Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Female Protagonists

• S P 4 C E YS P 4 C E Y304,861
    Posted on 17 August 15 at 15:14Permalink
    Shadow 00 Fox said:EDIT: I totally forgot to say something about Clementine... I played about two chapters legit then followed a walkthrough I was so bored. I found that season 1 felt like watching a very bad movie with QTE scattered through it. The graphics were bad(expected, but noticeable because the story wasn't much better), the characters didn't feel realistic, and it felt very much 'put' together. Then again, that's what I thought about the tv series.. laugh could well be I just have a hard time enjoying shallow stories though.

The way the article was written I found very annoying--the author's attempt to mix virtual reality seamlessly with reality I felt fall far short of the mark. The 5 listed characters are not real women or girls--they are figments of somebody's imagination. To throw in the insinuations about 'weaker sex', etc, etc needlessly was rather silly.

Of the listed girls/women, Anna from Valiant Hearts seems the best choice. She sounds a lot like Florence Nightingale, and was possible designed after her?
    Of the others, almost all of them rely on impossible real-world abilities, which highlights my point about unrealistic silliness. They can be fun to play though.

Isn't there a video game that includes Joan of Arc?

The reason there are so many male protagonists is simply because women ARE the weaker sex(physically), and since women and men are so vastly different with different purposes, and one reason being most video games deal with death and destruction which men seem to be better at causing on a larger scale.. men primarily got the limelight. There's no need to be politically incorrect about something which everyone has known since life began. If it wasn't the case, then how come the majority of all leaders in history were men.

My imperfect opinion, and mine alone, feel free to lambast at your discretion, but I just wanted to point out what I saw was a major fallacy in the article.

Please keep up the Top 5's... they are usually quite an enjoyable read. Can you have one for the Top 5 unexpected scary moments in games? I mean, moments where you expect to be potentially scared, but then the shivers just start going down your back and turning on the lights or turning off the console and going to sleep sounds like a really good idea (I'm thinking of the first flood level in Halo 1.. the Lost in Nightmares DLC for RE5... etc)
    Games have male protagonists because they're part of a male-dominated culture. Games made by men for men.

Hell, even films are notoriously sexist - the Bechdel test shows only 31% of films made in 2010 - 2013 had two named female characters have a conversation with one another.

In the 700 top grossing films from 2007 to 2014, only 30% of speaking characters were female. So I suppose all gaming is, is just a less reflective medium of society.
    Category 3D SFA Referee - PSIA Freestyle Ski Coach with M.A in Politics. Random huh?
  • Major BonesMajor Bones345,497
    Posted on 17 August 15 at 15:42, Edited on 17 August 15 at 15:44 by Major BonesPermalink
    Has there been any explanation why these lists leave off the better choices from older games? I assume it's due to the games not having achievements, but it's kinda weird seeing these as the "top 5" when Samus Aran from Metroid, Alis Landale from Phantasy Star and Mrs. Pacman are not mentioned. Those are three extremely important characters in gaming history that were completely ignored.

I hope it's not just me showing my age, but it would be nice for some deeper thought put into these. Hell anybody could just say "what are 5 recent games with female leads and let's use them"!
  • AckterAckter325,667
    Posted on 17 August 15 at 15:54, Edited on 17 August 15 at 15:55 by AckterPermalink
    It still amazes me how few people realise this is an Xbox/MS website.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0Zq0cNuPQ4
    [19/05/2015 7:34:48 PM] Michaël (MC0REBE): ackter, you are awesome :D
  • PabloUK85PabloUK85539,224
    Posted on 17 August 15 at 16:17Permalink
    Sheva from Resident Evil 5....said no-one ever
    It's fear that gives men wings
  • Posted on 17 August 15 at 16:21Permalink
    Surely you can't leave out Samus from this list! One of the first truly strong female characters!

Also agreeing that Jill Valentine / Claire Redfield deserve an honourable mention!
    Quick Ginger! There's not a moment to lose!!!
  • LuckyKantLuckyKant561,287
    Posted on 17 August 15 at 16:31Permalink
    Ackter said:It still amazes me how few people realise this is an Xbox/MS website.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0Zq0cNuPQ4
    Actually, it is not. An Xbox website would also mention Xbox originals, whereas this is an achievement site, so it ignores those, which is what was being queried just before you:

Major Bones said:Has there been any explanation why these lists leave off the better choices from older games? I assume it's due to the games not having achievements...
  • AkaDad555AkaDad555268,785
    Posted on 17 August 15 at 16:32Permalink
    I would include Cate Archer from the No One Lives Forever games.

Not only did she kick ass, she's intelligent, sarcastic, and has a great sense of humor. She had all the attributes I want from a protagonist, male, female, or alien.
  • AckterAckter325,667
    Posted on 17 August 15 at 16:39Permalink
    LuckyConquerer2 said:Actually, it is not. An Xbox website would also mention Xbox originals, whereas this is an achievement site, so it ignores those, which is what was being queried just before you:
    No-one cares about semantics.
  • King DragoKing Drago529,102
    Posted on 17 August 15 at 16:41Permalink
    I totally agree with Clementine being #1, but Aurora should have been in the top 5 hands down. Her story and emotions definitely made her one of the best female protagonists I have seen in a while (essentially even being younger than Clem!)
  • sarahoisarahoi181,253
    Posted on 17 August 15 at 16:51Permalink
    For me it's Jade from Beyond Good & Evil (where's the sequel by the way?)
  • Redd FiveRedd Five813,817
    Posted on 17 August 15 at 17:12, Edited on 17 August 15 at 17:13 by Redd FivePermalink
    For the most part, these lists only look at characters from the 360 and now the One. Even further still, it seems the characters generally had to originate on one of those platforms (ie, no Code Veronica characters).

(Lara gets a pass because the reboot did restart her character on the 360)
  • Apocalypse KaneApocalypse Kane1,204,131
    Posted on 17 August 15 at 17:31Permalink
    Great list, I love #3 particularly!! smile clap
    Always do your best with honor and courage without compromise.
  • AckterAckter325,667
    Posted on 17 August 15 at 17:37Permalink
    I loved Code Veronica but I can't remember any of the characters in it.

I think this topic suffers heavily from just naming women in games because they're women, rather than trying to find a reason why they're worthy of making the list.

Clem obviously makes it. She has a huge personality and her story and development are fantastic.

Lara just makes it because she developed a personality on the newer platforms. Her original character has merit simply because it was something that wasn't done at the time - there was no personality or anything going on.

Aurora and Anna both have merit for the list. They're both strong female characters, again with real personality.

Bayonetta shouldn't be anywhere near this list as she represents all that is wrong with the depiction of females in games. She's literally an ass, two tits and a gun. That's all she is. She was designed to be someone's fantasy and nothing more.

I also can't see why Faith is in there. She doesn't seem to be a character at all.

The characters that I fell should be up for consideration in a list like this are people like:

Bonnie (Red Dead Redemption)
    Fiona (Tales from the Borderlands)
    Max (Life Is Strange)

etc etc etc

Anyway, have we had a top 5 villains list yet?
  • Posted on 17 August 15 at 18:07Permalink
    Shaundi from Saint's Row would have been a good character for top female characters, though she is not a protagonist. The Protagonist could be considered as much as fem shep I suppose. It is interesting how Saints Row 2 addresses the female lead.
  • Posted on 17 August 15 at 18:07Permalink
    Just realized, no one has mentioned the protagonist from Velvet Assassin. Now, I've forgotten her name too, but that was a great character through the story.. the woes of WWII Europe Nazi's, and one woman's fight against it..
  • Steve RedmanSteve Redman1,170,876
    Posted on 17 August 15 at 18:51Permalink
    I think that Jill Valentine or Claire Redfield deserve honorable mentions easily. I mean that went up against a fuckton of zombies and other mutated beings.

I think Laura Croft should be ranked above Clem, Clem is a strong female lead but I think that Laura has set that bar a long time ago and still kept raising it higher and higher
  • WEBHEAD 7WEBHEAD 7450,036
    Posted on 17 August 15 at 19:38Permalink
    GREGO McGEE said:STILL. NOT. BITTEN.Love it. Pretty much my favorite moment of season 2

wow, looking through my games and other than a few of the ones listed here I don't have a lot of strong female protagonists to play with ...

Rubi Malone from WET perhaps...?

Agree that fem-shep shouldn't really count... just my opinion.

enjoyed the list toast
    JBB
  • OsoBipolarOsoBipolar24,219
    Posted on 17 August 15 at 19:48Permalink
    Samus Aran?
  • AxessAxess153,733
    Posted on 17 August 15 at 20:38Permalink
    Cool list.

OsoBipolar said:Samus Aran?...from Nintendo, yes. What about her? This is TrueAchievements.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 17 August 15 at 20:46, Edited on 17 August 15 at 20:47 by Permalink
    FemShep should be number one in my opinion. Otherwise, good list.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.