagonists.
    some of these are side characters.
    Jade should have been at least an honorable mention, though.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 16 August 15 at 20:08
    lara should have been #1
    t-t-t-today junior
  • MugenKairoMugenKairo254,640
    Posted on 16 August 15 at 20:14
    Lilith from Borderlands 2 should have been at least an honourable mention... 'Sup!' laugh

Played all the games in the top 5, glad my girl Faith got in, a true heroine that one!
    'Life begins beyond the edge of your comfort zone'
  • ShinnizleShinnizle929,909
    Posted on 16 August 15 at 20:25
    CounterInsurgnt said:Annoyed you...hmmm interesting.Interesting how?
    Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
  • LV 1 Blue SlimeLV 1 Blue Slime1,012,838
    Posted on 16 August 15 at 20:36, Edited on 16 August 15 at 20:37 by LV 1 Blue Slime
    BqCaduceusMD said:The folks at Bioware actually confirmed that the female Shepard variant is the cannon one.

http://www.destructoid.com/femshep-is-mass-effect-s-true-ori...
    It says they originally intended to have both genders, so good job falling for that clickbait title flawlessly. The closest it gets to "canon" is "we animated the female version first". Which doesn't mean much when they intended to do both originally. I guess that's why they use those clickbait titles.
  • JMJimmyJMJimmy462,382
    Posted on 16 August 15 at 20:41
    Wicked Jei said:female protagonists.
    some of these are side characters.
    Jade should have been at least an honorable mention, though.
    Depends how you define side character vs main character. Stroud and Vance are borderline. All the others were playable characters which is about as protagonist as you can get.
    Life, it's funny that way.
  • Redd FiveRedd Five819,086
    Posted on 16 August 15 at 20:46
    I consider Clem to represent childish innocence more than any gender role. In the first game, other characters saw her as a way for them to save what was good in the world.

Even in the second, she often is in need of saving. She has a quiet strength, but she gets pulled through the story more than directs it.

Lara is a good choice, Bayonetta too. I see FemShep as more of an option, but maybe that's because I played male Shepard.

Could have used
    Chell: Portal
    Alicia: BulletWitch
    Jill: Resident Evil
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.