Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Annoying Boss Fights

  • WyyvernWyyvern635,834
    Posted on 25 June 14 at 23:00, Edited on 25 June 14 at 23:50 by Wyyvern
    HolyMoses81 said:
    True, but it still is anyways.

    Only YOU are not, because you obviously suck at that game - which is fine, but doesn't mean it's unfair.

    So please do us a favour and stop stating a lie because of your own inability, so I can stop correcting your whiny, little complaints.
    It's a lie in your eyes that Dark Souls is an awful game. What I just stated is my personal opinion which is something you can't change. I don't know why you care so much about it. If I took time to care about people's opinions, I would never have the time to do anything else.

    "You suck at the game". Coming to conclusions are we? It's not the first time you've tried - and failed - to put that argument against me. Instead of repeating myself, I'll just c+p my response over from when I replied to vBlite, a post you obviously didn't read. Here it is:

    "Honestly, I probably could have completed it, but I didn't want to put so much time and effort into a game I didn't like. After all, I could have been playing a game I did like, and enjoying it.

    A lower difficulty setting would have made it so I could complete the game quicker. I could have at least experienced it. But no, it didn't."


    The tl;dr version is that I didn't "suck" at it. I just didn't have the time, effort and interest to play on. I would have completed it eventually, but like I said in a previous post, "fighting a boss 200 times isn't my idea of enjoyment". When I played DS, the time I spent playing it felt like time wasted. Why would I waste time playing a game I didn't like? Exactly.

    Dark Souls is an overrated abomination that should have stayed a PS exclusive. In my opinion. Get over it or simply stop caring.
  • CHIGGUMSCHIGGUMS211,634
  • vBlitevBlite188,567
    Posted on 26 June 14 at 02:57
    HolyMoses81 said:Spitfire284 said:HolyMoses81 said:Spitfire284 said:HolyMoses81 said:Spitfire284 said:JJ BOMBAY said:surprised none of the bosses from Dark Souls made the cut. Lame list as usual.It says at the beginning (the third paragraph) that there would not be any of Dark Souls' bosses on the list, since the poster thinks they are "fair" and "well thought out". Complete BS if you ask me.Thank god nobody asks you as we are meanwhile fully aware that you're completely clueless when it comes to Dark Souls!What is it with you? Have you still not been able to wrap your head around the fact that it is possible to hate DS? It's been over three weeks. Get over it.It's not the poster who "thinks" Dark Souls is fair and well thought out, it's you who thinks it isn't.
    Just sayin'. wink
    Just because you (and the poster) think it is fair doesn't make it fair.

    You can't be right all of the time.
    True, but it still is anyways.
    Only YOU are not, because you obviously suck at that game - which is fine, but doesn't mean it's unfair.
    So please do us a favour and stop stating a lie because of your own inability, so I can stop correcting your whiny, little complaints.

    toast
    Lol, the bosses in Dark Souls are perfectly fair and well thought out.
  • WyyvernWyyvern635,834
    Posted on 26 June 14 at 10:00
    vBlite said:Lol, the bosses in Dark Souls are perfectly fair and well thought out.In your opinion. That doesn't automatically make them fair, just as much as me hating DS makes it a bad game.

    There are no rights and wrongs with opinions. There is your fact for the day.
  • Posted on 26 June 14 at 10:22
    Since you can increase your stats to make a character basically broken, bosses in Dark souls are pretty much as easy/hard as you want them to be depending on how much time you want to spend on it smile
  • Posted on 26 June 14 at 11:48, Edited on 26 June 14 at 14:59 by MosesChristus
    Spitfire284 said:vBlite said:Lol, the bosses in Dark Souls are perfectly fair and well thought out.In your opinion. That doesn't automatically make them fair, just as much as me hating DS makes it a bad game.

    There are no rights and wrongs with opinions. There is your fact for the day.
    And yet you weren't speaking of YOUR opinion until your last post!
    Sure, there are no wrongs or rights with having one!
    But with enough experience you can surely find out if IN FACT a game is fair or not.
    Well, one big difference between us is: I am experienced in Dark Souls, you are not, obviously.
    Which makes you a very unqualified person to judge Dark Souls' fairness.
    Sure you may state your opinion, but please tell everybody that it's only your opinion and be aware that the opinion of somebody who only has experience with 200 deaths against the Taurus Demon but none with the rest of the game isn't worth much!
    Don't open your eyes you won't like what you see! The blind have been blessed with security!
  • Posted on 26 June 14 at 13:00
    IMO, I'd say that some of the most annoying boss fights not on this list are:

    Akasha - UT3
    Shao Kahn - Mortal Kombat
    Crawmerax - Borderlands
    Ulkair the Great Unclean One - Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising

    That last one on the hardest difficulty angry
  • JMJimmyJMJimmy586,935
    Posted on 26 June 14 at 13:16
    Ulkair the Great Unclean One - Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising - was dead easy on the hardest setting. Just keep your long range units spread out at the edge of their firing range and keep the boss bouncing between your jet pack/tele units. It took a while but only required 1 try for me.
    Life, it's funny that way.
  • vBlitevBlite188,567
    Posted on 26 June 14 at 13:28, Edited on 26 June 14 at 13:31 by vBlite
    Spitfire284 said:vBlite said:Lol, the bosses in Dark Souls are perfectly fair and well thought out.In your opinion. That doesn't automatically make them fair, just as much as me hating DS makes it a bad game.

    There are no rights and wrongs with opinions. There is your fact for the day.
    No, it is pretty much a fact. Every boss in that game has telling signs which tells you what attack they are going to use, when you pick up on these the bosses become a lot easier. Nothing they do is particularly cheap.

    The bosses in Dark Souls are probably some of the fairest of any game, while at the same time being hard.

    HolyMoses81 said:the opinion of somebody who only has experience with 200 deaths against the Taurus Demon but none with the rest of the game isn't worth much!lol
  • Legohead 1977Legohead 19771,813,392
    Posted on 26 June 14 at 14:57, Edited on 26 June 14 at 14:59 by Legohead 1977
    I haven't played any of these, other than the convicts in Dead Rising, and they didn't irritate me that much as far as I remember...nor have I had a pointless argument with Bean's boss.

    My personal worst boss experience was the last boss on Gears of War 3, we played for so long before a glitch occurred and the guards didn't re-spawn...we would probably still be playing now if that hadn't happened.

    As the list is titled most annoying bosses I would have to agree with Dark Souls, I feel previous posts have simply become an argument over whether it is a good game or not. I am only as far as Smough and Ornstein, but the boss battles have ranged from ludicrously easy to frustratingly hard...the only reason I qualify some of these bosses as annoying is due to the fact that they can often kill you in seconds, especially if you haven't faced them before to 'learn' their patterns/methods and you nearly always have an overly long trek back to the fight...more often than not having to again kill enemies on the way (carefully I might add, so you can get back to your recovery point). That IS annoying...purely unnecessary lengthening of the game to further the 'it's really hard' status. (They could have put a bonfire by each boss door...or something similar).

    Before anyone asks, I merely think the game is okay. I quite enjoy it, but there are a lot of frustrating, not hard, elements to it that I feel were added purely to make the game appear harder.
    Legohead 1977
  • Posted on 26 June 14 at 15:00
    Absolutely loved Vanquish, seriously underrated game!!

    Great top 5
    www.youtube.com/user/DerangedAsylum Cool gaming videos! Looking for someone to collaborate with PM me if interested.
  • x athiktos xx athiktos x239,229
    Posted on 26 June 14 at 15:46, Edited on 26 June 14 at 15:47 by x athiktos x
    Billargh said:
    x athiktos x said:
    One of the more technical games I have 100% would be Tony Hawk's Project 8. The finale on that is just nuts. You have to do a full combo around the entire world to beat it...check out the video:
    Tony Hawk's Project 8Ranked Number 1!The Ranked Number 1! achievement in Tony Hawk's Project 8 worth 974 pointsYou did it. You are the number one skater on Project 8.

    And, you can't even get that mission, unless you do similar stuff for over 95% of the game. As another gamer said...it takes dedication and the risk of arthritis to complete. laugh
    Hah believe it or not, THP8 is a game I've always fancied going back to and attempting to get 100% on it, just for its sweet sweet high ratio. I remember watching K4rn4ge's videos on it back in the day and just going, "bwuuuh?!", some of the stuff he pulled off with ridiculous!
    laugh I did it for the ratio too! But once I started it, I knew it was in for a long haul....tough game to complete. Funny thing is, I want to get Tony Hawk's Proving Ground now that I beat Project 8; Proving Ground looks easier than Project 8, IMO.

    With slight variations, I used K4rn4ge's path in that video to beat Project 8. I'll say this....I didn't get it on my first try. And the WORST is when you get close and start to get excited and botch it up right at the end!

    You should go back to beat it though. Just takes some patience and practice. You got this.
    I tlain you life!
  • WyyvernWyyvern635,834
    Posted on 26 June 14 at 17:03
    HolyMoses81 said:Spitfire284 said:vBlite said:Lol, the bosses in Dark Souls are perfectly fair and well thought out.In your opinion. That doesn't automatically make them fair, just as much as me hating DS makes it a bad game.

    There are no rights and wrongs with opinions. There is your fact for the day.
    And yet you weren't speaking of YOUR opinion until your last post!
    Sure, there are no wrongs or rights with having one!
    But with enough experience you can surely find out if IN FACT a game is fair or not.
    Well, one big difference between us is: I am experienced in Dark Souls, you are not, obviously.
    Which makes you a very unqualified person to judge Dark Souls' fairness.
    Sure you may state your opinion, but please tell everybody that it's only your opinion and be aware that the opinion of somebody who only has experience with 200 deaths against the Taurus Demon but none with the rest of the game isn't worth much!
    When did I say I had 200 deaths with the Taurus Demon? Never. I gave it around 20 tries maximum, but ultimately got fed up of having to make my way through all of the repeatedly-spawning enemies. About half of the time I would die on the way there, because putting a bonfire right outside of the TD's spawn point was obviously too hard.

    Anyway vBlite, what "signs"? The TD only had one move and that was "swing hammer". There was nothing to do to avoid it, even blocking seemed to do nothing. I still had half of my health taken off.
  • BillarghBillargh408,760
    Posted on 26 June 14 at 18:00
    x athiktos x said:
    Billargh said:
    x athiktos x said:
    One of the more technical games I have 100% would be Tony Hawk's Project 8. The finale on that is just nuts. You have to do a full combo around the entire world to beat it...check out the video:
    Tony Hawk's Project 8Ranked Number 1!The Ranked Number 1! achievement in Tony Hawk's Project 8 worth 974 pointsYou did it. You are the number one skater on Project 8.

    And, you can't even get that mission, unless you do similar stuff for over 95% of the game. As another gamer said...it takes dedication and the risk of arthritis to complete. laugh
    Hah believe it or not, THP8 is a game I've always fancied going back to and attempting to get 100% on it, just for its sweet sweet high ratio. I remember watching K4rn4ge's videos on it back in the day and just going, "bwuuuh?!", some of the stuff he pulled off with ridiculous!
    laugh I did it for the ratio too! But once I started it, I knew it was in for a long haul....tough game to complete. Funny thing is, I want to get Tony Hawk's Proving Ground now that I beat Project 8; Proving Ground looks easier than Project 8, IMO.

    With slight variations, I used K4rn4ge's path in that video to beat Project 8. I'll say this....I didn't get it on my first try. And the WORST is when you get close and start to get excited and botch it up right at the end!

    You should go back to beat it though. Just takes some patience and practice. You got this.
    Just seeing the Proving Ground ratio gives me the willies! And I'll definitely be whipping P8 out as soon as I remember where on earth it is, hah :)
  • vBlitevBlite188,567
    Posted on 26 June 14 at 18:36
    Spitfire284 said:HolyMoses81 said:Spitfire284 said:vBlite said:Lol, the bosses in Dark Souls are perfectly fair and well thought out.In your opinion. That doesn't automatically make them fair, just as much as me hating DS makes it a bad game.

    There are no rights and wrongs with opinions. There is your fact for the day.
    And yet you weren't speaking of YOUR opinion until your last post!
    Sure, there are no wrongs or rights with having one!
    But with enough experience you can surely find out if IN FACT a game is fair or not.
    Well, one big difference between us is: I am experienced in Dark Souls, you are not, obviously.
    Which makes you a very unqualified person to judge Dark Souls' fairness.
    Sure you may state your opinion, but please tell everybody that it's only your opinion and be aware that the opinion of somebody who only has experience with 200 deaths against the Taurus Demon but none with the rest of the game isn't worth much!
    When did I say I had 200 deaths with the Taurus Demon? Never. I gave it around 20 tries maximum, but ultimately got fed up of having to make my way through all of the repeatedly-spawning enemies. About half of the time I would die on the way there, because putting a bonfire right outside of the TD's spawn point was obviously too hard.

    Anyway vBlite, what "signs"? The TD only had one move and that was "swing hammer". There was nothing to do to avoid it, even blocking seemed to do nothing. I still had half of my health taken off.
    LMFAO, it was easy to avoid getting hit. I, like a lot of others did it first time without taking any damage.
  • Posted on 26 June 14 at 18:38
    Spitfire284 said:HolyMoses81 said:Spitfire284 said:vBlite said:Lol, the bosses in Dark Souls are perfectly fair and well thought out.In your opinion. That doesn't automatically make them fair, just as much as me hating DS makes it a bad game.

    There are no rights and wrongs with opinions. There is your fact for the day.
    And yet you weren't speaking of YOUR opinion until your last post!
    Sure, there are no wrongs or rights with having one!
    But with enough experience you can surely find out if IN FACT a game is fair or not.
    Well, one big difference between us is: I am experienced in Dark Souls, you are not, obviously.
    Which makes you a very unqualified person to judge Dark Souls' fairness.
    Sure you may state your opinion, but please tell everybody that it's only your opinion and be aware that the opinion of somebody who only has experience with 200 deaths against the Taurus Demon but none with the rest of the game isn't worth much!
    When did I say I had 200 deaths with the Taurus Demon? Never. I gave it around 20 tries maximum, but ultimately got fed up of having to make my way through all of the repeatedly-spawning enemies. About half of the time I would die on the way there, because putting a bonfire right outside of the TD's spawn point was obviously too hard.

    Anyway vBlite, what "signs"? The TD only had one move and that was "swing hammer". There was nothing to do to avoid it, even blocking seemed to do nothing. I still had half of my health taken off.
    There's a ladder behind you that lets you climb up to where the skeleton archers are and hit him with a plunge attack. That's one of the "signs". Also dodging the hammer swing isn't hard if you're constantly moving. I'm not very far into the game but so far every boss I've faced has something within the fight area or right before it that will help you with it if you pay attention to your surroundings.
    Don't be a lemon, be a rose bud.
  • WyyvernWyyvern635,834
    Posted on 26 June 14 at 19:13, Edited on 26 June 14 at 19:14 by Wyyvern
    OfficerBarbrady said:There's a ladder behind you that lets you climb up to where the skeleton archers are and hit him with a plunge attack. That's one of the "signs". Also dodging the hammer swing isn't hard if you're constantly moving. I'm not very far into the game but so far every boss I've faced has something within the fight area or right before it that will help you with it if you pay attention to your surroundings.I did climb up that, but he would jump up to where I was. Never heard of a "plunging attack". One of this game's many faults is that it doesn't bother telling you the attack moves. Would a tutorial have been that hard?

    I bet either Moses or Blite respond with "that's how Dark Souls works". If that's true, then DS just proves it is even more pathetic than it already is. Even an optional tutorial! It was just laziness on FromSoftware's part.


    vBlite said:LMFAO, it was easy to avoid getting hit. I, like a lot of others did it first time without taking any damage.Thanks, that helped me a lot.


    It would have been better if we would've gotten Kameo for GwG like Japan did. I'm pretty sure I would have completed that by now.
  • Posted on 26 June 14 at 19:47, Edited on 26 June 14 at 20:59 by OfficerBarbrady
    It tells you about the plunging attack before you fight the Asylum Demon though if you read the hints that were on the ground that told you how to play.
    Don't be a lemon, be a rose bud.
  • Posted on 26 June 14 at 19:55
    Spitfire284 said:...
    I bet either Moses or Blite respond with "that's how Dark Souls works". If that's true, then DS just proves it is even more pathetic than it already is. Even an optional tutorial! It was just laziness on FromSoftware's part.
    .....
    Nope, actually there is some kind of tutorial. There are several messages all over the Asylum, that explain how dodging, weak and strong attacks and also plunging work (I think the plunging one is before the fog gate before the Asylum Demon.
    So I guess it wasn't laziness on FromSoftware's part, but you being lazy on the reading-part. laugh

    Face it, you're just a bit too whiny for that game, but that's not the game's fault.

    By the way, YOU spoke about 200 deaths in the very beginning in the other post of yours. So, may I hand you just another thing to blame youself for. wink
    Don't open your eyes you won't like what you see! The blind have been blessed with security!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.