Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

TA Review: The War of the Worlds

• Posted on 06 November 11 at 21:46
    If your having trouble with using the x button to utilize run, I would not use the x button at all...I use the RT button and have had no problem with the games controls. The games controls are a bit touchy at times, but by the time you finish your first run through, you should get used to the controls.
    Matt
  • Posted on 06 November 11 at 22:24
    I luv the idea of TA doing reviews. You can never have enough viewpoints, and I find I can trust TA's opinion more than say IGN or GI. U also prevented me from making a bad buy. I like hard challenges, but its a completely different thing when half the challenge is bad controls. Cheers, and keep up the good work.
    Activision is the devil incarnate
  • Posted on 06 November 11 at 22:32
    I was thinking to make up my own review for this game, but I didn't feel like it for some reasons. I have yet to play this game a lot as I don't have enough space on my memory stick, plus I'm too busy with life. I'm thinking too serious to be the first few people to earn an "I Am Aurthur Clark" achievement and let someone call me a hardcore gaming heroes.

Anyway, nice review by the way. Controls sort of reminds me of Prince of Persia (in terms on how it simulate the characters' rotoscoping animation) , but I didn't come to think about Limbo for a good reason. If you're not used to this game (after playing trial game) or you're thinking this game gonna stink, you might want to stay sheer out of it until you feel like you're okay. I am used to be playing some crappy XBLA games, but at times most of them I did were finished and left a few unfinished.
  • Posted on 06 November 11 at 23:05
    I'd buy it if they fixed the controls.
    Sincerely,Your Dread Lord[img]http://homepage.mac.com/cyberskull/.Pictures/Me/FF6-CyberSkull_Long_Si
  • Posted on 07 November 11 at 00:12, Edited on 07 November 11 at 00:18 by R3NEG4D3
    DL CyberSkull said:
    People would buy it, if it didn't have hard achievements...Lets be honest now. cry
    Matt
  • Posted on 07 November 11 at 00:21
    R3NEG4D3 said:
    DL CyberSkull said:
    People would buy it, if it didn't have hard achievements...Lets be honest now. cry
    I'm all for difficulty, but when the main reason it's difficult is because of the broken controls, then I'm going to stay far away from it. I'd rather it be challenging, not frustrating.
    When life gives Chuck Norris lemons, he makes orange juice
  • Posted on 07 November 11 at 00:26
    Pass on this game
  • Posted on 07 November 11 at 00:42
    OfficerBarbrady said:
    R3NEG4D3 said:
    DL CyberSkull said:
    I'm all for difficulty, but when the main reason it's difficult is because of the broken controls, then I'm going to stay far away from it. I'd rather it be challenging, not frustrating.
    If this game completely sucked and the controls sucked, but you could get 200/200 in an hour, nobody would Bi*** about the controls.
    Matt
  • Posted on 07 November 11 at 00:45
    R3NEG4D3 said:
    OfficerBarbrady said:
    R3NEG4D3 said:
    DL CyberSkull said:
    If this game completely sucked and the controls sucked, but you could get 200/200 in an hour, nobody would Bi*** about the controls.
    Well of course, because it wouldn't be frustrating. From what I have heard, this game has broken controls and the enemies are unfair. Frustration =/= Fun.
  • Posted on 07 November 11 at 00:59, Edited on 07 November 11 at 02:13 by R3NEG4D3
    OfficerBarbrady said:
    R3NEG4D3 said:
    OfficerBarbrady said:
    R3NEG4D3 said:
    DL CyberSkull said:
    Well of course, because it wouldn't be frustrating. From what I have heard, this game has broken controls and the enemies are unfair. Frustration =/= Fun.
    I respect your opinion, but you obviously didn't play games in the 1980's or the early 90's.
    Matt
  • Zacry072Zacry0721,254,074
    Posted on 07 November 11 at 01:31
    I played the Trial and was not at all impressed, but I'm sure many will like its Limbo-esque puzzles and environment.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 07 November 11 at 01:35
    I LOVE Limbo but I can't play anything that is the least bit associated with Tom Cruise...IT'S F**KING TOM CRUISE PEOPLE!!!! facepalm
    Removal of the eyes, gives my heart a sudden chill.
  • Posted on 07 November 11 at 02:28, Edited on 07 November 11 at 02:29 by R3NEG4D3
    CoMANdo DOOM said:
    I LOVE Limbo but I can't play anything that is the least bit associated with Tom Cruise...IT'S F**KING TOM CRUISE PEOPLE!!!! facepalm
    Tell that to the people who bought the "Days of Thunder" arcade game.
    Matt
  • Posted on 07 November 11 at 03:19
    CoMANdo DOOM said:
    I wouldn't say it is. This is based on the original Wells novel.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 07 November 11 at 03:23
    N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
    CoMANdo DOOM said:
    I wouldn't say it is. This is based on the original Wells novel.
    Yes but down the line....somewhere....Tom Cruuuuiiiisssseee...
    Removal of the eyes, gives my heart a sudden chill.
  • MugenKairoMugenKairo262,156
    Posted on 07 November 11 at 04:30, Edited on 07 November 11 at 04:31 by MugenKairo
    I was hoping it would be a more Super Meat Boy platformer (in terms of controls) but an autosave feature on an incredibly difficult platformer with lengthy runs and lackluster controls? That just sounds cruel... Completing Limbo to 100% was a challenge and took me over 10 hours of practice but it was certainly doable.

Pass now I'm afraid.
  • Posted on 07 November 11 at 04:55
    I can't bring myself to pass up this game because of difficulty alone. I just want, so badly, to see and experience the whole game, even if I can't ever hope to complete it.
  • CormacCormac492,244
    Posted on 07 November 11 at 05:32
    Despite the fact you gave your conclusions away within the first few sentences this was a well written review (excepting the double use of the word traverse in relatively quick succession) but one which seems rather pointless since I neither had any interest in the game nor any inclination to read about it. I found myself reading it solely because the idea of a review appearing on the front page seems so alien.

Can I ask why this review takes precedence over the user written reviews for the other games on this site? Should it not just live alongside any other reviews for this game? By allowing this review such prominence you are essentially lending it unnecessary gravitas. In what way does this opinion deserve front page recognition?

I think you're heading down a dark alley.
    Put it on vibrate.
  • EastXEastX492,545
    Posted on 07 November 11 at 06:20
    Cormac said:
    Despite the fact you gave your conclusions away within the first few sentences this was a well written review (excepting the double use of the word traverse in relatively quick succession) but one which seems rather pointless since I neither had any interest in the game nor any inclination to read about it. I found myself reading it solely because the idea of a review appearing on the front page seems so alien.

Can I ask why this review takes precedence over the user written reviews for the other games on this site? Should it not just live alongside any other reviews for this game? By allowing this review such prominence you are essentially lending it unnecessary gravitas. In what way does this opinion deserve front page recognition?

What a terrible post.

First off, by mentioning how hard the game is at the beginning of the review, he's establishing the theme of the review. That the presentation well-represents the source novel but the gameplay is overly difficult. The review is actually very well-written.

Second, no one cares whether or not you're personally interested in the game. He didn't write the review for you alone; he wrote it for the general TA audience. And of course TA reviews should be given prominence over user reviews - they're part of the staff's output. Game publishers would be silly to provide review copies to a site that gives user reviews equal prominence.
    -Paul Acevedo, WPCentral - and Co-Optimus, yo!
  • Posted on 07 November 11 at 06:31
    EastX said:
    Cormac said:

What a terrible post.

First off, by mentioning how hard the game is at the beginning of the review, he's establishing the theme of the review. That the presentation well-represents the source novel but the gameplay is overly difficult. The review is actually very well-written.

Second, no one cares whether or not you're personally interested in the game. He didn't write the review for you alone; he wrote it for the general TA audience. And of course TA reviews should be given prominence over user reviews - they're part of the staff's output. Game publishers would be silly to provide review copies to a site that gives user reviews equal prominence.
    Thank you, sir! You took the words right out of my mouth!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.