Game Discussion: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion GotY (JP)

Backwards Compatibility on Xbox One?

• REB3LREB3L1,713,455
    Posted on 18 December 16 at 20:02
    Anyone know of a good site that will translate a screenshot? Kind of difficult playing in Japanese!
  • XtowersXtowers1,147,539
    Posted on 23 December 16 at 04:54
    Woohoo! Can't wait to start it!
  • Posted on 23 December 16 at 19:44
    REB3L said:
    Anyone know of a good site that will translate a screenshot? Kind of difficult playing in Japanese!
    I use the google translate app on my phone. It allows you to take a picture and highlight the text to be translated.
  • XtowersXtowers1,147,539
    Posted on 29 December 16 at 04:25
    I'm glad I know a little Japanese from my college days.

I just checked Amazon, too, and the price has more than tripled since I bought my copy. Yikes!
  • REB3LREB3L1,713,455
    Posted on 12 January 17 at 17:19
    Hurricane Matt said:
    REB3L said:
    I use the google translate app on my phone. It allows you to take a picture and highlight the text to be translated.
    Thanks!
  • silent 3rdsilent 3rd1,410,968
    Posted on 25 July 17 at 10:37
    Picked this up last week on a work trip to Tokyo, for $4, was delighted, started it just now, and realised, it's the 'Vanillia Version'! :( wish I read this tread before hand!
  • Posted on 02 October 17 at 00:23
    So if I buy a copy of the GOTY Japanese edition off of my xbox one will I get that separate achievement list?
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 02 October 17 at 04:20
    XCaptainMexico said:
    So if I buy a copy of the GOTY Japanese edition off of my xbox one will I get that separate achievement list?
    Are you sure there is a digital GOTY version? If you are, would you link me to the store page?
  • Posted on 07 January 18 at 11:58
    I can confirm this works on Xbox One and the descriptions of the Disk/Case above are correct for any future readers.
    Fenom007
  • Endless404Endless404566,128
  • Nazule80Nazule80962,451
    Posted on 12 March 18 at 02:22
    How much should I have to worry about translating? As far as I could tell the walkthrough didn’t mention this early on. Also are all the book etc in Japanese? Thank you for in depth details.
  • zeldafanjtlzeldafanjtl252,571
    Posted on 12 March 18 at 08:21
    ll Nazule ll said:
    How much should I have to worry about translating? As far as I could tell the walkthrough didn’t mention this early on. Also are all the book etc in Japanese? Thank you for in depth details.
    I haven't played the JP version so I can't comment on how much of the game is in Japanese.

As for the necessity of translation, have you played Oblivion before? If you're not already familiar with the quests, I imagine you'd need a lot of translation. The faction quests usually aren't simple "follow the arrow to the place and then kill someone" type ordeals, so it would be hard to know what to do without understanding the text.

I suppose you might be able to get by with a detailed walkthrough.
  • Nazule80Nazule80962,451
    Posted on 12 March 18 at 12:12, Edited on 12 March 18 at 13:52 by Nazule80
    Hey yes I’m familiar with it and beat it. I just like to read the books hehe . I’m not too worried if I can’t I was just wondering.
  • zshaw18zshaw18218,493
  • iMaginaryyiMaginaryy2,517,016
    Posted on 27 March 19 at 22:37
    zshaw18 said:
    question- does the platinum hits version work as well for the fresh set of achievements?

https://www.amazon.com/Elder-Scrolls-IV-collection-xbox-360/...
    I would think that would work, but not 100%.

This one's a little weird as far as regional stacks, because there appears to actually be two different "vanilla" versions as well, but that share an achievement list. I have two non-GOTY Oblivion's installed - US/NTSC and JP. I own the Shivering Isles for U.S. but, despite being the same list, it asks me to buy the Shivering Isles for the JP version.

Then, on top of that there's this GOTY version which is supposedly physical only - which seems right I don't see a digital listing anywhere. So as long as it's Japanese, Physical, and has the DLC bundled in on the disc or whatever, you should be good.
    Fear is the mindkiller.
  • Posted on 07 April 19 at 19:57
    Anybody know if you can use a normal oblivion gamesave in the JP version?
  • JamPound32JamPound321,437,232
    Posted on 07 April 19 at 20:01
    Proud Dad MCAL said:
    No you can not.
  • zeldafanjtlzeldafanjtl252,571
    Posted on 07 April 19 at 22:19
    JamP0und32 said:
    Proud Dad MCAL said:
    No you can not.
    And this is almost always the case for stacks in general. Different achievement lists usually means no save compatibility.
  • Posted on 08 April 19 at 13:41
    zeldafanjtl said:
    JamP0und32 said:
    Proud Dad MCAL said:
    No you can not.
    And this is almost always the case for stacks in general. Different achievement lists usually means no save compatibility.
    Yea only one I can think of that works this way is Mass Effect 1 save can be imported for Mass Effect 2 JP version but that's a special case.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads