Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Annoying Boss Fights

• Posted on 24 June 14 at 05:27, Edited on 24 June 14 at 05:28 by BloodngunsMrphy
    Obviously the writer didn't get close to FINISHING Vanquish. Two Bogeys (or hell, one by itself) forces you to almost master the game, and they're not even the hardest part. (That's Challenge 6)

Jeanne in the flashback sequence of Bayonetta (around chapter 3 I think). Why? The game takes ALL of your custom weapons away and it's like all your upgrades/equipment/etc. were for nothing. I only beat her on the second hardest difficulty by stockpiling lollipops.

Kai Leng in ME3 is AWFUL the very first time you play him, ESPECIALLY if you're lame and didn't import a save to start the game at level 30.

Bob Vardas is one of the most unique boss fights I've ever encountered. It's only a little frustrating because, imo, it's not obvious that you need to Eryx stomp circles on the ground.
  • Nexus GruntNexus Grunt160,294
    Posted on 24 June 14 at 08:02
    BloodngunsMrphy said:
    Obviously the writer didn't get close to FINISHING Vanquish.
    Finished the campaign on Hard, but admittedly didn't do the challenges smile

... and you might want to check who wrote this:
    Easter Eggs: Vanquish

Incidentally, everyone has different issues with different bosses, and it's always good to see the variations/suggestions coming from the community!

toast
  • Posted on 24 June 14 at 09:02
    A couple that not many people know of--Heroes Over Europe, the final German Ace you have to shoot down, massively cheats left and right. His plane goes from zero to 600 in 2 seconds, and whenever you're about to kill him he starts corkscrewing instantly.. I left my box on for a couple days, at the checkpoint, because of course..... it's the very last checkpoint in the very last mission and you can't save at that point, just start the mission over. And it wasn't a very easy mission either!

Another two bosses that come to mind come from the RTS Warhammer: Battlemarch. The first main boss you fight while doing the Orc campaign can decimate completely all your forces if you haven't planned ahead for the whole mission... I gave up for a long time after trying to beat him twice after carefully playing a 30 minute(no saves allowed) mission only to fail when the boss shows up. The rest of the bosses are pretty easy except for one final boss in the same campaign. If you haven't leveled up one of your characters with special points, and don't plan ahead for it for potentially the entire campaign, the final mission, the very last part of the final mission, can end in a complete fail, which means you can end up having to restart the campaign completely if you didn't plan ahead properly.

Those ones were bad. warning facepalm smile
  • XI AlphaMale IXXI AlphaMale IX1,049,021
    Posted on 24 June 14 at 12:17
    You could have had about 4 or 5 Ninja Gaiden II bosses on here warning
    I saw a girl crying while buying tampons. Must be going through a rough period in her life.
  • x athiktos xx athiktos x239,229
    Posted on 24 June 14 at 14:24
    ChronosKaos said:
    x athiktos x said:
    My friend, whom I respect in terms of gaming skill, told me to NEVER play Ninja Gaiden 2; he knows I enjoy tough games, too. I have yet to play it, but my curiosity is about to get the best of me. I've heard nothing good from this game.
    It's not that bad. You could do it. It's a fun game to look back on.
    Billargh said:
    I'd seriously considering playing it man, it's an absolutely fantastic game, and while the odd encounter in it is pretty cheap, it's nothing on the first two difficulties compared to the last two.
    The thing is, he has done everything BUT the two achievements
    Ninja Gaiden IIWay of the MentorThe Way of the Mentor achievement in Ninja Gaiden II worth 712 pointsComplete the game on the Path of the Mentor.

Ninja Gaiden IIWay of the Master NinjaThe Way of the Master Ninja achievement in Ninja Gaiden II worth 888 pointsComplete the game on the Path of the Master Ninja.

I've known him for years and that's not like him to just stop at 58 of 60 achievements like that...simply because he can't stand a game anymore. laugh He wants to see me give it a go; I probably will in the near future.

One of the more technical games I have 100% would be Tony Hawk's Project 8. The finale on that is just nuts. You have to do a full combo around the entire world to beat it...check out the video:
    Tony Hawk's Project 8Ranked Number 1!The Ranked Number 1! achievement in Tony Hawk's Project 8 worth 974 pointsYou did it. You are the number one skater on Project 8.

And, you can't even get that mission, unless you do similar stuff for over 95% of the game. As another gamer said...it takes dedication and the risk of arthritis to complete. laugh
    I tlain you life!
  • Posted on 24 June 14 at 18:56
    I think the convicts in dead rising would be in my top 5, not h.m. I came into the exact same situation, and it was beyond annoying. To this day, I still havent completed DR because of that.

I also agree with Vanquish. I didnt play the full game, but that stage was included in the official demo. I died countless times trying to beat it, but I assumed it was somewhere in the middlr of the game. That newfound fact might keep me away from the title now.
    Jonathan McHugh
  • FOKENWOLFENFOKENWOLFEN398,921
    Posted on 24 June 14 at 20:46
    What about Dalton from army of two... that deserved a mention... specially that wikipedia part.
  • Posted on 24 June 14 at 21:13
    Here's a few irritating boss fights I can remember off the top of my head.

The demon boss at the end of Bulletwitch. It takes like 20-30 minutes to kill this boss and if you're looking to get a completion you have to go through this 5 times.

The endboss in Conan. Another one that takes forever to kill and you have to kill him multiple times for the completion. Those tentacles will irritate even the most patient person on the planet.

All the boss fights in El Shaddai while going for all the G ranks on Hard mode. They're all terrible, but the worst by far was trying to defeat Dark Armaros without being knocked down. Just an absolutely terrible fight, especially because you have no weapons to attack or defend yourself.

Last boss in Neverdead on Hardcore difficulty. The game is at it's worst here, showing how awful the controls and mechanics of the game are. You'll be blown apart about 50 times during this fight, and it takes forever to defeat the boss. Just aggravating through and through.

All the boss fights in Quantum Theory, especially the last. You have to fight this douche called Thanatos numerous times while he transforms throughout the later part of the game. What makes it worse is that you're timed on all of these battles on hard mode. Again, horrible controls and mechanics make doing this even more difficult than it should already be. The last fight is purely headache inducing, which has you running around all over the place trying to shoot weakpoints on Thanatos, all while being attacked by numerous drones flying everywhere.

Last one I remember being annoying was having to defeat Akasha on Insane in Unreal Tournament 3. I think it took us about 30 tries to get this one as she's quick as lightning and will annihilate you almost immediately. I have no idea if anyone can do this solo, nor would I ever want to try. It was difficult enough in coop.
  • BillarghBillargh408,760
    Posted on 24 June 14 at 22:18, Edited on 24 June 14 at 22:22 by Billargh
    This post contains unbalanced formatting tags and cannot be rendered at this time.
  • BillarghBillargh408,760
    Posted on 24 June 14 at 22:22
    Death Metal Jim said:
    Last one I remember being annoying was having to defeat Akasha on Insane in Unreal Tournament 3. I think it took us about 30 tries to get this one as she's quick as lightning and will annihilate you almost immediately. I have no idea if anyone can do this solo, nor would I ever want to try. It was difficult enough in coop.
    Christ, even the early levels in UT3 on insane were absolutely nails, never mind attempting the last boss.
  • burnthelambburnthelamb446,906
    Posted on 24 June 14 at 23:52
    Bed of Chaos says hi.
    I am beyond your comprehension. I am Sovereign!
  • RhyoliticRhyolitic510,322
    Posted on 25 June 14 at 00:12
    I see people saying Bulletwitch, but I don't remember it being that hard. It was just a matter of slogging through the game. I used the air shot + sniper mode and it made it possible to kill enemies halfway across the map. There was very little actual danger. I had more troubles with that boss on the airplane than anything else.
  • BeanpotterBeanpotter1,701,813
    Posted on 25 June 14 at 15:21
    I just had an argument with my boss about something insignificant.

It was really annoying.
    Mame Tobikomi!
  • Posted on 25 June 14 at 17:04
    Spitfire284 said:
    HolyMoses81 said:
    Spitfire284 said:
    JJ BOMBAY said:
    surprised none of the bosses from Dark Souls made the cut. Lame list as usual.
    It says at the beginning (the third paragraph) that there would not be any of Dark Souls' bosses on the list, since the poster thinks they are "fair" and "well thought out". Complete BS if you ask me.
    Thank god nobody asks you as we are meanwhile fully aware that you're completely clueless when it comes to Dark Souls!
    What is it with you? Have you still not been able to wrap your head around the fact that it is possible to hate DS? It's been over three weeks. Get over it.
    It's not the poster who "thinks" Dark Souls is fair and well thought out, it's you who thinks it isn't.
    Just sayin'. wink
    Don't open your eyes you won't like what you see! The blind have been blessed with security!
  • XI AlphaMale IXXI AlphaMale IX1,049,021
    Posted on 25 June 14 at 17:14
    Beanpotter said:

It was really annoying.
    How annoyed do you get when the argument is significant?
    I saw a girl crying while buying tampons. Must be going through a rough period in her life.
  • WyyvernWyyvern635,834
    Posted on 25 June 14 at 17:16
    HolyMoses81 said:
    Spitfire284 said:
    HolyMoses81 said:
    Spitfire284 said:
    JJ BOMBAY said:
    It says at the beginning (the third paragraph) that there would not be any of Dark Souls' bosses on the list, since the poster thinks they are "fair" and "well thought out". Complete BS if you ask me.
    Thank god nobody asks you as we are meanwhile fully aware that you're completely clueless when it comes to Dark Souls!
    What is it with you? Have you still not been able to wrap your head around the fact that it is possible to hate DS? It's been over three weeks. Get over it.
    It's not the poster who "thinks" Dark Souls is fair and well thought out, it's you who thinks it isn't.
    Just sayin'. wink
    Just because you (and the poster) think it is fair doesn't make it fair.

You can't be right all of the time.
  • BeanpotterBeanpotter1,701,813
    Posted on 25 June 14 at 17:23
    XI AlphaMale IX said:
    Beanpotter said:

It was really annoying.
    How annoyed do you get when the argument is significant?
    If it's significant enough, I'll pass right over 'perplexed' and go for 'vexed'!!!
    Mame Tobikomi!
  • OjotangoOjotango212,774
  • Posted on 25 June 14 at 19:50
    Spitfire284 said:
    HolyMoses81 said:
    Spitfire284 said:
    HolyMoses81 said:
    Spitfire284 said:
    JJ BOMBAY said:
    Just sayin'. wink
    Just because you (and the poster) think it is fair doesn't make it fair.

You can't be right all of the time.
    True, but it still is anyways.
    Only YOU are not, because you obviously suck at that game - which is fine, but doesn't mean it's unfair.
    So please do us a favour and stop stating a lie because of your own inability, so I can stop correcting your whiny, little complaints.

toast
    Don't open your eyes you won't like what you see! The blind have been blessed with security!
  • Posted on 25 June 14 at 19:52
    Lol at above post I'll cheers that toast
    I didn't get to far in dark souls but I didn't find it as difficult as demon souls, imo it is challenging if you are a casual gamer with mediocre skill :P
    sugar is sweet lemons are sour spread your legs and feel my power :D
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.