Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Female Protagonists

• Posted on 17 August 15 at 20:53
    Oddworld X said:The Miss Behave X boat

Acceleration: 8/10
    Top Speed: 8/10
    Handling: 7/10
    Air Control: 9/10

Oooooh, can you feel those super duper healthy stats?
    LOL
    nice hydro thunder reference
  • Posted on 17 August 15 at 22:09
    I only have a problem with Commander Shepard only because you can choose the sex of that character. I think it should have been limited to characters that cant have the sex chosen at the beginning of the game.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 17 August 15 at 22:18
    DaTerminator367 said:I only have a problem with Commander Shepard only because you can choose the sex of that character. I think it should have been limited to characters that cant have the sex chosen at the beginning of the game.plus p. sure clementine came out as a guy on tumblr so ur kinda misgendering her /:
    Hydro Thunder Hurricane
  • LuckyKantLuckyKant561,234
    Posted on 17 August 15 at 23:25
    Ackter said:LuckyConquerer2 said:Actually, it is not. An Xbox website would also mention Xbox originals, whereas this is an achievement site, so it ignores those, which is what was being queried just before you:
    No-one cares about semantics.
    Why are you staff again? Ever so polite.
  • Posted on 18 August 15 at 00:10
    osubluejacket said:Just a quick note from the Editor here - We've had a crazy summer around the TA Offices, but now that things are cooling down in all of our respective lives we'll be back posting weekly Top Fives!Good, I was missing these.
    AND THAT'S . . . . . THE REST OF THE STORY.
  • zr122zr122442,215
    Posted on 18 August 15 at 00:19
    JMJimmy said:Clementine annoyed me so much. Shepard is effectively a gender neutral character since you play it as a male or female.

I would have considered:
    - Any from Dragon Age: Origins
    - Aveline de Grandpré (Assassin's Creed)
    - Jade (Beyond Good & Evil)
    - Jill Valentine or Sheva Alomar (Resident Evil)
    - Alyx Vance (Orange Box)
    - Anya Stroud (Gears)
    - Zoey (Left 4 Dead)
    - Lightning (Final Fantasy)
    - Lilith (Borderlands)
    - Alicia Claus (Bullet Witch)
    I have some comments on your list:

- You imply Shepard shouldn't count because "you play it as male or female", and yet, all the DA: O characters can be played the same way: "male or female".
    - Aveline & Jade are okay, I guess. I found them to be quite boring.
    - Jill would be an excellent character for this list; Sheva appears in, what, one game? And only playable in co-op? Not a protagonist.
    - Alyx Vance and Anya Stroud are not protagonists. They appear as companions to the main character (Gordon/Marcus); Anya is only playable in Gears 3, and only for a short time.
    - There is no character development in Left 4 Dead. It's just four people killing zombies. Horrible choice, not even worth an honourable mention.
    - Lightning? Seriously?
    - Lilith: Same issue as Zoey; she's only playable in one game and doesn't get any character development. The only time she becomes interesting in is the sequel, and as she's not playable, she's not a protagonist
    - Alicia Claus; never played Bullet Witch, but I assume she's the one you play as. If so, then she fits on the list. Unlike the majority of the characters you've suggested.

Characters that should be considered:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we've just about summed it up. No one else jumps to mind as being awesome enough.

Emily Kaldwin from Dishonored 2, although that game isn't out yet. So not her.
  • JMJimmyJMJimmy456,086
    Posted on 18 August 15 at 03:43
    This post is contains unbalanced formatting tags and cannot be rendered at this time.
    Life, it's funny that way.
  • Posted on 18 August 15 at 04:13
    Yeah I didn't bother mentioning anyone like Samus since its clearly an xbox themed site, and if we were going to go female characters period I would go with Kerrigan from starcraft.
  • Posted on 18 August 15 at 04:23
    Excellent top five! :D I couldn't agree more with the top 3, 4 and 5 aren't bad either. :)
  • JMJimmyJMJimmy456,086
    Posted on 18 August 15 at 04:28
    Harlequin God said: if we were going to go female characters period I would go with Kerrigan from starcraft.An excellent example of a character that blurs the lines of the traditional meaning of protagonist. At different times in the story she's protagonist, antagonist, supporting, and/or deuteragonist.
  • ShinnizleShinnizle907,742
    Posted on 18 August 15 at 05:29
    JMJimmy said:Harlequin God said: if we were going to go female characters period I would go with Kerrigan from starcraft.An excellent example of a character that blurs the lines of the traditional meaning of protagonist. At different times in the story she's protagonist, antagonist, supporting, and/or deuteragonist.But always badass :D
    Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
  • DtheGamerDadDtheGamerDad319,093
    Posted on 18 August 15 at 07:43
    osubluejacket said:Just a quick note from the Editor here - We've had a crazy summer around the TA Offices, but now that things are cooling down in all of our respective lives we'll be back posting weekly Top Fives!Good to know guys!!! clap
  • ztauztau429,399
    Posted on 18 August 15 at 11:18
    Great list but defiantly think Lara Croft should be #1
  • ZemidekZemidek292,636
    Posted on 18 August 15 at 16:14
    Clementine is a damn fine pick for #1
    Twitch.Tv/Zemidek
  • Hunter KahnHunter Kahn325,429
    Posted on 18 August 15 at 21:03
    JMJimmy said:Harlequin God said: if we were going to go female characters period I would go with Kerrigan from starcraft.An excellent example of a character that blurs the lines of the traditional meaning of protagonist. At different times in the story she's protagonist, antagonist, supporting, and/or deuteragonist.I certainly hope I'm not the only one here who had to look up what a "deuteragonist" is. :D
  • JMJimmyJMJimmy456,086
    Posted on 19 August 15 at 01:33
    Hunter Kahn said:JMJimmy said:Harlequin God said: if we were going to go female characters period I would go with Kerrigan from starcraft.An excellent example of a character that blurs the lines of the traditional meaning of protagonist. At different times in the story she's protagonist, antagonist, supporting, and/or deuteragonist.I certainly hope I'm not the only one here who had to look up what a "deuteragonist" is. :D*shuffles feet* I'll go back to my nerd cave. toast
  • Throni360Throni3601,430,704
    Posted on 19 August 15 at 02:01, Edited on 19 August 15 at 02:02 by Throni360
    Why include Femshep instead of a female Fallout char? The "Black Widow" perk is GOAT.

/edit: The only reason why I played both - 3 and New Vegas - as a female.
  • Posted on 19 August 15 at 11:53
    osubluejacket said:Just a quick note from the Editor here - We've had a crazy summer around the TA Offices, but now that things are cooling down in all of our respective lives we'll be back posting weekly Top Fives!TA has Offices ? I always thought it was run out of some guys van who lives down by the river.
  • NIXXRITENIXXRITE214,263
    Posted on 19 August 15 at 11:55
    Has there been a top 5 sequels never made?

Criteria being the studio/publisher is no longer around E.G. No HL3 or L4D3 etc as Valve still exists but PGR5 (as an example) as Bizarre Creations has gone.
  • HmizzzHmizzz385,693
    Posted on 19 August 15 at 21:48
    What about Lightning or Fang from the FF13 trilogy :(
    Work hard, play hard
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.